Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: It Takes A Village

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing on February 28, 2021:

McCall investigates a community activist’s staged suicide and uncovers a connection between his murder and his protests over local real estate development. Also, Delilah’s driving lessons lead McCall and Aunt Vi to teach her an even bigger lesson regarding personal accountability.

• Love 1

I must say, as the weeks/episodes progress, Queen Latifah seems to have relaxed nicely into her role. Do I buy her as a hardened former agent? Maybe not. But Robyn McCall exudes a sort of warmth that is necessary in her role as moral gatekeeper, so to speak.

I think she and Chris Noth also have a nice vibe together.

Speaking of which, while McCall and Bishop were watching the happenings on that big screen, it reminded me of when Mike Logan and Megan Wheeler watched Larry King interviewing a suspect of theirs in Times Square on Law & Order: Criminal Intent years ago. Noth/Logan/Bishop must have a thing for Jumbo screens.  🙂 

Not a bad episode, overall.

• Love 12
(edited)

I'm watching this and liking it, but I'm not really going to have much commentary. I did want to note that I do like the cat-and-mouse of Robin and NYPD Detective Guy, BUT... it's not so cat-and-mouse anymore, though. They're out here meeting face to face and working together; in this instance I wouldn't have minded them drawing things out some more. And now I'm a little worried, because if they're so chummy now, they're going to have to introduce something to make them enemies again (at least for a short while), right?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 7

I liked the message to her daughter, that you might lose sometimes, but don't get too depressed. I also think that if people start filling potholes, the media will take an interest and that always helps grease the wheels of government..

• Love 9
(edited)

Once again I couldn't understand the first 15-20 minutes of the episode, I am simply too dumb for this show.

Adam Goldberg finally said "Babe" to his "wife" ; this is the first "sign" of "affection" his character has shown her I think.

I loved Queen Latifah's green dress and she and Chris Noth especially dressed up look sooooooo good together.  

I love all the stuff with the detective too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)

I thought this was the weakest story. The tired real estate developer destroying the hood. And things just were too perfect for McCall like the gangsters just not naturally squeezing off shots at her when Melody fired but dropping.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

Let me get this straight, the server room doorway is hidden behind a portrait with a combination lock, but this top secret server room has a window. A window that is not even one way glass. The cameras in the office was clever, but that was just dumb. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

Let me get this straight, the server room doorway is hidden behind a portrait with a combination lock, but this top secret server room has a window. A window that is not even one way glass. The cameras in the office was clever, but that was just dumb. 

I thought everybody just left the door open (facing the window) when they got busted!

12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I must say, as the weeks/episodes progress, Queen Latifah seems to have relaxed nicely into her role. Do I buy her as a hardened former agent? Maybe not. But Robyn McCall exudes a sort of warmth that is necessary in her role as moral gatekeeper, so to speak.

I think she and Chris Noth also have a nice vibe together.

Speaking of which, while McCall and Bishop were watching the happenings on that big screen, it reminded me of when Mike Logan and Megan Wheeler watched Larry King interviewing a suspect of theirs in Times Square on Law & Order: Criminal Intent years ago. Noth/Logan/Bishop must have a thing for Jumbo screens.  🙂 

Not a bad episode, overall.

I will agree that the 5 equalizers have found their place fast, even if flirty Melody seems to be channeling Zoe on Firefly when she wanted to reward her husband Harry like Zoe did for  Wash. The extended McCall family seems to be added on because there has to be a family drama.

• Love 1
(edited)

Once again a good outing.  I agree it feels like the actors, the show, and the writing is starting to gel and relax a bit.  It seems like they had all these ideas in the first few eps they had to work out and figure out what fit and what didn't.  Where to punch up some things and where to tone down others.  So you can start to see the result of that on screen.

I am also liking that they are putting a bit more humor.  Harry and Melody singing bad boys, at first a little off beat but then they really got into it complete with shoulder action.  Also McCall telling that guy in the shower to put on some shower shoes, "tracking fungus all over the place.  That's just nasty."  Her delivery was perfect.  And it was so random.  LOL.

I am super shallow but whoever does Latifah's hair and make up are fab.  There was a camera shot of her outside talking on the phone and she had her face turned up a bit and she just looked friggin' gorgeous -- her face and hair.

I did like the voice over interspersed with the action scenes.  It gave the show a bit of a caper/con feel which is my catnip.  I adore caper/heist shows. 

And finally, another shallow alert, but Chris Noth was looking mighty dapper in his tux and his budding silver foxness.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 17

I am really enjoying this show, it really seems to be finding its groove. This episode was pretty much what I thought it would be just reading the description, but the way it was handled was well executed. The actors are all really settling in, and I continue to love Queen Latifah. She has a great warmth to her performance, but I also buy her as being a badass ass kicker. I also loved seeing more of her and Chris North, they both looked amazing at that party, and they have a really fun rapport. 

There are a lot of scenes that you kind of know will happen, but its still satisfying. I knew as soon as he was introduced that the bad guys well meaning but nervous son would turn on his dad and help the neighborhood, I knew the friend of the activist would take up his mantle, I knew that as soon as the bad guy started monologuing about his evil deeds that his son was broadcasting his confession, but I still found those all to be really satisfying beats, probably helped by strong performances by the main and guest cast, and while the set ups were obvious, the pay offs still felt earned. 

This show often feels like a caper show, which I enjoy a lot. You see what you think you saw them find out that there was something else going on entirely, its always a lot of fun. I also like that the show is adding in a bit more humor, like Robyn being disgusted by the guy at the gym not wearing shower shoes. Yeah I'm with her, that is just nasty. 

I am a bit surprised that Robyn and the cop are so chummy now, makes me nervous that he will end up getting taken out, or that something will happen to make him turn on her, probably being wrongly convinced that she did something really sketchy or finding out about the darker parts of her past. 

I even liked the daughter plot more this week. "I know what DM's are." 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am a bit surprised that Robyn and the cop are so chummy now, makes me nervous that he will end up getting taken out

McCall could solve his murder in a "shocking" cliffhanger....

• Love 1

Solid episode. Agree that McCall is starting to feel more like a real character. I also liked the story in this one too. Also nice to see Scott Cohen and Zach Appleman - two of my favorite Hey It's That Guys - as the rich father and son.

• Love 3

Predictable, but comfortable. I enjoy this show. Love Queen Latifah and Aunt Vi. Like the detective. I like Chris Noth. I like Harry and Melody -- just not as a couple. I don't feel any chemistry there at all. I can absolutely live without the moody teen.

It seems like they're building up to a relationship between the detective and Robyn. I don't know if I love that. I like the verbal sparring though.

• Love 8
(edited)

I liked this episode.  Liked the idea of the community pulling together and the dead guy’s friend continuing his work and assuming her role as the community leader.

Latifah continues to be excellent.  Loved her telling the gym guy about how nasty it was to not wear shower shoes (never mind that she’s a woman in the men’s locker room), loved her magic finger guns, loved her Nigerian accent.

I liked the three women together as well.  The daughter was nowhere near as annoying as in previous episodes.  And Lorraine Toussaint had a lot more lines this week.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

Loved her telling the gym guy about how nasty it was to not wear shower shoes...

That's a real thing? I wouldn't be caught dead in them, any more than I'd be caught SCUBA diving in a raincoat.

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

That's a real thing? I wouldn't be caught dead in them, any more than I'd be caught SCUBA diving in a raincoat.

Yes! I would NEVER NOT have on flip flops in a public shower.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Yes.   I cringe whenever I see guys walking around in the locker room with no shower shoes.  People walk in from outside and people go into the bathroom area in shoes, then proceed to track dirt and fecal matter all over the locker room.  

If you don’t wear shower shoes on your way to the shower, the chance of stepping in dirt, fecal matter and other substances is almost 100%.   Not to mention then entering the showers where the chances of stepping in someone’s urine and pubic hair is almost certainly 100%.  Whether they admit it or not, all guys pee in the shower.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, DearEvette said:

I am super shallow but whoever does Latifah's hair and make up are fab.  There was a camera shot of her outside talking on the phone and she had her face turned up a bit and she just looked friggin' gorgeous -- her face and hair.

LISTEN. I just caught up on the episodes, and this was a consistent thought for me.  And it makes me wish that all TV black actresses on their respective shows had a great team.  In a world where terrible lighting, wigs, and extensions are legion, I imagine Dana Owens was like, "Nope! Not on my watch." *cue Iyanla gif* 

On 3/1/2021 at 1:48 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

And Scott Cohen just admitting murder to his son?  I mean.  Has Scott Cohen ever not played an asshole that I hated?  LOL

*whispers* I liked him on Gilmore Girls way back in the day. That was...awhile ago. 

On 3/1/2021 at 1:45 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Adam Goldberg finally said "Babe" to his "wife" ; this is the first "sign" of "affection" his character has shown her I think.

He seems to show more affection and regard towards Robyn, but maybe that's just the Queen's charisma rubbing off on everyone.  I wonder if that's a script decision, or purely Goldberg. Harry and Mel interact more like siblings than spouses.   

• Love 5
On 3/1/2021 at 1:48 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

And Scott Cohen just admitting murder to his son?  I mean.  Has Scott Cohen ever not played an asshole that I hated?  LOL

I liked his character on Necessary Roughness.  

On 3/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, DearEvette said:

I was thinking the same thing- she is beautiful and this show has really outdone themselves to highlight just how much. 

• Love 3

I wonder in this #metoo era how fans would have felt if a man walked into a female shower and held that convo while making comments about body parts. just wondering......

• Love 1

Finally saw it and I agree, everyone seems to be getting into their parts. Love Latifah and Noth together, especially in their good clothes. Very Leverage/Mission: Impossible vibe in the second half. When Auntie was telling Moody Teen to do something, echoes of Shambala Green. I’m glad it got renewed. 

• Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

They're MARRIED???? Good lord, how did I make it four episodes in without realizing that? And here I am thinking, oh look how cute they're flirting with each other. I'm an idiot. 🙄

I really like this show. I was telling my friend that this show seems to be good for my soul. I like seeing someone taking up for the underdog, especially for no other reason than that it's the right thing to do.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, JenLily said:

They're MARRIED???? Good lord, how did I make it four episodes in without realizing that? And here I am thinking, oh look how cute they're flirting with each other. I'm an idiot.

Thank you!  It's not just me.

• LOL 2
On 3/30/2021 at 11:25 AM, JenLily said:
On 3/1/2021 at 1:45 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

They're MARRIED???? Good lord, how did I make it four episodes in without realizing that?

I think of him being a little autistic, kind of different emotional reactions and a computer genius. That's why it's not obvious that they're married.

In the opening episode, McCall says that she left the CIA when two of her friends were killed.  I'm guessing that it's Mel and Harry and McCall faked their deaths to help them get out.

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

In the opening episode, McCall says that she left the CIA when two of her friends were killed.  I'm guessing that it's Mel and Harry and McCall faked their deaths to help them get out.

I really don't think Harry was ever in the CIA, I think it is more likely he was hunted by the CIA and Robyn faked his death in exchange for him staying off the radar and never being on the wrong side of the law again.

• Useful 1