Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: There's Magic in Hell?

• Start Topic

The Chefs compete in three difficult challenges to prove if they are worthy of a Black Jacket, which all comes down to Nikki and Amber fighting for the final one.

Airdate: 03/25/2021

While I think that Gordon giving Nikki the opportunity to "stage" at any of his restaurants is nice" basically it's a non paying job to gain experience.  Hopefully, she has enough money saved to cover everyday living expenses.

• Love 1

Sadly I think that Amber over Nikki was the right choice at that moment.  Nikki just seemed to give up right after she overcooked her lobster.  She saved it, but she seemed really deflated after that.

Am I the only one here who can't stand that smug schmuck Cody?  He's goofy sweet with Mary Lou, I'll give him that, but his interviews and bro time with Declan show him in a far more arrogant and unflattering light.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, cameron said:

While I think that Gordon giving Nikki the opportunity to "stage" at any of his restaurants is nice" basically it's a non paying job to gain experience.  Hopefully, she has enough money saved to cover everyday living expenses.

Hopefully, he will provide her with at least minimal living expenses or alternatively, put her up in a hotel and give her a food per diem. If he DOES do that, it's an incredible opportunity for her, both in terms of real-world knowledge and something to put on her resume.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

He's goofy sweet with Mary Lou, I'll give him that, but his interviews and bro time with Declan show him in a far more arrogant and unflattering light.

I went from hating him to really liking him to hating him again. And yeah, he's interested in cooking up a little something below the waist with Mary Lou. His edit seems to have shifted to this year's Jason* (ironically the blue team's sous chef): arrogant guy whose entire final storyline involved chasing Holli (the actual winner, I believe).

(I was wondering why I couldn't remember Jason, but the Hell's Kitchen wiki said he went by "Jay" as a contestant, which he certainly does not do this year. I remember him slightly more as Jay, and the most as "that guy with blue hair.")

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

(I was wondering why I couldn't remember Jason, but the Hell's Kitchen wiki said he went by "Jay" as a contestant, which he certainly does not do this year. I remember him slightly more as Jay, and the most as "that guy with blue hair.")

We watched his season a few months ago and he went by either "Jay" or "Blue Jay." I too was a little surprised that he goes by "Jason" now.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mertensia said:

I wonder how awful Amber is off camera that Declan wants her gone gone gooooooone.

How easy is it to ID fish by taste, anyhow? I don't eat it, so have no idea.

Not that easy, frankly. Most fish is kind of bland and gets its flavor from seasoning.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, mertensia said:

I wonder how awful Amber is off camera that Declan wants her gone gone gooooooone.

How easy is it to ID fish by taste, anyhow? I don't eat it, so have no idea.

Other than salmon, most fish tastes similar to me.  I figured the fish they were trying to identify was Chilean sea bass, just because it sounds more upscale than cod.  

• Love 2

I ended up liking Nikki and was sorry to see her leave and, like almost everyone else, I can't stand Amber so I was even more sorry to see her advance.  However, Gordon is supposedly looking for someone to run a kitchen with all that that entails and Nikki just doesn't have enough experience yet.  I hope she is able to take Gordon up on his offer.

Gordon, despite all the theatrics, does know what he's doing so I'm sure he knows that Amber has been toxic throughout the competition.  I don't think she'll win in the end.

• Love 7

Okay I’m watching and Amber is such a two faced twat. And I generally like Kori, but she’s just egging Amber’s poor sportsmanship by making it about men v. Women, when it has nothing to do with that. Amber is the one with the crappy attitude. And then Kori’s like “Hi Big D!!!!” after she just trashed both him and Cody to sourpuss Amber. 

I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I like Declan. I admit, his Oirish brogue is part of it. But time and again, Amber shows how much she sucks and refuses to own up to her own fuck ups.

So I’m glad that Declan got the black jacket before those two and getting the massage!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mertensia said:

Probably not much. Declan isn't exactly a team player and not humble either. In fact he's a pretty big guy who likes to flex at the boys because they're all smaller and physically intimidated. I wasn't impressed with his constant bitching and moaning about the guys, and the bragging about himself when he's not a standout contestant, and his bitching about Amber just feels like he's dismissing her the easiest way he can-  she's got tits so she's weak and whiny, emotional,  and not on his level. The problem is that she's not the worst there, and never was. Honestly, no one is an obvious front runner for winning although I'd argue Declan is least likely being higher in age, a bit abrasive, not traditionally handsome, and set in his ways.  Mind you, I dont think Amber will win either,  I just doubt she's a nightmare. If there was awful drama, we'd be seeing it.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode even though I would have preferred that Amber left instead of Nikki, but I understand that it's very problematic that Nikki has very little experience.  Well, maybe they shouldn't cast newbies...

I think that Gordon probably already knows at this point in whom he is most interested.  I think 
Amber will go soon as she is just too whiny and emotional.  I think at this point it's down to leadership abilities as they all seem to be good chefs.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But time and again, Amber shows how much she sucks and refuses to own up to her own fuck ups.

Once again:   Amber has the attitude that she's "God's gift to the culinary world." She's not; not even close.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, jabRI said:

I hope next season isn't in Las Vegas, not a big fan of the 'shows' or the 'prizes' there... looking at you family style italian dinner,  surfing indoors...

Seasons 19 and 20 were filmed back-to-back in Vegas. Jason and Christina are the sous-chefs in both.

• Useful 1

They only kept Amber for The Drama. She can't lead a kitchen if everyone hates her. Plus she is delusional.

I'm glad Nikki got an offer, but that was very predictable.

As for Jason or Jay: he'll always be Smurf to me. (And that S7 stuff with Holli was icky.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

We watched his season a few months ago and he went by either "Jay" or "Blue Jay." I too was a little surprised that he goes by "Jason" now.

He’s shown up on at least one other show (Bar Rescue) as an “expert” - and somehow I can’t picture Bob Taffer saying, “so here’s my culinary consultant, Blue Jay...”.  Beyond that, it has been (yikes!) a decade since that season - maybe he’s trying to act more grown up, blue hair not withstanding.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

He’s shown up on at least one other show (Bar Rescue) as an “expert” 

Funny you should mention this, I just saw him on an episode of Bar Rescue the other day.  He's not someone I ever thought of as an "expert" but there you go.

6 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

He’s shown up on at least one other show (Bar Rescue) as an “expert” - and somehow I can’t picture Bob Taffer saying, “so here’s my culinary consultant, Blue Jay...”.  Beyond that, it has been (yikes!) a decade since that season - maybe he’s trying to act more grown up, blue hair not withstanding.

There was another Jason that season so TPTB might've forced him to go by "Jay".  The "Blue Jay" angle is why they didn't ask the other Jason.

I’m thinking it’s between Cody and Kori for the win. My son was on some betting site and Declan is the favorite there to win. After watching how Gordon operates for many years, I can’t see him hiring Declan. Gordon prefers young, energetic looking people although occasionally someone shows up like Christina who was just very, very good ( plus the above). 
I liked Amber at first but she is too emotional and is messing up a lot. Mary Lou seems to be a good cook, but her ill fitting purple wig and constant giggling will probably put her out of the running.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Am I the only one here who can't stand that smug schmuck Cody?  He's goofy sweet with Mary Lou, I'll give him that, but his interviews and bro time with Declan show him in a far more arrogant and unflattering light.

No, it's not just you.  My husband and I see Cody the same way, which is one reason he's not my pick for the winner.

I'm leaning toward Kori for the win because she's the dark horse in a way - Never has a snarky comment about anyone, never pictured in a less than flattering light.  Just visible but not a "character" or appearing in that many talking heads.  Her cooking must be really solid as it's obvious they're not keeping her around for her entertainment factor.

I'm not picking Amber because she is just keeping it this side of breaking down under the pressure.  Not sure that's a great advertisement for her ability to lead or work under very stressful conditions.

I would like to pick Declan for the win, but agree with the above that Ramsay's preferences lean away from older, heavier chefs.  But there's always a first time (and there should be).  I like him well enough, but not sure Ramsay will see him as the right person for the win.

• Love 1

I think what bugged me the most about the final outcome is that Nicki was being really humble and appreciative of the opportunity to compete, and I can't count how many times Amber went on about how she 'deserved' the black jacket based on her years of experience, whatever.  This should be more like 'top chef' where you are only as good as your last cook.

• Love 4

I just rewatched season 10* (Christina's season), knowing the outcome of course. It seemed clear as day that he would pick Christina (hindsight, I know). My point is, there's no way Amber would be running one of his restaurants. Nor Mary Lou. I think it'll be down to Cory and Kori and I'll be happy with either one. I don't see Declan winning.

*It's amazing what I'll resort to when I'm procrastinating on something else, lol. AMAZING.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, WendyM said:

I just rewatched season 10* (Christina's season), knowing the outcome of course. It seemed clear as day that he would pick Christina (hindsight, I know). My point is, there's no way Amber would be running one of his restaurants. Nor Mary Lou. I think it'll be down to Cory and Kori and I'll be happy with either one. I don't see Declan winning.

*It's amazing what I'll resort to when I'm procrastinating on something else, lol. AMAZING.

Absolutely . . . first time she disagreed with HIM and told HIM that she was a better executive chef than he could EVER be . . . g-o-n-e.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm leaning toward Kori for the win because she's the dark horse in a way - Never has a snarky comment about anyone,

Except when she's trash talking about Cody and Declan because Amber is whining about them. And then when she sees them, she's all "Hey there! How you doing?" in a fakey friendly voice. I say fakey, because not a minute before, she was shown telling Amber, they're guys; they have dicks, ergo they're assholes.

• Love 3