Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: First Date

• Start Topic

I actually laughed twice and both were Leslie Jordan's lines. The meteor on the awning and the mustache wax "We both knew how this was gonna go down." I love him, but I still cannot warm to the show. I'll finish out the season for completion, but I'm not optimistic about the show's chances for a second.

• Love 3

I hate physical comedy. Kat falling over the railing, the mustache wax, eating the soup, running into the waitress. It's all so telegraphed. The only thing they didn't do was have her hit heads with someone when she bent down/stood up after running into the waitress.

So Max is falling for Kat? Are we getting into a bad timing storyline? Puh-leaze. And Kat left out the part where she was thinking about Max because she'd just pictured him in bed.

New shoes on the table is supposed to be bad luck. It was driving me nuts, but it also reminded me of seeing Shaun and David Cassidy in "Blood Brothers" on Broadway, so that was nice. Shaun Cassidy was my first crush, and when I was around 8 I used to pretend I was married to him. lol. "New Shoes on the Table" was one of the songs in the show.

The performance at the end was fun, but if this show gets renewed I think it means FOX has given up. Thursday has to be a tough night, too, up against a lot of other sitcoms. I think if they wanted it to do better they'd put it on another day.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

I hate physical comedy. Kat falling over the railing, the mustache wax, eating the soup, running into the waitress. It's all so telegraphed. The only thing they didn't do was have her hit heads with someone when she bent down/stood up after running into the waitress.

So Max is falling for Kat? Are we getting into a bad timing storyline? Puh-leaze. And Kat left out the part where she was thinking about Max because she'd just pictured him in bed.

New shoes on the table is supposed to be bad luck. It was driving me nuts, but it also reminded me of seeing Shaun and David Cassidy in "Blood Brothers" on Broadway, so that was nice. Shaun Cassidy was my first crush, and when I was around 8 I used to pretend I was married to him. lol. "New Shoes on the Table" was one of the songs in the show.

The performance at the end was fun, but if this show gets renewed I think it means FOX has given up. Thursday has to be a tough night, too, up against a lot of other sitcoms. I think if they wanted it to do better they'd put it on another day.

The pratfalls are considered canon to the original source material, so Bialik is keeping it in the storyline.  Not my favorite either, but keeping it toned down is helping.  The original TV show had way more physical comedy. 

And I agree that the will-they-won't-they trope is totally played out.  But, again, seeing the original helped me realize where they are going with this Max and Kat storyline and I'm all for it.  We saw a little bit of Max's goofy side in this --breaking into song for no reason--and his sweet side--genuine desire to want to see Kat happy.  I also love Kat's straightforward style.

The only complaint I have is that Max & Kat do not harmonize well.  I think they are both decent singers, just not together. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Max is jealous because Kat has moved on and he feels a void now that she isn't around as much and he misses that non-intimate relationship they had. 

I know the writers are going for this (because we've seen it play out hundreds of times) but for now it still feels like telling rather than showing. I'm just not feeling a deep friendship bond between them yet, and I don't know if it's the writing, the actor chemistry, or what. I like both actors, so I hope this improves.

I think Kat and Oscar are a good match for now, and hope to see more of him. I found the onion storyline strangely endearing, especially the cute bits like Randi giving one as a gift to her boyfriend, and Kat's mom dipping an onion ring into her martini. And the way Phil kept hammering the point about the damaged awning made me chuckle.

Overall, I thought this was a fun episode. Just a light and fluffy way to spend 30 minutes, and I'm happy with that.

• Love 6

Kitty cat sighting! Look at that sweet fluffy fluff. This has been cat watch, and my weekly plea for more cats. 

I know that Max and Kat will end up together, but I actually get better friend chemistry from them. I guess we are heading towards the "she gets over him just as he starts liking her" thing. Kind of an inevitable turn for a Will They Wont They relationship, but it does give Max more to do. I like seeing more of his silly side. 

The pratfalls are not my favorite, but Mayim does that pretty well. Kind of a dull episode but with some bits that I like. I like this show best when it gets silly, like the fake French girlfriend and Kat hearing her mom singing a "if you buy the cow" song. It at least makes it stand out more from other sitcoms that I am still in the "waiting to see if it gets better" category. 

• Love 8

Overall, I do think this show has turned a corner from bad to passable with some good moments.  I don't know if it'll ever be great but even if it reaches Caroline In The City level (maybe not the greatest but good for some comfort viewing), it could be fun to have around for a few years.  

I agree that Leslie Jordan ripping off the moustache wax was predictable but the "we both knew how that was going to go" was not and a perfect line.  We all knew how it'd go but him acknowledging it made me laugh.  

I also liked that Oscar guessed what really caused her rash.

One mistake I think the show is going to have a harder time getting over if they want Max and Kat together (heck, even if they don't end up together but the show does the will they/won't they thing with them) is having Max shut down the idea of the two of them dating because he didn't see her this way.  

In the original, Gary and Miranda also had timing issues but the timing was never about interest.  The show focused more on her crush and feelings but the show never made it seem like had no interest and there were moments where it was obvious on his end as well that there was more there.  So even when they agreed to be friends or were just friends, we knew it was a choice more than "can't even conceive of the notion" thing.  

Having Max go from "I don't think of her that way" to having a dream where he does to this episode where he might be jealous or maybe, as Carter said, he's more concerned with not having her interested focused on him than actually jealous is just annoying. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Overall, I do think this show has turned a corner from bad to passable with some good moments.  I don't know if it'll ever be great but even if it reaches Caroline In The City level (maybe not the greatest but good for some comfort viewing), it could be fun to have around for a few years.  

I agree that Leslie Jordan ripping off the moustache wax was predictable but the "we both knew how that was going to go" was not and a perfect line.  We all knew how it'd go but him acknowledging it made me laugh.  

I also liked that Oscar guessed what really caused her rash.

One mistake I think the show is going to have a harder time getting over if they want Max and Kat together (heck, even if they don't end up together but the show does the will they/won't they thing with them) is having Max shut down the idea of the two of them dating because he didn't see her this way.  

In the original, Gary and Miranda also had timing issues but the timing was never about interest.  The show focused more on her crush and feelings but the show never made it seem like had no interest and there were moments where it was obvious on his end as well that there was more there.  So even when they agreed to be friends or were just friends, we knew it was a choice more than "can't even conceive of the notion" thing.  

Having Max go from "I don't think of her that way" to having a dream where he does to this episode where he might be jealous or maybe, as Carter said, he's more concerned with not having her interested focused on him than actually jealous is just annoying. 

After the disastrous 30 minutes that was the pilot and binging the entirety of Miranda, I've been watching Max in each episode.  I don't know what the writers are putting in Max's mouth, but the actor follows Kat with his eyes.  He's constantly watching her when she's not looking.  So while he might have freaked out and said "can't even conceive of the notion", it's not like he hasn't been paying attention. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

I still get a kick out of the imaginary French girlfriend. I hate everything else about the Max stuff.

I was also annoyed that Randi didn't just tell her bf about the shoes she bought for him, and why she didn't give them to him, after he gave her shoes. That thing of not communicating even when it would be easy and lead somewhere good is even stupider than when sitcom characters don't communicate because they are avoiding conflict.

But overall I actually like the show more than most people here. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, kirkola said:

I also love Kat's straightforward style.

It's one of the few things I am really liking to the point I'm looking at wornontv.com to see the brands.  She has a relaxed style that I like and wore a blouse I was eyeing a few months ago...and forgot to buy lol. 

I've been on and off on this show.  This was in the middle.  Not great but there was some moments I liked.  I did laugh when Leslie Jordan strutted in to Lizzo.  

• Love 3

I was a huge fan of Miranda. I believe Call Me Kat is trying to capture some of the original's sense of whimsy.  Sometimes it works (French ex-girlfriend, breaking the fourth wall, anything Leslie Jordan does or says, mustache wax) and sometimes it doesn't (the entire supporting cast except for Leslie Jordan).  Sitcoms often don't hit their stride until they're a few seasons in.  I hope CMK gets that chance.  I'm not going to attempt to speculate about cancellation.  Awful shows like Grey's Anatomy run for 57 years, while some of my favorites are lucky to get one season (My So-Called Life, Rise and Happy Endings).

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Well, i really enjoyed this episode, more so than the previous ones. I liked her dating the new guy and don't mind her infatuation with Max, but if they got rid of that i would be fine.  

At least it's better than that other one Call Your Mother.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I've never heard that about shoes, or the other one about giving them as gifts. I had a giggle with your Shaun Cassidy's crush, I also had a crush on him (and David) but I was a teenager when he was on Hardy Boys. Lol, you reminded me of when my cousin would come over for a visit when I was around 8 and her, my sister and myself would play house and argue over who was going to be our husbands. The choices were, Elvis, Davy Jones, and Bobby Sherman. 🙂 

I didn't hate this episode, my favorite part was Leslie pointing out the sag in the awning and the white kitty (can't remember the name) gave Kat a hug when she picked it up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Did you notice when Kat put the cat down, she gave it a little kiss?  I don't think it was scripted or done for the cameras.  It just seemed natural.  I love that the cats aren't just props. At least, maybe, for Mayim.

Like others, I don't like slapstick.  I think it was worse in Miranda.  Although, Kat knocking over trays is becoming a thing, and for some reason, I don't mind it.

I like Leslie Jordan, but I'm not as enamored of him as some other viewers. He's fine most of the time. 

I wouldn't have known the actor playing Max was gay if I hadn't read it here, so some people thinking it's so obvious and therefore hard to believe anything between Max and Kat ... Well, I guess that isn't an issue for me.

still enjoying the show.  Not everything clicks for me, but most of it does.  Even the non-tipping boyfriend wasn't obnoxious this episode... And I'd have dropped him in a heartbeat the first time he stiffed a waitress.

• Love 8

This episode seemed more gelled to me, like the show is finding its bearings.  I enjoyed and had a few laughs.  The slapstick came off as more natural, although I knew Kat was going to fall over the railing as soon as she pointed her smartphone/video camera out.  Her date with Oscar was cute.

More comments:

19 minutes ago, Johann said:

Did you notice when Kat put the cat down, she gave it a little kiss?  I don't think it was scripted or done for the cameras.  It just seemed natural.  I love that the cats aren't just props. At least, maybe, for Mayim.

Like others, I don't like slapstick.  I think it was worse in Miranda.  Although, Kat knocking over trays is becoming a thing, and for some reason, I don't mind it.

I like Leslie Jordan, but I'm not as enamored of him as some other viewers. He's fine most of the time. 

I wouldn't have known the actor playing Max was gay if I hadn't read it here, so some people thinking it's so obvious and therefore hard to believe anything between Max and Kat ... Well, I guess that isn't an issue for me.

still enjoying the show.  Not everything clicks for me, but most of it does.  Even the non-tipping boyfriend wasn't obnoxious this episode... And I'd have dropped him in a heartbeat the first time he stiffed a waitress.

Yes!  Kat kissed cat!

I didn't know Cheyenne from Adam let alone he is openly gay, but I never sensed any chemistry between him and Mayim.

I know this won't happen, but I think Max and Randi should run off together.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

This episode seemed more gelled to me, like the show is finding its bearings.  I enjoyed and had a few laughs.  The slapstick came off as more natural, although I knew Kat was going to fall over the railing as soon as she pointed her smartphone/video camera out.  Her date with Oscar was cute.

More comments:

Yes!  Kat kissed cat!

I didn't know Cheyenne from Adam let alone he is openly gay, but I never sensed any chemistry between him and Mayim.

I know this won't happen, but I think Max and Randi should run off together.

I don't know about chemistry between them - frankly, l never got the whole chemistry or not thing people talk about, I only notice if the acting is real bad.  I guess I'm not saying they have sexual chemistry right now, but I'm not ruling it out, either.  Friendship could turn into love.  Not sure if I want it to, I like their friendship, but, it could happen and be believable to me.

• Love 4
On 2/26/2021 at 11:04 AM, kirkola said:

The only complaint I have is that Max & Kat do not harmonize well.  I think they are both decent singers, just not together. 

I think it's because Cheyenne is a professional singer even though he tones it down a bit here, and Mayim goes for enthusiasm. Different levels don't really mesh (in my opinion). I don't mind it on a sitcom though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I think it's because Cheyenne is a professional singer even though he tones it down a bit here, and Mayim goes for enthusiasm. Different levels don't really mesh (in my opinion). I don't mind it on a sitcom though.

Yeah, I won't ever expect Max and Kat to sound like The Captain and Tennille.  It's kind of good fun with an A for Effort on this show.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

A problem that I am still having with this show is that there seems to be an assumption that Kat has to adapt to "new norms" instead of being true to who she is as a person.  In other words, the writing IMO is serious condescendingly ageist...When she goes on dates, she should set her own ground rules and keep them.  There is also an "everyone must think alike" tone that is beyond disturbing, a "new way of thinking as the only acceptable way of thinking" tone.  That is about as intolerant as it gets.

BTW, I am not a fan of the term "new norms".  New norms, has an awfully elitist, snobbish, tone.  

Are you talking about the sex talk in tonight's episode?  I don't think it was ageist.  I think it revealed that Kat had internalized sexist notions about sex from her mother--the whole cow and milk metaphor.  Notions that don't reflect well on men or women. 

In the end, Kat let go of the regressive reasons sex on the first date was off the table and embraced personal reasons why that wasn't an option for her.  But if she ever wanted to, that'd be okay too.  

I also think there's a benefit to understanding "new norms" and that inviting a man over to your apartment to watch a movie is the new "would you like to come up for coffee/a nightcap."  That doesn't mean it's a promise of sex or that Kat would need to go through with sex but dating can involve a lot of coded messages and euphemisms that is helpful to know if only to be on guard and think about what to do if the issue should come up.  

9 hours ago, Johann said:

I don't really see chemistry between them....yet but it has nothing to do with Cheyenne's sexuality.  I've seen gay actors have chemistry with opposite partners, straight actors have chemistry with same sex partners, bad actors with the ability to generate chemistry with a ridiculous amount of people and great actors unable to generate heat. Period.  

So I don't think I'll ever see wicked chem between them but sometimes things click into place with the actors or writing.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 2/26/2021 at 10:43 AM, icemiser69 said:

Along with the adorable cats, that was the best part of the episode.

Everything involving Kat's date has (for the most part) been done by other shows, and oh so much better.  Nothing new in this episode, just annoying.   That I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) song has been done on at least one other series as well.   They way it was being sung in this episode made my ears bleed. 

I was reminded of the show Zoey's Playlist when Kat and Phil were dancing to Juice since they recently featured that song, but then a minute later they had a character named Max singing 500 Miles, same as the Max on that show did. 

I guess the fact that Max had his spontaneous singing moment shows that he and Kat have more in common than it seems, but it would be refreshing if Kat just kept putting her crush behind her and seeing other people, because usually in real life someone who says they would never, ever date you is not going to change their mind. 

• Love 5

I get it. Me too.  I think she was in this episode.  When she invited Oscar to have sex, I do think she wanted to have sex with him---physically at least.  But ended up deciding not to because of her independent POV.  

Although sometimes, it's also a good idea to push yourself in ways that feel comfortable.  Like going out at night is a somewhat low stakes way for Kat to push herself to realize that nope---all nighters are not her thing. 

• Love 1

I loved this episode. It was my favorite. I also am coming around to Kat and Max now. I love how they are turning it around to Max starting to see how great Kat is--and I do think she is, a positive, self-sufficient, well-rounded, intelligent yet goofy woman who loves cats--and that maybe there could be something there. Meanwhile Kat is genuinely trying ot move on. She is honest and open in her friendships and relationships.

I also like how Randy is beginning to feel like a real person, and the friendships with the whole group are gelling nicely 

Finally the whole Lizzo "Juice" pulling the mustache scene off with Kat and Phil was great. Of course, any scene with Phil us great. Leslie Jordan is a gem.

• Love 5

This is the week I think the writers and Mayim have both found out what makes Kat tick. A warm, caring person that marches  to the beat of her own drummer.  And she's been a caring friend to her co workers and Max.

And I like Kat with Oscar

• Love 9
On 2/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, Kiddvideo said:

Shaun Cassidy was my first crush, and when I was around 8 I used to pretend I was married to him. lol. 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I've never heard that about shoes, or the other one about giving them as gifts. I had a giggle with your Shaun Cassidy's crush, I also had a crush on him (and David) but I was a teenager when he was on Hardy Boys. 

Hands off of Shaun you hussies! He’s mine!! (and yes, I realize it’s been 40 years lol)

On 2/27/2021 at 7:46 PM, Snow Apple said:

I think it's because Cheyenne is a professional singer even though he tones it down a bit here

I just binge-watched “The Morning Show” and was amazed to hear his beautiful singing voice at Alex Levy’s fundraiser. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Cheyanne is also in "Julie and the Phantoms" which is such a wonderful little show. He has two musical numbers and they're awesome. Not just the singing but there's choreography and it's such a production. That was my first time hearing him sing and I was so impressed. I like that he also gets a chance to sing on this show as well. 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, Toothbrush said:

Hands off of Shaun you hussies! He’s mine!! (and yes, I realize it’s been 40 years lol)

I just binge-watched “The Morning Show” and was amazed to hear his beautiful singing voice at Alex Levy’s fundraiser. 

Cheyenne was also on Broadway in Finian's Rainbow performing, with Kate Baldwin, one of my favorites, That Old Devil Moon.  Silky smooth!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

There was a line reading Mayim gave in this episode, I think it was the word "warm" (in response to how Oscar makes Kat feel) that felt very Amy Farrah Fowler to me and had the exact same charm. I'd like to see Kat be a little more deadpan, which is very in Mayim's wheelhouse.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:01 AM, icemiser69 said:

I thought this was predictable from the start.  I posted a bit about it in another episode thread.  Max is jealous there is no doubt about that.  Max is jealous because Kat has moved on and he feels a void now that she isn't around as much and he misses that non-intimate relationship they had.  It has to be a blow to his ego that Kat has moved on, and he is no longer the center of her world.  He misses that,  Whether there is more too it than that, we'll have to wait and see what the writers do with it.   There is a huge difference between "I want you in my life", and "I want you intimately (sexually) in my life".  Kat wants the intimate/sexual part.  Max doesn't want that.  Only time will tell if Max has second thoughts about that.

Yeah, I'm still not getting the feeling that Max is actually into Kat romantically. But he does like both the time they spend hanging out as friends and having her attention focused on him, and her situation with Oscar is a threat to both. I imagine he's surprised at having discovered just how big a factor to his self-esteem Kat's doting was.

Kat and Oscar are great together though, so I hope the show keeps their romance going well for a good while.

• Love 3