Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Michael's Story

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, but we watched the episode and he went out multiple times with no panic attacks, and when we saw him leave the house or discuss upcoming or past excursions, there was no mention of a concern about panic attacks...which given how this show likes drama, you'd think would be included for broadcast if it had occurred.

Plus, he said early in the episode that he could not even walk outside his front door and that's why he had been trapped in his house.  We then found out that was completely untrue.  

I think that once he specified that he suffered from agoraphobia, there wasn't much point in talking about his panic attacks, which essentially are what agoraphobia is.

Remember when they went to that crystal shop, how he didn't stick around after he'd picked out what he wanted?  I think what we were seeing there was his anxiety about a panic attack.

Of course, you (and others) may be right, and he may be just faking this disorder, which to my mind would indicate an even more serious emotional issue--some kind of Munchhausen's, maybe.

I personally don't seen any benefit to him to be pretending to be agoraphobic.

The agoraphobia gives him an excuse to stay home, and not even try to get a job.    I bet it gets him out of anything he doesn't want to do.  I don't see anyone bullying him, but the other way around makes a lot of sense. 

With all of his time at home, he could have completed a couple of advanced degrees.    However, I don't know if the wife works outside the home.   So, if both of them were going to jobs, then they would need childcare, since I imagine at least one of the sons, or both of them, have issues where they can't stay alone.        

I wonder why his hair was so patchy?    Some on the back left side looked like his head had been shaved, and it was growing in.   I wonder if that was for a role playing event?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The agoraphobia gives him an excuse to stay home, and not even try to get a job.    I bet it gets him out of anything he doesn't want to do.

"Excuse" is the key word for a lot of these folks.  Rather than dealing with issues, they hide behind them and use them as an excuse for avoiding anything they don't want to do.

We're watching "Hoarding:  Buried Alive" this afternoon.  One of the women says she started hoarding after her husband, next-door neighbor and grandson all died within 6 months of each other.  I turned to Mr. AZC and said, "Well, apparently she chose to use that as an excuse for hoarding . . . because she doesn't weigh 600 pounds."

I don't mean to sound cold and uncaring (I'm actually a pretty nice person).  But EVERYONE has had crises to deal with.  To use these crises as an excuse to add to existing poor choices is really not helping them or anyone.  How many 600-pounders say, "I was always a big child because my grandma fed me a lot," but then use childhood molestation or parents' divorces as a reason for now weighing 600 pounds.

I recognize these people have mental health issues.  I just genuinely do not understand why THEY don't understand that making themselves immobile is creating another problem . . . not a solution.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

My armchair diagnosis is potential Social Anxiety Disorder (which is more linked to having other people around).  My secondary diagnosis is too much consulting with Dr. Google and using big words because you think it impresses people.

Yes, Dr. AzChristian. My diagnosis is the same but in reverse order. The smartest guy is the room attitude is off-putting especially when it comes from someone who misses out on real life on a daily basis. He has no one to call him out on his crap because his wife certainly isn’t going to do it.

• Love 6

Welp, another non-success story full of dramatic lines: "This is my ONLY chance to have the life I want;" "I'll do ANYTHING to get the surgery;" blah blah.  And don't they know that Dr. Now is not going to approve surgery at the first visit, ever??

I disagree with those who say the wife was Suzy Sunshine.  She came across to me as smothering, enabling and absolutely oppressive.  If anything, she reinforced his assertion that he was helpless without her, afraid of everything, and capable of nothing.  She never stopped touching and stroking him, looking into his eyes with excess concern as if he was going to drop dead any second, and murmuring "it's ok; are you ok?... you need a minute?"  If someone did that to me (with the exception of maybe the few minutes after I broke a major bone or had a stroke) I'd be batting them away saying "STOP!!! BACK OFF!!!" I was watching her carefully at the "burn the food" event and she looked so somber.  I'd be like, "finally, honey! You aren't going to eat that gallon bucket of spaghetti... progress!"

I wondered about the kids too.  He wasn't traveling hours away, it was 45 minutes. And they are at the youngest preteens.  So maybe there were some developmental or emotional issues with them.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I disagree with those who say the wife was Suzy Sunshine.  She came across to me as smothering, enabling and absolutely oppressive.  If anything, she reinforced his assertion that he was helpless without her, afraid of everything, and capable of nothing.  She never stopped touching and stroking him, looking into his eyes with excess concern as if he was going to drop dead any second, and murmuring "it's ok; are you ok?... you need a minute?"  If someone did that to me (with the exception of maybe the few minutes after I broke a major bone or had a stroke) I'd be batting them away saying "STOP!!! BACK OFF!!!" 

Totally agree! As overly dramatic as he was about everything (was he auditioning for an over-the-top drama?) she was even worse. It’s like her goal in life is to keep him dependent on her which reminded me of Sean’s mother.

• Love 4
On 2/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, KateHearts said:

I disagree with those who say the wife was Suzy Sunshine.  She came across to me as smothering, enabling and absolutely oppressive. 

100%.  I just watched this episode last night, and both Michael and his Velcro Wife had me nuts before the first commercial wife.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, KateHearts said:

She never stopped touching and stroking him, looking into his eyes with excess concern as if he was going to drop dead any second, and murmuring "it's ok; are you ok?... you need a minute?" 

Once, when Michael was driving and Velcro was being annoying and clingy, nattering on about how special he was, how strong he was, how proud she was of him, he finally (gently) brushed her arm off his shoulder.  She asked, "Do you need me to be quiet now?"  He said yes, and she kept on nattering!  I'd have stopped the car and told her to shut up and get the hell out.

IMHO, she felt superior to him because she had the surgery while he couldn't - even though his inability to do so was because of an accident.   And she served him a humungous plate of spaghetti with entire serving plates of garlic bread and sausages, while she nibbled her tiny bowl of pasta.  "Oh gee, honey, look how easy it is to eat a rational size portion while you're eating enough to serve half of Texas."  There was a lot of arrogance and superiority in her speech and behavior.

And here's a general question about 95% of the episodes ever aired.  For the poundticipants who are able to walk to a chair or couch to be served, why can't they walk to a table to be served?

• Love 6
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Lostinthehouse said:

why can't they walk to a table to be served?

I would rephrase to 'why can't they go and serve themselves at the table'.  While I totally get it's easier when one person is dishing it out for everyone, if portion size is an issue, everyone should serve themselves then they have no one but themselves to blame.  Though when 99% of them actually want someone else to blame and 98% of them wouldn't know an appropriate portion size if it smacked them across the face, it would fail anyway...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 6
On 2/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, ethalfrida said:

It’s so irritating when the spouse tries to take over the show and become the patient, victim, star, etc. His wife had me saying, out loud, “Dr. Now is not talking to you”.

And all the touching and hanging onto each other !  God get a room lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Lostinthehouse said:

100%.  I just watched this episode last night, and both Michael and his Velcro Wife had me nuts before the first commercial wife.

Once, when Michael was driving and Velcro was being annoying and clingy, nattering on about how special he was, how strong he was, how proud she was of him, he finally (gently) brushed her arm off his shoulder.  She asked, "Do you need me to be quiet now?"  He said yes, and she kept on nattering!  I'd have stopped the car and told her to shut up and get the hell out.

IMHO, she felt superior to him because she had the surgery while he couldn't - even though his inability to do so was because of an accident.   And she served him a humungous plate of spaghetti with entire serving plates of garlic bread and sausages, while she nibbled her tiny bowl of pasta.  "Oh gee, honey, look how easy it is to eat a rational size portion while you're eating enough to serve half of Texas."  There was a lot of arrogance and superiority in her speech and behavior.

And here's a general question about 95% of the episodes ever aired.  For the poundticipants who are able to walk to a chair or couch to be served, why can't they walk to a table to be served?

These two had me screaming at the  TV. He is a total  Eeyore,  and she made me think of an elementary school teacher who works with challenged children, because that's how she treated him.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Hellga said:

I would rephrase to 'why can't they go and serve themselves at the table'. 

And I would refine even further to ask 'why don't any of them have a dining room/kitchen table?

• Love 6
On 3/2/2021 at 3:22 PM, stacyasp said:

And all the touching and hanging onto each other !  God get a room lol

Get the room that Nicole the Juggalo had with the rolling bed.  That is still one of my favorite moments EVER on this show.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Just watching the episode now.  I miss my snark chat but I get up at 345am every day to feed my gym addiction.  I'm in bed by 730pm.  Yeah I know....my life is pretty boring.  The wife reminds me of Kathy Bates in "Misery".  She treats him like a 5-year old.  And what's with the burning of food?  If it is not open how about helping a neighbor and donating to a food bank or the local church.  The Accountant in me will remind you it is tax deductible.

• Love 2
On 2/26/2021 at 4:25 PM, Emma C said:

Am i the only one rooting for this guy?

He was exposed to a pedo, then spent years being bullied, then got his confidence back from years of martial arts training. Met a cool lady, had a baby. Was about to have WLS but then lost his spleen after a bad car accident, making WLS not possible. He self-admits that his eating is his own problem (as opposed to others we have seen that just play victim). Michael seems to own his shit.

And while I'm not an expert in the field of agoraphobia, I have to imagine there are levels of severity, as with all mental issues.

Me!

I liked him.  I felt terrible for him with all he's gone through and was disappointed there wasn't WLS or an update on him.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

Me!

I liked him.  I felt terrible for him with all he's gone through and was disappointed there wasn't WLS or an update on him.

I felt bad for him, but I had to agree with Dr Paradise. When Michael said that weekend with the pedo scoutmaster put him in a cage and Paradise raised his eyebrows and asked if he was still in a cage now. Writing a letter to the dead scoutmaster 33 years later was an attempt to allow Michael to exit the cage he dwelled in.

• Love 3

Why in the world would the neighbors be going with her to Houston?  Are they all going into the examination room with her?

I don’t even want to think about the bathroom situation for this trip. 

(edited)

They're showing the Supersized edition of Michael's story from 7 to 9 p.m. Central tonight (4 March).   It's on now. 

However, for some bizarre reason, my regular TLC channel 46 has no sound, but the HD channel for TLC is normal, and has the sound. 

Saturday they're showing reruns of 1,000 Sisters, instead of the Supersized.   (The cable guides are so strange lately, I guess some networks don't keep with what they originally announced.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

watched part of this again as it re-ran.  I have a different opinion of the wife.  At first she really annoyed me, but I guess she is nice enough.  She seems to really care for him.  I do not understand the constant need to touch him and stare at him...I think she must have an interesting background story as well.   Another thing I realized while rewatching was that of course he doesn't have agoraphobia (at least not based on his childhood experience of sexual abuse) because he was popular in high school, went to college, had jobs and devoted himself to martial arts!  He just got to the point where he couldn't stand people staring at him for his size.  I can't say I would be any different, but he shouldn't kid himself...it's not agoraphobia.  

• Love 4
On 2/25/2021 at 12:13 PM, ethalfrida said:

It’s so irritating when the spouse tries to take over the show and become the patient, victim, star, etc. His wife had me saying, out loud, “Dr. Now is not talking to you”.

She did that with Dr. Paradise too. I wish he had asked her to stay in the waiting room. I'm sure Michael would have been fine. He doesn't seem to have a problem speaking with people or expressing himself. At all.

• Love 7
On 3/3/2021 at 1:37 PM, FormeryHeavyJ said:

Get the room that Nicole the Juggalo had with the rolling bed.  That is still one of my favorite moments EVER on this show.

Think of the damage to the walls.  They would be rubble with these two rolling around on a moving bed. 🙂 

• LOL 1

That was some serious codependency going on. And wow, the dramatics!

For me, neither were overtly unlikeable or shitty people, but I tend to run the opposite direction when I encounter theatrics and drama in people like this. I view it as a clear sign of emotional immaturity, insecurity and desperation to be heard & listened to. I get why adults could develop into that, but it's entirely too irritating trying to placate and nurture someone like that.

She loves him and seems sweet, but why in the hell does he need someone to go into his therapy session with him? Codependent drama. No thanks. 

I wish them both well and hope they can get over their emotional issues. 

• Love 4
On 3/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, Colleenna said:

These two had me screaming at the  TV. He is a total  Eeyore,  and she made me think of an elementary school teacher who works with challenged children, because that's how she treated him.

Ding Ding Ding! They live in my town and that's exactly what she does.

Sorry, I know this is old but I just got Discovery Plus and I'm finally getting to watch season 9 lol

• Love 2
(edited)

They're showing this ridiculous episode on TLC today.    Kim and Michael don't have a grownup relationship, she's his mommy and teacher to his little kid who can't do anything persona.   Kim obviously needs to be needed, and Michael wants to do nothing, and have everyone cater to him.  

He's a total fake.    I haven't seen as much bad acting since the highlight reel of the World Cup flopping fakes.      There is no way he has agoraphobia.    Everything he does is all about the drama, and getting attention.     When he had to go without the wife to an appointment, he marched right to his car, drove there, and didn't have any issues doing that.     

Michael certainly has an excuse for every occasion.    Dr. Now certainly wasn't fooled by Michael and his excuses.   Michael is another poundticipant who seems to think the diet will only be needed until the magic surgery happens.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1