Type keyword(s) to search

Katie and Travis: Young Love?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

The fabric looked similar to the fabric in Meghan Markle's wedding dress.  As I recall there was talk about that dress being poorly altered as well.  Similar necklines too, I believe.  I think that heavy satin just does not have any give and is very difficult to fit properly, especially depending on the style of the dress.  A v-neck probably would have been better from a fit perspective.

Josie posted a bunch of photos in her stories this morning.  Kudos to her for waiting a day.

I always wondered if Meghan dropped weight in between her last fitting and the ceremony. For a custom-made gown, it looked very potato sack-ish. 

I think Renee worked miracles for Katie given the time crunch, but I agree the neckline was bunchy and the skirt a hair too long. The petty part of me wants to see her original dress. It was probably beautiful until the Bates ruined it with their modesty demands.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I always wondered if Meghan dropped weight in between the time of her last fitting and the ceremony. For a custom-made gown, it looked very potato sack-ish. 

I believe it was the style and material and possibly a bit of the design.  Meghan wanted to be very involved and while loving the satin is one thing, it needs to go into the kind of dress where it looks good.  Katie's dress seemed to suffer from the same issues.  

One of my daughters had that heavy satin in her gown.  It was an entirely different style and it looked great - as a full skirt and train over a crinoline.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Thanks for posting, FizzyPuff!

For the most part everyone looks lovely, but why is the bottom of Josie's dress so wrinkled? I hope that was an end of day picture and she didn't walk down the aisle like that. 

I'm still not sure why Kelly chose drab olive for her MOB gown. If she didn't want to do black, a deep forest green or jewel-toned green would've looked pretty, and more appropriate for winter. 

I know there's differing opinions on color or lack thereof, but I liked the black and white theme. It's timeless and will age much better than Josie's boho or Alyssa's tropical mess. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, zoomama said:

somebody give me the short version of what happened to the original dress?

She bought a dress in Florida. It went out for alterations and came back with apparently the wrong dress. Ran to Miz Renee to save the day. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

For the most part everyone looks lovely, but why is the bottom of Josie's dress so wrinkled? I hope that was an end of day picture and she didn't walk down the aisle like that. 

The skirt was made and hemmed to have a crinoline under it to hold it out.   Either Miz Renee doesn't know enough about wedding gowns to sell Katie one or Katie chose to ignore the advice and go without.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Lol, so both Esther and Alyssa posted throwback pics of their weddings in their Instagram stories. Boy, it just eats these girls alive when someone else gets the shine. 

4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

The skirt was made and hemmed to have a crinoline under it to hold it out.   Either Miz Renee doesn't know enough about wedding gowns to sell Katie one or Katie chose to ignore the advice and go without.  

Is that why Katie's skirt was too long? You had quoted my comment about Josie being wrinkled, so I wasn't sure which dress you were referring to.

• Love 3

No it was Josie's dress that was wrinkled not Katie's. I think what happend was when they stitched the slit in the dress to make it more modest it caused the bottom of the dress to pucker and look wrinkled.   I noticed that on another bridesmaid's dress. 

• Useful 2
39 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Is that why Katie's skirt was too long? You had quoted my comment about Josie being wrinkled, so I wasn't sure which dress you were referring to.

Yes, that's why Katie's skirt was too long and was bunched in some of the photos.  They've had too many Bates weddings and I was crossing the sisters.  

• Useful 2

Ah, so that's Jeremiah Duggar and Hannah Wissmann with John and Alyssa. I don't really follow that endless line of Duggar boys, so I didn't even know he was courting.

I think Michael's lost some weight? Regardless of her weight, she looks terrific and happy.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

Brandon and Micheal posted this photo on Instagram 😂

C6457F92-65C9-4A65-9DED-05BDE3B730D2.jpeg.264264bbcae981a2016868b89ba14a3d.jpeg

20 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

Brandon and Micheal posted this photo on Instagram 😂

C6457F92-65C9-4A65-9DED-05BDE3B730D2.jpeg.264264bbcae981a2016868b89ba14a3d.jpeg

Anyone know who Hannah Wissman is holding?

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, floridamom said:

That is a nice dress that Michaela is wearing. I hope she didn't ruin it by wearing those awful white sneakers with it. Anyone know?

I'd bet money she did wear them ha ha  The pics of Travis/Katie with others are full length and then with Michaela/Brandon, they are cropped above the feet.  Coincidence?  hmmm

Katie eventually changed into sneakers, so that would definitely make a difference with the length.  

• Love 3

Katie did look beautiful but maybe it's just me - she looked NOTHING like her actual self. Like she was SO made up to look graceful/beautiful (which she is anyway) that she looked like a different woman to me. Travis looked like he just showed up to pick up his date to senior prom.

Good luck to these two. I've said it all along Bobby and Tori 2.0. He just doesn't seem in love to me -- just wanting to get some and get on with the life requirements of wife + house + kids. And not only does he not seem to love her, he seems affirmatively annoyed by her and her personality. He and his whole family seem more reserved and serious, she is a moron who thinks it's hysterical to giggle about ice cream and pizza and throw cake on his suit and go on and on about how she has NO idea how mashed potatoes are made. Though unlike Bobby, in this case I don't think Travis is the one who will "make it work," I think KATIE is the one who will have to live unhappy and make it work. He's not leaving his family or NJ no matter how much she whines or even after baby #1 overwhelms here by fall 2022 - so HE's the one who'll have his family and friends. She's the one who will have to go along with people who just aren't screaming and giggling and maybe even talking about semi intelligent things (for fundies anyway).

And sorry but these fundie families will never not confuse me, nor cease to be gross. There's a video out (IDK who posted it but all the duggar/bates fan accounts on IG have it) when they're leaving and someone screaming "kiss her, kiss her." He does and someone (maybe Law?) screams out "that was a GOOD one." Uh he looks like an 8th grader kissing his first girlfriend, he has to hold her head so she doesn't flinch/he doesn't miss" but thanks for assessing the kiss for us.

Then as they are going down the line saying bye, they totally walk by Travis's parents to get to G&K. He doesn't hug mom or even shake dad's hand though, nor does Katie - maybe bc they'll see them in NJ in a week, IDK but acknowledge them!? But then straight into G&K's arms for hugs for both with loud "love yous" and as they move past Gil towards the car, Gil says to Katie clear as day "don't worry." Ah yes dad don't worry I'm very excited to be penetrated for 2 seconds in the next 20 min, I'm not worried at all but thanks for thinking of me . . . .

• Love 11

Cereality, agree 100%. When Travis first appeared on the show, I figured he's shy, reserved and just doesn't like the cameras. While that's likely true, you'd think at some point he'd telegraph some sort of vibe that he's really, REALLY into Katie. I just don't see it, even in their social media pics. It's like he figured, "Hey, this hot girl's into me, heck, why not?." 

I think Zach, Chad and John were genuinely smitten with their wives. I'd say even Bobby fell into that category initially, which is why he ignored so many red flags in Tori. However I agree Travis is going to be a different animal. I grew up in a wealthy town and was surrounded by guys like him all my life. No matter how "aw, shucks" he comes off on camera, I guarantee there's a lot of entitlement below the surface. One thing that stuck out to me was when they were doing the house tour on Instagram and he told Katie to shut one of the doors to a room. It came out like he was barking an order at her, not like he was politely requesting her to do something. Granted, she was being annoying a/f, but still. I don't think Travis is going to be a p-whipped husband a la Chad once the thrill of getting laid wears off. Also, his family strikes me as very aloof. I don't know who Katie is going to bond with up there. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Cereality, agree 100%. When Travis first appeared on the show, I figured he's shy, reserved and just doesn't like the cameras. While that's likely true, you'd think at some point he'd telegraph some sort of vibe that he's really, REALLY into Katie. I just don't see it, even in their social media pics. It's like he figured, "Hey, this hot girl's into me, heck, why not?." 

I think Zach, Chad and John were genuinely smitten with their wives. I'd say even Bobby fell into that category initially, which is why he ignored so many red flags in Tori. However I agree Travis is going to be a different animal. I grew up in a wealthy town and was surrounded by guys like him all my life. No matter how "aw, shucks" he comes off on camera, I guarantee there's a lot of entitlement below the surface. One thing that stuck out to me was when they were doing the house tour on Instagram and he told Katie to shut one of the doors to a room. It came out like he was barking an order at her, not like he was politely requesting her to do something. Granted, she was being annoying a/f, but still. I don't think Travis is going to be a p-whipped husband a la Chad once the thrill of getting laid wears off. Also, his family strikes me as very aloof. I don't know who Katie is going to bond with up there. 

Interesting you mention entitlement - I grew up in the town right next door to Travis (and still go there now bc my family is there); if he had gone to public school we would have been grads of the same high school. YES the area is VERY entitled in that well to do white way; the area is cheaper to live in (way way cheaper) than the NYC suburbs of NJ, so money goes much further than it does in the rest of the state and yeah people are pretty entitled about it - esp the well to do white crowd with the McMansions (which is what he grew up in).

Maybe Bobby was smitten with Tori for a bit - I only recall that it had 100% worn off by the engagement as he was ready to just throw the ring at her. But yeah Z and Chad are head over heels for their wives still and thus will do anything - playing nanny to the kids while the wife pretends to be 22 and childless or working at a dress shop; building whatever dumbass things Erin wants or taking care of a farm/zoo bc she wants her kids to have that etc. IDK about John he seems OVER it but maybe he's more over family life/young kids and just doesn't want more - he seems thrilled when it's just him and Alyssa.

Travis OTOH barely seems interested NOW - when you're supposed to be super eager and in love?? He has seemed annoyed with her from the start - from her making fun of him in front of the whole family for not liking ice cream; to her smashing cake on his suit at his family's house; to the house tour video where he was surly with her a few times - I think one time he even told her to be quiet/wait a minute as she was talking/complaining and he was trying to show the basement stairs!?

He definitely strikes me as a young guy who has built up in his mind that marriage will be 100% HIS WAY (his family's way) and Katie will just follow - without accounting for the fact that as Katie follows bc she has no choice, she will REALLY annoy him with her whining and helplessness.

IDK his family composition - I think it's 1 brother 1 sister both married/about to be married? So that's 2 SILs for Katie. Here's the thing about NJ people - we aren't a super warm bunch to begin with, nor very patient, though we will form tight friendships with people we like and respect. If she goes in there being a Bates girl - i.e. whining about every little thing from OMG it's so cold in NJ, it's still 65 in Tenn; soooo much traffic here;  sooo expensive here; what do you mean Travis expects me to cook, IDK how to work an oven -- I don't see the respect thing happening. And IDK how "worldly" they are. I know they're fundie but part of me thinks a NJ fundie is still different than a Tenn or Ark fundie -- like I have to imagine they watch some TV/news etc. even if it's local Philadelphia news and Fox. So again she goes in there being like Congress hmm IDK how that works, I think my mom said something about it when I was 12 . . . well that's another hurdle in getting respect. And without respect it'll be VERY hard to have genuine friendships with the SILs or get anything beyond the surface level "we love Trav so of course we love his wife."

Dumb question - does Travis WORK? I assume he has a made up gig at dad (grandad?'s) church? Because we haven't of him being in trade school or anything like the other sons in law. What do you do for health insurance when you marry at 20?? I know you can be on your parents' plan until 26 but IDK if your wife or eventual kids can? Medicaid? God will protect?

Edited by cereality
  • Love 8

cereality, I'm a New Englander, so I get what you mean by people in the Northeast having a more insular way about them. My sister's neighbor is from TN and she used to just walk into everyone's houses without knocking until someone explained to her, "Yeah, we don't do that here." And most definitely, Fundie NJ is different than Fundie Knoxville. Case in point: Ashley Salyer. She was from Queens and was light years ahead of Nathan in terms of maturity. 

I don't know if Travis works or not. He's officially in school, but he must be on the Ben Seewald track because it feels like he's been there forever. He attends his family's "college" which isn't even accredited, so make of that what you will. They may have him on the payroll at the church so he can draw a salary and benefits.

With regards to the other husbands, yes, I was referring to smitten in the courtship phase. I always respect differences of opinion, but I laugh when I see comments on the sub-Reddit saying John loves being a #girldad, because I don't get that impression at all. I don't think he's cold or neglectful, but he seems to pleasantly tolerate his kids at best. I forgot to include Kelton in the smitten category, but he comes off as obsessive and stalker-ish.

I hope Katie is happy, but there'll be a big adjustment phase, that's for sure. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I think Katie is in for a real adjustment. She will miss her family terribly especially the sisters that she was so close to. The absolute worse thing for her is to get pregnant immediately and have a baby this time next year. She and Travis need to get to know each other and enjoy some time without parents looking over their shoulders.  Travis' sister has been married for what a couple of years and so far no kid. Once the fairy tale wears off and it is down to everyday drudge of cooking and cleaning and no one to hang out with she is in for a real letdown. How soon do you think she will be back home for a visit Christmas maybe?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I think Katie is in for a real adjustment. She will miss her family terribly especially the sisters that she was so close to. The absolute worse thing for her is to get pregnant immediately and have a baby this time next year. She and Travis need to get to know each other and enjoy some time without parents looking over their shoulders.  Travis' sister has been married for what a couple of years and so far no kid. Once the fairy tale wears off and it is down to everyday drudge of cooking and cleaning and no one to hang out with she is in for a real letdown. How soon do you think she will be back home for a visit Christmas maybe?

It’s a tough adjustment for anyone, but for her it will be especially difficult.  I don’t think Travis will be up for traveling to visit her sisters at the drop of a hat.  

I wonder where they went for their honeymoon?  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Cabo San Lucas Mexico for the honeymoon. I suspect Katie will be flying home often. She needn't depend on Travis for a ride home.

I'm surprised they went to Mexico. There's been a string of tourists killed by cartel violence recently. Hopefully they don't wander too far from the resort.

27 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm surprised they went to Mexico. There's been a string of tourists killed by cartel violence recently. Hopefully they don't wander too far from the resort.

They're not adventurous enough to leave the resort to try real food or mingle with real Mexicans.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

They'll see her family sometime in the Christmas-NYE timeframe too - even if not actually on Christmas and yes certainly I Love You Day. I fully expect a pregnancy announcement by I Love You Day - with a baby due just before their first anniversary. Frankly a pregnancy will give her something to obsess about + a baby will give her something to do -- she has zero life interests besides her sisters and it's not like she's going to be working or even making friends with the SILs in NJ.

It'll be interesting to see how marriage is overall for them. I feel like super young guys who marry + live near mommy/daddy are VERY invested in running a home/marriage just like Daddy. From the looks of it Travis's family seems like they like nice things - McMansion; often going to NYC to see shows/nice dinners; vacations. These things cost $ and while they have $, like anyone else I doubt they have endless money to do absolutely anything they want. I do wonder if they are more "buckled down" than the Bates girls of late -- i.e. just bc you're leaving the house doesn't mean you get a Sbux every time; just bc you don't want to cook doesn't mean we get takeout 5 nights a week etc. Katie always has a fresh manicure + Sbux in hand + is the one that wastes money sending pizzas and cookies via Doordash to Alyssa (which suggests she gets them for herself too). While I'm sure she'll try to supplement with social media income, reality is Alyssa and Carlin live in lower cost of living areas + are supplementing the salaries of an HVAC guy and an electrician apprentice for their fun stuff, not the salary of a 20 yr old who may or may not work some at daddy's church.

And given that Trav seems rigid + will be paying for trips back to Tenn regularly (even if just Spirit, it isn't free), I wonder if he will be the type who is like - wait no you need to grocery shop + cook, we aren't eating out nightly; or I'm not sacrificing a trip to NYC that'll cost a few hundred just so we can grab $10 worth of coffee 50 times. You also wonder if daddy will be in his ear about things as he's not even a grown man yet, regardless of the fact that he's having sex; daddy may be on him about paying down the mortgage faster than required (if he has one - if daddy bought him the house in cash, then it may be paying back daddy faster than required), saving etc. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

What 20 year old boy knows about love anyhow?  Add in the sheltered lives they live and they have no clue what love and relationships are about.  Even at Lawson and Nathan's ages, they know so little.  To me Lawson really does act like an 8th grader, as mentioned above.  

• Love 10

Katie posted a picture of Travis and her riding on a huge dirt bike. And of course she is in a short skirt and riding side ways. It looks dangerous to sit that way if someone is riding fast or hits a rough patch much more likely that this person will fall or slide off.  I will never understand the virture of dressing in a skirt when partaking in these types of activities. So If she can't wear pants or shorts on her honeymoon then I don't think she will be wearing pants anytime soon. It is sad that in the 21st century a young woman  most likely feels like she must have permission from her husband to dress like other young women her age. And I don't believe for one minute that if Travis gave her the OK to wear pants that she would refuse. 

• Love 4

Katey posted on Instagram today shilling a vitamin powder that you mix with water. She  is looking more and more like Josie. Wonder what will happen if more than one of the sisters start hawking the same product. Maybe they are already doing this. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Katey posted on Instagram today shilling a vitamin powder that you mix with water. She  is looking more and more like Josie. Wonder what will happen if more than one of the sisters start hawking the same product. Maybe they are already doing this. 

They have, yes. Katie and Whitney were hawking the same makeup brush, and Carlin and Alyssa have both promoted Tula. There's probably been more overlap, but those are the examples that come to mind.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Alyssa's YouTube video about Katie's wedding.

Um, what in the world was the guy in the hairy suit all about? It was a classy wedding right up until that part! These Bates and their wedding shenanigans...

That was so stupid.  This family doesn't know anything about class.  Smoke and mirrors, all an illusion.
Alyssa looks old and her bad makeup makes it so much more apparent.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, So unbelievable said:

That was so stupid.  This family doesn't know anything about class.  Smoke and mirrors, all an illusion.
Alyssa looks old and her bad makeup makes it so much more apparent.

That screams Nathan Bates but I'm not sure if Esther would put up with him acting the fool!

• Love 3
On 12/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, Absolom said:

I believe it was the style and material and possibly a bit of the design.  Meghan wanted to be very involved and while loving the satin is one thing, it needs to go into the kind of dress where it looks good.  Katie's dress seemed to suffer from the same issues.  

One of my daughters had that heavy satin in her gown.  It was an entirely different style and it looked great - as a full skirt and train over a crinoline.

When I got married my great grandmother made my wedding dress out of heavy satin and you should see how form fitting and flowy it was. I wish I had a picture but when I got my divorce decree in the mail I had a burn your wedding album party.

• LOL 6