Type keyword(s) to search

Katie and Travis: Young Love?

• Start Topic

Do we know when the wedding is? Seems like it’s sooner rather than later. The dress shopping was on YouTube, maybe Carlin’s channel? I had to laugh when Katie stated the dress needed to be elegant. Can’t wait to see what passes for elegant to a Fundie 20 year old bride. Hopefully elegant will extend to Kelly Jo. At the dress shopping all the sisters had cute dresses on but KJ had her good old denim skirt on! At least she left the fugly vest at home.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Katie posted that the wedding will be in December. Travis plans to graduate from his "college" next spring (in 3 years). 

Ok thanks! I saw maybe Evan or Carlin or someone on YouTube making it seem like a big secret. Fake drama. I guess it’s a Fundie thing to marry just before you graduate, cause why wait another few months? By his graduation, Katie could be expecting, lol.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

I wonder if her colors will still be black/white. My cousin picked those for her wedding and it looked really nice.

It would be perfect for a NYE wedding. But they're so young; that might be too sophisticated for them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Graduating in 3 years from start to finish instead of the usual 4 years. Someone looked up the curriculum for this college awhile back. Surprised that he didn't finnish in 2 years. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

How did this 20 year old in "college" manage to buy a house? I mean maybe he has a part time job but I doubt shifts at some local retail store get you even a 10% down payment on a house. Not to mention this is a house in NJ, not rural Tenn. Granted it's not in the commutable to NYC part of NJ which is REALLY expensive, but being from a town adjacent to his, even Southern NJ (commutable to Philadelphia) is WAY WAY more expensive than any part of rural Knoxville and property taxes EVERYWHERE in NJ are REALLY high. Like he's going to pay in property tax in a month what Katie's Tennessee siblings pay in a whole year. It's a tiny little brick house, but really no different than what Bobby and Kelton have bought and what Chad rents -- except Bobby and Kelton are 3 years out of college and are in the skilled trades and not part time. And then on tonight's IG stories, he's showing that he is gut renovating the house. Not some paint and some new bathrooms, but literally they are down to the beams, changing the flow of the house (I assume they want open concept), changing where the front door is, putting in bathrooms where they didn't exist before etc. Can't imagine he's doing it all himself -- and Prince Chad hasn't been there -- so he must be hiring contractors at least for the important things like structural, plumbing and electrical, even if he can then handle putting up the dry wall and painting it.

I assume his family is well to do? Do we assume they gave him the down payment + the gut renovation money? Or is this one of those things were mom and dad buy a house as their own investment property and oh look we'll call it Travis's house bc he'll pay us the rent that pays the mortgage and he'll be the one to deal with the contractor but look he's ready for marriage -- he has a house at 20 years old?

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

IIRC, the house,was no more than $90k, but I think it was closer to $70k. As you noted, it's basically a gut job. 2br/1ba, I believe.

They are in a rural, apparently cheap part of Jersey. The parents' home lists for a hair under $400k, and it's a substantial house. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

IIRC, the house,was no more than $90k, but I think it was closer to $70k. As you noted, it's basically a gut job. 2br/1ba, I believe.

They are in a rural, apparently cheap part of Jersey. The parents' home lists for a hair under $400k, and it's a substantial house. 

So he's used to living in a substantial house and she's used to a substantially rural setting hours many away where she's constantly with most of her immediate family.   

Doesn't sounds like a situation set up with any inherent frustrations or disappointments whatsoever. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

It was sold at $72,000 and I saw the tax records.  He only pays $550 per quarter (I live about 30-40 mins away and pay much more. I’m jealous!) Looking at the deed, it seems he bought it from his neighbor for cash. Maybe a private mortgage is correct. The Zillow only had an outside pic but compared to the pic he originally posted, he did a lot of outside work already. 

• Love 1

Isn't this boy under 21 years of age? I don't think a minor can purchase a house on their own. I think he needed his parents' co-signing it. How in the world is this kid getting married???

I give it a year before they're selling and moving. Katie is incredibly immature and a relatively "conservative" enclave of Jersey is still a different planet than Tennessee. She's too enmeshed with her family to be happy anywhere else. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I give it a year before they're selling and moving. Katie is incredibly immature and a relatively "conservative" enclave of Jersey is still a different planet than Tennessee. She's too enmeshed with her family to be happy anywhere else. 

I’m guessing as soon as Katie is pregnant she will start lobbying for a move to Tennessee. What is Travis going to be doing once he graduates? Is there some sort of family business? That would be the only thing that might stop a move.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

These people are like Bobby and Tori 2.0. She's a complainer who is dependent on her family and also clueless -- like she wouldn't notice or care if her man wasn't happy. And Travis seems JUST like Bobby -- like not genuinely even happy with the courtship but smiling politely to get himself a wife and some time in the sack with her. All thru his courtship, engagement day, and even on their honeymoon Bobby gave off a vibe that he found Tori annoying. Like when he was taking her to the mountains in NC to get engaged and she kept going -- omg do you have a ring, where is it, where is it, are you gonna ask now, now, now?! And he was smiling sweetly while his face said OMG SHUT UP. Same with the honeymoon where she was making SUCH a big deal about cooking and how she'd never cooked string beans or potatoes this way blah blah, while he was the one actually doing the cooking -- that he snapped -- just watch the string beans for 2 min while I go get the steaks off the gril!?

Travis seems just like that -- annoyed that she smashed ice cream in his face at an ice cream store in Knox; PISSED that she was making fun of him because he's not big on ice cream and only tends to get vanilla; annoyed that she purposely threw cake on his jacket at his birthday at his family's house; annoyed that her family insists on dating chaperones while Kelly cackles about how they can babysit Jeb and Jud, while he's like WTF I'm not here to babysit your kids!?

He's too young to realize that sex will not make a marriage happy with someone you already find annoying. And BTW buddy it'll be free and clear young person sex for maybe 3 weeks to 2 months until she's pregnant and then it'll be no sex and/or pregnant sex for the rest of your 20s and lots of your 30s too.

In Tori fashion, I imagine Katie gets pregnant within a month of marriage. Then whines non stop about how hard it is to be away from her family while pregnant and with an infant and lo and behold, they'll be planning to move back to Knox in time to have the baby delivered by Dr. Vick or shortly thereafter. IIRC Tori ended up living in Nashville with Bobby for all of 12 months max. They married in Dec of 2017, moved to Nashville in March/April 2018 after Tori was already pregnant as there was an episode with Dr. Vick saying they'll transfer her care to a dr. in Nashville, Kade was born in Nov 2018 in Nashville, and I believe they had moved back to Knox by the time was 3-4 months old max. With Tori I'm sure complaining to Bobby the whole time about how it was sooooo hard to manage 1 baby by herself with no family help all day long.

I imagine Katie will take the same path. The only way it doesn't happen is if he 100% digs in his heels about living near HIS mommy and daddy and/or just flat out vetoes it because he hates her family. I hope he can look at Bobby and realize that that's him in 4-5 years. Though I don't think he's mature or self aware enough to even be able to make comparisons like that and because Bobby seems 1000% happy with his kids (he really does seem to love his sons a lot and very excited for his daughter) and has set up a tolerable life by spending 40 hrs/wk with his bestie, Travis probably can't even distinguish whether Bobby is genuinely happy or making it work for his kids with his best friend's help. Like you need life experience to be able to gauge things like that and a 20 year old who has never lived away from mommy and daddy just doesn't have that.

• Love 12

^^^^Wow, yes, this!^^^ Cereality, you are exactly right with your post. How is it that the adults in these families just don't see it? Those future grooms need to open their mouths NOW and tell it like it is for them. Katie is an immature, silly girl. She has absolutely NO growth experience. Her fiance' has just a tad more than she does. Non of their parents are doing their job or doing these two children any favors. I hope Travis purchases a yearly dry-cleaning plan from his local dry cleaner for all of the food that his wife will smear on his clothing. Such an awful thing to do to someone. She had better not do that with their wedding cake.  He needs to take that whole wedding cake and dump it on her head if she does that. Perhaps that will cure her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

^^^^Wow, yes, this!^^^ Cereality, you are exactly right with your post. How is it that the adults in these families just don't see it? Those future grooms need to open their mouths NOW and tell it like it is for them. Katie is an immature, silly girl. She has absolutely NO growth experience. Her fiance' has just a tad more than she does. Non of their parents are doing their job or doing these two children any favors. I hope Travis purchases a yearly dry-cleaning plan from his local dry cleaner for all of the food that his wife will smear on his clothing. Such an awful thing to do to someone. She had better not do that with their wedding cake.  He needs to take that whole wedding cake and dump it on her head if she does that. Perhaps that will cure her.

Agree 100% with this and Cereality post. So immature. Katie has stated she wants an elegant dress for the wedding so I’m sure cake smears will really complete the elegant look. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, floridamom said:

The cake smashing/ice cream smashing just shows how much she doesn't know her groom and doesn't care. In her fundie mind, ALL guys love it when girls are cute and playful and what's cuter than throwing food -- like a little girl may do in IDK 1st grade to get a boy's attention?? Reality is Travis isn't Evan. Evan -- annoying as he is -- is a playful type of guy. I don't think he'd mind cake or ice cream thrown on him; just as he got sooo excited making a YT video with Carlin where they went from one fast food place to the other ordering whatever the guy in front of them had. Travis OTOH has a demeanor that's closer to Bobby or maybe even Brandon -- a little more serious. Clearly he's NOT excited by ice cream. Does not want to be made fun of for being not LOVING ice cream. And does not like his clothing messed up with cake or ice cream on it. Anyone who has spent 10 min with him might notice that he's a serious kind of guy, don't do these things. OR if you are looking for a playful type of guy, that's fine, move on and find someone who fits your personality better.

You KNOW she will smash wedding cake in his face and laugh if it gets on his tux. You KNOW he'll be expected to smile sweetly as if he's fine with it because honestly he's marrying for sex and this girl will allow him to get some in the next half hour so what can he say -- last thing he needs is going into the honeymoon suite with a wife at all mad at him for saying something or smashing cake in HER face and ruining her makeup.

Yeah none of these parents are doing their kids any favors. Reality is in these conservative cultures (fundie but also other conservative faiths around the world), marriage is ALL that matters. Just get them married off ASAP. Doesn't matter if they don't know themselves yet, if they don't know each other, if they aren't genuinely happy with each other, if they aren't mentally or emotionally ready, have some sort of physical or mental problem that hasn't been dealt with (I'm not saying these two do but look at say Josh Duggar; and the conservative side of my family - an aspergers guy who can't talk to anyone let alone women, NBD marry him off) -- no no it's ok, they'll deal with it, marriage fixes those "day to day" problems (i.e. in a culture where you can't divorce one person will compromise and twist themselves into a pretzel to make marriage work even if it makes them miserable for life-- i.e. Bobby), I mean at least they HAVE some one and aren't going to be single or childless at 35 - the horrors . . . .

IDK anything about Travis's parents but if they're pushing this along/haven't slowed it down -- which they haven't seemed to or else they really could have put it in their son's head that no matter what Katie and Kelly say he is not to propose until after age 22 and no he isn't graduating early to get married -- then they are just like G&K. Say what you will about Bobby, but his parents have always seemed 1000% not pleased with his decision. Like they couldn't stop him obviously but they also weren't pushing him along and if he had said -- I think I want to break up with her or IDK I like her but I just want to date her until age 25 not marry 6 months after graduation, I think they would have supported him. I mean his mom was PISSED that he moved to Knox to live in a trailer to be with her; at the wedding both his parents were NOT elated but more like yeah well he's married; and when they showed the parents recently at Kade's 2nd birthday they just seem like their interactions with both Bobby and Tori are pretty limited and "transactional" -- they seem not to like her nor like how his life is or maybe they see their son isn't happy and feel bad but obviously don't want to mess anything up for him/his family so they stay distant.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 15

Does anyone remember when the whole "smash cake in their face" trend actually became a thing. It wasn't when I got married in 1980, or at any of my brothers' weddings- the latest was 1998.  My daughter got married in 2016 and she and her husband did not do it.

The funny thing is that it seems to have taken off just as weddings got more elaborate and every little detail was cause for obsession.

I will say that if Katie does not realize or care what Travis' likes and dislikes are then she has no business getting married.  That's no way to start a life together and since divorce is not an option it could very well end up being a very long, miserable existence. 

Say what you will about Carlin and Evan, but they really like each other and seem to have a lot of fun together.  The other couples, with the notable exception of Bobby and Tori, also seem well suited.  Katie just seems to want to be married to a guy who is easy on the eyes, and isn't thinking beyond her wedding day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Does anyone remember when the whole "smash cake in their face" trend actually became a thing. It wasn't when I got married in 1980, or at any of my brothers' weddings- the latest was 1998.  My daughter got married in 2016 and she and her husband did not do it.

The funny thing is that it seems to have taken off just as weddings got more elaborate and every little detail was cause for obsession.

I'd guess late 1990s or early 2000s is when it started and it lasted until probably like 2005 or so -- when social media took off. Like as soon as IG became a thing, the cake smashing went away because you want your guests to hashtag PERFECT pictures which isn't happening when someone is caught on camera with a random towel wiping off icing. As the trend was dying down though it started dying down as guys were starting to be told (by brides; brides' moms; wedding planners) -- she can smash cake on you but you can't do it to her because it'll ruin her makeup that she spend thousands on/spend hours on. And then girls -- who tend to be the more social media savvy ones in most couples -- started being like wait no I want my man to look PERFECT the entire night, no cake smash from my side either . . . .

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I will say that if Katie does not realize or care what Travis' likes and dislikes are then she has no business getting married.  That's no way to start a life together and since divorce is not an option it could very well end up being a very long, miserable existence. 

Say what you will about Carlin and Evan, but they really like each other and seem to have a lot of fun together.  The other couples, with the notable exception of Bobby and Tori, also seem well suited.  Katie just seems to want to be married to a guy who is easy on the eyes, and isn't thinking beyond her wedding day.

That is one notable thing about the Bates -- MOST of the couples are very well suited to each other which isn't easy given that you are basically allowed to have 1 boyfriend max (i.e. one failed courtship) before you MUST find a husband -- i.e. say yes to the next person that looks at you. Carlin & Evan - both annoying and LOUD yet they find each other cute and funny so it works. Josie & Kelton; Alyssa & John - both daughters seem to want distance from their own families and their husbands 100% don't want to be with their in laws either. It's like John and Kelton were both looking for girls who'd fit into THEIR families, not becoming Mr. Bates. Plus both couples are on the same page re how they want to live -- man works hard in the skilled trades, they buy nice houses on a mortgage, go spend money out on dates and small vacations etc. Brandon & Michaela -- both sweet, quiet, serious and actually seem to believe what the families just preach -- like a genuine heart for kids even if they can't have their own, they're more involved than they have to be with nieces and nephews etc; and both seem to have other interests that they've supported in their spouses -- nursing, B writing a book; M setting up that knitting/cross stitch business; like the relationship didn't become some bitter fundie misery ride just because they weren't "blessed" with kids and B does not seem to "blame" Michaela or love her any less. Zach & Whit - he still acts like he's lucky to have her, they seem on the same page re wanting a nice home etc.

I feel like the only marriages that aren't particularly suited for each other are Chad & Erin - she rushed in with a handsome prince charming so she'd have her perfect day and the life she dreamed and it turns out she did, it's just that HE I think expected a 100% fundie wife and really I think Erin wears the pants in that marriage just like Kelly and not only is he left providing but also cooking, cleaning, raising kids, and generally dancing to her tune. And Bobby and Tori -- that was 100% him rushing in because if Kelton was getting with a Bates, then he wanted that too bc it would mean him and his best buddy marry at roughly the same time, become brothers in law, have kids that'll grow up together, and he can work with his bestie for life. He didn't seem to consider that none of the Bates girls left at that point -- Carlin (IDK if she was with Evan yet); Tori; Josie -- suited his personality AT ALL.

Katie & Trav -- yeah she seems like she just wants to rush down the aisle ASAP because her sisters did and she isn't thinking about whether she and Trav are suited to each other or not, she simply doesn't care and just wants her day, her babies, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, cereality said:

Katie & Trav -- yeah she seems like she just wants to rush down the aisle ASAP because her sisters did and she isn't thinking about whether she and Trav are suited to each other or not, she simply doesn't care and just wants her day, her babies, etc.

Another factor I suspect with Katie is that she's suddenly lonely at home with all of her sisters she hung out with married and moved out.   Still not a reason to be getting married.

Her behavior is so immature that as a parent I would question if she's mature enough to be allowed to head off to college and live in a dorm.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

That’s just way too much trouble for a piece of ass. 

Seriously. Travis can take one look at Ben Seewald's life to realize banging a hot girl is a temporary thrill. The elements needed for a successful marriage go far beyond hormones.

I guarantee both Ben and Bobby would run for the hills if given the chance for a do-over. 

• Love 11

Travis is part of the Clark Family Music group. It seems like they are pretty successful in the gospel music industry.  They also have some connection to the Vision Baptist College that he attends. Not sure if his family started that school or not. But it would seem that he has a pretty solid reason to staying in New Jersey near his family.  Katie may have to adjust to not being around her family. She has been trying to get this engagement locked up for awhile.   

• Love 4

Hardly a surprise. Do any of them really cook?  I think Erin made an effort during the early days of her marriage, and Alyssa and Josie occasionally post meals they have made in conjunction with meal prep delivery companies.  Josie also occasionally shows recipes she makes in her Instant Pot, so at least she tries.  Kelly sure doesn't cook so I do wonder what they do for meals at the big house.

Alyssa is a big fan of putting finger foods in a muffin tin and calling it lunch for her 3 girls.  It never looks like nearly enough food for 3 growing girls.  Also one time she had a story about ordering pizza and they got ONE PIZZA and some breadsticks for her and John and the girls.  I'm sure John could eat a whole pizza by himself. 

• Love 4

I remember Erin used to post a lot of food pictures prior to her health crisis, and her stuff looked pretty good. Alyssa is all about appearances. I don't think she cares if her kids on their fourth day of canned ravioli, so long as they're eating in matching dresses and smiling for the cameras.

Katie not being able to cook doesn't really surprise me. She's in that middle pack of girls, and I think the majority of the real household responsibility fell on Alyssa and Michaela. 

Esther looked like she had no patience with Katie in that clip and was biting her tongue not to say, "Bitch, please." I'm kind of loving her for that.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

At least Esther can cook. I assume she cooks for her family nightly. But you know Nathan is the "traditional" fundie guy who would not have gotten with her if he found out early on she couldn't cook and wouldn't cook nightly. He does look down on the sisters that don't cook/don't cook well. Good luck Travis. Either it'll be like a Chad or Evan thing where he'll end up cooking, or like a Josie thing where they'll rely on meal services and instapot and 15 minute/one pan meals.

Michael and Alyssa handled all the cooking when all 19 were home. IDK what they have been doing since 2015 when Michael got married. Though we know Kelly isn't getting off her ass so I imagine some combo of Addie/Ellie/Callie cooks nightly.

Alyssa clearly CAN cook but I think she's just over it having cooked nightly since like probably age 10. And now you're right it is all about the girls looking perfect and matching, she doesn't care what they eat. The daily crackers, pretzels and cheese thrown onto the outdoor table and calling that lunch seems like a bit too lazy; like she really can't even make them a PBJ or grilled cheese daily and just rotate those 2 things? Instead she thinks lunchable type foods are better EVERY DAY? And the poster above is right -- it doesn't seem like enough food for 3 growing kids, nor enough variety of nutrition. Alyssa herself films herself a lot going thru the McDonalds drive thru or sending John out for McDonalds at night after the girls are in bed. So at least she's not feeding her kids that crap but I'm surprised she's eating it as much as she is.

• Love 6

OMG could she have acted any more stupid?  "I don't know what beaters are"  I think it is staged to the extreme, whether she can cook much or not.  The older girls left a long time ago.

• Love 4

I mean I do think Katie is dumb (like Alyssa) but she has taken the - guys like girls who play dumb thing - to a whole new extreme. I mean she is rivaling Carlin who at the marriage license office was like -- wait dad your full name ISN'T Gil (it's Gilvin I think); wait IDK where my mom was born; SSN who can remember SOOOO many numbers; quickly followed by OMG Evan you know your mom and dad's names AND where they were born AND your SSN OMG you're SOOOO smart!?

Though I guess Kelly never taught her daughters you can play dumb about things that make the guy feel SMART and like a manly provider, but you are expected to know about the WOMANLY things -- cooking, cleaning, sewing etc.

• Love 6
(edited)

She''s definitely playing dumb in that clip. She is playing the helpless little woman who dosen't know what a roaster or beater is. That's going to wear thin real soon. Josie was far and away more mature at 19 when she married.  Katie will be 21 when she marries and she acts like a silly little girl. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 9

I think Alyssa drinks most of her calories.  She is always posting photos of extra large McDonald's lattes.  Unless she takes it unsweetened that's a lot of calories and sugar.  And my guess is that those late night McDonald's runs are because John is starving.  I would not be a bit surprised if she stretches one of those meal kits (which have notoriously small portions) to feed the whole family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have seen those meal kits. Barely enough for 2 adults. If one of those adults is doing hard physical labor during the day he or she could easily consume the entire meal.  Don't know what the kids eat. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I have seen those meal kits. Barely enough for 2 adults. If one of those adults is doing hard physical labor during the day he or she could easily consume the entire meal.  Don't know what the kids eat. 

I don't know about the ones Alyssa orders, but my daughter was doing a meal kit company delivery before the pandemic and she could order by portion numbers so she was ordering four servings which almost always ended up with either plenty for the four people in her household or with about one serving left for lunch the next day.  

But John is a big guy, not heavy but tall and he is doing physical work all day so he most likely coming home pretty hungry. I saw my neighbor's meal kit I think it was Hello Fresh for 2 people. It was 2 small pieces of chicken and some sides. Not a lot of food. 

• Love 1

The last kit I prepared at my daughter's house had four really good sized chicken breasts, about a pound of green beans, four large rolls, and a lot more macaroni and cheese than we could eat.  I added small salads and a bowl of cut fruit for dessert. It easily fed five of us with one being a five year old girl.  She doesn't get Hello Fresh although I can't remember the company name at the moment.  I know it's a bit pricier than Hello Fresh.  It all depends on what Alyssa is ordering and how many servings and if she's making any additions.