Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: S’Mores and a Sadness Cocoon

jewel21

So much to say about this one....I liked that the show acknowledged that this is not the first time Adam made a big ticket purchase without consulting Bonnie. It's not really okay...however, the situation did lead to some good lines, like the one about escaping to the environment while also destroying it.

And oh, poor Jill. Her reaction is completely understandable. The show made a point of showing that the members of the group are not good with change, like when the menu of the café changed and they could not handle it. Dentists are scary enough, imagine a good one ditching you like that. It was cute when she asked if she could travel with him and his wife. The final scene was very cute when she was so excited to go back and see him again  ❤️  .

• Love 6

I wasn’t broken up when Anna Farris left because she was my least favorite character, but something about this season is just off( and it’s my favorite show, should have more Emmys ).  I feel the women are actually mean to each other, and not in the loving way they gave each other a hard time before.  The chemistry between them has always been so great but now  they don’t seem to like each other very much.

As the wife of a recently retired dentist, I did enjoy Jill’s story.  ( and it does ring true) 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

And oh, poor Jill. Her reaction is completely understandable. The show made a point of showing that the members of the group are not good with change, like when the menu of the café changed and they could not handle it. Dentists are scary enough, imagine a good one ditching you like that. It was cute when she asked if she could travel with him and his wife. The final scene was very cute when she was so excited to go back and see him again  ❤️  .

Finding a dentist you love would be miraculous; I understand why she was upset. (And she has beautiful teeth!)

I liked the RV story too. Bonnie SHOULD be upset, but I liked how Adam eventually apologized - a good apology too - and Bonnie forgave him. After making him suffer a bit, but he deserved it! I wonder if Bonnie and "the gang" will be taking any RV trips in future episodes.

• Love 6

I related a bit to the RV topic because my parents had a camper on a pickup truck when I was little and we used it a lot, to go visit family and to go to our new homes since my dad was in the military and we moved several times. It was not as nice as the one Adam bought though. Adam clearly has some issues with buying stuff on the spur of the moment, but Bonnie is a recovered alcoholic, so I guess they are both messed up

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

I wasn’t broken up when Anna Farris left because she was my least favorite character, but something about this season is just off

Yep. The writers had obviously been struggling to figure out what to do with her for awhile as the canvas got increasingly crowded with bigger, more colorful characters, but her absence is becoming more and more glaring. She served as a much needed check on Bonnie's inflated to the point of sometimes grandiose sense of self. The other women, or at least Marjorie, may give her occasional pushback, but for the most part they all uncritically roll along with whatever shenanigans Bonnie's up to. The continual emphasis on Bonnie and Jill in every episode really highlight it.

I've got almost nothing on this one beyond thinking everyone was toeing dangerously close to being ridiculous to the point of unlikable. I get being resistant to change (We're an autism household, so boy, do I ever.), but Jill was all but throwing a full-out tantrum like a 5-year-old at the receptionist's desk.

• Love 9

We can all agree that the earlier seasons sparkled. They sure do, I enjoy the reruns. 

What is "off" is the possibility that some of them might relapse. We have seen Bonnie and Jill relapse, Christy for gambling, not substances. We saw Marjorie in crisis. Tammy was a wild card there for awhile. 

But now, we don't want any of them to relapse, or even get close. The show has sort of wrapped up that aspect, of them being in recovery. It is certain they are long term survivors. It wouldn't be funny anymore if Bonnie relapsed. Like it was, when she got hooked on painkillers. The miracle of this show is that it managed to make that funny, without losing any of the seriousness of the issue. 

This should probably be the last season.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Allison Janney's wig this season is awful. I saw her in a recent interview and she has short grey hair. It's cute on her. 

She was on one of the late night shows (Colbert, I think?) the other night. She looks great with the short hair.

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

And oh, poor Jill. Her reaction is completely understandable. 

I actually teared up a little when she was talking to the dentist. I went to the same family-run practice my whole life; the father started it (when my mom was young!) and his two sons came in later and eventually took it over. The younger brother, who I saw most of the time, died in early 2019 and the older brother retired about 9 months later (I was not at all surprised when I got that letter). I was there a few weeks before his last day, so I got to see him one last time, and have been twice since then and seen each of the new dentists, who are very nice, but it's just different (and covid protocols certainly don't help my anxiety). The new dentists are a married couple, so I kind of like that it's continuing as a family-run practice. Plus most of the staff stayed so that helps, too.

I was hoping we'd see her meet the new dentist and he would already know about her "special needs."

• Love 5
16 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm really tired of Bonnie's emotional abuse of Adam. It's not funny at all. 

I agree and I don’t like Adam.  I find him sort of repulsive.  In the earlier seasons when he was drunk and smoking it just turned me off.  Also, I never understood how two recovering addicts lived with a man who drank, smoked and got high.  Bonnie even went out and bought him “supplies” and he owns a bar!  Made no sense to me.   The wig on Bonnie does look bad.  I wonder why they are still living in Bonnie’s apartment when Adam’s is clearly nicer and he is now making money.  Does Bonnie really have to be the maintenance person anymore for a rent free apartment?

• Love 1

For me what is off is that one of the central characters has left and whether you liked that character or not the show has been affected.  The chemistry is just off because something is missing.  Add in the fact that this show is 8 years old with what I I think is tired writing and you have a show that is limping to the finish line.

I’ve been on a rerun kick and it’s glaring how downhill the writing has gotten.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Made no sense to me. 

Neither does buying an RV. How is a man in a wheelchair going to get in and out of the bathroom in an RV? The only line I really remember hearing before I fell asleep was something to the effect of, "you can use the toilet and the shower." Along the same lines, did they mention having to outfit it with a wheelchair lift for him which would be an added expense? I doubt he could make transfers in and out of the driver's seat in an RV the way he can in his truck/car.

Edited by eel21788
2 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Neither does buying an RV. How is a man in a wheelchair going to get in and out of the bathroom in an RV? I only line I really remember hearing before I fell asleep was something to the effect of, "you can use the toilet and the shower." Along the same lines, did they mention having to outfit it with a wheelchair lift for him which would be an added expense? I doubt he could make transfers in and out of the driver's seat in an RV the way he can in his truck/car.

He had a line about it already being able to accommodate his wheelchair.

• Love 5

I seem to be in the minority who enjoyed this episode. It brought up a realistic conflict and after initial shenanigans both Bonnie and Adam managed to have an adult conversation about it. While relapse stories are no longer a good option I like how the show highlights that Bonnie still needs to work on herself - and she actually does it. Earlier seasons Bonnie would have done all sorts of crazy things before listening to cooler heads.

And yes, I was also a bit teary during Jill's meltdown in the dentist's office. Of course it was over the top but it's a sitcom.

• Love 9

I asked my primary care doctor if he was planning to retire any time in the next 10 years, and he said no. I had been having major anxiety worrying about it, so that was a relief. But then I realized that someday he WOULD retire, and I WOULD have to find someone else, after what has already been 30 years of him being the main person managing my complex medical history. So I felt for Jill. Her exaggerated behavior in the office was just sitcom styling.

I liked the Adam and Bonnie had a legitimate conflict, and resolved it in a mature manner, by eventually talking it through. I also liked her line about destroying the environment, and what Marjorie said about how, even when you're right you have to be careful how you handle it, and don't push the righteousness too far.

• Love 4

When the receptionist was all hush-hush about the dentist leaving, did anyone else wonder at first if he was being forced out of the practice because of something sinister? Like he was caught fondling his patients while they were under anesthesia? Okay, clearly I've watched The Golden Girls too many times.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Allison Janney's wig this season is awful.

Ditto.  It's too blonde and the hairline is too far back.  I was wondering why her forehead looked bigger

Another episode of 'Let's shoot down everything Wendy says'.  Lord, I'm tired of repeating myself in that dept.

I'm so glad Adam called back buying the bar without Bonnie's consent because that's the first thing I thought of when he admitted to buying it without telling her.  Bonnie wasn't too downright cruel in her usual treatment of him, though as a 50+ woman, I thought she'd have a little more maturity handling the issue with Adam rather than letting him live in the RV.  It may have seemed effective, but I thought it childish.  I am glad that he laid out why he did what he did and promised to never do it again and that he and Bonnie 'talked'

As for Jill's storyline, her reasons saved me from eyerolling over her 'everything has to be about me' when she found out her dentist was retiring. I still think after all these years in recovery that she'd dial it back on the spoiled diva behavior as it really just rubs me the wrong way.

And what was the reason for Bonnie remaining wrapped in the bed sheet on the ride home?  Couldn't she have put her clothes back on?

• Love 1

He had a line about it already being able to accommodate his wheelchair.

Yeah, it was sort of a throwaway, or a hand-wave, if you will. I wondered how Adam could even be driving when he's paralyzed. I know it's possible, they can outfit the car with pedals or gear shifts he can use with his hands, but I didn't see anything like that. Nor did I see any entry point he would have been able to get in and out of in a wheelchair. So I don't think they actually bothered to make/find an RV that was handicapped accessible. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm really tired of Bonnie's emotional abuse of Adam. It's not funny at all. 

It is tiresome. Bonnie is always pissed off at someone or something. I think we can see how important the Christy role was because Christy was the one that would always come back at Bonnie with the funny one liners and sort of put her in her place. We don't see that anymore and I miss it. Allison and Anna had great chemistry. 

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, it was sort of a throwaway, or a hand-wave, if you will. I wondered how Adam could even be driving when he's paralyzed. I know it's possible, they can outfit the car with pedals or gear shifts he can use with his hands, but I didn't see anything like that. Nor did I see any entry point he would have been able to get in and out of in a wheelchair. So I don't think they actually bothered to make/find an RV that was handicapped accessible. 

There is a large lever that is attached to the brake and the gas pedals. You pull the lever towards you for the gas and push it away from you for the brake. You also need a turning knob on the steering wheel since one hand is always occupied with the lever. Most states don't allow you to drive a car with one hand unless you have the turning knob for steering in place.

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

It is tiresome. Bonnie is always pissed off at someone or something. I think we can see how important the Christy role was because Christy was the one that would always come back at Bonnie with the funny one liners and sort of put her in her place. We don't see that anymore and I miss it. Allison and Anna had great chemistry. 

Yes, I agree, Allison and Anna did have great chemistry, it's too bad Anna left.

Let's keep in mind that the show runners didn't want Christy to leave...she let them know last minute that she is out. They are doing the best that they can and tbh this is still my favorite show on the air I will be super depressed if it ends.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, 60sgirl said:

It is tiresome. Bonnie is always pissed off at someone or something

She really needs to get back to seeing Trevor - and take Jill with her.  Although, from next week's preview......

Spoiler

Trevor is back and Jill is with Bonnie and there seems to be the beginning of some interest between him and Jill

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She was on one of the late night shows (Colbert, I think?) the other night. She looks great with the short hair.

I actually teared up a little when she was talking to the dentist. I went to the same family-run practice my whole life; the father started it (when my mom was young!) and his two sons came in later and eventually took it over. The younger brother, who I saw most of the time, died in early 2019 and the older brother retired about 9 months later (I was not at all surprised when I got that letter). I was there a few weeks before his last day, so I got to see him one last time, and have been twice since then and seen each of the new dentists, who are very nice, but it's just different (and covid protocols certainly don't help my anxiety). The new dentists are a married couple, so I kind of like that it's continuing as a family-run practice. Plus most of the staff stayed so that helps, too.

I was hoping we'd see her meet the new dentist and he would already know about her "special needs."

Agree my wonderful caring and sympathetic Dentist retired. In his place is a youngster who while checking my teeth after they were cleaned by the new subpar hygienist,poked me with the sharp instrument.  I am not happy with them and there’s a big lack of choices in the hillbilly town I live in. 

I don't believe for a minute that the whole "Adam makes big purchases" serious talk thing was planned all along. I think someone pitched the "he suddenly shows up with an RV" thing, they tossed out some other ideas, jokes, bits, liked it and then when they'd already committed to it someone said "uh, isn't this exactly what he did with the bar?" (in other words: oops we did this already) and then they decided to "fix it" by making it a pattern with the character, rather than altogether abandoning the premise.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, LucyEth said:

I wonder why they are still living in Bonnie’s apartment when Adam’s is clearly nicer and he is now making money.  Does Bonnie really have to be the maintenance person?

What else is Bonnie qualified to do? As it is, she is barely competent and does the least amount of work she can get away with. Didn't she say the building owner wanted something done a year ago that Bonnie never did, and that's why the contractor was there?

It actually makes economic sense for them to stay: Adam is making money from the bar, extra income from subletting his apartment (or Air BnB, I forget), and they live rent-free (which must be worth a few thousand dollars a month).

• Love 6
On 2/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, bichonblitz said:

I think this is a big part of what's missing this season. Not that Anna wasn't funny, but in a lot of ways she was the straight guy. Either the the jokes were about her or she made the snarky comment after Bonnie (or whoever) did something. And without her in that role, the funny stuff isn't as funny

• Love 4