Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Shannon's Journey

• Start Topic

Shannon's husband loves her the way she is but that may not help because she is 700 pounds and bedridden.  Dr. ow knows it's not easy to break a toxic cycle of overfeeding and enabling, but that's what needs to happen if Shannon wants to live past 40. 

Pounders, we have a 700 pound poundticipant!  Shannon is a wee lass with a husband who feeds and feeds and feeds some more.  

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the initial US airing.  
Original air date 2021.03.03.  

• Love 3

Highlights were in road trip to Dr Now’s, taking her scooter on the highway and her British husband’s teeth. The show directly addressed COVID. But Shannon made very little progress is 14 months and her prognosis is poor. A couple frightening moments for her when she seemed desperate and in jeopardy, and frightening for viewers at the distribution of fat in her legs. Not a success, more of a freak show.

• Love 14
Just now, suev3333 said:

I thought it was a cringe-fest at best...when they were trying to put her in the back of the van and she was whining/yelling at her hubby.... talk about a circus, omg😬😬😬.   Definitely not a success story.

( Sorry about the post above this one, I hit the wrong button😁)

• Love 3

I think this was the scariest 600 (700) pounder I've seen.  Her entire body except her face is absolutely swaddled in rolls of fat.  How on earth does she keep clean?  Does she keep clean?

What is wrong with her husband that he would keep giving her the food she wanted after Dr. Now made it clear that she was at death's door because of her weight?  Why, indeed, don't these folks and their caregivers take the situation seriously?  He kept agreeing that he would "do what I can" or some such.  She was totally in his power re: food, and he should have been able to get some considerable weight off her.  I know it must be hell to live with someone who screams and curses and carries on if you don't give them the food they want, but at some point could he not see how motherfucking huge she was?

And for god's sake, somebody sew up that rip in the rear seam of her gray stretch pants. 

I am furious with everybody involved.

• Like 1
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

They're all the same this season, aren't they?

Except they’ve started referring to the episodes as “journeys” instead of “stories.” 

Speaking of journeys, after the Feet Show, I watched “Half-Ton Killer Transformed” a program from 2013 where Dr. Now helped a 1,000 pound woman after she was acquitted of murdering her nephew. Mayra was so cooperative and pleasant, worked hard and recognized this would change her whole relationship with food for the rest of her life. It was an inspiring success story with no drama, whining, arguing or making excuses. Even Dr. Now’s demeanor was different than what we see now when he works with so many non-compliant patients who want a quick fix. I wish more “journeys” were like this one. 

• Love 10

I think that due to Covid the past year, many of the patients who started with Dr. Now didn't get in to see him, so they are working with whatever footage that they have. So far, no one in this season has even qualified for weight loss surgery. It was very strange the way Shannon carried her weight. I don't hold out hope that she's going to end up qualifying either. Her husband obviously married her to become her caretaker and I don't see that dynamic changing after 10 years.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, nokat said:

I thought I had this set to record. Fudge, this is usually a highlight of my week.

It's on again tonight, so I'll enjoy it tomorrow.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:31 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Pounders, we have a 700 pound poundticipant!  Shannon is a wee lass with a husband who feeds and feeds and feeds some more.  

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the initial US airing.  
Original air date 2021.03.03.  

Just a wee lass. Your description makes me want to watch.

• LOL 3

I was wondering the same thing. Why aren't the doors wider at his office, and why no automatic door openers? Not very user friendly. I think expecting this woman to stand on a scale borders on punitive.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

I was wondering the same thing. Why aren't the doors wider at his office, and why no automatic door openers? Not very user friendly. I think expecting this woman to stand on a scale borders on punitive.

Bringing up the doors is a very good point. I can have a hard time with opening a heavy swinging door because of mobility issues not related to weight. A lot of people visiting Dr. Now must have difficulty getting in those doors.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Concerned said:

British husband’s teeth

The Big Book of British Smiles from the Simpsons. I can't hate on Simon. I'm also a sucker for a British accent. He really gave those folds a good wash. Seriously though, the house looked clean and I won't call him lazy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, nokat said:

It's on again tonight, so I'll enjoy it tomorrow.

Just a wee lass. Your description makes me want to watch.

You might want to read the live chat while you watch. Like so many episodes this season, it was the best part.

1 hour ago, nokat said:

The Big Book of British Smiles from the Simpsons. 

lol...someone posted that in the live chat.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Mothra said:

Why, indeed, don't these folks and their caregivers take the situation seriously? 

this is the aspect of these episodes that I NEVER can understand.  

• Love 4

So, Simon: can't drive, covered in tats, dressed like a teenaged soccer fan, and (apparently) hasn't had sex in 10 years. I was actually wondering if they were really married; Simon was definitely not wearing a ring.

I've seen a few of those scooter drivers who insist on using roadway, but I admit I've never seen one out AT NIGHT. I thought the whole 'go to the gym' thing was ridiculous, but I guess if you're Shannon, you can't just call up an Uber.

Her extreme lack of mobility makes her extremely likely not to survive for long, especially since she's also not likely to lose any weight on her own. I wonder if Simon will start looking around for another super-obese woman to latch onto once his current meal ticket expires.

3 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Well here's something terrifying..... this woman is almost TWICE the size of Whitney

That bears repeating!🙂

• Love 6

When she was eating breakfast in the first segment, she had this creepy smile on her face (and it was pretty much the only expression I saw in 2 hours). 

Also just want to point out that my toddler has the same exact kitty headband as Shannon. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

When she was eating breakfast in the first segment, she had this creepy smile on her face (and it was pretty much the only expression I saw in 2 hours). 

Also just want to point out that my toddler has the same exact kitty headband as Shannon. 

She sat there expressionless for how long? Do her and Simon even converse? Then the food arrives and she smiles as you say.... creepy! 

• Love 7

The "breakfast" (the clock said 4:30 or something) was simply atrocious. Microwaved eggs (wtf), a pound of bacon, a mcmuffin, and a giant cinnabon. THEN HE GAVE HER TWO MATCHING PLATTERS!!!!  Jesus Christ.

I know that Covid messed up her return visit, but good lord she had gained a metric ton. I was rooting for her in the beginning, sounds like she's had a rough life, but she clearly didn't keep up the progress during Covid. I know we've "all" gained weight during lockdown (*raises hand*), but more like #20, not #100.

Also did the husband remind anyone else of Stefan Richter from Top Chef (minus the culinary skills)?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
27 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

She sat there expressionless for how long? Do her and Simon even converse? Then the food arrives and she smiles as you say.... creepy! 

Later at the hospital, Simon just stood silently by her bed, holding her hand, both with no expression while they gazed into each other’s eyes. Well, actually with her wonky eye she might have been staring at him, and somewhere else at the same time. 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 20
20 minutes ago, dahling said:

The new title of this show should be "A doctor tells fat people to lose weight."  

Subtitle: “But they have two hour’s worth of excuses why they don’t” 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Later at the hospital, Simon just stood silently by her bed, holding her hand, both with no expression while they gazed into each other’s eyes. Well, actually with her wonky eye she might have been staring at him, and somewhere else at the same time. 

I feel bad for laughing, but it's like with Amy on 1000-lb sisters. How do you look her in the eyes when you don't know which one is looking at you.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Well I'm all kinds of offended.... I have a kitty headband!! Of course I wore it for Halloween to give out candy but still 🤣

I'm assuming it looks cute and it's not sitting on 700 lbs.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I couldn't believe that breakfast of two platters of stacked cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon, and everything else.    That had to add up to 10,000 calories and I'm sure that was only a small part of her daily intake.    My guess is that if Simon, or anyone else refuses to get Shannon her demanded giant pile of greasy food, that they get the same screaming abuse that we saw in the van, after an entire hour of travel.   

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I couldn't believe that breakfast of two platters of stacked cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon, and everything else.    That had to add up to 10,000 calories and I'm sure that was only a small part of her daily intake.    My guess is that if Simon, or anyone else refuses to get Shannon her demanded giant pile of greasy food, that they get the same screaming abuse that we saw in the van, after an entire hour of travel.   

When I saw Simon carrying those two enormous plates of food, I thought Jeez, don't tell me he eats that much, too.  But they were both for Shannon.  Although he had a pretty hefty meal there, too.

Do we think that was a normal meal for her?  Even for the folks on this show, that was a hell of a big breakfast (or dinner, or whatever it was).  Did they bulk it up for the shock effect (it worked; I was shocked)?

If that's really the way she eats, losing weight should be easy.  Give her her regular food, but cut the servings in quarters--and even 1/4 of that meal would be huge.  Then let her scream.  In the car, Simon was stuck.  If she starts screaming at home about food, he can go walk around outside for a while.

I find Simon suspect in all kinds of ways, and if Shannon never loses weight, I'll hold him responsible because he has utter and complete control over what she can eat.   Of course, she is responsible for what she actually consumes, but clearly she can't control herself.  As care-giver, he has the job of *caring* for her, and that includes--right now, consists of--getting her weight down before she dies.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Mothra said:

When I saw Simon carrying those two enormous plates of food, I thought Jeez, don't tell me he eats that much, too.  But they were both for Shannon.  Although he had a pretty hefty meal there, too.

Do we think that was a normal meal for her?  Even for the folks on this show, that was a hell of a big breakfast (or dinner, or whatever it was).  Did they bulk it up for the shock effect (it worked; I was shocked)?

If that's really the way she eats, losing weight should be easy.  Give her her regular food, but cut the servings in quarters--and even 1/4 of that meal would be huge.  Then let her scream.  In the car, Simon was stuck.  If she starts screaming at home about food, he can go walk around outside for a while.

I find Simon suspect in all kinds of ways, and if Shannon never loses weight, I'll hold him responsible because he has utter and complete control over what she can eat.   Of course, she is responsible for what she actually consumes, but clearly she can't control herself.  As care-giver, he has the job of *caring* for her, and that includes--right now, consists of--getting her weight down before she dies.

When I saw him carrying those plates, I was thinking how does he stay so skinny. Both got set in front of Shannon and I realized. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

She wears her kitty kat headband to show that she is a fanciful, whimsical sprite! She should be skipping merrily through the wood, communing with the fey folk!

Simon's a feeder, got to be. She wants to lose some weight just so she can pack it right back on again.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't be the only one who saw those two platters and was hoping desperately that one of them was for Simon.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, magemaud said:

But he cooked in the air fryer! That makes it healthy, right? 

Are you going to make me admit to having an air fryer? You can use less fat unless you're cooking an entire package of bacon.

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

Are you going to make me admit to having an air fryer? You can use less fat unless you're cooking an entire package of bacon.

I have one too and yes it takes A LOT less oil to cook something, but bacon already has the fat on it, you aren't adding any more. 

• Love 1

Similar to the comments about the doors in Dr. Now's office but I've always been amazed how the chairs in his exam rooms can support that much weight.  I want chairs like that.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Anduril said:

Similar to the comments about the doors in Dr. Now's office but I've always been amazed how the chairs in his exam rooms can support that much weight.

I'm always amazed at the number of empty chairs in his waiting room! He could seat about 50 people if they were used. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I have one too and yes it takes A LOT less oil to cook something, but bacon already has the fat on it, you aren't adding any more. 

I like mine and yes, less oil is required. I like to make my own sweet potato and veggie fries. I toss with some olive oil and seasoning. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Well I'm all kinds of offended.... I have a kitty headband!! Of course I wore it for Halloween to give out candy but still 🤣

I have 3 myself and I’m older than Shannon, but my excuse, er...”reason” is, I teach rhetorical analysis using a graphic organizer called SPACE CAT and that’s the only time I wear them. My bf thinks it’s kinda hot. I’m also not a 700 lb hosebeast. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, edie3 said:

I can't understand why Dr Now's office doesn't have wider doors and some other type of scale for those who can't stand long or at all.

I’m re-watching because I paid more attention to the chat than the show last night, as usual. I missed the part where she can’t fit on the scale. WTH? Have we ever seen someone who actually was in the doctor’s office but could not FIT on the scale? You know, the BARIATRIC one? BTW I typed “scale” wrong the first time and it autocorrected to “eclair” 🤣 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, CringeWatcher said:

I’m also not a 700 lb hosebeast

I require you to send me approximately an ounce of lemonade that got spewed onto the computer. The keyboard is all sticky now.

Before anyone says it, it isn't because of "those" websites. Only lemonade. I am innocent!

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 6
(edited)

The waiting room is always empty lately, and when the poundticipants and entourage leave it's always dark.    I suspect that Dr. Now's filming is after the patient appointment hours end, to make filming easier, and to keep contagion down (regular flu is a bad issue for people with obesity, and the multiple other conditions the patients have).    ALso, if someone else is in the waiting room they either have to sign waivers or the producers have to blur their faces out.      I'm not sure they make single doors wider than the ones at Dr. Now's, unless you go to a double door.

Shannon's breakfast was amazing, but not in a good way.    I wonder how many drive thru places they went through to and from Houston?   I'm surprised the father agreed to rent the van and drive, since he obviously knew Shannon would never follow the program enough to get surgery.  Another patient who thinks you get surgery on the first visit, and can still magically lose weight, but eat everything you want.     I wonder why her husband Simon doesn't drive?    

The reason Shannon couldn't fit on the bariatric scale is because she lost weight in the hospital, but regained it quickly, and it all settled in the giant butt wings.    She was too wide to get through the wide doors at Dr. Now's, and the exam room, and couldn't squeeze through the front door either without getting out of the wheel chair.    

I suspect that an automatic door wouldn't survive very long, as soon as it tried to close on one of the poundticipants.   Where I used to work we had a double set, and they were very delicate. 

They sell metal frame, high weight capacity chairs for waiting rooms at office supply stores.   I bet a lot of people are buying them for home use too.  My previous doctor's office had the waiting room chairs like this, but she also had a bunch of 400 lbs patients, and though I'm overweight, I felt so tiny in her waiting room.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The waiting room is always empty lately, and when the poundticipants and entourage leave it's always dark.    I suspect that Dr. Now's filming is after the patient appointment hours end, to make filming easier, and to keep contagion down (regular flu is a bad issue for people with obesity, and the multiple other conditions the patients have).    ALso, if someone else is in the waiting room they either have to sign waivers or the producers have to blur their faces out.      I'm not sure they make single doors wider than the ones at Dr. Now's, unless you go to a double door.

They've always seemed to frequently have evening appointments, and only occasionally do you see other people in the waiting room (often blurred, or occasionally other people we've seen on the show). I'm guessing between needing space for the camera crew and protecting other patients' privacy, they do a lot of off-hours visits.

I'm assuming Dr. Now doesn't own the building; I wonder if the landlord won't let him put in an automatic door (which would be so much easier for anyone with a walker or wheelchair).

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, nokat said:

I require you to send me approximately an ounce of lemonade that got spewed onto the computer. The keyboard is all sticky now.

Before anyone says it, it isn't because of "those" websites. Only lemonade. I am innocent!

At this point I’d gladly give you my school computer. And please beat my ass while you’re at it. No permanent damage, just enough to make it look like a robbery and get me a week off 😊

• LOL 10