Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Not Ready for Another Baby

• Start Topic

Such a boring episode. 

Alex’s poor, poor grandma. It’s so sad that Julie’s pregnancy automatically meant more bills and childcare for her because Julie’s been such a consistent deadbeat. It’s very difficult for me to imagine her being sexually active. 

Aden is on his phone, bored to shit waiting for the arrival of his son. He can barely be bothered to look up. I’m sure he’ll be a lively, attentive father. 

I totally, completely understand Myrka’s desire to breastfeed. My first breastfed easily for 16 months. My second required exclusive pumping, supplementing with formula and daily medication for me to lactate sufficiently. It’s overwhelming and stressful to say the least. I thought Ethan’s mom was very kind and supportive in explaining the feeding process. It might be upsetting that she can’t breastfeed NOW but it doesn’t mean it’ll never happen. In the meantime, the baby has to eat. Attalie looks jaundiced so I have no doubt the formula helped. I wish so many moms weren’t so adamantly against formula; breastmilk is better but formula is just fine. 

• Love 19

I read that the father of Julie's baby, is Alex's father, whoever that is.

Does Alex's grandma have a fast food job ?!?! It looked like she was in a Burger King uniform. 

At least Tyra has come to her senses and transferred to a nearby college.

With Covid, I wonder how a teen can have another teen as their one support person. What if during delivery,  a medical decision needs to be made  ? I would not want a life or death decision to be made by...Aden. Same goes for all these teen couples.

Dumb as a post Lily should rush that guy to the altar, stat ! Her goal in life is to be married, and this guy could change his mind at any time ! Hurry !

Myrka with those clawlike fingernails,  yikes !

• Love 5

I could sympathize with Myrka also.  I have carried around these enormous boobs all of my adult life and when it came time for them to be used for their intended purpose they didn't work!  I remember crying the first time my daughter was given formula because I felt like a failure. 

• Love 5

I’m so sorry you or any other woman felt like a failure over breastfeeding.

I breastfed for 2 weeks. I hated it. My son hated it. My second child had formula from the start. Women who breastfeed have my full support as do women who formula feed. Fed is best.
I too thought Ethan’s mother was very good. Calm and gentle but firm enough that the baby got fed.

• Love 16

D-I-L is new nursing mom. Latching didn't work so she's pumping. 3 weeks in, so far, so good. Myrka is a dumb kid, much more likely to throw in the towel, fed is best is right. I just can't with these people. Julie, pregnant? Didn't see that one coming.....

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

I read that the father of Julie's baby, is Alex's father, whoever that is.

Does Alex's grandma have a fast food job ?!?! It looked like she was in a Burger King uniform. 

At least Tyra has come to her senses and transferred to a nearby college.

With Covid, I wonder how a teen can have another teen as their one support person. What if during delivery,  a medical decision needs to be made  ? I would not want a life or death decision to be made by...Aden. Same goes for all these teen couples.

Dumb as a post Lily should rush that guy to the altar, stat ! Her goal in life is to be married, and this guy could change his mind at any time ! Hurry !

Myrka with those clawlike fingernails,  yikes !

I especially like how she listed all the things you need to get married: flowers, a church, food, music. Wrong! You need a judge and a court house, Lily! Maybe consider the fact you have 2 children and are 20 years old. Give up the big fancy wedding b.s. Special shout out to the photographer for saying “you don’t see this a lot during a maternity photo shot.” Lily did not even realize he was throwing her all the shade! 

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, WahooLAH99 said:

I especially like how she listed all the things you need to get married: flowers, a church, food, music. Wrong! You need a judge and a court house, Lily! Maybe consider the fact you have 2 children and are 20 years old. Give up the big fancy wedding b.s. Special shout out to the photographer for saying “you don’t see this a lot during a maternity photo shot.” Lily did not even realize he was throwing her all the shade! 

I wish Lilly was as concerned about getting her GED as she is planning a wedding.  

• Love 11

How much of my life did I spend listening to that muscle-bound dimwit Lawrence talk about how flummoxed he was about how he was going to ask for Lilly's hand in marriage or how he was going to propose or how he was going to keep it secret that he was going to propose, or after the fact what he was thinking as he considered how he was going to ask for Lilly's hand in marriage or how he was going to propose or how he managed to keep it a secret?  Actually, don't answer--I don't want to know.

And I shudder at the thought of just how horrible Lilly's previous boyfriend must have been if her mother is so over the moon about Lawrence.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I only catch snippets of this show mainly after dozing off from the earlier lineup. And I seem to catch the births. I need  little background

1) the teen mom who was at a cheerleading competition-retreat whose college is out of town.. what was the sequence of events? She got pregnant and had a baby in HS, had to give up cheer SR year, applied to college and chose that particular  college far away b/c that is the only place she could make the cheer squad ? 

2) The teen mom who had the bulb for cervix dilation - which was educational for me, since I hadn't heard of such device (not in the club anymore for researching labor techniques). Did her and the father of the baby ever get along ? I just don't see two hot horny teens who had wild sex and created a child. Both act like they don't give a damn about each other - esp. the guy. 

3) I do like the couple where the teen mom had trouble breast feeding. I like that the MIL seems to care and be of help. Teen father seems to care. What happened to her mother - she still in shock of being an early grandmother and doesn't want to be involved ?

4) which brings me to the grandmother who is working herself  ( I do agree on the burger king outfit) into a early grave raising kids.  She needs to set limits and boundaries on her assistance. She raised the teen dad, now she is raising the great-granddaughter and  she might be possibly raising another grand a generation later. What the deal with the mom - that she can't raise her own children?  And where is the dad-to-be -surely he's not a teen? Does he not have any financial resources ?  I mean by 30+ you learn not to layup with a broke deadbeat guy...  

5) Last week I thought I heard the grandmom say " before the pregnancy they were afraid to walk into the bedroom - when the teen and the guy were in there"... Now, post pregnancy they are not afraid b/c I guess they are in opposite corners of the room, as the guy appears to be losing interest. Who allows teens to be alone behind closed doors - when you are 20ft away ???  Listening for tips and new techniques ? I mean sounds like they didn't have to sneak around - grandma/mom lets them have the room to themselves... Its one thing to get pregnant but its another when you make date-sex night convenient..  I mean if you are that grown - then you need to get your own place..

6) during the 1st episode (which I seem to always miss) do the couples tell just what happened to the lack of birth control in 2020? Do they at least say it failed, it broke, didn't know pregnancy would happen the 1st time, forgot to pull out, ovulation predictor/period app  was incorrect , wanted a baby? Surely these couple didn't think a baby would keep them together..🍿

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

How much of my life did I spend listening to that muscle-bound dimwit Lawrence talk about how flummoxed he was about how he was going to ask for Lilly's hand in marriage or how he was going to propose or how he was going to keep it secret that he was going to propose, or after the fact what he was thinking as he considered how he was going to ask for Lilly's hand in marriage or how he was going to propose or how he managed to keep it a secret?  Actually, don't answer--I don't want to know.

Apparently, Lawrence believes the proposal was the crowning achievement of his 19 years on earth. He just wouldn’t shut up about it, sort of like the way some new mothers have to relive the birth of their baby, because no one in the universe ever popped a kid out before. 

On a scale on 1 to 10, how loaded was Tyra’s mother? The camera kept resting on her face, so obviously the cameraman wanted the audience to notice. Have we ever decided what her drug of choice is?

Grandma Alex is on her feet all day at Burger King trying to stretch her meager Social Security check so she can provide for five mouths and now Blinky is going to grace the family with yet another kid? Whose father is some sketchy PrisonerMatch.com internet boyfriend that Tyra didn’t want near her own daughter? What happens when he wants to hang around to “help raise” his baby daughter? 

Jenna, if you think giving birth sucks, wait until you bring the baby home. That’s when shit gets REAL. I’m sure Aden will be constantly criticizing you a big help except when he’s at work or staying out late because he can’t stand being around the chaos.

Myrka and Ethan, take notes. In 20 years, you will be exactly where Ethan’s parents are. Looks like fun, right? 

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Apparently, Lawrence believes the proposal was the crowning achievement of his 19 years on earth. He just wouldn’t shut up about it, sort of like the way some new mothers have to relive the birth of their baby, because no one in the universe ever popped a kid out before. 

On a scale on 1 to 10, how loaded was Tyra’s mother? The camera kept resting on her face, so obviously the cameraman wanted the audience to notice. Have we ever decided what her drug of choice is?

Grandma Alex is on her feet all day at Burger King trying to stretch her meager Social Security check so she can provide for five mouths and now Blinky is going to grace the family with yet another kid? Whose father is some sketchy PrisonerMatch.com internet boyfriend that Tyra didn’t want near her own daughter? What happens when he wants to hang around to “help raise” his baby daughter? 

Jenna, if you think giving birth sucks, wait until you bring the baby home. That’s when shit gets REAL. I’m sure Aden will be constantly criticizing you a big help except when he’s at work or staying out late because he can’t stand being around the chaos.

Myrka and Ethan, take notes. In 20 years, you will be exactly where Ethan’s parents are. Looks like fun, right? 

I read somewhere on the interwebs that Julie's baby daddy isn't the internet bf, but Alex's father.  

On 4/13/2021 at 12:31 AM, alotmorestupider said:

I totally, completely understand Myrka’s desire to breastfeed. My first breastfed easily for 16 months. My second required exclusive pumping, supplementing with formula and daily medication for me to lactate sufficiently. It’s overwhelming and stressful to say the least. I thought Ethan’s mom was very kind and supportive in explaining the feeding process. It might be upsetting that she can’t breastfeed NOW but it doesn’t mean it’ll never happen. In the meantime, the baby has to eat. Attalie looks jaundiced so I have no doubt the formula helped. I wish so many moms weren’t so adamantly against formula; breastmilk is better but formula is just fine

I agree with everything you've said.  I was getting frustrated and worked up right along with Myrka as I watched the episode.  But then they showed another scene - and it came out that all of her tears and frustrations were after only ONE DAY of trying to breastfeed.  And, my sympathy for her ended.  She's never going to make it, whether it's feeding her baby or potty training, or etc, etc, etc if she so quickly and easily wants to give up.  I perhaps understand her relationship with her mother a little better if crying and being ready to quit is her go-to instead of finding an alternative or compromise and working things out.  Just another example of why children shouldn't be having children.  

• Love 2
On 4/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Heroin with a side of vodka.  

On 4/19/2021 at 3:20 AM, RoxiP said:

Starcasm was probably the source wheee Julie confirms that Alex and his baby sister have the same father. 

Two kids with the same guy? That has to be a first with this crew! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

And how Haley was soooo not into Tyra and her sister!

It could be that.  But I wonder if it is because she knows she's going to look like an idiot coming on national tv and admitting to hooking up with her ex whose now sleeping with another of her friends.  Of course, you could stop hooking up with him or refuse to go on tv, but who knows what goes through these girls' heads.

• Love 4

Last June, Covid!! Geesh, my family was hunkered down only going to work. We visited by Zoom and phone only. None of us ever got Covid. Seeing these ppl just ignore the pandemic LAST JUNE is so annoying. Selfish and stupid, or probably just ignorant. 

• Love 1

I am so sick of entitled Myrka! Although Ethan’s parents were probably having some (maybe not insurmountable) problems prior to Attalie’s arrival, they are part of the collateral damage as are Ethan’s siblings. I thought it interesting that now Mother Ethan understands Liliana’s perspective. Myrka will be irate when Mother Ethan pulls out the rug from under them. Maybe having unprotected sex wasn’t really worth it after all.

Lily and Lawrence have fewer brain cells than a box of dirt. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Yes, Ethan’s mom isn’t nearly as smug about the kids and their new baby now that she’s in the thick of it. I don’t necessarily agree with Liliana or her opinions, but I get where she was coming from to an extent. My parents separated when I was young and my mom would have been pissed if any of us brought another mouth to the table. My mom also married and had us young, so she was adamant about not raising any more kids. She loves her grandkids, but they are not her responsibility.  

I’d maybe feel a little more sympathy for Charlie having to pick up a second job if they hadn’t just spent thousands on a stupid gender reveal party (damn I hate those things). Either you needed extra money or you didn’t. And I say it every season, but there’s no way in hell my teenager would be playing house and sharing a bed in my house. The cow is out of the barn but nope. Not happening.

I FF through Lily and I can’t stand Lawrence.

Jenna’s baby is cute.  Reality hasn’t really set in for her yet though. This is one time she might want to listen to mom. She does need her own identity and resources.  I have nieces her age and older, and I don’t know what went wrong in the 2000s, but a lot of these young guys are so controlling, even in high school. And the girls have bad self-esteem so it’s just a real clusterfuck! The fact that the little shit sits there and insults her mom did it for me.  I don’t care what problems her mom has, or what problems she has with her mom. That’s still and will always be her mom and your son’s grandmother. You are just the baby daddy. No good can come from a relationship where your partner disrespects your parent. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yes, Ethan’s mom isn’t nearly as smug about the kids and their new baby now that she’s in the thick of it. I don’t necessarily agree with Liliana or her opinions, but I get where she was coming from to an extent. My parents separated when I was young and my mom would have been pissed if any of us brought another mouth to the table. My mom also married and had us young, so she was adamant about not raising any more kids. She loves her grandkids, but they are not her responsibility.  

I’d maybe feel a little more sympathy for Charlie having to pick up a second job if they hadn’t just spent thousands on a stupid gender reveal party (damn I hate those things). Either you needed extra money or you didn’t. And I say it every season, but there’s no way in hell my teenager would be playing house and sharing a bed in my house. The cow is out of the barn but nope. Not happening.

I FF through Lily and I can’t stand Lawrence.

Jenna’s baby is cute.  Reality hasn’t really set in for her yet though. This is one time she might want to listen to mom. She does need her own identity and resources.  I have nieces her age and older, and I don’t know what went wrong in the 2000s, but a lot of these young guys are so controlling, even in high school. And the girls have bad self-esteem so it’s just a real clusterfuck! The fact that the little shit sits there and insults her mom did it for me.  I don’t care what problems her mom has, or what problems she has with her mom. That’s still and will always be her mom and your son’s grandmother. You are just the baby daddy. No good can come from a relationship where your partner disrespects your parent. 

I still want to know what Lilliana's job is.  She works so much she can't even stop by and see her grandchild?  I'm not saying she has to help take care of the kid, but she made it sound like she had no time to even visit Myrka and the baby.  

What is with this regressive thinking in these boys?  Aiden thinks it's better for Jenna to stay home and take care of the baby.  What about Jenna?  Doesn't she get to have something outside of just being a stay-at-home mom?  She may go along now, but they are in for a world of resentment down the road.  He probably makes decent money in construction, but he better hope he stays healthy and the economy where they live continues to support construction.  They might be in for a lot of lean winters, too.  

Same thing with Ethan.  Myrka obviously is suffering from some level of PPD and him telling her she has it easier staying at home is whacked! 

I stayed home with my daughter until she went to school and my hubby had a nine month parental leave when she was first born.  Even though he was home, I still did most of the getting up with her.  After he went back to work, whenever he would start about who had it worse, I would shut it down.  I'd tell him, "We both had hard days."  They were just different kinds of challenges.  No one had it easier or harder.  

I feel bad for these girls if this is what they have to look forward to with their partners!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

This is one time she might want to listen to mom. She does need her own identity and resources.

Agreed. Jenna's mom has this part right. It's a significant risk for any parent to take time away from their careers to be SAH parents. That's true even for married college graduates: the lifetime earning penalty for those years out of the work force is a serious trade-off that those parents (mostly moms) have to consider. For an unmarried high schooler like Jenna, it's bananas to count on a fellow teenager to support her and Luca. Maybe he'll be willing and able to pay for her forever, but that's not a wise bet.

MAJOR side-eye for Ethan this week. He's been so kind and supportive, but he's still an ignorant kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5