Type keyword(s) to search

Katie and Travis: Young Love?

• Start Topic

Lucy aside, it is actually recommended to test drive/tour the hospital if possible before the birth:

"Plan the route you'll take ahead of time, including where to park and which entrance to use when it's time to check yourself in. You can get a handle on these logistics by taking an in-person or virtual tour of your hospital or birth center. During a hospital tour, you'll learn about basic policies and see the labor rooms and nursery (if there is one)."

https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/your-body/10-smart-ways-to-prepare-for-your-babys-birth_10328975

Another:

"Find the entrance. It sounds obvious, but if you go into labor in the middle of the night, which door will you need to use? Some hospitals require that you to enter through the emergency room, so take note of your options by scheduling a tour before D-day. If you'll be arriving in your own car, it's also a good idea to know where you should park.

Map it out. If you’re lucky, you’ve never rushed to your local hospital before. You know the way, of course — or at least you did before the latest highway construction project tore up the nearest exit. Now’s a great time to map out the most direct route and then do a dry run by driving it with your partner. Plan an alternate route too, just in case the exit is closed or traffic is at a standstill."

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/labor-and-delivery/preparing/hospital-or-birthing-center.aspx

• Useful 4
17 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Lucy aside, it is actually recommended to test drive/tour the hospital if possible before the birth:

"Plan the route you'll take ahead of time, including where to park and which entrance to use when it's time to check yourself in. You can get a handle on these logistics by taking an in-person or virtual tour of your hospital or birth center. During a hospital tour, you'll learn about basic policies and see the labor rooms and nursery (if there is one)."

https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/your-body/10-smart-ways-to-prepare-for-your-babys-birth_10328975

Another:

"Find the entrance. It sounds obvious, but if you go into labor in the middle of the night, which door will you need to use? Some hospitals require that you to enter through the emergency room, so take note of your options by scheduling a tour before D-day. If you'll be arriving in your own car, it's also a good idea to know where you should park.

Map it out. If you’re lucky, you’ve never rushed to your local hospital before. You know the way, of course — or at least you did before the latest highway construction project tore up the nearest exit. Now’s a great time to map out the most direct route and then do a dry run by driving it with your partner. Plan an alternate route too, just in case the exit is closed or traffic is at a standstill."

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/labor-and-delivery/preparing/hospital-or-birthing-center.aspx

I think this advice is fine for people who are not going to their local hospital and/or have never been to the hospital where they are delivering.  However, assuming basic literacy (big assumption with this bunch), hospitals have well marked emergency entrances, usually with special signage to direct labor patients.  Parking is usually nearby and also well-marked.  It doesn't require a lot of pre-planning to read the signs and follow directions; unless you're a Bates.  BTW, average labor for a first baby: 12-16 hours.  NOBODY should be rushing to the hospital in a panic for their first kid.  If something scary is happening, call 911.

I will say that there is a fair bit of research showing that taking tours of the hospital birthing unit as well as taking childbirth preparation courses there has been shown to decrease maternal anxiety re: the birth significantly and that women who are less anxious have shorter labors, need less pain medication and are overall more satisfied with the experience.  I give every pregnant patient a flyer with video links to take a virtual tour as well as info on how to schedule classes and/or an in-person tour and strongly encourage doing it.

s it terribly mean of me to hope that her makeup sweats off and her hair gets irredeemably matted so that she isn't "perfect" in the first baby photos? 

Isn't that why Katie is so insistent that Carlin be there?  I am sure she'll be standing by with the Aquanet and the spackle before the first photos are taken.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
10 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Going to an entrance they had never used before was specifically mentioned by Travis. 

And figuring out how to open a door he'd never been through before required extra practice?  Because the extra special, super duper door just for pregnant ladies was not like every other door to the place?  It was undoubtedly the ER entrance which anyone with half a brain knows how to find.  And, being as Katie is a Bates, she has had far more experience going to the ER than other people her age.  She can show him how to push the button to open the door and walk up to the desk that will inevitably be right in front of them.  The staff will take them from there, people having babies are not set loose without guidance to find their way, especially not dunces like this bunch.

I can see taking a quick drive through the parking lot to see where the entrance was and where the parking was in relation to it, but who needs to practice packing the car?  What the heck are they bringing with them? Labor rooms are usually pretty small, bringing a bunch of unnecessary crap along is only going to make it smaller.  How difficult is it to toss a small duffle bag into the back seat?  Anything she needs later, including clothes to go home for her and the baby, should be left in the car or at home until after she has delivered and been moved to a regular room anyway

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 7
8 minutes ago, floridamom said:

This baby may be born on my birthday, 2/19! Oh no. Why did Katie develop 3 infections? Is she not taking care of herself?

I feel like this is yet another product of Katie's shitty upbringing. Routine care was non-existent, and those kids only went to the E.R. as a last resort. I guarantee they're all used to ignoring or downplaying symptoms of illness. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I feel like this is yet another product of Katie's shitty upbringing. Routine care was non-existent, and those kids only went to the E.R. as a last resort. I guarantee they're all used to ignoring or downplaying symptoms of illness. 

I seriously doubt that Katie had 3 separate serious infections.  They are not the least bit medically savvy and they love to play it up for social media.  

One of the 'infections' is probably a positive vaginal Group B Strep test.  This is done on all pregnant women because GBS can cause serious infections in the uterus or in newborns when it is present at the time of birth.  However, GBS itself is NOT an infection, it is part of the normal flora, the non-infectious bacteria that we all carry around with us in about 30% of women.  No treatment needed until labor because it is harmless except at the time of delivery.  So, that's 1 infection.

Wasn't Katie diagnosed with a UTI recently and it was thought to be the reason she was having false labor?  If so, there's infection number 2, easily treated with oral antibiotics which probably gave her a yeast infection which would be infection number 3.

These folks love to make mountains out of molehills and, if Katie truly had 3 significant infections, she would be in the ICU, not posting on Instagram.

• Like 6
  • Useful 5

I think Trav and Katie had at least 3 or 4 bags for the hospital. One for her, one for Trav, one for Hailey and one with snacks. There was a whole SM post about it. It was like they were going on vacation for a week.

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

These folks love to make mountains out of molehills lie through their teeth to get attention and, if Katie truly had 3 significant infections, she would be in the ICU, not posting on Instagram.

Fixed that for you. 

I'm sure Carlin and Giggle Boy are waiting impatiently with the makeup, hairspray, and cameras to get some clicks. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 5

Just have a freaking packed bag IN the car.

Hospitals around my area are admittedly confusing, but I think all have online maps, as well as valets, never mind all the staff and visitors and patients coming and going. I drive-by is a good idea, an enactment is a bit over the top.

So what is it - 19 hours and counting?

• Like 5

Funny story - daughter in law's sister was having first. This was 12 years ago. They had packed a DVD player, their own lamps, etc. You can imagine.  Then her doctor was on vacation, she ended up having a section with a doctor she had never met before.  This woman is educated and was not  that young.  And, she survived and went on to have another baby.  And less packing that time.  Thinking about it now still gives me the giggles.  Maybe they were setting the stage for the Batseses?

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
16 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Funny story - daughter in law's sister was having first. This was 12 years ago. They had packed a DVD player, their own lamps, etc. You can imagine.  Then her doctor was on vacation, she ended up having a section with a doctor she had never met before.  This woman is educated and was not  that young.  And, she survived and went on to have another baby.  And less packing that time.  Thinking about it now still gives me the giggles.  Maybe they were setting the stage for the Batseses?

LAMPS?! Did they think the hospital delivered babies by candlelight? 

I wonder if the hospital has a Starbucks (the hospital where I have to spend a lot of time has one, and it's always busy). It would save Carlin some time. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I wonder if the hospital has a Starbucks (the hospital where I have to spend a lot of time has one, and it's always busy). It would save Carlin some time. 

They're probably were also unaware that hospitals specifically tell people not to bring plug in appliances other than blow dryers or phone chargers because of concern about electrical shorts.  If a patient shows up with anything other than that, the staff is supposed to contact clinical engineering to come and check out the equipment to be sure it won't trip the breakers.  Most likely they won't even bother and will tell you to haul your junk back home or offer to lock it up in the nurses' station until you're discharged.

Once again, even if Travis is planning on staying, even if she has a cesarean and doesn't plan on leaving her side until she is released, there is no reason to show up for labor with more than the basic toiletries like toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant.  Maybe a change of socks, underwear and a clean T shirt.  Katie doesn't even need that much, nor does the baby.  it should all fit into a small tote or duffel.  BTW, do the nurses laugh at you behind your back when you show up in labor with a huge wheeled suitcase, half a dozen pillows and a sound system?  You better believe they do!  They not only laugh, they point!

So, Katie announced 'baby girl' ( I hate that, you already named her, idiot) was arriving on Friday.  Seems like it must've been dark in there and 'baby girl' couldn't see the calendar.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Notabug said:

I think this advice is fine for people who are not going to their local hospital and/or have never been to the hospital where they are delivering.  However, assuming basic literacy (big assumption with this bunch), hospitals have well marked emergency entrances, usually with special signage to direct labor patients.  Parking is usually nearby and also well-marked.  It doesn't require a lot of pre-planning to read the signs and follow directions; unless you're a Bates.  BTW, average labor for a first baby: 12-16 hours.  NOBODY should be rushing to the hospital in a panic for their first kid.  If something scary is happening, call 911.

I will say that there is a fair bit of research showing that taking tours of the hospital birthing unit as well as taking childbirth preparation courses there has been shown to decrease maternal anxiety re: the birth significantly and that women who are less anxious have shorter labors, need less pain medication and are overall more satisfied with the experience.  I give every pregnant patient a flyer with video links to take a virtual tour as well as info on how to schedule classes and/or an in-person tour and strongly encourage doing it.

Isn't that why Katie is so insistent that Carlin be there?  I am sure she'll be standing by with the Aquanet and the spackle before the first photos are taken.

All of the above--100% My thoughts exactly! If it's her local hospital, it shouldn't be that unfamiliar that they'd need a dress rehearsal.  And did Katie not take a childbirth class? Mine included a tour of the hospital with information such as entrances that are not used after a certain hour (i.e. you have to come in through the ER entrance and report to security to be then brought up to maternity. If this is the case with her hospital, them practicing during the day would be pointless if she goes into labor in the middle of the night).

3 hours ago, Notabug said:

And figuring out how to open a door he'd never been through before required extra practice?  Because the extra special, super duper door just for pregnant ladies was not like every other door to the place?  It was undoubtedly the ER entrance which anyone with half a brain knows how to find.  And, being as Katie is a Bates, she has had far more experience going to the ER than other people her age.  She can show him how to push the button to open the door and walk up to the desk that will inevitably be right in front of them.  The staff will take them from there, people having babies are not set loose without guidance to find their way, especially not dunces like this bunch.

I can see taking a quick drive through the parking lot to see where the entrance was and where the parking was in relation to it, but who needs to practice packing the car?  What the heck are they bringing with them? Labor rooms are usually pretty small, bringing a bunch of unnecessary crap along is only going to make it smaller.  How difficult is it to toss a small duffle bag into the back seat?  Anything she needs later, including clothes to go home for her and the baby, should be left in the car or at home until after she has delivered and been moved to a regular room anyway

Ditto here too!   Even if she has a nice sized room (my hospital did not do separate labor rooms; you just delivered in the room you were staying in and I had a double occupancy room w/no roommate with my first kid), you don't need much in a basic overnight bag when you arrive. You take plenty more home than what you arrive with anyways (balloons/flowers/gifts, diaper bags and promos the formula companies give out, etc.) so it's just more stuff to load up in the car. And it's not like if she forgot something she did need a family member couldn't drop it off when they come to see the baby. 

3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Once again, even if Travis is planning on staying, even if she has a cesarean and doesn't plan on leaving her side until she is released, there is no reason to show up for labor with more than the basic toiletries like toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant.  Maybe a change of socks, underwear and a clean T shirt.  Katie doesn't even need that much, nor does the baby.  it should all fit into a small tote or duffel.  BTW, do the nurses laugh at you behind your back when you show up in labor with a huge wheeled suitcase, half a dozen pillows and a sound system?  You better believe they do!  They not only laugh, they point!

I've seen some lists of what to pack in your hospital bag out on various pregnancy websites in the past and they tend to include things the hospital generally provides or you'll probably never need/use.  I did some serious eye rolling the last time I saw one on Pinterest or someplace like that.  They have a tendency to make waiting for a baby to arrive seem like waiting for a delayed flight. 

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I know, we all laughed at them, to their faces.  Crazy for otherwise normal adults.  None of it got used after all, no surprise.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

IIRC, Joy Duggar Forsyth brought and decorated her L&D room with some fairy/patio lights that she (well, probably Austin) strung around the room or the bed.  

Those are at least pretty small and probably battery operated. Also, if they get broken or lost, no one is going to be out a lot of money either. I think it's ok to bring in something to use as a focus or to remind you of home; it's the attempt to re-decorate the entire room that you're not even going to remember once the baby comes that is a waste of time and space.  I've got no problem with someone bringing a small photo of their other kids (although those are on the phone anyway) or their favorite pillow; there is just no reason to expect that you're going to have the free time, the interest or the energy to use a bunch of stuff you don't use daily in your regular life.  Also, once the baby comes and you're moved to a postpartum room, someone is going to have to haul all your junk to the new room and I guarantee you, it will not be the nursing staff.  Unless your support person works as a sherpa on the side, it is best not to have a lot of stuff for someone to load and unload and drag from place to place.

Most of us pack too much when we go on vacation, too, and don't use half of what we brought.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 7

The only things I brought for my deliveries were toiletries and an outfit for me and the baby to go home in. But I also knew I was hightailing out of the hospital the first chance I got. My friend brought pretty much the same except she also brought make-up and hair supplies. We're still the same - she gets Botox, hair done every 6 weeks, etc, and I talk myself out of going gray every couple of months.

All these snacks the Bates and Duggars bring - is that a new thing? We were told not to eat during labor, just incase we ended up needing a C-section.

• Like 10

While I was in labor, I was only allowed ice chips. 

i hope her snacks are for after she delivers. Does she not realize: 

1. She’ll be exhausted and sore

2. Her idiot teenage husband will be demanding numerous pix for social media. 

3. Hospitals provide food. LOLOL

Edited by answerphone
Typo
  • Like 5
20 minutes ago, answerphone said:

While I was in labor, I was only allowed ice chips. 

i hope her snacks are for after she delivers. Does she not realize: 

1. She’ll be exhausted and sore

2. Her idiot teenage husband will be demanding numerous pix for social media. 

3. Hospitals provide food. LOLOL

I doubt her husband is the one clamoring for social media pictures. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The only things I brought for my deliveries were toiletries and an outfit for me and the baby to go home in. But I also knew I was hightailing out of the hospital the first chance I got. My friend brought pretty much the same except she also brought make-up and hair supplies. We're still the same - she gets Botox, hair done every 6 weeks, etc, and I talk myself out of going gray every couple of months.

All these snacks the Bates and Duggars bring - is that a new thing? We were told not to eat during labor, just incase we ended up needing a C-section.

The snacks are for the dad. Just as no one these days can go anywhere without their travel mug glued to their hand, no one can conceive of being caught without Doritos instantly available.  Vending machines in a lot of hospitals, like the one where I work, no longer provide sugary beverages or candy.  It's all granola and bottled water nowadays. People want their junk food.  There are also goofuses like the Bates who think they need to be sitting at their loved ones side, staring at her like they're waiting for her to hatch an egg and don't want to leave long enough to get something from the cafeteria.  We used to have snacks like apples and yogurt and juice available for dads and people would walk into the snack room, clean it out into their bag and take it all home, so that was the end of that.

Times have changed, though, and especially since an induction can last a couple of days, women are at the very least getting popsicles and ginger ale and such.  I tell everyone going to the hospital for an induction to eat a decent meal before they arrive.  If an induction is going slowly and the woman isn't in labor after a shift or so, we often stop the pitocin and have her get up, stretch her legs, take a shower and eat a regular meal before starting up again.

Nowadays, with the widespread availability of epidurals and spinals that can be placed and are ready to use in a couple minutes, it is rare for someone to get general anesthesia which was the big risk factor for aspiration.

Also, women who have been allowed liquids have less acidic stomach contents.  After a fast, there is a lot more acid in there which damages the lungs in aspiration.

For those playing along at home, it is now almost 24 hours since Katie announced the baby was 'arriving today'.  Which means that had Carlin and her entourage been home in Tennessee waiting for word that she was heading to the hospital; there would've been more than enough time for the Stew crew to hop in the car and drive to NJ and get there before the kid.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4
13 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Baby video is up, well Part 1 anyway. Kelly is back in town. 

Yowza!  I stand corrected!  Katie actually went into labor on her own (although she sure wasn't in much labor during Part 1 of her video)!  It also seems like she had a reasonably short labor and, most shocking of all, they WAITED overnight, about 20 hours after the birth before announcing it online!  Clearly Evan was not present.  They probably had to tie him to a chair and gag him to prevent him from hopping online and spilling the beans.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • LOL 4

"Hailey James Clark entered into the world on February 17th at 10:29 p.m. Baby and Momma are healthy and doing great! We are thanking God for giving us the biggest blessing of our lives! Part 2 will come out Monday! Thank you for your patience as we soak in all this baby time!" -- from the video.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Born on my brother's birthday. His middle name is also James. Here's hoping Hailey is less of an asshole than my self-absorbed, spoiled, golden penis half-brother. Think Rhett Webster but not fundie. 

I'm giggling at the idea of Evan dancing around, camera in hand, barely able to contain himself until he can post videos and photos of the baby. Giggle giggle giggle 

24 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Travis is not as annoying as Evan. That’s all I’ve got. 😁

That's a damn low bar! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

So after days and days of “the baby could come any time!” the time comes and SHE DOESN’T WANT TO GO.

Then Travis and Giggles for Free Stuff Stewart are probably late getting back because they have to film what’s going on in the car. WE KNOW. We’ve watched your indecisive wife pace around so long it felt like we were there the whole time. Than more delays. Indecisive. Missed calls. Sitting in the car and praying. Jesus wants you to hit the road, Katie. Although I can’t blame you for taking a moment just for yourselves. 
Also, had Giggles and Travis been playing golf in the dark? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

That food looks nasty. That’s all I got.  

It looks like ordinary spaghetti with meat sauce. Why go to the trouble of getting overpriced restaurant carryout for something you can cook yourself at home, and probably have? Why not get something, I don't know, different

Bateses are freaking weird. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Heathen said:

It looks like ordinary spaghetti with meat sauce. Why go to the trouble of getting overpriced restaurant carryout for something you can cook yourself at home, and probably have? Why not get something, I don't know, different

Bateses are freaking weird. 

I would go with maybe it is her comfort food. I'm sure not for everyone. I love a bowl of pasta and red sauce. Any time. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1