Type keyword(s) to search

Lupin - General Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

A retelling of the classic French story about Arsène Lupin, the world-famous gentleman thief and master of disguise.

As a teenager, Assane Diop's life was turned upside down when his father died after being accused of a crime he didn’t commit. 25 years later, Assane will use "Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar" as his inspiration to avenge his father.

Not to be confused with Remus Lupin or the other iterations of Arsène Lupin (which include an anime series and a movie starring Kristin Thomas Scott), this is a French series on Netflix (it's dubbed into English).

Promo 1:

Promo 2:

Original air date: 1/8/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I loved this series! I quickly binged on it, an am proud that I could get some of the French. I had never heard of the books, but want to read them now. Really looking forward to a second season, which I believe is coming sometime.

• Love 4

I'm not a binger, I've only seen the first episode, but what an excellent first episode!  Introduces us to the hero, reveals a sad backstory, sets up for a revenge plot, and there's a heist in the Louvre!  And to be clear, our hero Assane Diop is inspired by the Lupin stories as he sets out for revenge.

• Love 5

The first episode was a great way to introduce Assane and the whole premise with the necklace. The story really pulled me in, as did Omar Sy's excellent portrayal of Assane. They managed to establish many characters and relationships without making it feel overwhelming (which can be an issue with pilots).

The way they expanded on the history between the Diop family and the Pellegrini family in the following episodes felt very natural - they let the story unfold without jamming too much history at once or drawing it out too slowly. I've only watched the first four episodes and I'm trying not to burn through them too quickly (especially since there is a dearth of good new shows at this point in the pandemic), but I'm looking forward to seeing how this all ends.

I loved that (1) Fabienne's dog is named J'accuse and (2) she trained it to bark every time it heard the name Pellegrini.

• Love 9

I've seen the first two episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying this! Assane is so clever and versatile. The bike delivery thing was so funny. Yikes, that prison stint was risky, though. Actually letting himself get stabbed? Commitment. I like the relationships they've set up with the other characters as well. I do wonder how much of his success is accurately predicting what other people will do, and how much is being able to adapt on the fly.

ElectricBoogaloo, you appear in the forums of almost every show I watch! Maybe I should just start checking your list when I need something new. Clearly you have superb taste!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Enginerd said:

ElectricBoogaloo, you appear in the forums of almost every show I watch! Maybe I should just start checking your list when I need something new. Clearly you have superb taste!

We can be tv show buddies since we share the same great taste (feel free to ignore the trash tv I also watch).

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Enginerd said:

I've seen the first two episodes so far,

I'm two episodes in as well, and I'm loving the show.  Two things I don't understand.  Sometime the French word 'merde' is translated as 'shit' and other times as 'fuck'.  I've always thought merde was translated as the former.  Could a francophile explain this?

The other is why the cop ,the one who know about the anagrams of Arsene Lupin, had a copy of Assane's dad's rapsheet?  Is it explained in a future episode?

Edited by sugarbaker design
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For some reason, I thought there were ten episodes so I was really confused when the fifth episode ended and Netflix kicked me out of Lupin to suggest I watch Bridgerton. Hurry up, part 2!

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/01/13/lupin-episode-6-release-date-netflix-part-2/

There are 10 episodes.  Netflix is calling them part 2 and hasn't released them yet.

https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a35216674/lupin-part-2-netflix/

Edited by magdalene
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, sugarbaker design said:

The other is why the cop ,the one who know about the anagrams of Arsene Lupin, had a copy of Assane's dad's rapsheet?  Is it explained in a future episode?

I thought it was just because had been accused and convicted of stealing the same necklace 25 years earlier.

• Love 2
On 1/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I'm two episodes in as well, and I'm loving the show.  Two things I don't understand.  Sometime the French word 'merde' is translated as 'shit' and other times as 'fuck'.  I've always thought merde was translated as the former.  Could a francophile explain this?

I have always seen it as 'shit' or 'crap'. Maybe the translator wanted to expand it as a swear word?

• Love 1

I binged this over the weekend - Omar Sy is great and makes me forget some of the weaker plot points.

Assane is as anticipatory as he is careless and thats really annoying at times. What made him think going on that TV show in a weak disguise, especially after drawing attention at the auction, was a good idea? The lad needs a crash course from Philip and Elisabeth Jennings. And don't get me started on the jewellery heist - makes Oceans 8 look like hertiage craft.

Netflix needs to drop the second part pronto.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I binged this over the weekend, and I really enjoyed except for the sound mixing.  I got annoyed with the English dubbing when it did not sync with the action.  It looks like the French cast filmed in English because the lips matched the dialog, but there were times when the tone was off.  I wouldn't mind watching these episodes in their original French with subtitles instead of the dubbing.  I hope the show takes the time to fix these issues with the next batch of episodes.  

I did like the show leaned into the ugly after effects of French colonialism.  The constant shock from white people when Assane showed up, "I didn't know you were....young, old, etc" when they meant black.  And the journalist's whole rant about being a woman of a certain age was perfection.  

• Love 6

I watched this all over the weekend, what a great show I was riveted the entire time. My only complaint is that I don't want to wait for the second part, I want to know what is going to happen now! I thought that this show would be a short miniseries, but then it was episode five with only three minutes left and we still clearly had tons to wrap up, so I really glad to hear that there is a part two. 

I really like watching Assane doing his thing, including basing whole gambits around Arsène Lupin books, which is the kind of extra I am sure that Lupin would approve of. The only plan that wasn't up to snuff was him going on the news in that old man makeup. Not only did it look fake, but getting on TV was a big risk for what could be little pay off. The jewel heist itself was fun though, and getting into prison and out was really impressive, if a huge risk. He got himself stabbed just to keep the plan going, that is some serious commitment. 

I am really sad that the journalist got killed, even though I did see it coming. J'accuse was adorable and had the cutest name, I am glad that at least he wasn't hurt and Assane gave him to his friend to take care of. Poor little pup. 

I started with the English dub, but it didn't sound quite right, so I switched to subtitles and I thought it was much better. I usually prefer subtitles to dubbing when it comes to live action movies and TV. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It looks like the French cast filmed in English because the lips matched the dialog

Are you saying you think the show filmed in both English and French or that the dubbing was otherwise good that the English matched up with the lips?

I watched it in French with subtitles.  I was happy because the French was actually pretty easy to understand.  I appreciate that it wasn't a mile a minute.  I'm a little out of practice and that speed throws me.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The only plan that wasn't up to snuff was him going on the news in that old man makeup. Not only did it look fake, but getting on TV was a big risk for what could be little pay off.

That was the part that really bothered me. There didn't seem to be a good reason to do it, and it was very risky. Plus, he took off the mask in the street right outside and it looked like he dropped it on the sidewalk?! I watched a video on Youtube once where a woman who had worked for the CIA arranging disguises talked about disguise scenes in movies. She didn't like when they were evading someone and changing their appearance as they went and dropping clothing etc. She said you shouldn't drop things in public because that's evidence. You'd stuff things into a bag and maybe have another bag to put that bag into, but you'd keep your things in your control.

Plus, if someone from the studio or someone who watched the show walked out and saw the mask on the sidewalk, they'd know for sure the interviewee was a disguise, which might get investigators wondering how many of the other people involved were disguises. And from there it doesn't seem like very many steps to identify Assane.

• Love 1

The tv disguise bothered me as well. It would be one thing if this show were set in the past (decades ago at the very least), but in present day there are cameras in most large cities as well as facial recognition software and other resources that would help identify him very quickly. That was a reckless and unwise choice. For someone who has been shown to be methodical when planning, that seemed out of character for him. I understand more when he made mistakes in the moment (like revealing to the detective that he was the thief's son), but going on tv in such a weak disguise was a terrible idea.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Are you saying you think the show filmed in both English and French or that the dubbing was otherwise good that the English matched up with the lips?

I watched it in French with subtitles.  I was happy because the French was actually pretty easy to understand.  I appreciate that it wasn't a mile a minute.  I'm a little out of practice and that speed throws me.

The show looks like they filmed the actors in both French and English because the actors lips matched up with the words.  But, it was also dubbed.  There were times usually in the beginning of a scene or when an actor's back was turned that the dubbing became noticeable.  The tone of the voice did not match the actors' body language.  It would be too loud or too forceful.  I will say that when it happened it was jarring, but then show almost immediately correct itself and I forgot about it until it happened again.  And it was not all of the actors usually just the female cop and Assane's estranged wife.  It's almost like the show used different voices for them or used software to de-French their accents.  

23 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:
23 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I wouldn't mind watching these episodes in their original French with subtitles instead of the dubbing.

That's the way I watched it.  I prefer subtitles over dubbing any day of the week.  I'm sure it's available for everyone.

You just have to change your language preferences.

The entire premise is preposterous, but it's presented very well.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the first two episodes then I think it took a bit of a dive. It was a bit more boring but still ok. Just some of the things he could do were so unbelievable it was hard to suspend disbelief. I’ll watch part 2 but I’m kind of surprised at all the raving about it. It was decent. 

• Love 1

Just finished episode 5. One thing I couldn’t figure out. Why did the cops at the train station go after the wrong guy? I assumed Assane was going to provoke the other guy to pull his gun and draw the cops, but he didn’t need to. 

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

Just finished episode 5. One thing I couldn’t figure out. Why did the cops at the train station go after the wrong guy? I assumed Assane was going to provoke the other guy to pull his gun and draw the cops, but he didn’t need to. 

The tip-off message mentioned him wearing a trench coat - so the cops went for the guy with the coat. Hard to believe though that the Paris squad wouldn't provide their colleagues with a picture.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Aulty said:

The tip-off message mentioned him wearing a trench coat - so the cops went for the guy with the coat. Hard to believe though that the Paris squad wouldn't provide their colleagues with a picture.

Merci! Must have missed it.

15 hours ago, Aulty said:

I want to know how the stalker guy got taken to the police station, they verified his alibi, they released him, he somehow got a car, drove all the way back out to the beach park and THEN had time to find Raoul in that crowd, and drag him away without the kid screaming bloody murder.  Seriously?  

And the ex? current? kinda? wife Claire was a complete bitch to him in every scene.  You've known he's a thief, sweetie, quit the whining. Even telling him she was knocked up, she had to gripe about the restaurant.   And why was she still wearing a gold wedding band on the train?  Does her doctor boyfriend Marc think that's cool?

I thought I liked the episodes, but in hindsight, all the plot holes are just hitting me as lazy and haphazard.  I don't know if I'll look for the next series.  

• Love 1

Just finished Ep. 5.  Great series, and looking forward to the 2nd half. 

I agree, there is some loose writing, especially, as @leighdear noted, the total impossibility (not improbability, but impossibility) of Pelligrini's guy on the train being arrested, released, etc. all in such a short time that he could get to the beach to kidnap Raul.  It's a shame we're left with that until the 2nd half comes out.  I liked how they ended with the one detective finding Assane.  I hope they team up in the 2nd half.  At this point the only thing they've got on Assane is the possible kidnapping of the police chief, but since he's dirty he'll never finger Assane.  They know it was Assane at the museum with the necklace, but I don't think there's any proof (that the police have, at least) that Assane stole it.  Just that he was there and "bought" it under a fake name.  Not sure if that's a crime, since the sale never went through due to the "theft".  Am I remembering this right?

I started watching this show with the English dubbed, but a few of the voices, most notably Pelligrini, just didn't fit well.  So I switched to French with English subtitles.  Overall I think they did a good job with the dubbing. 

Does anyone know if people really dress up like Lupin when visiting that town/beach in the final scene?  I sort of hope so! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Does anyone know if people really dress up like Lupin when visiting that town/beach in the final scene?  I sort of hope so! 

They were dressed up because it was an Arsène Lupin festival celebrating his birthday.

Edited by dubbel zout
accuracy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

After finishing Lupin I decided to check out other foreign series on Netflix, and just want to put in a plug for The Money Heist (La Casa de Papel) - it's a Spanish series about a robbery at the Royal Mint in Madrid and it is a great ride. 30 some episodes - a definite commitment - but I'm enjoying it a lot and it's filling a post-Lupin itch for smart and unexpected shenanigans.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Ok I’ve only watched 4.

I’d say the problem wasn’t the old man disguise, it was going on the show in the first place.

How could he hand over the only copy of the tape to the TV show?

Better to digitize it and post it on Twitter.  Come on, Assane is a brilliant hacker who can create convincing deep fake videos, hack into Circe smart speaker (doesn’t exist but other countries do have smart speakers with digital assistants).

Why in the hell would he hand over a rickety old VHS without making a digital copy?  But Pellegrini is famous so if he posted on Twitter, it would have gotten way more views than Autre Edition tabloid show.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 2/2/2021 at 3:58 AM, aghst said:

Ok I’ve only watched 4.

I’d say the problem wasn’t the old man disguise, it was going on the show in the first place.

How could he hand over the only copy of the tape to the TV show?

Better to digitize it and post it on Twitter.  Come on, Assane is a brilliant hacker who can create convincing deep fake videos, hack into Circe smart speaker (doesn’t exist but other countries do have smart speakers with digital assistants).

Why in the hell would he hand over a rickety old VHS without making a digital copy?  But Pellegrini is famous so if he posted on Twitter, it would have gotten way more views than Autre Edition tabloid show.

My thoughts exactly.  This is part of the "plot holes" complaint you see on this thread.  There's just no way Assane wouldn't have made a copy and had it ready to go on Twitter.  And there's no way the journalist lady would have let him leave without making a copy, either.  I thought the note she wrote in the book would have been a clue to a copy of the tape.  There really was no point on him going on that tv show in the first place, given how much attention the first little clip that he posted got.  There's also the issue of how Pelligrini was able to alter the tape in the presumably short time there was between Assane getting to the tv station, handing the tape to a tech to queue up, and appearing in the interview.  And that no one - no one! - was alerted or concerned in any way about a guest being assaulted by 3 men on his way out of the studio. 

I had the same complaint about the earlier episode (2?) where he swapped places with his cousin (or whoever it was ) to get into prison.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to impersonate a prison doctor, or some other prison employee/official?  He can figure out how to get hired into the Louvre, which probably has better security measures than your average prison.  But this was so convoluted - he had to swap places, then find the other inmate, then had to get himself shanked - but only slightly so - to get into the infirmary, then had to break out.  Where he could have just gone in as a doctor and had the inmate brought in for a routine physical or whatever. 

• Love 5

Just finished this.  My post contains spoilers.  I really enjoyed it a lot but also agree with many of the criticisms people have offered here.  The show is at its best when Assane is doing one of his public schemes -- the Louvre heist, the (completely OTT) Belgian Congo lady, the delivery bike chase, etc.  When you sit back and think over some of the broader arcs, that's when things fall apart a bit.  Better not to think so hard and just enjoy the ride.  

The whole idea of Assane as a master of disguise makes no sense.  Especially since the show makes racism and its dehumanization of people of color a recurring theme.  Guy's a big, handsome black man -- not one of those witnesses would ever have noticed subtle differences in his nose, cheekbones, eyebrows, or whatever other stuff he was manipulating through makeup.  He might as well change his shoelaces or sock color - nobody, literally nobody, in Assane's world would have cared.  Once Assane won the auction at the Louvre his cover was blown and his photo would have been everywhere.  Even on the TV show everyone would immediately have pegged him as Assane in makeup, just as we did.  

It also seemed quite convenient that teenager Raoul suddenly turned into a Lupin fanatic just because his moderately estranged dad gave him the book to read at the start of the show.  

Really surprised the prison nurse didn't have a photo on file of the prisoner Assane was supposed to be, let alone a medical file with things like height and weight; ditto the guards who would have escorted a shanked prisoner to and from the infirmary.  Nobody wondered who this guy was they'd never seen before?  

I sympathized with Claire quite a bit.  Lots of people spend their lives in dysfunctional relationships trying to redeem somebody they suspect they'd be better without.  It's good to see her keep at it, though she's gonna be pissed when she finds out what Assane's hijinks have done to her son.  Maybe Chapter 2 will be titled "Can Pellegrini Kill Assane, Before Claire Gets to Him First?"

• Love 6

Glad you mentioned watching the show with subtitles instead of dubbing.  I don't know if it's my TV or my ears but a lot of the dubbed dialogue got lost.  Will have to go back and rewatch with the subtitles.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, Aulty said:

Assane is as anticipatory as he is careless and thats really annoying at times. What made him think going on that TV show in a weak disguise, especially after drawing attention at the auction, was a good idea? The lad needs a crash course from Philip and Elisabeth Jennings. And don't get me started on the jewellery heist - makes Oceans 8 look like hertiage craft.

I think that he planned to look ridiculous on the tv show. I don't know, I think he's pulling a long con. Although, fabienne and raoul we unexpected by him, I'm sure. I think he showed himself to the daughter in the 2nd episode as part of it. I think he's got something planned for her as well. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, chaifan said:

For anyone who's interested in reading the books, Kindle now has The Collection of Arsene Lupin for free for Prime members. 

There’s also an Arsene Lupin movie on Amazon Prime, too. Haven’t seen it, but obviously unconnected to the show.

Lupin’s Portrayal of the Real Paris Is Positively Thrilling

The show’s production designer, Françoise Dupertuis, wanted to show the two different sides of Paris: the pretty tourist traps and the unpleasant outer-city suburbs. The series was shot in the high-end districts, like the chic first arrondissement (home to the Louvre), the left bank’s Jardin du Luxembourg, a manicured park, and the famed Pont des Arts bridge near Musee d’Orsay.

“We also wanted to show the harder Paris, that being where the working class live, the suburbs of the city,” Dupertuis tells AD. These scenes were shot in the city’s northern, less charming areas. “We worked on contrasts,” she says.

In fact, non-Parisians may not recognize the city in many of the scenes. “We wanted to shoot in more intriguing, more secret places in Paris, the Paris known to the Parisian who lives there, who works there and who still like to discover the city,” said Dupertuis. “The different faces of Paris.”

One lesser-known gem used as a filming location was the Marché aux Puces de St. Ouen, an antique market where Diop’s childhood friend Benjamin works in the show. Lupin also shot inside Parisian restaurants known as insider hot spots, like the Le China restaurant in Bastille, which feels like a Shanghai speakeasy from the 1930s; and Café Prunier, an upscale eatery first founded as an oyster shop in 1872.

Parisian landmarks peek out of corners and windows throughout the show, like in one restaurant scene where Diop and his ex-partner talk over lunch at a restaurant nearby La Porte Saint-Martin, a monument built in 1674. Some scenes were shot in the Musée Nissim de Camondo, a historic house showcasing 18th-century art, which is used in flashback scenes of the mansion where Diop’s father worked as a butler.

For the design team, the most beloved scene was shot at the Louvre for the first episode, where Diop stages a heist to steal the Queen’s multimillion-dollar necklace at an auction. “It’s always amazing to have a museum to yourself, to walk around and be alone in front of the Mona Lisa,” says Dupertuis. “It’s a magical place full of history; you feel so small when you work there.”

The TV show had permission to shoot inside and outside the Louvre over five nights. Getting access was difficult—it's a long, bureaucratic process to gain permission to shoot anything in Paris, never mind its most famed museum. (Though this doesn’t stop countless productions from doing so—it was reported that the museum hosted a total of 120 productions in 2015 alone.)

According to Sy, though, the museum opened its doors to the crew and was “flexible and supportive.” TV shows that apply to shoot at the Louvre can only do so when it’s closed to the public, so Lupin shot between the hours of 7 p.m. and 8 a.m. to avoid crowds (it was filmed pre-pandemic).

Though Paris is the star of the show, the last episode takes the viewer up the coast of the north of France. In episode five (spoiler alert!), when Diop escapes his perpetrators, the train and coastal scenes were shot in Étretat, a seaside town in Normandy.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Like others, I found the TV newsertainment thing to be the only real flaw. Not so much because Assane could be recognized, but more because you could almost count on a TMZ-like show to be under the influence of a Pellgrini. Assane is so smart; out of character for him to be so dumb.

• Like 1
  • Love 2