Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: A Box of Treasure and the Meemaw of Science

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon, Dr. Linkletter and Meemaw team up on a science experiment. Also, Mary is jealous that Pastor Jeff and Brenda are spending time together, and Georgie has a new side hustle.

Airdate: 1 April 2021

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

Poor Connie got all excited to be a part of a scientific experiment. It was too good to be true.

Sucks that the Sparks broke up, but more bonding for Mary and Brenda! Which is good because when you’re such a churchie that you get jealous of anyone else hanging out with your pastor then you need more friends.

As always Georgie stole the show. Goes from selling Sheldon’s old tests to help people cheat to extorting the teacher over his affair with the librarian to get out of trouble. Never a dull moment!

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

Pros - Georgie's story line was great.  He is quite the businessman even in his teens!!  Loved how he got by with his scheme by telling the teacher he saw him and the librarian together.  

Cons - Not enough Missy!!!  What happened to her part in this show?  I don't think she has had more than a line or two for the past several episodes.  

Having Dr. Sturgis make appearances only via the phone or a letter to MeeMaw is just not the same as having him personally interact with the cast.  I assume there is a reason Wallace Shawn can't be present in person, but it is not the same as when he was a regular cast member acting along with everyone. 

Not exactly a Pro or Con - But MeeMaw's reaction to finding out what the actual experiment was seemed rather over the top.  She didn't know enough about the science behind the situation to be that upset.  

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, freeser said:

Having Dr. Sturgis make appearances only via the phone or a letter to MeeMaw is just not the same as having him personally interact with the cast.  I assume there is a reason Wallace Shawn can't be present in person, but it is not the same as when he was a regular cast member acting along with everyone. 

Wallace Shawn lives in NYC, and with COVID-19 travel restrictions hasn't been in studio with the others. I'm guessing that his solo scenes are taped in New York and edited in later.

• Useful 13
  • Love 4

Georgie really is quite the businessman, even as a teenager. He managed to get out of trouble by playing the old "I saw your steamy morning affair with the librarian" card. Even when Sheldon isnt at the high school anymore, he's still bringing the GPA up. 

Not much Missy lately, which is sad. I enjoy her snarky commentary on the goings on, but I am hoping that she will get more of her own subplots soon.

MeeMaw learns one of the most important aspects of the scientific method...that it can take a really long time. Always nice to see Dr. Sturgis. "Your doing experiments and I'm eating dinner for breakfast! The world is a weird place." 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Georgie really is quite the businessman, even as a teenager. He managed to get out of trouble by playing the old "I saw your steamy morning affair with the librarian" card.

But, Georgie! Get the original test back!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

It was nice to see the librarian again - but too bad she's with Mr. Givens. She deserves better!! 😊

I can't get over how much Montana and Raegan have grown!! Not enough Missy, I agree. Georgie is hilarious, and I can't help but wonder how Sheldon would react to his beloved librarian being with his nemesis Mr. Givens. 🤣😂

I'm also continuing to love the Mary/Brenda frenemy dynamic. They may snipe at each other, but when the chips are down are always there for each other. 

• Love 10

I understand it's television, but why couldn't Pastor Jeff have said that Brenda didn't feel comfortable talking to him at the church and the walks were counseling sessions (I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology, but I feel it's close enough). You could still have Mary trying to figure out what's happening. The fact that Pastor Jeff is helping another member of the church with a personal problem/issue shouldn't be a surprise to Mary. 

I thought the episode was going to go in a different direction with Brenda and Mary. My prediction (which turned out to be wrong) was that Brenda didn't feel comfortable talking to Mary because (from Brenda's perspective) she didn't think she would understand. Mary already as a son in college while Brenda probably isn't sure if Billy will even graduate high-school. Missy is popular, and Georgie despite not doing well at school, is a good person who can hold down a decent job. 

I'm glad she finally felt comfortable enough to talk to Mary about what was actually happening in her life.  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought the episode was going to go in a different direction with Brenda and Mary. My prediction (which turned out to be wrong) was that Brenda didn't feel comfortable talking to Mary because (from Brenda's perspective) she didn't think she would understand. Mary already as a son in college while Brenda probably isn't sure if Billy will even graduate high-school. Missy is popular, and Georgie despite not doing well at school, is a good person who can hold down a decent job. 

I'm glad she finally felt comfortable enough to talk to Mary about what was actually happening in her life.  

Those were my thoughts, too. I'm also glad that Pastor Jeff didn't take the bait when Mary started to pry. Besides, given how his own first marriage ended, he really understands Brenda's situation.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I understand it's television, but why couldn't Pastor Jeff have said that Brenda didn't feel comfortable talking to him at the church and the walks were counseling sessions (I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology, but I feel it's close enough).

Brenda probably didn't want anyone knowing she was receiving counselling.

I thought that Brenda would suspect that the Pastor Jeff had told Mary that she had a problem, but since Mary had only mentioned Billy, and Brenda was also dealing with the end of her marriage, clearly he hadn't talked to Mary.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, freeser said:

Not exactly a Pro or Con - But MeeMaw's reaction to finding out what the actual experiment was seemed rather over the top.  She didn't know enough about the science behind the situation to be that upset.  

Well, she thought there was only one Nobel prize category for science with a cool trophy spelling out SCIENCE and she'd get to wear a tiara to the ceremony. Of course the reality of experimental physics was bound to be disappointing compared to that.

Georgie has some good business sense, but it would have been a smarter choice to make the copies at Kinko's. He'd still have had a huge profit margin and avoided detection for a few more weeks before the teachers became suspicious about the students suddenly getting so much smarter.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Loved this episode!  Finally, they admitted that Hershel is gone since irl Billy Gardell has his own series.  And well played by Georgie with Mr. Givens!  😂

I had no memory of Billy Gardell in that role!

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Yes, it was a small role, but the scene I remember most is when Hershel and George went into the Sparks chicken coop to talk man-to-man about Hershel's daughter bullying Sheldon.   She's another character inexplicably gone -  Brenda and Hershel's daughter.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, GussieK said:
10 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Finally, they admitted that Hershel is gone since irl Billy Gardell has his own series.  And well played by Georgie with Mr. Givens!  😂

Same here. Even if they waited to write-out Billy Gardell’s character (Herschel? Brenda’s husband?) until Gardell’s new show was picked up for a second season, having Herschel basically MIA so long that we forgot about him is a great strategy. 

9 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I understand it's television, but why couldn't Pastor Jeff have said that Brenda didn't feel comfortable talking to him at the church and the walks were counseling sessions (I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology, but I feel it's close enough). You could still have Mary trying to figure out what's happening. The fact that Pastor Jeff is helping another member of the church with a personal problem/issue shouldn't be a surprise to Mary. her life.  

Or could a subplot be simmering -- something going on between the two . . . although how many affairs can we discover in one episode. 😁

• Love 1
(edited)

I was thinking that Mary Grill could be pregnant in real life. Would explain why we haven’t seen her all season. Sure enough someone told me on Reddit she gave birth to twin boys two months ago. And also, I had no idea she is actually married to Matt Hobby in real life. (For 10 years). If I knew that I forgot. That explains a lot. I expect we’ll see her give birth around the season finale. And I wonder if her real life pregnancy was why they decided to write it in the show?

Edited by nelroy78
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Pastor was right in keeping his conversations with Brenda confidential. 

Yeah, it's not Mary's business that Brenda is seeking counseling. (If he was a doctor it'd be a HIPAA violation for him to tell someone else she was even seeing him. And Mary's position at the church doesn't justify her having that information.)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Pastor was right in keeping his conversations with Brenda confidential. 

Mary was too caught up in her own feelings of being left out that she didn't stop to consider that there was more to Brenda & Pastor Jeff's friendship than what she perceived.  Hopefully that was a lesson learned for her.    I will take my other comment about Brenda to the anomalies thread, since I'm not sure if I can even hide it in a spoiler here.  

• Love 5

I love that Missy and Georgie behave in realistic ways, for those ages, yet they are still extremely likable. Sheldon needs to insult Linkletter and speak condescendingly to his MeeMaw. Why? They should call this show “Despite Young Sheldon,” because that’s why I watch.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Quark said:

Great episode.

Dr Sturgiss saying how delightful it was to hear Connie talk about neutrinos was the highlight for me.

I love this character and actor so much! I should rewatch The Princess Bride tonight.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I understand it's television, but why couldn't Pastor Jeff have said that Brenda didn't feel comfortable talking to him at the church and the walks were counseling sessions (I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology, but I feel it's close enough). You could still have Mary trying to figure out what's happening. The fact that Pastor Jeff is helping another member of the church with a personal problem/issue shouldn't be a surprise to Mary. 

Seeing as how part of the reason she didn't want to go to the church for counselling was because Mary would see her there would have made Pastor Jeff telling her that inappropriate.

Dr Sturgis is such a child (in a good way).  He expresses such delight in pretty much everything he said.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Yes, it was a small role, but the scene I remember most is when Hershel and George went into the Sparks chicken coop to talk man-to-man about Hershel's daughter bullying Sheldon.   She's another character inexplicably gone -  Brenda and Hershel's daughter.

She's on the island of misfit TV characters - along with Chuck Cunningham, Judy Winslow, Carl Dixon, etc.

• Love 2
On 4/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Loved this episode!  Finally, they admitted that Hershel is gone irl Billy Gardell has his own series.

Brenda: "He got engaged to a Nigerian nurse in Detroit!"

• LOL 14
(edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, ChitChat said:

"The MeeMaw of Science" still has me cracking up!  Kudos to whoever came up with the title!  I love Annie Potts.  She can do no wrong in my book!  

And that her knowledge of science is so limited, that the trophy just says SCIENCE.  Her dream couldn't even conjure up something like an atom.  Too funny.  

I'm not saying she's not smart, just that science isn't her thing.

I must be getting too covid-conscious. Maybe Missy's family wants her interactions limited for now.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 3

FWIW, I was watching an episode of Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show from 2018 and one of her close friends is Melissa Peterman (Brenda).  She and her husband joined Valerie and her husband for dinner on the show.  I've never seen Melissa in anything else, so I'm not familiar with her work.  I love her as Brenda on YS though.  I think it's good for Mary to have someone else to talk to other than her Mom.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Johann said:

I must be getting too covid-conscious. Maybe Missy's family wants her interactions limited for now.

Considering that these were shot months ago, I think that's a likely scenario. And maybe Raegan Revord lives far from shooting?

4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

FWIW, I was watching an episode of Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show from 2018 and one of her close friends is Melissa Peterman (Brenda).  She and her husband joined Valerie and her husband for dinner on the show.  I've never seen Melissa in anything else, so I'm not familiar with her work.  I love her as Brenda on YS though.  I think it's good for Mary to have someone else to talk to other than her Mom.  

Melissa was one of the major characters on Reba's sitcom a few years ago.

I love Meemaw's tiara at the awards ceremony.

• Love 4
(edited)

I understand there are some that don’t care for Dr. Sturgiss, but I absolutely love his role with meemaw and am happy the producers are keeping him around while hopefully keeping Dr. Linkletter at bay (relationship wise.) 

Dale is a douche, so that good there. Hopefully they will bring a stronger Sturgiss back next season as a regular. 

On 4/2/2021 at 9:32 PM, SmithW6079 said:
Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 10
(edited)

Meemaw has absorbed so much science from Sheldon, Sturgis and Linkletter and actually understands enough of it that she may be qualified for a degree in Physics herself.

Edited by Bobbin
Changed "BS" to "degree." The sky's the limit!
  • Love 3
On 5/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, appositival said:

I was surprised that no one thought of using a fishnet stocking for the support. I'll wager that Meemaw has a pair stashed away somewhere.

Or macrame. But macrame is probably too Flower Child-y for Texas in general and for Meemaw in particular. 

I’m always surprised when it’s portrayed (at least on TV) that teachers always use the same test year after year. Don’t they have teacher’s textbooks with the answers to the exercises in them in the US? Just use the next 10 questions! Eventually you'll run out, but it'll take a few years.

Did like that Meemaw was actually showing genuine curiosity when getting involved, even if she didn’t exactly follow the science.

On 4/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, it's not Mary's business that Brenda is seeking counseling

Agreed. I imagine the fact that she didn't want her marriage being the subject of neighbourly gossip was the main reason she didn't want to be seen visiting the church given that Mary is his secretary. I'm glad the two did talk in the end though - they work well as Frenemies.