Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E19: StepNPull; DynoSafe; Probiotic Maker; Phoozy

• Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Daymond, Kevin, Lori, Robert

An invention that helps prevent the spread of germs; a smart refrigerated safe that makes contactless delivery more secure; an at home probiotic maker grows on the sharks; a spacesuit influenced gadget guard

(edited)

1. StepNPull" is a great idea (a way to open a door with an attached foot pedal, instead of having to touch the filthy handle).    Lori was so wrong saying that it's a home product, it's a commercial product only.  (OK, after thinking about this, and reading what other posters said, it may be a good idea for some people, but not for anyone with balance or dexterity issues.   It think it will work much better for some shoe types, but not for dress shoes, or higher heels.   I think the door opener requires a certain amount of coordination, and dexterity, plus balance, so there are a lot of people who can't use this safely).  

Kevin will be a good partner, and Daymond would have been worth the 8% to me.  

2. Dyno Safe-a temperature controlled smart locker, secured to your porch, for take out, medications, or groceries stored safely until you get home.   The woman seller keeps screwing up, and Kevin is trying so hard not to be mean.  It's only in three homes first.  They have zero sales, and only a prototype right now.   There is also a patent on the temperature control, and random code that the owner sets for each delivery.    I don't like the way the presentation is going, the seller is either very nervous, or something is seriously wrong.  The seller said she wants to do a licensing deal.  I wonder why she brought the business partner or whoever he is with her?   He hasn't said a word.   

Robert makes the deal, and Mark will be connected too (I'm not sure of the details about Mark's role).    As Mark says, "it's either Ring or nothing".   

3. Probiotic Maker- Home probiotic maker using starter seeds, put the heat wrap on the milk jugs.   Overnight, it turns into a yogurt looking substance.   Then you make parfaits, etc.    You can use cow's milk, almond milk, or any type you want, with fat content controlled by you.   Not great sales.  $2.1 million valuation, but lifetime sales are only $150k.    Terrible pitch, terrible valuation. I'm surprised Kevin didn't propose taking this product out behind the barn, and shooting it. 

No deal.   

4. Phoozy-cell phone protective pouch.    Great margins, great sales.    Lori and Robert partner on the deal. (The sellers don't take Kevin's offer).

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I wonder why Probiotic guy didn’t simply call it a kefir maker. Is it because people don’t know what kefir is, the word kefir is too”ethnic/too strange”, or he’s pushing the probiotic part? 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Msample said:

That presentation for DynoSafe was painful to watch.

It really was. I felt bad because she was so nervous, and she never seemed to relax. Plus she seemed devastated when Lori when out. 

I wouldn't have accepted Robert's deal if I was her. He basically set it up so if they disagree she has to listen to him, even if he doesn't have a majority of the ownership.

I think I must have a small kitchen. I keep seeing this products like an almond milk maker and a yogurt maker, and all I can think is where the heck would I put these things. I barely have enough counter space for my toaster.

• Love 9

Wasn't there another porch "safe"/locker on Shark Tank? It wasn't refrigerated, but it did have some kind of locking-code mechanism. Did I dream that?

The probiotic thing made zero sense to me. Don't you have to introduce probiotics into something for them to grow/cultivate? How does it happen in sealed, pasteurized (a.k.a., already heated and cooled) milk? The stuff that guy poured out of the milk jug made my stomach lurch. I guess the milk doesn't turn sour sitting out overnight, but I don't understand how. I can put yogurt in smoothies, but I'm kind of grossed out by eating it plain. I take probiotic supplements to try to keep my wonky gut in check. There's not enough yogurt in the world to fix that.

I don't understand how the phone bag keeps the phone from getting wet when one end of the bag is open for inserting the phone. Also, you can keep your phone from freezing on the ski slopes (a real problem you have on your hands, there) by not taking your phone with you when you are skiing.

• Love 3

@bilgistic From what the dude demonstrated, the probiotic starter is poured into the milk jug before the heater thing is put around it. I was waiting for Kevin to put the heater thing on his head, and he did! 😆

I didn’t understand what Robert was saying about the DynoSafe patent. If it covered something else? 🤨

(edited)

@CrazyInAlabama. I had to come here and report this:  for the first time ever I had seen and used a Shark Tank product before air. Yes, it’s the Step and Pull. My office building installed them months ago in the bathrooms. I was thrilled when I saw it, until I tried it. They don’t work well at all! There’s really not enough room to get a good purchase on it, and it’s just too hard to actually get the door open enough so you can get through. 

Nobody is using them. Everyone I see in the bathroom has resorted to using the door handle. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 11
  • Love 4
(edited)

Last week we bought a deck storage box at Home Depot. It looks like the same model the cold storage people were using for their prototype. We still have to put ours together LOL. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

😆

I didn’t understand what Robert was saying about the DynoSafe patent. If it covered something else? 🤨

He was saying it would cover the concept of the lock mechanism even if they switched to a different mode of operation. They all seemed to be objecting to the phone app concept, saying it was outdated. They wanted some other mode of keyless entry. 

• Love 2

There was an earlier package storage idea that was presented but without the refrigeration.  The problem is that the delivery people just don't have the time to enter codes, etc. (they are on strict timelines).  That's why they want it to open when the delivery person walks up to it.  I don't see the problem with just keeping it unlocked if you know a delivery is coming and then just have one button the delivery person pushes after they place the package into the storage unit.  I just do not see businesses investing in these and placing them on people's porches.  It would seem way too expensive for that.  I think Robert was really smart to insist on the majority of board seats-he knows the direction the technology is going and will ensure that the products keep up with it.  Personally, I don't order that many perishables so it's not anything I really care about.  And, there is no way my porch is big enough to accommodate something like that.

The probiotics guy was just trying to cash in on the current trend.  However, it continues to bother me that people think their ideas alone are worth millions without any demonstration of a demand for the product.

As soon as I saw the demonstration on the door thing I knew that I would not be able to use it due to the awkwardness of opening it enough to get through it while retaining my balance (which has deteriorated a bit as I have aged).  I see me tripping over it more than using it.  I appreciate the experience of the poster above with it.  The Sharks should have tried it for themselves to see the ease/difficulty.  Lori really was wrong about home use then when she realized how wrong she was she shifted to "well, they own businesses..."  I would imagine that to use it on an exterior door of a business would be a decision of the building owner/manager not a business that was leasing the space.  I would also wonder if screwing it into the door frame would weaken the frame itself in any way.

Okay, shallow remarks-I liked Lori's outfit more than most of what she wears (no cold shoulders!), and I really liked Robert's blue suit.  Kevin had a red pocket handkerchief which I don't recall seeing before and I thought it looked good against his typical black suit.  

• Love 4

Much to the chagrin of my boyfriend who jokingly calls flip-flops "the devil's hooves", I refuse to wear anything but flip-flops unless I'm absolutely forced to (I live in NC and never go anywhere). One of the few times I went out over the past six months, I managed to lacerate my left big toe on the bottom of a large metal exterior door when I opened it over my toe. A trip to Urgent Care and a stitch ensued. I don't know that I would've understood what the door step thing was had I seen it, but I'd have probably taken off my entire foot with it instead.

6 hours ago, GussieK said:

@CrazyInAlabama. I had to come here and report this:  for the first time ever I had seen and used a Shark Tank product before air. Yes, it’s the Step and Pull. My office building installed them months ago in the bathrooms. I was thrilled when I saw it, until I tried it. They don’t work well at all! There’s really not enough room to get a good purchase on it, and it’s just too hard to actually get the door open enough so you can get through. 

Nobody is using them. Everyone I see in the bathroom has resorted to using the door handle. 

Seems like a lot of bathroom doors and exterior "Pull" doors have industrial-strength closers to make the step thing annoying.

• Love 3

I had to laugh at probiotics guy who seemed concerned about the planet when he had 8 kids. Yeesh, dude. Plus, get yourself some pants that were made in this century.

I wondered about the possibility of frozen deliveries vs just cold deliveries. If ice cream had to compete with milk. How does the temp control work then?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, GussieK said:

They are also a misery for the disabled and wheelchair users.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I wouldn't make a deal with the storage woman just because she couldn't even get through her presentation and was emotional about everything.  Sure I have empathy for her being nervous but I'm not going into business with her.  What happens when she meets clients and other business people?  

Door idea is good but seems like a crowded market.  

Probiotic guy just no sales.  And just......why?  Whats with all these make it yourself stuff?   Make you own almond milk.  Make your own yogurt.  I don't want to make All my own stuff .  

Phone protecter I like the idea.  Especially at say the beach.  

• Love 4
On 4/2/2021 at 8:39 PM, hula-la said:

I wonder why Probiotic guy didn’t simply call it a kefir maker. Is it because people don’t know what kefir is, the word kefir is too”ethnic/too strange”, or he’s pushing the probiotic part? 

To my ear he mispronounced kefir himself, so possibly he didn't realize it was a kefir maker? Personally I'd be concerned about badness from the plastic leeching into the drink. Those bottles aren't made to be heated. No idea if my worry is scientifically sound, but I'd expect plenty of potential customers to be similarly concerned.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:16 AM, GussieK said:

He was saying it would cover the concept of the lock mechanism even if they switched to a different mode of operation. They all seemed to be objecting to the phone app concept, saying it was outdated. They wanted some other mode of keyless entry. 

They weren't objecting to the app; they were objecting to the "send a single use code" aspect of the app. They're tech guys so I'm sure they're not wrong that it's an old way to do it, and certainly delivery people don't have time for that shit, but I thought it was weird how harshly they poo-pooed it. I can think of several current products/stores that use that method for picking stuff up, and they've only been doing it that way for like a year.... maybe because she's at prototype she really is all that behind, but they sounded like they were saying her method was passe more than a decade ago and that's not true.

That said I'd have gone out the second she broke herself with her prerecorded spiel and couldn't seem to talk at all outside of her own script.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

YES. Are they farmers from the 1920s?

He's from Utah and has 8 kids, so definitely Mormon.

I usually need to open doors with my foot when my hands are full, but the Step and Pull doesn't work with a handle that needs to be turned. Now if someone came up with one that did, that would be great.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

They are also a misery for the disabled and wheelchair users.

I wondered why no one suggested the doors with panels you push for disabled access as a better alternative. As someone else said above, I don't have the balance anymore to be able to work one of those things safely. Also, if the main place they are being used is to exit a restroom, why not just grab the door handle with a couple of paper towels and put a trashcan outside the door to collect the refuse?

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Wasn't there another porch "safe"/locker on Shark Tank? It wasn't refrigerated, but it did have some kind of locking-code mechanism. Did I dream that?

You're right, and if I remember right they didn't get a deal either. She kept saying hers was unique because she had the temperature control, but she didn't explain how that worked. Do you need an outlet on your front porch to plug it in to?

I also don't see it being accepted by the people who are delivering your pizza and chinese food. They expect to be tipped when they hand you your delivery, unless you throw some money in the bottom of it for them to collect when they make the drop off.

There is also the problem of porch pirates simply walking off with the box to open elsewhere. Then you're not only out the price of your delivered item, but the cost of the box as well. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I usually need to open doors with my foot when my hands are full, but the Step and Pull doesn't work with a handle that needs to be turned. Now if someone came up with one that did, that would be great.

He did say it had to be a door that didn't have a latch. I'm surprised no one called him out on that limiting its usefulness.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I also don't see it being accepted by the people who are delivering your pizza and chinese food. They expect to be tipped when they hand you your delivery, unless you throw some money in the bottom of it for them to collect when they make the drop off.

I think at this point most people get contactless deliveries so the tips is handled in advance. Even prepandemic if I ordered food delivery all payment was via the app. I haven't given a pizza person a cash tip in years.

5 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

He did say it had to be a door that didn't have a latch. I'm surprised no one called him out on that limiting its usefulness.

It's definitely intended to be a commercial product. The point is not to have to touch door handles that a zillion strangers have touched. Most public spaces and public bathrooms do not use doors with knobs. It's straight push-pull. So while it is limited, the majority of the doors they're targeting fall within those limits. 

• Love 4

I take probiotic supplements to try to keep my wonky gut in check. 

I tried taking probiotics once, and I ended up with intestinal flora growing in my throat. It took two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of the proteus mirabilis, and then another round to get rid of the subsequent psuedomonas infection.  Never again.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I think at this point most people get contactless deliveries so the tips is handled in advance. Even prepandemic if I ordered food delivery all payment was via the app. I haven't given a pizza person a cash tip in years. 

I still don't think that is preferred by the person doing the delivery. There is really no guarantee that what you put on your credit card as a gratuity gets to the person it was intended to go to. 

Edited by eel21788

. Also, you can keep your phone from freezing on the ski slopes (a real problem you have on your hands, there) by not taking your phone with you when you are skiing.

. . . or simply put it into a pocket where it will get some of your body heat. That would also protect it from being damaged when you wipe out on the slopes, although I'm guessing that the only die-hard people who are skiing when it is 50 below are the ones who never wipe out.

17 hours ago, GussieK said:

However they will sell zillions of them because of the pandemic, especially because they are cheap, and commercial landlords will think they are doing the right thing, and they will sit unused. 

I think Robert was right when he said the peak of his sales has already passed.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I wouldn't have accepted Robert's deal if I was her. He basically set it up so if they disagree she has to listen to him, even if he doesn't have a majority of the ownership.

I seriously doubt she had a clue what she was agreeing to.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I wondered why no one suggested the doors with panels you push for disabled access as a better alternative. As someone else said above, I don't have the balance anymore to be able to work one of those things safely. Also, if the main place they are being used is to exit a restroom, why not just grab the door handle with a couple of paper towels and put a trashcan outside the door to collect the refuse?

The university I teach at has those on the outer and some inside doors. They are especially great in this era of Covid. 

• Love 2

Honestly, I’ve always wondered how vendors go on the show  stand in front of a bunch of millionaires and are filmed for an audience of millions and not have nerves.  The locker lady was real.  It’s not easy being excited , nervous and remembering all the lines to your pitch.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Honestly, I’ve always wondered how vendors go on the show  stand in front of a bunch of millionaires and are filmed for an audience of millions and not have nerves.  The locker lady was real.  It’s not easy being excited , nervous and remembering all the lines to your pitch.  

It wasn't just not knowing her lines.  She seemed to be totally lost during the whole process and on the verge of a breakdown.  

Nerves I can understand.  Hers went well beyond that.  She didn't seem at all like someone well suited for her position or the challenges she faces.  

• Love 5
On 4/3/2021 at 12:28 AM, bilgistic said:

Also, you can keep your phone from freezing on the ski slopes (a real problem you have on your hands, there) by not taking your phone with you when you are skiing.

Well I don't know about skiing, but my husband and I often don't bring both our phones in if we are going somewhere like to a restaurant, or a museum, so we leave one in the car.  And I have worried about the cold, but more often, about the heat.  I had actually looked for a product like this and there were none that were 'approved' for protection from the heat.  So I think we will give this a try!

On 4/3/2021 at 10:34 AM, seacliffsal said:

As soon as I saw the demonstration on the door thing I knew that I would not be able to use it due to the awkwardness of opening it enough to get through it while retaining my balance (which has deteriorated a bit as I have aged).  I see me tripping over it more than using it.  I appreciate the experience of the poster above with it.  The Sharks should have tried it for themselves to see the ease/difficulty. 

Good point...very surprised that they didn't...

On 4/3/2021 at 9:46 PM, theatremouse said:

Personally I'd be concerned about badness from the plastic leeching into the drink. Those bottles aren't made to be heated. No idea if my worry is scientifically sound, but I'd expect plenty of potential customers to be similarly concerned.

Another good point!

I can think of several current products/stores that use that method for picking stuff up, and they've only been doing it that way for like a year.... maybe because she's at prototype she really is all that behind, but they sounded like they were saying her method was passe more than a decade ago and that's not true.

She looked so baffled and befuddled when Mark was mentioning the newer technology...how had she never heard of it?

23 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Also, if the main place they are being used is to exit a restroom, why not just grab the door handle with a couple of paper towels and put a trashcan outside the door to collect the refuse?

Unfortunately, so many places now have the hand dryers (I say unfortunately, because it forces you to wait in line just to be sanitary if there are even two people in a one-unit bathroom, and it's actually less sanitary than paper since you can't do the grab-door-handle-thing and also you can see the droplets being sprayed against the wall and who knows where else they go). 

23 hours ago, eel21788 said:

She kept saying hers was unique because she had the temperature control, but she didn't explain how that worked. Do you need an outlet on your front porch to plug it in to?

There is also the problem of porch pirates simply walking off with the box to open elsewhere. Then you're not only out the price of your delivered item, but the cost of the box as well. 

Yet another good point about the outlet...

I think she said that the box attaches to your patio somehow, not just that you plop it down

On 4/3/2021 at 10:34 AM, seacliffsal said:

The probiotics guy was just trying to cash in on the current trend.  However, it continues to bother me that people think their ideas alone are worth millions without any demonstration of a demand for the product.

And it appeared that he literally had no concept that some people might not like the taste of yogurt-like products, nor choose to get their probiotics in a calorie-containing delivery method.  And I really, really didn't like the difficulty he had answering Lori's question about which probiotics were in it.

• Love 1

My former company had to put out an email because so many people were using the paper towels to grab the handle in the bathroom, then tossing them at the garbage bin and missing but not bothering to go back and pick them up.

Woman with the delivery locker wasn't just nervous, she was completely frazzled when she forgot her patter. Asked her partner for the line, then had to backtrack to get through the script. She couldn't adapt her spiel, which is a good indicator that she's probably not very adaptable when she gets thrown off track by anything. Does not bode well, so it's probably a good thing the Sharks will control the Board.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

1. StepNPull" is a great idea (a way to open a door with an attached foot pedal, instead of having to touch the filthy handle).    Lori was so wrong saying that it's a home product, it's a commercial product only.  (OK, after thinking about this, and reading what other posters said, it may be a good idea for some people, but not for anyone with balance or dexterity issues.   It think it will work much better for some shoe types, but not for dress shoes, or higher heels.   I think the door opener requires a certain amount of coordination, and dexterity, plus balance, so there are a lot of people who can't use this safely).  

Kevin will be a good partner, and Daymond would have been worth the 8% to me.  

I agree about Daymond.  Also, the first thing that went through my mind was, "this is cool," but the video showed it installed on a door that was part of a strip mall and I would TOTALLY trip over the damn thing as I'm walking by and break my ankle/neck.   Am I just excessively clumsy that nobody else was concerned about that?

On 4/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder why she brought the business partner or whoever he is with her?   He hasn't said a word.

Her husband.  I think he was intended to be emotional support.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, rhys said:

I wondered about the possibility of frozen deliveries vs just cold deliveries. If ice cream had to compete with milk. How does the temp control work then?

You have to pick one temperature and roll with it - perhaps fridge stuff today and freezer tomorrow.

They weren't objecting to the app; they were objecting to the "send a single use code" aspect of the app. They're tech guys so I'm sure they're not wrong that it's an old way to do it, and certainly delivery people don't have time for that shit, but I thought it was weird how harshly they poo-pooed it. I can think of several current products/stores that use that method for picking stuff up, and they've only been doing it that way for like a year.... maybe because she's at prototype she really is all that behind, but they sounded like they were saying her method was passe more than a decade ago and that's not true.

I agree that the security tech wasn't as passé as they were trying to make it sound.  But they are right that the delivery people need to just be able to walk over and open it.  It would make sense that you would want it to remain locked until something was being delivered in case an animal or a child managed to get locked inside of it.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, eel21788 said:

I wish so much that this would be standard procedure, or have some sort of automated door.  This has bothered me since way before Covid.  I do NOT want to touch that door handle.  I hear many people leave the bathroom when I'm in there and the sink is never activated.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, eel21788 said:

She mentioned that it would be installed somehow - it doesn't just sit on your porch.

Edited by aemom
Misplaced comma
  • Love 1
On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

He's from Utah and has 8 kids, so definitely Mormon.

My office building disabled the turning handle, so you can either just pull with your foot or the handle.  They had to disable the locks and latches for this to work at all, so no more hunting for the bathroom key.

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They did say the box was attached to the porch, but they said it in the middle of all of the other information, and it was emphasized. 

The deck box I bought (that looks like the prototype) has little screw holes at the bottom if you wanted to screw it to your deck. 

15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They did say the box was attached to the porch, but they said it in the middle of all of the other information, and it was emphasized. 

Do you think that would stop a determined thief? Most safes secured to a wall in the interior of your house are removed by thieves who take it with them to open elsewhere. This wouldn't be any different other than being clearly visible from the street. I'd think of it as nothing more than an open invitation to porch pirates. I've even had my recycle bins stolen off my porch. If someone wants to take it, he'll find a way.  

• Love 1

Most porch pirates, judging by ring cam footage, are more opportunists than dedicated thieves who haul wall safes somewhere to be pried open later.  So if the box is bolted down you're gonna dissuade a lot of them I'd think. And you still have the refrigeration benefit if nothing else. 

• Love 4
On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, eel21788 said:

It's not great for the environment, but it is the easiest solution. I was also at store where they had installed door handles that you could hook your elbow around to avoid actually touching it. That was pretty nice during Covid. They had even put a sign up explaining you could open the door that way in case people didn't realize.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2021 at 7:33 PM, KaveDweller said:

It's not great for the environment, but it is the easiest solution. I was also at store where they had installed door handles that you could hook your elbow around to avoid actually touching it. That was pretty nice during Covid. They had even put a sign up explaining you could open the door that way in case people didn't realize.

Or just use a napkin/hankerchief/papertowel when you need to open a common door.   Do we really need a new technology?

• Love 2
On 4/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, KaveDweller said:

Robert goes all Marcus Lemonis on the Dynosafe lady! 

Can't blame him though, she was a mess. Not just her nerves, but she didn't seem to understand Robert or Mark's comments about the tech and the path to success. He is rightly concerned she will not make the best decisions going forward. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

He wasn't very good at it.  They almost had to mop her up off the floor.

And that's how she was when her emotional support human was WITH her. Imagine if she'd left him outside the room.

• Love 2