Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Jinx

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 believes their fabled firehouse superstition has come true when they have the day from hell with a never-ending series of bizarre emergency calls. Athena is in hot pursuit of a 118 firetruck; a man who duct-taped himself to freeway billboard, a garage full of fireworks and a restaurant manager destroying his own business. Meanwhile, Eddie feels a spark with Christopher's former teacher, but admits to Bobby he may not be ready to move on in his personal life just yet.

Airdate: 02/22/2021

Ok that was a fun episode.  I loved it.  There were so many different, wacky rescues but my favorite was the helium rescue.  And I loved their convo as they were trapped in their truck.  Man, their luck sucked.  LOL.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 17

I felt both sad for that mac and cheese being ruined and mad, lol. First off, cover it with some aluminum foil so it doesn't burn and dry out. Second, turn off the damn oven before you start a fire in your own firehouse, sheesh. 

The live wire over the firetruck was fun. We once had a live wire come down right in front of the physio place I was working at. It was exciting. Took awhile for the city to shut down the power so a cop was there to make sure people stayed away from it, myself included. It's the little things, lol. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

That was fun. Lots of wacky calls, no heavy, serious stuff.

1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

I felt both sad for that mac and cheese being ruined and mad, lol. First off, cover it with some aluminum foil so it doesn't burn and dry out. Second, turn off the damn oven before you start a fire in your own firehouse, sheesh.

I thought the same thing - I could see putting it back in the oven to keep warm, but not with it turned on. That was just asking for trouble. You would think firefighters would know better!

• Love 10

This is the kind of episode I like, interesting and wacky rescues low on the ick factor with very little personal drama.  That look Chim gave that idiot clown -daggers-  I do wish the other clown had done more than just roll her eyes.  I think my favorite scene was the talk in the station where all the “medical, baby, whatever Buck was reading” got dropped in favor of what was going on with Eddie.  It had a nice sibling vibe.  The talk while they were trapped in the engine was good too and of course the other station is going to take photos.  They would have if the situation was reversed.

TIL not to put ice on a burn.

Does anyone know what the song was at the end playing in the background with Eddie and the teacher/VP?

Not really looking forward to a “Rear Window” type story next week.

• Love 5

This is the kind of episode I like, interesting and wacky rescues low on the ick factor with very little personal drama.

Agreed. I really enjoyed the montage of all the crazy calls they got that day. And I didn't miss Maddie at all. I suppose they need a strong 911 anchor to justify the name of this show but this episode really made me realize how little I cared about Maddie.

Watching this back to back with Lone Star also makes me appreciate this one better. It's still superior to the spin-off; the characters are just more fun and more compelling.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I didn't understand that at all! Turn off the oven, cover the mac and cheese with foil and leave it on the counter or in the fridge, and then heat it back up, still covered, when things are calmer - they could even heat it up the following shift. What fire fighters leave food in the turned-on oven and then leave the house? (It looked delicious.)

As someone who is grieving, I really liked the talk Bobby had with Eddie about moving on from loss, how the loss stays with you but you can, and should, still find ways to be happy.

I know I wasn't supposed to but I fell out when the restaurant worker (LARRY!) threw the chair through the window. It was so unexpected that it made me laugh.

I agree with Buck - the way he used the q-word shouldn't have caused a jinx.

• Love 12

After two dramatic episodes, I am glad that we got a lighter fun episode. Loved the whole sequences of them rescuing people from often ridiculous situation scored to Queen, culminating in them finally getting stuck in their own truck. Their whole conversation in the truck was hilarious, is it a jinx or curse? Is this a hex put on them, or are they being messed with by the universe in general? "I'm looking up how to appease the gods." 

This episode was mostly heavy on the wacky, which I always really enjoy, but we also got a really nice talk between Bobby and Eddie about grief. That was a really nice scene, that even though grief never goes away its alright to try and be happy again. 

• Love 13

It was fun hijinks episode. Though the one thing in the montage that made me squemish was the guy getting his phone under the cinema recliner. I remember when that happened here in UK, the guy did not survive it and after they added a warning before start of films, that if you drop your phone down seat to fetch a staff member.

These actors have gelled so well together, really do feel the family vibes. I liked callback to fire marshal Buck and his clipboard, I'm all for Buck 3.0.

• Love 1

As someone who is grieving, I really liked the talk Bobby had with Eddie about moving on from loss, how the loss stays with you but you can, and should, still find ways to be happy.

I can't even remember what happened to Eddie's . . . wife? Christopher's mother, right? Weren't they about to get back together, or else they did, and then she died? Is that it? What did she die of?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I can't even remember what happened to Eddie's . . . wife? Christopher's mother, right? Weren't they about to get back together, or else they did, and then she died? Is that it? What did she die of?

It was Eddie's wife/Christopher's mother. Eddie was deployed for the first couple of years of Christopher's life, which strained their marriage. She left (I think she just disappeared for a few years) when he came back but I don't think they divorced. She popped up again, they eventually got back together, and then some time later she told him she wanted a divorce after all, and right after that she got hit by a car and died.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The scene between Bobby and Eddie was well done, and I know I should feel bad for Eddie.  Then I remember how Ryan Guzman and the actress playing his wife had terrible chemistry, and I can't get there. I'm happy he's moving on with Ana, even if it's not forever.  Because the actors definitely have chemistry. 

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Watching this back to back with Lone Star also makes me appreciate this one better. It's still superior to the spin-off; the characters are just more fun and more compelling.

The cast makes all the difference, and this one gels very well, always has. And this type of fun episode really highlighted how well they play off each other. Oliver Stark and Kenneth Choi in particular have great comedic timing. 

My favorite scene was Buck stuck in the fire suppression chamber, or whatever that was.  2nd place to Chim and Hen's befuddlement coming out of the burger joint with a bunch of food, only to discover the firetruck was stolen.  There were lots of fun moments in this one.   

• Love 15

This was a fun episode with a lot of really strong ensemble scenes. I had fun with the montage of all the calls they went on. I think, after the last few episodes being more heavy in terms of the story, it was nice to have a strictly fun and light hearted episode.

Even with the emotional moments, such as Bobby talking to Eddie about loss and moving on. Which, by the way, was a good scene. Not that I'm really feeling Eddie and his new love interest, but I liked the message that was being sent. And it was good to see Bobby talk more about the family that he lost.

I also liked the plot with the Faux Fire Chief and how Eddie connected with him.

And I liked seeing Josh with the other 9-1-1 operator in their own little subplot. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

This was a fun episode with a lot of really strong ensemble scenes. I had fun with the montage of all the calls they went on. I think, after the last few episodes being more heavy in terms of the story, it was nice to have a strictly fun and light hearted episode.

Even with the emotional moments, such as Bobby talking to Eddie about loss and moving on. Which, by the way, was a good scene. Not that I'm really feeling Eddie and his new love interest, but I liked the message that was being sent. And it was good to see Bobby talk more about the family that he lost.

I also liked the plot with the Faux Fire Chief and how Eddie connected with him.

And I liked seeing Josh with the other 9-1-1 operator in their own little subplot. 

Is Josh the 911 supervisor’s name? He’s one of my favorite characters on the show, even though he’s just recurring, I guess.

i really enjoyed this episode too. We needed some light-hearted (for this show, anyway) fun. I actually laughed out loud at the scene when the live wire had them trapped in the truck.

I say light-hearted because for awhile the show was really starting to feel like a weekly disaster movie. Back in the 70s/80s, the disaster movie genre was huge, with titles like Earthquake, Hurricane, The Towering Inferno, and often starring Charlton Heston, if I recall.

This show was recalling those movies for me, so I was glad to have an episode I could smile about, if only for a little bit🙂

• Love 6
18 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

My favorite scene was Buck stuck in the fire suppression chamber, or whatever that was.  2nd place to Chim and Hen's befuddlement coming out of the burger joint with a bunch of food, only to discover the firetruck was stolen. 

I love that little throwaway because Chim and Hen took the initiative to get food.  Something they had been denied all day.  The spectre of that burnt mac & cheese probably still haunted them.  Man, that Mac & Cheese looked good before it burnt.

• Love 4
On 2/25/2021 at 2:32 AM, preeya said:

Am I the only person who hated 99% of this episode?

Absolutely agree with you 100%. It was schmaltzy, REALLY badly written and similarly badly acted. I don't think I've ever seen Angela Bassett over act. This week was a first. Just horrible all around.

(edited)

To each his own, I guess. I loved the episode.  Aside from the heart-to-heart talk between Eddie and Bobby (very well done, btw), it was a lighter, humorous episode.  It put a huge smile on my face.  Plus, they used a Queen track and you can never go wrong with Queen. 

Edited by rove4
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

To each his own, I guess. I loved the episode.  Aside from the heart-to-heart talk between Eddie and Bobby (very well done, btw), it was lighter, humorous episode.  It put a huge smile on my face.  Plus, they used a Queen track and you can never go wrong with Queen. 

All very true! I loved this one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rove4 said:

To each his own, I guess. I loved the episode.  Aside from the heart-to-heart talk between Eddie and Bobby (very well done, btw), it was lighter, humorous episode.  It put a huge smile on my face.  Plus, they used a Queen track and you can never go wrong with Queen. 

Totally agreed.  Also this is probably completely blasphemous, but every time I hear that particular Queen song I immediately associate it with Paul Rudd lip-syncing it on Jimmy Fallon. (I also heartily recommend the video of him lip syncing Tina Turner)

• LOL 6
On 2/23/2021 at 6:43 PM, Empress1 said:

It was Eddie's wife/Christopher's mother. Eddie was deployed for the first couple of years of Christopher's life, which strained their marriage. She left (I think she just disappeared for a few years) when he came back but I don't think they divorced. She popped up again, they eventually got back together, and then some time later she told him she wanted a divorce after all, and right after that she got hit by a car and died.

Part of it was also that her mother was dying and she needed to go and be with her mom during that time, and Eddie was not taking that problem seriously at all. But then she never came back (until very recently when Eddie needed her to show up so Christopher could have his parent interview for a new school.

I have an issue with how these types of shows glorify single dads and villify "bad mothers" on a frequent basis, so I was sympathetic to her and thought Eddie was a horrible father and husband before she left-- don't know why he would magically become a good one all of a sudden, even though I do enjoy seeing him be one. But I also found her boring and kind of lifeless as a character, even if her actual story had potential, so I don't think I'll miss her.

• Love 6

I’m just catching up on episodes, but did anyone see the Blue Lives Matter flag on the back of the fire truck? You see it for a split-second in the scene right after Buck tries to drink straight from the coffee pot. Wondering if that’s always been there...

Late to the party here; I'm catching up after taking most of the past year to concentrate on a major work project. I loved this episode. Although I've never worked as a first responder I have a lot of personal connections in PD and FD (and tangentially in EMS). The aura surrounding the Q Word is very, very real. And taboo in any firehouse I've visited.

I ended up in the Emergency Department as a patient for an evening earlier this year (false alarm, thankfully). The department was very...not-busy, and as the nurse was giving me an IV I said to her "careful with that stick or I'll say the Q word very loudly." The. Look. She. Gave. Me. Was. Priceless. 

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • LOL 3

Rewatching the show in time for the newest season and some of my favorite episodes are when it embraces the ridiculous chaos without doing the two or three episode story arc.   Jinx is one of those episodes.   Some redshirt probie says the "Q" word which brings about the day from hell for the 118 but of course throughout they gossip about Eddie's love life....because of course they do.    Yes of course it was silly.   It was supposed to be.  Not every episode needs to be some big melodrama.   Sometime it is just fun to watch the 118 walk into wacky situations.  

• Love 2