Type keyword(s) to search

Lupin - General Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

In the season finale, we were confused by the ending. OK, so I get that Assane and Pellegrini are in adjacent cells. I think the letter Assane is reading is from Pellegrini, and is Pellegrini also reading a letter from Assane? Are we meant to know anything about what the letter(s) say?  Or does the audience merely know that Assane looks consternated, without us knowing what in the letter caused this? Maybe we're meant to infer that the letter contains a threat against his family? Or maybe (I'm inferring again) Pellegrini is saying "let's become allies and we can break out of this joint"? (But then I'd think Assane would be smiling.) Any and all help appreciated.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 5:28 AM, Milburn Stone said:

In the season finale, we were confused by the ending. OK, so I get that Assane and Pellegrini are in adjacent cells. I think the letter Assane is reading is from Pellegrini, and is Pellegrini also reading a letter from Assane? Are we meant to know anything about what the letter(s) say?  Or does the audience merely know that Assane looks consternated, without us knowing what in the letter caused this? Maybe we're meant to infer that the letter contains a threat against his family? Or maybe (I'm inferring again) Pellegrini is saying "let's become allies and we can break out of this joint"? (But then I'd think Assane would be smiling.) Any and all help appreciated.

Assane is reading a letter from Pellegrini, with the implication that he's been playing the long game and has been behind this all along - and perhaps you shouldn't trust those that you do (cut to Mariama and Ben).

I don't believe Pellegrini was reading a letter?

• Useful 2

This was my least favorite of the 3 "parts" so far.  Part 1 was great - mostly Assane and heists, playing with the police, working with Ben, etc.  Little bits of Claire and Raoul.  Part 2 was too heavy on the family, not enough Lupin for me.  And Part 3 doubled down on that, adding mom to the mix.  And, as was mentioned above, quite heavy on the flashbacks, getting hit over the head with the Oliver Twist references.  It just wasn't a satisfying season for me.  Also, I thought "Alex" was creepy looking, and the whole concept of using Alex to spy on Claire and Raoul was also creepy. 

Bad guy from childhood doesn't seem to be anywhere near smart enough to be playing the game with Assane that he was.  But I'm not buying mom as the criminal mastermind, either.  I agree that the end scene was implying that someone close to Assane - most likely mom or Ben - was setting him up.  But I'm not sure Pelligrini was behind everything from this season.  Just that he knows someone in Assane's inner circle will betray him. 

If Assane has turned himself in, why are Claire, Raoul, Ben and mom leaving?  Where/how are they going to live? 

Here's my big question... At the end of Part 2, beginning of Part 3, exactly what was Assane on the run for?  I really don't remember what his "crime" was at the end of Part 2.

I agree with those who were unhappy with these six episodes. I accept there has to be a certain amount of handwaving when watching, but these eps really pushed that for me. And the show's tone went from being fun and whimsical to smug. 

Part of the problem for me is that what works in a book doesn't necessarily transfer to the screen. I know the Lupin books are more of an inspiration than an adaptation for the series, but for Assane to always have the upper hand, in the most ludicrous of situations, is absurd, and one of the reasons the show hasn't gotten smug for me.

I also am frustrated with the police. Enough has happened that the main cop should stop pooh-poohing the Lupin connection. She doesn't have to like it, but to continue to say the connections aren't there makes her look stupid, and it's bad enough she's always on the losing end.

We have a setup for another round, but I'm not sure I can go along for the ride, which is a shame. 

• Like 2