Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Family Dinner

Oh man I thought the "if I said those three words...it would be a lie" from the trailer was misdirection.

It wasn't.

Excuse me I'm just going to pick the tattered pieces of my heart off the floor.

• Love 5

I had thought all week that I should really wait until tonight to start binging the new half season, but I woke up at 4:15 am this morning, and I told myself one little episode won’t hurt .... 

Dennis Haysbert makes for an excellent God Dad.  I like his repeated noncommittal “hmmm” when someone would make some kind of assertion to him that we as the audience know is probably wrong.  I thought that well conveyed someone who knows more than they feel at liberty to say.

Chloe was very fast on the uptake in realizing that Lucifer’s disappearance from the evidence room wasn’t about her.  Great detective-ing there.  She also has the patience of a saint to keep putting up with Lucifer after his behavior in this ep., and I was feeling very bad for her that Lucifer wasn’t confiding anything in her at all.  She shouldn’t have to stand for that.  And that last scene was brutal.  

I did find Lucifer (and to a lesser extent, Maze), to be an insufferable ass in this episode.  I know that there is storytelling basis for his emotional regression (by regression, I mean once again blaming God Dad for every bad thing in his life, even though Lucifer had his revelation about that previously) because God Dad’s physical appearance is the event bringing everything to a head and climax (and the journey Lucifer needs for healing), but that doesn’t mean that his petulant whining was pleasant to watch (again).  Normally, Lucifer is the most enjoyable character on screen, but his rants were mostly a bit tedious.  Like, I can sense there is a next level to Lucifer’s interactions with God that move beyond petulance into the raw emotional pain (like Lucifer’s pain in the last scene with Chloe), and I kind of felt ready to move there before the show seems ready. 

The case was once again ri-donk-ulous.  The only thing I have to say about it is that I was wondering if John Glover is well, because he looked so gaunt and gray.  Maybe it’s just age because I haven’t seen him much if it at all since “Smallville,” but I hope he’s okay.

• Love 2

Lucifer started to say Chloe was in first love in the last episode of season 4, I believe. So now this whole he can never say he loves Chloe seems like a pivot. Though I suppose now he's too afraid to love after having to leave everyone to go back to hell in s4. 

Everyone brought their comedy chops at the family dinner. This was a fun opener but, I'm still on the fence about God actually appearing. 

• Love 2

Lucifer is finally back!

As I figured, Dennis Haysbert seems to be a really good fit for this show's version of God a.k.a. "Dad."  He really gave off the sense of a being who is "all knowing" in a lot of ways, but it is easy to see why he has a strained relationship with his sons and others because of it, and while he might know, well, almost everything, he seems to not be able to form emotional connections in a way a father probably should.  He also plays off everyone pretty well already.  Obvious it was fun watching him face off against Lucifer (and Michael), but I'm definitely glad we are getting some meaty material between him and Amenadiel since Haysbert and D.B. Woodside played brothers in 24 years ago.

I definitely could say a lot about the family dinner scene, but I think it could all be summed up by Linda's reaction to all of it.  She was definitely the best character to be stuck in that awkward situation!

Who knew that the mini-golf business could get so deadly?!  To be fair, the "Kingdom" did look pretty swanky for a mini-golf course!  And the recognizable face (John Glover!) ended up not being the killer this time, although I did suspect something was up with the girlfriend, so that reveal wasn't too surprising.

Ella is still not over what happened with Pete, but at least Dan is being a good support system right now: thanks in part to still coming to grips about Lucifer's true identity.  But I so hope Dan gets to meet God as well!

Maze wants God to give her a soul and is clearly not happy that he refused.

Looks like the new obstacle in the never ending Lucifer/Chloe saga is that Lucifer doesn't think he is truly capable of saying "I love you" to her.  I'm finding that a bit of a stretch, but I'm guessing all this stuff with his dad is messing things up.  We shall see!

• Love 2

So we return for our final run of episodes, I am going to try and spread them out so I don't marathon through the whole show too fast but I promise nothing. Dennis Haysbert seems like a good choice as our father who art in heaven himself, he seems very calm and all knowing with this gentle smile like he knows something that we don't know. 

Who knew that the mini golf world was so cut throat? It was funny how even the characters are commenting on how every case they work on seems to thematically connect to their lives, this show does enjoy getting meta. 

The awkward family dinner was the big highlight, it really is nice to know that even eternal celestial beings often need heavy amounts of wine to get through a night with the family. A lot of good moments, like Linda trying to escape the awkwardness then breaking up the silence with hysterical laughter, Lucifer calling dad out on how he let Amenadiel think that he had fallen from his fathers favor despite what an obedient son he is, Michael and Lucifer getting into each others grills, Dad getting old estimate for a minute, much celestial drama. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Lucifer started to say Chloe was in first love in the last episode of season 4, I believe. So now this whole he can never say he loves Chloe seems like a pivot. Though I suppose now he's too afraid to love after having to leave everyone to go back to hell in s4. 

Everyone brought their comedy chops at the family dinner. This was a fun opener but, I'm still on the fence about God actually appearing. 

Yes, this was amusing in places, and even though I expected the obvious jokes, it cracked me up when Lindatried to get out of dinner, and said, “I’m used to you being up there”.

Chloe and Lucifer are convincing in those emotional (and sometimes brutal) scenes, but that was a total cop-out.  He did say that she was his first love.  Eve wasn’t it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Lucifer pissed me off this episode.  He deliberately ruined the family dinner (doesn’t seem to have much luck w/those, even tho S1’s wasn’t deliberate).  He ran off when God appeared, not even letting Chloe know something was amiss.  He hasn’t told why he was out of sorts this episode.  Again he treats Amenadiel like dirt.  And that brutal ending scene w/Chloe.  Obviously not true, because one can see the 💕 in his eyes when he was talking to her.

And we still don’t know Michael (or Mykyel HAH) plans.  Unless it’s been to discredit both Luci and Amenadiel to his other siblings, be cause he knew God wants to retire and he wants to line himself up.  At least he’s gone for now.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I was mostly on Lucifer's side in the family dinner scene.

Michael was the snivelling suck-up, Amenadiel had regressed back to the obedient daddy's boy, and Linda was too busy being uncomfortable. Lucifer was the only one who could ask the hard questions and speak the hard truths that'd been stewing in the text and subtext since season 1. I don't think Dad not getting a nice family dinner is the end of the world, especially when his children at the table had legitimate grievances with each other (Amenadiel and Lucifer vs Michael) that he refused to acknowledge. He is/was a harsh, neglectful father, which even Amenadiel admitted, and he can stand to not get his way once in a while. Plus, since God's supposed to be omnipotent and all, he should have known what would happen if he tried to force a friendly sit-down and pretend that nothing was wrong. 

• Love 12
On 5/28/2021 at 3:41 PM, Anela said:

Chloe and Lucifer are convincing in those emotional (and sometimes brutal) scenes, but that was a total cop-out.  He did say that she was his first love.

I call it manufactured drama and lazy writing in an otherwise enjoyable episode. They could make them a couple. There's plenty of drama to mine. 

• Love 3
On 5/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, aquarian1 said:

I loved Linda's revelation about the chicken and her cracking up about it.

Linda was the best part of the episode! Her revelation about the chicken was hilarious. Also her asking God do you want water or wine? Oh for you it's the same thing. Was funny!

• Love 5

I haven't been on Netflix for a while, so imagine my surprise to find that new episodes of Lucifer had dropped in the meantime!  Yay!

That dinner scene is a classic, as was the whole idea of God just calmly going about slicing and dicing and roasting like it was no big deal to be preparing dinner.  "It's the rosemary." had me going until Linda's chicken thing, which sent wine through my nose.

Did anyone else notice that Luci's souffle didn't fall?  Talk about divine intervention....

• Love 1
11 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Did anyone else notice that Luci's souffle didn't fall?  Talk about divine intervention....

Indeed. I was watching that thing like a hawk, lol. 

On 5/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, BabySpinach said:

I was mostly on Lucifer's side in the family dinner scene.

Michael was the snivelling suck-up, Amenadiel had regressed back to the obedient daddy's boy, and Linda was too busy being uncomfortable. Lucifer was the only one who could ask the hard questions and speak the hard truths that'd been stewing in the text and subtext since season 1. I don't think Dad not getting a nice family dinner is the end of the world, especially when his children at the table had legitimate grievances with each other (Amenadiel and Lucifer vs Michael) that he refused to acknowledge. He is/was a harsh, neglectful father, which even Amenadiel admitted, and he can stand to not get his way once in a while. Plus, since God's supposed to be omnipotent and all, he should have known what would happen if he tried to force a friendly sit-down and pretend that nothing was wrong. 

Absolutely. All these seasons, we've seen Lucifer rail against God, but God's never actually been there. He's just thrown things and yelled at the sky, and felt unheard. So to me, this family conversation -- especially Lucifer getting out a lot of what he'd been feeling for so long -- was a long, long time coming and needed to happen. Even if some of it is Lucifer being childish, not all of it is for that reason. He has some serious pain and it's about time God stopped with the cryptic answers and listened to his son. I was like, "FINALLY!" 

And totally laughed at Linda's chicken joke. So funny.

• Love 1

I watched a fascinating video on You Tube of the cast rehearsing the dinner scene.  It was early in the process, I think. Everyone was still working from the script and making suggestions for improvements (well, mostly Rachael and Tom). The director walking around, watching from all directions, the cast working out how best to serve the writing. Really interesting...check it out.

• Love 1