Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

I have a bit of a bizarre nitpick. In the episode with Lane's wedding, after Lorelai's debacle of a toast, Rory gets a call and comes back and says "Logan's been hurt." and Christopher's response is "Is he ok?" which ANNOYS me so much! It's such a stupid response. Had she said that he'd been in an accident that would make more sense but if she states that he's been hurt, clearly he's NOT ok! It's possible that my opinion here is a bit biased because I despise Christopher but it just adds to why I think he's an idiot and not worth the screen time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, timimouse said:

I have a bit of a bizarre nitpick. In the episode with Lane's wedding, after Lorelai's debacle of a toast, Rory gets a call and comes back and says "Logan's been hurt." and Christopher's response is "Is he ok?" which ANNOYS me so much! It's such a stupid response. Had she said that he'd been in an accident that would make more sense but if she states that he's been hurt, clearly he's NOT ok! It's possible that my opinion here is a bit biased because I despise Christopher but it just adds to why I think he's an idiot and not worth the screen time.

Eh, I disagree. It's a pretty common question.  "Hurt" is a very vague term that can mean anything from a paper cut to a deadly accident. 

Revival nitpick. The Lorelai and Luke bedroom seemed to have a completely different layout compared to their season six bedroom. It's like doors and windows are in completely different places. 

Also, the decor in the Revival bedroom was wildly different from their nice cleanly designed season six bedroom. But that's just a question of taste not a nit to pick.

I'm on season 4 (I own all the DVDs and usually watch a few hours each weekend) and I just recently watch the episode where Lane is living with the girls at the dorm, and Rory comes home and Lane is asking why she is there, because she has some class in 15 minutes. And Rory tells her she just wants to shut her eyes for a bit. I don't know why, but that scenario really really bothers me. How is 15 minutes enough time for a brief rest??? Especially when you still have to walk to class. And God knows Yale isn't a tiny campus. And then she gets into it with Paris about something (Asher/Jamie?) and she STILL wants to go lay down! For what, thirty seconds??? 

Super petty, but it drives me nuts every time. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I'm on season 4 (I own all the DVDs and usually watch a few hours each weekend) and I just recently watch the episode where Lane is living with the girls at the dorm, and Rory comes home and Lane is asking why she is there, because she has some class in 15 minutes. And Rory tells her she just wants to shut her eyes for a bit. I don't know why, but that scenario really really bothers me. How is 15 minutes enough time for a brief rest??? Especially when you still have to walk to class. And God knows Yale isn't a tiny campus. And then she gets into it with Paris about something (Asher/Jamie?) and she STILL wants to go lay down! For what, thirty seconds??? 

Super petty, but it drives me nuts every time. 

Yeah, absolutely insane and illogical, but I do remember equal insanity from college classmates. Could be that she really is five minutes away, and that she's willing to be late, or is rationalizing a reason to skip it altogether. 

On 1/3/2017 at 2:37 PM, Lady Calypso said:

The funny thing is that they never said her actual birthday on the show. The only reason why October 8th is canonically her birthday is because there's one shot in the season 1 episode Rory's Birthday Parties which had Emily and Richard's invitation that they sent to the kids at Chilton, and on it has her birthday as October 8th.

I was watching Red Light on the Wedding Night, and the show does give a birth date for Rory. Dean says their "old" anniversary was the 24th of the month, the day after Rory's birthday, so she was born on the 23rd of October. 

Of course this does not fit, because in 2000 the 23rd of October was a Monday, not a Friday (it was the 27th which was a Friday that week). So you can put this down as both canon, and a nitpick.  

Had the debutante episode on as background noise and I can never figure out why Emily insisted that Rory needed a dozen pairs of pantyhose in case she got a run during one of her extremely strenuous debutante activities.  Who the hell would even know?  She's wearing a floor length dress.

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Had the debutante episode on as background noise and I can never figure out why Emily insisted that Rory needed a dozen pairs of pantyhose in case she got a run during one of her extremely strenuous debutante activities.  Who the hell would even know?  She's wearing a floor length dress.

When Emily was having marriage problems (or other family problems), she tended to shop.  I thought that was the reason for her excessive buying for the debutante ball.

I was watching The Bracebridg Diner this afternoon and am always annoyed when Lorelai was telling Rory about Christopher inviting Rory for Christmas and Lorelai was ranting that "I have dibs on this time of year with you. Not him. Me." Um, you have dibs on EVERY TIME OF YEAR!!!!

• Love 2

I was watching Norman Mailer yesterday and Christopher's apartment really confuses me. When Lorelai arrives, they go directly into a room off the front hall. There's no door, so is it a living room? A den? Gigi's crib is in there, but so is a couch and coffee table. Is she sleeping in the living room? Surely Chris has a nice enough apartment that she has her own bedroom. It's just weird. 

Just to add something about the whether it is 2016 or 2017. In "Winter" when Lorelai and Rory are walking around there is a sign that says, "Welcome 2016" as well as Paul Anka is wearing a New Years tiara that says 2016

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

Just to add something about the whether it is 2016 or 2017. In "Winter" when Lorelai and Rory are walking around there is a sign that says, "Welcome 2016" as well as Paul Anka is wearing a New Years tiara that says 2016

Ah, ok. So they just can't do simple math to be able to determine that Rory would only be 31 and not 32 if it was the beginning of 2016. Good to know. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ah, ok. So they just can't do simple math to be able to determine that Rory would only be 31 and not 32 if it was the beginning of 2016. Good to know. 

Just like the very first episode, when Lorelai didn't know her own daughter was still only 15 in September 2000! Some things never change, and an example of the trope Writers Can't Do Maths. It's one that always drives me bananas. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pam Poovey said:

Just like the very first episode, when Lorelai didn't know her own daughter was still only 15 in September 2000! Some things never change, and an example of the trope Writers Can't Do Maths. It's one that always drives me bananas. 

I can let the fact go that Lorelai says her 16 year old daughter in the Pilot because it aired in October and Rory's birthday is in Oct so she just rounded up a tad.

In 21 is the Loneliest  Number Rory's birthday is sometime around Halloween and the actual episode aired on the 25th.

But in 'Winter' 2016 it is depicted as being after Christmas and New Years so it's Jan  and Rory would have just turn 31 three months earlier. In that instance the rounding up was odd.

• Love 1

Mild nitpick.  Only two people show up for Uncle Louie's funeral (L&L - well and the Father, er, Reverend) yet there are a bunch of huge floral pieces at the cemetery.  I guess they could have come from the relatives who felt guilty about not showing up  I just seemed like having nothing there would be more realistic.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:24 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Maybe they just wanted Rory to be the same age Lorelai was in season 1. A full circle thing. So they ignored the math.

• Love 1

I'm listening to the episode with the twenty-four hour dance-a-thon, and Rory claims that she used to call Dean over and over, and hang up, to see if he was with a girl. We never saw anything like that - we saw her tongue-tied, and him coming up to her more than once, getting on her bus, hanging around outside her house on her birthday, telling her the first time he met her, that she was nice to look at, and he'd noticed her. Here's Dean saying that if she hadn't hung up the phone, she would have known that he liked her too - huh?

I suppose it could have happened, but I don't see it. 

• Love 4

This isn't really a nitpick per se, but I've been getting a lot of packages lately so the mailman has to bring them to the door, and it reminded me of the scene in Application Anxiety where the girls are watching the Brady Bunch Variety show and the mailman opens their front door without knocking, lays their mail on the table, tells them hello, and leaves.  The hell?  Who does that?

If it had been Sookie or Babette or Miss Patty, I wouldn't think that much of it, but even in the snow globe town of Stars Hollow I doubt people are comfortable enough with the mail carrier that he can feel free to just open the door and walk into the house.  Creepy.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

This isn't really a nitpick per se, but I've been getting a lot of packages lately so the mailman has to bring them to the door, and it reminded me of the scene in Application Anxiety where the girls are watching the Brady Bunch Variety show and the mailman opens their front door without knocking, lays their mail on the table, tells them hello, and leaves.  The hell?  Who does that?

If it had been Sookie or Babette or Miss Patty, I wouldn't think that much of it, but even in the snow globe town of Stars Hollow I doubt people are comfortable enough with the mail carrier that he can feel free to just open the door and walk into the house.  Creepy.

Hey, it could have  been worse. It might have been Kirk delivering mail that day. 

• Love 1

I don't know. Small town people can be weird. I live in a town of roughly 200 people. When we first moved here, if my mailman had a package and I was out back and didn't hear him knock, he would open the door of my car and leave it in there!!! I actually had to call and complain about it. 

Yes, it can certainly vary. My sister lives out in the country so if a delivery doesn't fit into the mailbox, the mailman will leave it inside the kitchen on the counter.  Their house is never locked and her dog adores the mailman.  The dog runs and jumps in his truck and he lets her ride along for a while before dropping her back at home.

• Love 1
On 08/04/2017 at 4:56 AM, Taryn74 said:

My parents had a postman who started doing that last year - he'd just open the door and put the mail on the counter - and that's in the middle of a busy city! Once they realised what he was doing, they started keeping the front door locked.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Llywela said:

My parents had a postman who started doing that last year - he'd just open the door and put the mail on the counter - and that's in the middle of a busy city! Once they realised what he was doing, they started keeping the front door locked.

Jeeeez!  And not in a small town, either.  That's just crazy.

I'm not sure if this is a "nitpick" or not, but I'm not sure the writers knew how big Stars Hollow was supposed to be or not.  I just saw elsewhere in a trivia section that the pop is supposed to be 9,900 something, I forgot the exact number.  I currently live in a town of 12,000 something and I grew up in a town of between 9 and 10,000.  OK, everyone in Star's Hollow seems to know everyone else.  I call BS on that.  You can apparently walk to everywhere.  For close to 10,000 people, it would be a lot more crowded if every place was within walking distance.   And Doosie's Market appears to be the only place to buy groceries.  that store can not support 10,000 people.  It's tiny.   And was that stoplight they put in front of Luke's the only stoplight they ever had in town?  The town I grew up in had 3 stop lights.  (I think).   

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm not sure if this is a "nitpick" or not, but I'm not sure the writers knew how big Stars Hollow was supposed to be or not.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious the writer's have no clue what a "small town" actually is.  They write SH as though it has a population of around 200, not 10,000.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious the writer's have no clue what a "small town" actually is.  They write SH as though it has a population of around 200, not 10,000.

But not entirely. The high school actually seemed about right.  They had enough students to fill out a basketball team, hockey team and marching band.  Couldn't do all that in a town with 200 people. 

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

But not entirely. The high school actually seemed about right.  They had enough students to fill out a basketball team, hockey team and marching band.  Couldn't do all that in a town with 200 people. 

True.  Basketball was our only sport, and our band had less than a dozen kids in it LOL.

Although a lot of our smaller schools had to consolidate in the early 90s because they didn't have enough funds to keep them all open.  The school I went to (that my parents both went to) doesn't even exist anymore.

But, really, it just boils down to the writers were fairly clueless about what a small town means.

1 minute ago, Taryn74 said:

Although a lot of our smaller schools had to consolidate in the early 90s because they didn't have enough funds to keep them all open.  The school I went to (that my parents both went to) doesn't even exist anymore.

We had kids from one other town going to our high school also.  Plus, we were a vocational center, so anyone within about a 20 mile radius who wanted to take votech classes went to our high school, too.  I forgot about that, so that probably bumped our numbers up a bit.

• Love 1

I live in a town of roughly 200. Our school is closed down as well. My kids are homeschooled, but area kids travel to the town 13 miles away for school. We basically have a few "community schools" in our county for the various towns. We don't have separate middle schools, jr. highs, or high schools. 

A lot of people in my town DO know everyone. We don't even have a stoplight. One minute and you're already through town. Stars Hollow DOES seem geographically bigger than mine, which would make sense if it's supposed to be a town of several thousand people. But the close knit feel, the types of stores, etc - should be a much smaller town. We go swim lessons and the library in a town 35 miles away. It's population is 7,000 - so a bit smaller than what Stars Hollow is supposed to be. They have a Wal-mart. An actual grocery store. A car dealership. People don't ALL know each other. 

So yea, it doesn't bug me as much as it bugs some of you, but they're way of the mark if they think there's that many people in SH. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

So yea, it doesn't bug me as much as it bugs some of you, but they're way of the mark if they think there's that many people in SH. 

It only bugs me because they seem to be portraying some aspects as a town of 1,000 or so and some aspects as a much larger town.  At least they didn't go to the other extreme and have something that screams big city:)

My cousin's fiance lived in a small town of about 400 people but they had a huge nymber of population on their sign. My cousin laughed about it but it turned out they listed everybody who ever lived there since the town was incorporated.

54 minutes ago, tarotx said:

My cousin's fiance lived in a small town of about 400 people but they had a huge nymber of population on their sign. My cousin laughed about it but it turned out they listed everybody who ever lived there since the town was incorporated.

Ah, so they're counting the cemetery inhabitants.  That's a little creepy, but OK.

• Love 2

It might have been mentioned in this thread before but it bugs me that Lorelai's only clothing option on Rory's first day at Chilton was those Daisy Dukes.  The show often brought up the fact that they borrowed each other's clothes- could she not have borrowed a skirt or pants or even jeans from her daughter's closet?

• Love 7

Yes, that bugs me so! Even her pyjamas would have been a better option. Her endless wardrobe makes it all the more unbelievable considering she must down at least 10 pairs of jeans, none of which would ever need go to the drycleaners! 

• Love 3

In Tippecanoe and Taylor Too, when Dean and Rory are trying to think of somewhere they can go in SH, why does Rory/Lorelai's house never even come up? Lorelei isn't home all the time and it certainly would be more private than Dean's parents and little sister being around.

I'm trying my best to re-watch the revival in hopes it is better the second time around.  Lorelai says that Richard took her to see Grease on her 13th birthday. Grease would have been released 3 years previous to her 13th birthday - that would be a long time to still be in the movie theater, so I'm going with it being a mistake.

10 minutes ago, deaja said:

I'm trying my best to re-watch the revival in hopes it is better the second time around.  Lorelai says that Richard took her to see Grease on her 13th birthday. Grease would have been released 3 years previous to her 13th birthday - that would be a long time to still be in the movie theater, so I'm going with it being a mistake.

Could have been a special showing for some reason.

I mostly lurk, but "Scenes from a Mall" was on the other day, and the food court scene always infuriates me! They spend half the episode trying to make "skint" happen (skint will never happen) to show us how broke they are, but then Lorelai refuses when Emily offers her the credit card to buy food. They can't afford a single item at the mall, but then easily spend $150 on crappy food court food all of which they can't possibly consume? 

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Rachel81 said:

I mostly lurk, but "Scenes from a Mall" was on the other day, and the food court scene always infuriates me! They spend half the episode trying to make "skint" happen (skint will never happen) to show us how broke they are, but then Lorelai refuses when Emily offers her the credit card to buy food. They can't afford a single item at the mall, but then easily spend $150 on crappy food court food all of which they can't possibly consume? 

That's why they don't have any money for anything else.  They spend all their money on food.  And not in a good way.  It was like when Richard came to visit and they ordered like everything on the menu from a  Chinese place, and when Richard scolded Lorelei for teaching Rory wastefulness she said they would eat it for the next few days. Well, maybe, but I'm remembering a scene with her cleaning out the fridge (in a different epi) and throwing stuff away and not knowing which pizza was from what night.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

That's why they don't have any money for anything else.  They spend all their money on food.  And not in a good way.  It was like when Richard came to visit and they ordered like everything on the menu from a  Chinese place, and when Richard scolded Lorelei for teaching Rory wastefulness she said they would eat it for the next few days. Well, maybe, but I'm remembering a scene with her cleaning out the fridge (in a different epi) and throwing stuff away and not knowing which pizza was from what night.

True, but a few episodes earlier, Rory makes a big deal about Lorelai having food in the fridge (and fewer magazines and dimmer lightbulbs [wtf?]) because she (Lorelai) is having money issues.

10 hours ago, Rachel81 said:

True, but a few episodes earlier, Rory makes a big deal about Lorelai having food in the fridge (and fewer magazines and dimmer lightbulbs [wtf?]) because she (Lorelai) is having money issues.

My dad does the dimmer light bulb thing. It drives me nuts. 

My nitpick had to do with them making it sound like Jess' dad only left a year or two before, when he first came to Stars Hollow. The following season, when his dad shows up, they make it sound like he left when Jess was a baby. 

• Love 3

I've only read through 17 pages of this thread, so sorry if I repeat something that's already been mentioned. Three things:

The Mom Code seems to be pretty fluid. In Double Date (1.12), Rory didn't tell Lorelai about the double date with Dean/Todd/Lane, for plausible deniability, letting Lorelai off the hook for not giving Mama Kim all the details. Because if Lorelai knew, she would be obligated, by the Mom Code to tell. She MUST tell the truth to another mother. In the next episode, Concert Interruptus (1.13), Lane has to get permission to go to a concert in NY with Lorelai/Sookie/Rory, and when she told the truth, Mama Kim said no. Lorelai and Rory both declare this was 'stupid' of lane . . . to tell the truth. Perhaps Lorelai doesn't think the code is necessary when she's involved. Then a few episodes later, Lorelai suggests Rory take Lane to the Chilton party- a bunch of teenagers in Hartford with no adult supervision. First off, why even suggest this? Mama Kim will obviously say no. But then, oh! Lane somehow DID get permission. HOW??? 

Taylor made an issue over the number of parking spots for the Dragonfly compared to the number of rooms. 10 rooms, which is more than the number of spots, I think. Where do all the employees park? And where is this parking lot? Do all guests (and employees) ride those golf cart things? 

For a punchline of a cold open, Emily asked Lorelai if she thought she'd get married, because there were only so many spots in the family mausoleum. In the revival, Richard was buried in a regular cemetery.  

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, nclpllm said:

10 rooms, which is more than the number of spots, I think. Where do all the employees park?

there weren't more rooms than spots.  I think there were like 1.5 parking spots per room, but each room could hold two people.  Lorelei pointed out that some people sharing a room would be coming together.  taylor asked if she had already spoken them to know that?  LOL.  No, taylor.  It's common sense.  But, that's a good point about the employees.

25 minutes ago, nclpllm said:

For a punchline of a cold open, Emily asked Lorelai if she thought she'd get married, because there were only so many spots in the family mausoleum. In the revival, Richard was buried in a regular cemetery.  

Maybe some cousin got married and Richard lost his spot.

On 12/24/2016 at 5:46 PM, hippielamb said:

Forgot to add, the layout and size of Lorelai's house drives me crazy. I try not to think about it because every time I do, it makes no sense. I bring it up only because it was actually something to do with a storyline (where was G.G. going to sleep in season 7). 

Absolutely. It's more nonsensical than the Golden Girls house.

My biggest problem with the house is Rory's room. I've never seen a bedroom off of the kitchen before.

Maybe some cousin got married and Richard lost his spot.

I thought they were going to boot Aunt Knock Knock to make more room.  Maybe her relatives caught wind of that and used up the last spaces.

9 hours ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

My biggest problem with the house is Rory's room. I've never seen a bedroom off of the kitchen before.

It was probably originally a pantry that was enlarged, either by Lorelei (Luke), or previous owners.

22 hours ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

Absolutely. It's more nonsensical than the Golden Girls house.

Things like that bug me. I want to believe that the house is real, and when things don't add up it takes me out of the story. 

If I recall correctly, on Roseanne there was a similar room off the kitchen. But I have never seen anything like that in real life. 

I assumed it used to be an office because of the size and it being just off the kitchen that was turned into a bedroom (my grandparents did the same thing with their office because they needed another bedroom more then they needed an office).  I can't figure out why there isn't a second bedroom upstairs. It really makes no sense. I've been in similar houses and they've always had two bedrooms. Has anyone been in similar houses that there was only one bedroom? Two stories but only one bedroom? 

• Love 2