Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, tessaray said:

Maybe if there were more roles for women of a certain age?  It's easy to see the Hollywood appeal of a ready-made story with an older beauty vs a fresh young thing. Definitely lazy though.

True, but we're talking about the 2 main roles being a princess and a wicked witch. 

How cheesy & worn out is that trope?  Princess & Witch. 

Women are as capable at writing dynamic roles for themselves as men are for themselves.  Hopefully more are doing just that and being taken seriously by production companies and studios.  Change can take a long time, but people need to want it. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

True, but we're talking about the 2 main roles being a princess and a wicked witch. 

Women are as capable at writing dynamic roles for themselves as men are for themselves.  Hopefully more are doing just that and being taken seriously by production companies and studios.  Change can take a long time, but people need to want it. 

I would love to see a series based on Sisters of the Vast Black. That's pretty much all women over the age of 40, maybe two or three very minor male characters in the first book. Would a series like that even get off the ground though? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

The last film I saw in a theater was...drumroll...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding, ca. 2002/3

The Hollywood (and other's) machine will starve on my patronage.  I'm okay with that.

Back on topic-ish - doncha just love John Corbett as -Eeeonn Miller and the fact that he married Bo Derek?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I will always go to movie theaters to see the films I want to see. What I do my damnest to avoid are films with roles played by CGI/motion capture "people" who aren't really people. Hell to the no with that. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

True. But it can be fun to watch in the right hands. 

I'm not defending the status quo - just acknowledging studios will almost always take the safe and lazy path. Reinterpreting fairy tales is safe. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The last movie I saw in Theatres was Star Wars episode 7.

To the current topic:  I think doing shout outs on certain days is impersonal.

Hopefully J Lo had the kids call to give a personal greeting to their father.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

To the current topic:  I think doing shout outs on certain days is impersonal.

I feel the same way. I never send FB birthdays. If it's a real friend I send them a DM happy birthday.  

1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

Hopefully J Lo had the kids call to give a personal greeting to their father.

None of my business but I wonder if Ben saw his kids on Fathers Day. 

• Love 6

I am sure he heard from them, if not actually saw them.  He and JG seem to be on good terms, so unless the girls are pissed at him over something, there's no reason that he wouldn't.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Zooey Deschanel honored her kid's father and the new man in her life, her boyfriend Jonathan Scott.

That's sweet.  I know nothing about any of them, but it's nice that the three adults apparently have a relationship with the kids and each other that makes such a picture possible in the first place, so if you're going to do a public post in addition to personally wishing a happy Father's Day to the fathers/father figures in your kids' lives, that's a nice thing to be able to share -- and I like that she obscured the kids' faces.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Deschanel, 42, and Pechenik, 50, announced their split after four years of marriage in September 2019, finalizing their divorce divorce in 2020. Prior to her marriage to Pechenik, she was married to Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard from 2009 to 2012.

I was confused but as the article explains, the father of her children was not the musician. I like She & Him but I've never followed her career or personal life enough to know about all her relationships. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think it is also impersonal to do public shoutouts on these occasions rather than a private sincere message. But Marc Anthony is not JLo's dad. I don't think she is obligated to say anything about him on Father's Day. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I kind of wonder how Marc Anthony feels that she completely ignored him and he's like, the actual father of her kids.

I don't think Marc Anthony is shedding any tears. IIRC, he has several other children with his ex-wives and/or baby mamas. So I'm sure he got a lot of attention without having JLo fawn over him too.

• Love 2
On 6/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m about to make your whole week:

The puppies are adorable. He is adorable. I have watched this 3 times now. I may watch it again later for a pick me up lol

• Love 12
On 6/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, Cinnabon said:

There are still a couple theaters in my area that have reduced admission fee days and/or hours. Otherwise, it’s ridiculous

Is it though? I live in Canada so it might be different here, but I looked it up and if I wanted to go see Top Gun Maverick tomorrow at a standard movie theatre it would be $12.99 (it's $7.45 today because Tuesday is cheap day). $12.99 is not super cheap but it's still a pretty good deal compared to just about anything else where you have to leave the house. Other than fast food I can't go out for a meal for $12.99. I can't even go for a few beers for that price. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

The puppies are adorable. He is adorable. I have watched this 3 times now. I may watch it again later for a pick me up lol

I loved it when he said to the one older dog "Thank you for trusting me." 

• Love 12
(edited)
10 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Is it though? I live in Canada so it might be different here, but I looked it up and if I wanted to go see Top Gun Maverick tomorrow at a standard movie theatre it would be $12.99 (it's $7.45 today because Tuesday is cheap day). $12.99 is not super cheap but it's still a pretty good deal compared to just about anything else where you have to leave the house. Other than fast food I can't go out for a meal for $12.99. I can't even go for a few beers for that price. 

I think things are usually cheaper in the US than they are in Canada (Unless we're talking about medicine or healthcare).  We have high taxes for one.  But anyway, while movie freaks (I include myself) MIGHT pay for 1 ticket to see 1 movie whenever we feel like, I think a lot of people have to treat going to the movies as an event - you're probably going to pay for IMAX or some kind of special effects, parking, babysitting, and many people go to the movies around dinnertime so you might also buy snacks, dinner itself, or drinks - those costs add up.

Before the pandemic I did VIP all the time - 19 and over, you can order food and drinks and you pay a surcharge.  It's pricey, but I don't complain about the price because I choose to do it.  When people pay a surcharge they usually don't talk through the movie - you would hope.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't know if this has already ben discussed, so I'm sorry if you're sick of it, but can someone please explain to me why Bradley Cooper was so insulted about this whole "the nom" thing? For anyone who doesn't know, this is the story:

In Cooper’s telling, a “hero female actress” went to congratulate him for his nomination for Best Actor in Silver Linings Playbook (up against Daniel Day-Lewis, Hugh Jackman, Joaquin Phoenix, and Denzel Washington):

She’s like, ‘I saw your movie. You deserve the nom,’ … I was like, ‘What? I’m sorry, what?’ ‘The nom.’ Then like ten or 20 minutes later — I’m not kidding — I passed her going to the bathroom, and she mouths it: ‘The nom.’ … What the fuck is this town? Can you imagine saying that to somebody? You’ve got to be fucked up to do that.

I don't get it. She's telling him she thinks he deserves the nomination. He considers her to be a "hero" to him, & she's congratulating him on his work, & he think it's fucked up. Why? What am I not getting?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

I don't know if this has already ben discussed, so I'm sorry if you're sick of it, but can someone please explain to me why Bradley Cooper was so insulted about this whole "the nom" thing? For anyone who doesn't know, this is the story:

I don't get it. She's telling him she thinks he deserves the nomination. He considers her to be a "hero" to him, & she's congratulating him on his work, & he think it's fucked up. Why? What am I not getting?

Maybe it’s just the ridiculousness of calling it the “nom?” Not insulting but plain dumb, imo.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Maybe it’s just the ridiculousness of calling it the “nom?” Not insulting but plain dumb, imo.

But calling it "the nom" is basic industry talk, I've heard it used before. I don't understand why he's so insulted.

• Like 4
Just now, GaT said:

But calling it "the nom" is basic industry talk, I've heard it used before. I don't understand why he's so insulted.

Maybe my interpretation is completely off and he wasn’t bothered by that part. I find it inane. Other than that, it seems like we’re missing part of the story here.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, GaT said:

I’ve listened to the podcast and he wasn’t insulted by the word. It had nothing to do with the abbreviation but repeatedly saying the nom (and going as far as to mouth it several minutes later) was saying that he only deserved the nom. The impression he used for the actress matched that patronizing tone. It was a “who says that shit to someone’s face” thing than a “who uses the word nom” thing. 

I personally interpret that as congratulating someone on a nomination, which seems polite, rather than insinuating they only deserved that and not the award. So, to me, Cooper does come across as being an overly sensitive asshole if that is what he is objecting to. That being said, her walking up to him and mouthing "the nom" again is pretty weird, regardless of the context, so I don't blame him for finding that unsettling. Honestly, it seems like a draw between two people who both come across as less than pleasant or normal in that encounter. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, Zella said:

I personally interpret that as congratulating someone on a nomination, which seems polite, rather than insinuating they only deserved that and not the award. So, to me, Cooper does come across as being an overly sensitive asshole if that is what he is objecting to. That being said, her walking up to him and mouthing "the nom" again is pretty weird, regardless of the context, so I don't blame him for finding that unsettling. Honestly, it seems like a draw between two people who both come across as less than pleasant or normal in that encounter. 

I thought the same thing reading the article but listening to the actual podcast changed that. If the tone he used in the impression was accurate there was nothing complimentary about it and it was 100% a deliberate insult. Plus he wasn’t really upset but more baffled at how people in Hollywood go out of their way to tear other people down. The podcast hosts, Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett, were in complete agreement about that kind of thing happening.

Of course there is no way to know if he is an unreliable narrator and perceiving it differently than it was intended due to his own insecurities, if she actually was an asshole or some combination of the two. 

27 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’ve listened to the podcast and he wasn’t insulted by the word. It had nothing to do with the abbreviation but repeatedly saying the nom (and going as far as to mouth it several minutes later) was saying that he only deserved the nom. The impression he used for the actress matched that patronizing tone. It was a “who says that shit to someone’s face” thing than a “who uses the word nom” thing. 

Ah, so he thought she was saying he might have deserved the nomination. but not the win?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Dani said:

I thought the same thing reading the article but listening to the actual podcast changed that. If the tone he used in the impression was accurate there was nothing complimentary about it and it was 100% a deliberate insult. Plus he wasn’t really upset but more baffled at how people in Hollywood go out of their way to tear other people down. The podcast hosts, Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett, were in complete agreement about that kind of thing happening.

Of course there is no way to know if he is an unreliable narrator and perceiving it differently than it was intended due to his own insecurities, if she actually was an asshole or some combination of the two. 

Interesting! The while thing sounds like something out of a sitcom episode. 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

Ah, so he thought she was saying he might have deserved the nomination. but not the win?

Yes. One of the hosts (I think it was Arnett) spelled it out, “meaning like don’t win, you’re never going to win” and Cooper said “yeah”.

The podcast hosts, Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett, were in complete agreement about that kind of thing happening.

Nothing good comes from celebrity podcasts

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

Maybe I'm too much of a rube but I fail to see how having someone tell you that you deserve 'the nom' somehow is as bad if not worse than getting told that one's mother wears Army boots- even if one opts to believe that this means that the other person saying this is implying that one does NOT deserve to actually win an Oscar! IMO, it seems Mr. Cooper was making a molehill mountain/ getting hypersensitive over something that's out of the realm of possibility for all but a few hundred folks in the world in any year. Does Mr. Cooper also think that NOT being able to shower on an airplane to be a literal nightmare?

All the above said, I don't consider him a bad or unpleasant person(or untalented) but I hope someone among his loved ones will talk to him about how this is NOT something to lose sleep over AND one isn't obligated to share every negative thought one has about others with the entire world.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

one isn't obligated to share every negative thought one has about others with the entire world.

Sadly, far too many constantly use SM to do the same and I don’t see that changing.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, GaT said:

That was my interpretation as well.  I was more interested in the story he told about a famous director telling him how unbelievable it was BC had seven Oscar nominations.  A famous actress was with BC and the director basically said how is it fair you have seven nominations and she only has three.

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

All the above said, I don't consider him a bad or unpleasant person(or untalented) but I hope someone among his loved ones will talk to him about how this is NOT something to lose sleep over AND one isn't obligated to share every negative thought one has about others with the entire world.

I like him but I do think he has some major insecurities.  But I also think there might be some in Hollywood who don't like him.  What was that John Wayne quote? Don't let the bastards get you down?  He has a pretty good career. He should pay attention to those wishing him well and not those trying to bring him down.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I was more interested in the story he told about a famous director telling him how unbelievable it was BC had seven Oscar nominations.  A famous actress was with BC and the director basically said how is it fair you have seven nominations and she only has three.

Was this on the same podcast? Because if so, then yeah, that sounds a little extra for someone of with his career success to dish the negative when it comes to his Oscar nominations.  The fact that he has Oscar nominations (multiple) is quite a privilege in his business.

Also, Not gonna lie, but  am with the famous director wrt  Cooper's accolades.  He is one of those people whose career success honestly baffles me. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I didn't like Silver Linings Playbook at all, which is what the "nom" remark was about.  But who says that to someone's face?  That's just rude.  It's just totally unnecessary.  I'm on his side.  I read an article that surmised it could have been Isabelle Hupert, but that's just pure speculation and having fun with this blind item.

However, I thought Bradley did a marvellous job directing "A Star is Born" and somehow an even better job acting and singing in it.  He blew me away.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
18 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Was this on the same podcast? Because if so, then yeah, that sounds a little extra for someone of with his career success to dish the negative when it comes to his Oscar nominations.  The fact that he has Oscar nominations (multiple) is quite a privilege in his business.

Also, Not gonna lie, but  am with the famous director wrt  Cooper's accolades.  He is one of those people whose career success honestly baffles me. 

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bradley-cooper-mocked-oscar-nominations-1235298780/

• Useful 2
(edited)

Nobody likes a whiner.  Especially when you get MILLIONS of dollars for your day job.  

Suck it up, Buttercup.  You aren't that special.

He's overrated to me.  Nothing distinctive & very generic.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

To me he's just talking about his industry, and he was invited on that podcast to do so, so it makes sense that he would share stories like this.  I've always liked that podcast but I like those three actors that run it and I like who they interview and what they talk about.  It's not like Bradley forced anyone to listen!  It's just that media publications heard the story and ran with it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

To me he's just talking about his industry,

I agree.  And I like that he isn't doing that whole thing of we are all just one big happy family blah blah blah.  

I gotta admit I was kinda surprised that Will from Alias became a huge star but good for him.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I gotta admit I was kinda surprised that Will from Alias became a huge star but good for him.

Who?

Never mind, I get it.  I never watched the show. 

Edited by SnapHappy
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I like him but I do think he has some major insecurities.  But I also think there might be some in Hollywood who don't like him.  What was that John Wayne quote? Don't let the bastards get you down?  He has a pretty good career. He should pay attention to those wishing him well and not those trying to bring him down.

This is true of most of us, I think. I couldn’t handle being a celebrity at all. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

This is true of most of us, I think. I couldn’t handle being a celebrity at all. 

Nor I. I was going to deride Bradley Cooper for being a little whiner... but considering the colossally dumber things celebrities have had grievances about recently (or ever), I'm going to back off.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think it's cool that he's so open about other people being like this towards him. Why should he keep it to himself?  

I agree. Especially in this time of extreme oversharing on SM about every little thing. He was being interviewed and told the truth about his experiences and how he felt. 

5 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Nobody likes a whiner.  Especially when you get MILLIONS of dollars for your day job.  

Suck it up, Buttercup.  You aren't that special.

He's overrated to me.  Nothing distinctive & very generic.  

He’s shared his feelings. If he doesn’t get hired for future projects because of it, so be it. 🤷‍♀️ There are plenty of toxic, abusive actors who continue to get work, so I’m sure he will too.

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yeah, right up there with "merch" and "collab".  Irritating, but probably not worthy of a rant.

Yes! Thank you! So glad I’m not alone in this.

• Like 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Me neither. I like my privacy, and I'm shy and sensitive. I always wonder how all these actors who say they're so shy handle it. I understand not being shy playing a character, but do they dread interviews? I'd be a nervous wreck. Being a celeb in Old Hollywood may have been fun. There weren't photographers trying to catch celebs looking their worst. There wasn't social media to blow up every slightly imperfect thing you said. But as the years have gone by, the tradeoff for pursuing your dreams and the glamour and money that comes with it isn't worth the lack of normalcy and privacy imo. You don't even need to be a huge star to get caught up in controversy or to get stalkers or robbers.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Me neither. I like my privacy, and I'm shy and sensitive. I always wonder how all these actors who say they're so shy handle it. I understand not being shy playing a character, but do they dread interviews? I'd be a nervous wreck. Being a celeb in Old Hollywood may have been fun. There weren't photographers trying to catch celebs looking their worst. There wasn't social media to blow up every slightly imperfect thing you said. But as the years have gone by, the tradeoff for pursuing your dreams and the glamour and money that comes with it isn't worth the lack of normalcy and privacy imo. You don't even need to be a huge star to get caught up in controversy or to get stalkers or robbers.

I have many insecurities and I’m super sensitive, and I also get angry and won’t hold back on speaking my mind. People would hate me as a celebrity, lol. But I’d rather hear the truth from actors and everyone else when asked questions instead of fluff and lies.

• Like 1
  • Love 14
12 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I have many insecurities and I’m super sensitive, and I also get angry and won’t hold back on speaking my mind. People would hate me as a celebrity, lol. But I’d rather hear the truth from actors and everyone else when asked questions instead of fluff and lies.

Yes I would rather hear the things that Bradley Cooper said about how other celebs talked to him than hear the publicist approved polished chit chat we hear from celebs.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes I would rather hear the things that Bradley Cooper said about how other celebs talked to him than hear the publicist approved polished chit chat we hear from celebs.  

💯. The world needs far less disingenuous BS. 

• Love 2