Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Mermaid Taffeta Wedding Dress, $1,999

• Start Topic

The Hayworth family is invited to the wedding of longtime family friend Spags. When Connor enlists Tom’s help to write and re-write a wedding toast, things take an unexpected turn between the brothers. Sarah realizes Denise is upset they never had a real wedding, while Marina meticulously plans her drinking schedule for a night out without the kids.

Original airdate: 4/14/21

Well, this doesn't bode so well for this show...no posts at all. But I hope people are watching. My guy and I are both finding it charming and funny, even when the family--as they did last nite--was behaving completely insufferably. But they KNEW they were...there was self awareness there, at least.

I continue to love the cast. We call our big dumb beautiful floofy cat Jimmy Tatro (his real name is Atticus) sometimes, cuz that is who he would be if he were a person.

It's driving me crazy, and I've googled but can't find: who is the Jack Black doppelganger from last nite's ep? I've definitely seen him in other things but can't remember where.

• Love 7

I really liked this episode.  It was better than last week's so that is a good sign for the show.

But I just don't have much of anything to say about it other than that the parents are a hoot!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

It's driving me crazy, and I've googled but can't find: who is the Jack Black doppelganger from last nite's ep? I've definitely seen him in other things but can't remember where.

I thought it was Josh Gad.

10 minutes ago, Trey said:

I really liked this episode.  It was better than last week's so that is a good sign for the show.

I actually like the pilot better. Now, I don't know if I'm going to stick with it.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

It's Dustin Ybarra.  He was in "Kevin (Probably) Saves The World". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Okay, I felt that there was a real sense of entitlement in the pilot (getting a loan so nobody has to go get a job while the husband writes), but this was way over the top for me in that the siblings hijacked someone else's wedding (who they claimed was a childhood friend).  It was bad enough (IMO) when the brothers started fighting during the toast, but when the sister took over the mic, dance floor and CAKE! it was just too much.  And then at the end they all thought it was so very cute when they watched the video.  Too entitled, too selfish, too self-centered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I kept thinking the younger (rich) brother seemed older than the older (author) brother. Checked IMDb. Nope, author brother actor is 14 years older than rich brother actor. Boy is my age-dar off!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I kept thinking the younger (rich) brother seemed older than the older (author) brother. Checked IMDb. Nope, author brother actor is 14 years older than rich brother actor. Boy is my age-dar off!

I was wondering the same thing! I know this is shallow, but I can’t stand rich guy’s voice. 🤯

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I felt that there was a real sense of entitlement in the pilot (getting a loan so nobody has to go get a job while the husband writes), but this was way over the top for me in that the siblings hijacked someone else's wedding (who they claimed was a childhood friend).  It was bad enough (IMO) when the brothers started fighting during the toast, but when the sister took over the mic, dance floor and CAKE! it was just too much.  And then at the end they all thought it was so very cute when they watched the video.  Too entitled, too selfish, too self-centered.

I agree. The fighting during th toast was bad enough, but the sister and her wife were overkill.  I didn't like this episode as much as the pilot, I'm still willing to give it a few more episodes.  It seems that every time I quit a sitcom thinking it wouldn't last, it ends up going on for several seasons, so I'm going to try sticking with this one longer for a change.

• Love 9

The younger brother really grew on me in the second episode. I hope the sister will grow on me, too. She just is very bitter and desperate to me. It’s totally believable seeing as she’s the only sibling who was never successful on top of being LGBT, but still... Hard to watch. I like every character (including the two wives) so far more than her.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:23 PM, srpturtle80 said:

I’m enjoying it! I came for Topher and will stay for Topher. 

So I'm not alone! I really liked him on T7S, which is why my interest was peaked that he was going to be in a new comedy. His character is my favorite so far, too.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It’s totally believable seeing as she’s the only sibling who was never successful on top of being LGBT, but still...

I got the impression she has the ability to be successful, just not in the strict financial sense. In the pilot she was laid off because her program funding got cut. She did something with inner city kids that involved counseling I think or tutoring... something super meaningful but not super profitable. (Wikipedia says child therapist while the wife is a teacher, so both jobs not super profitable although in a normal place (not San Francisco area) may or may not have them be "poor." - I have a friend who is a teacher in Berkeley. Her salary pays rent on a house she rents from a cousin for herself and her 3 kids. It has 2 bedrooms. Her salary ONLY covers the rent and utilities.) 

• Love 2

I liked the pilot better.  I think this show has a lot of potential but it's trying way too hard.  Karla and Topher have absolutely no chemistry so I can't see them as a married couple.  I think she was miscast - she is way better in dramatic roles.  

• Love 5

I keep wondering if they're all going to move into "Matt Damon's old house" together. It would make sense given the size of the house and then cousins would all be together. Ditto the sibs.

• Love 8

I liked it enough to keep going but I had the same problems with this one that others have noted.  I always hate it on any show (and sitcoms are especially bad for this) where the main family behave like they are in this entitled bubble and can act anyway they want even when they are at someone else's wedding!  I couldn't help thinking how much money time and effort we put in to my daughter's wedding and how I would have been furious if guests had acted the way these people did!  Overthinking a sitcom oh well!  But that said overall I did like it and love the parents!  I also really like the way the writer brother is writing a book about the family and that explains the voice over - which otherwise might get old pretty fast.  

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I keep wondering if they're all going to move into "Matt Damon's old house" together. It would make sense given the size of the house and then cousins would all be together. Ditto the sibs.

I was actually surprised that didn't happen in the first episode. But I think that keeping them separate also gives more opportunities for independent storylines. 

I agree about the horrible behavior wrecking someone else's event. The smugness of it after was really irritating, too. Let wealthy brother stage a vow renewal for them or something. I don't know. But don't be totally obnoxious and think it's adorable.

• Love 6

OK, so I'm going to keep watching this show - mostly because I am mostly into easygoing shows these days and this isn't bad or overly silly. I'm in. 

I kept things that the guy who plays the rich brother reminds of someone. Then in the forum for the last episode, I saw comparisons to Modern Family (I'm getting that vibe) and the character Luke from that show. Now, in this episode, I can't stop thinking the rich brother looks and carries himself like he could be Luke's older brother. Or Luke in the future. I could totally see Luke being a goofy, aloof adult who's also a rich, savvy investor. 

Now, back to the episode. 

I didn't like the sister using someone else's wedding to try to make up for not having one. Especially after people from their group already made a scene. Well, two scenes - the fight and the vomiting. 

I do like that the cousins like hanging out. I know others aren't crazy about kids on a show. And this show has a lot of them. But I love their interactions. 

• Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 6:53 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

OK, so I'm going to keep watching this show - mostly because I am mostly into easygoing shows these days and this isn't bad or overly silly. I'm in. 

I kept things that the guy who plays the rich brother reminds of someone. Then in the forum for the last episode, I saw comparisons to Modern Family (I'm getting that vibe) and the character Luke from that show. Now, in this episode, I can't stop thinking the rich brother looks and carries himself like he could be Luke's older brother. Or Luke in the future. I could totally see Luke being a goofy, aloof adult who's also a rich, savvy investor. 

Now, back to the episode. 

I didn't like the sister using someone else's wedding to try to make up for not having one. Especially after people from their group already made a scene. Well, two scenes - the fight and the vomiting. 

I do like that the cousins like hanging out. I know others aren't crazy about kids on a show. And this show has a lot of them. But I love their interactions. 

He’s from Modern Family ;) You probably recognize him from that show.

I kind of stumbled into watching the second episode. How was I not watching this? That scene with the women watching weddings, and girls/women kept getting added to the scene.

• Love 2