Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: A Tight Ass is a Wonderful Thing

• Start Topic

Thanks to Abishola's brutal Nigerian honesty, Bob finds himself in a feud with Kemi. Also, after Douglas makes a big mistake on the warehouse floor, Goodwin hates himself for looking the other way.

Airdate: 01/04/2021

On 1/3/2021 at 8:30 PM, jewel21 said:

Airdate: 01/04/2021

Ok it’s getting super old that bob seems to be the only one compromising and changing who he is to be in this relationship .... that’s not cute or funny it’s borderline psychotic that she expects him to make all the changes and doesn’t seem to realize that she too should alter some things she does ... this relationship is to one sided ... what is going on with the writers that they are not addressing this 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Ok it’s getting super old that bob seems to be the only one compromising and changing who he is to be in this relationship .... that’s not cute or funny it’s borderline psychotic that she expects him to make all the changes and doesn’t seem to realize that she too should alter some things she does ... this relationship is to one sided ... what is going on with the writers that they are not addressing this 

Maybe they should rename the series  "Bob ❤️ Abishola???"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

All of that for a woman who can go episodes between smiles.

• Love 7

Excellent comments here so far regarding Abishola's awful personality and rigidity. I'm also tired of Bob jumping through hoops for this woman. For him, she is really no prize. Maybe she needs to be told that. It is HER LIFE and circumstances that would greatly improve if she and Bob acutally married...the man has financial stability and treats her very well. He is an over all nice man. She needs to be knocked off her high horse and look at the circumstances of her own life....husband abandoned her; she lives with her uncle and aunt with her son in a small apartment and has to take the city bus to and from work. Bob drives her to and from work in his Cadillac at times. I'm tiring of the expression on her resting face...like she is annoyed and/or smells something bad.

• Love 6

It was pretty funny when Abishola imitated her aunt in front of Bob. Slowly but surely, she is becoming more easy-going around him.

About the communication issues...I see where both of them were coming from. In every relationship, there are kinks that need to be worked out, for them it's how they exchange information. I thought Kemi did a good job of explaining things to Bob, she is a good friend.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

.husband abandoned her; she lives with her uncle and aunt with her son in a small apartment and has to take the city bus to and from work.

I suspect the living with the aunt and uncle and the bus riding are cultural things more than poor financial circumstances.  In many cultures, family will continue to live together. I also think that the bus is a result of her frugality and not the inability to buy a car. Although, according to a cost of living calculator I looked at, Detroit public transportation is more expensive than the national average. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I suspect the living with the aunt and uncle and the bus riding are cultural things more than poor financial circumstances.  In many cultures, family will continue to live together.

She also works long hours and has a son. He may now be old enough to be left alone, but Abishola is pretty strict and probably wouldn't want him left alone with the hours she works.

I am rooting for this series and am a fan of the actors.  However, the central premise of Bob and Abishola’s love is not gelling. There is not much chemistry between them. I like both characters, but the relationship seems so forced.  The side stories of the other characters work well and are funny. The title locks the show into the Bob-Abishola plot, so perhaps the show should just marry Bob and Abishola to get the dance over with and concentrate on other stories. 

• Love 9

Detroit public transportation is more expensive than the national average. 

It's actually free right now so the drivers don't have to have passengers near them. A Detroit bus driver died of COVID early on. 

The more troublesome thing about Detroit public transit is that it's not convenient. It runs erratically, and the city of Detroit is geographically very big so it's difficult to accommodate everyone. Plus the city has a separate system than the suburbs so it can be wonky.

I wonder if the show assumes Bob actually lives in Detroit

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Aw, I love Bob & Abishola together.  Part of it is I find the two very different cultures and how they are trying to mesh together fascinating. But I also like the other characters and situations, and find them fun to watch.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I suspect the living with the aunt and uncle and the bus riding are cultural things more than poor financial circumstances.  In many cultures, family will continue to live together. I also think that the bus is a result of her frugality and not the inability to buy a car. Although, according to a cost of living calculator I looked at, Detroit public transportation is more expensive than the national average. 

And Bob and Abishola already had the discussion that Olu & Tunde would live with them after they were married.

8 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Aw, I love Bob & Abishola together.  Part of it is I find the two very different cultures and how they are trying to mesh together fascinating. But I also like the other characters and situations, and find them fun to watch.

Me too. This show makes me laugh out loud several times during an episode. I do agree with others that there doesn't appear to be a passionate chemistry (like Mike had with Molly), but I like Bob and Abishola together. To me it's a more mature love based on liking the other person, not gonads. 

I agree with Bob that Kemi is annoying, but I thought her talk with Bob and how she went about getting him to realize he had to be more direct with Abishola was great.

3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I laughed at Abishola imitating her aunt and loved Kemi making Bob fold her underwear, heh. 

Rolling her underwear. :-)

I didn't care so much for Douglas's story line, but I like that they moved him to the floor so he could interact more with Goodwin and Kofo. Those two are great, but having them interact with basically just Bob was restricting. 

Speaking for me personally, one of the things I like is that this show is doing is exposing me to Nigerian names. There's more to names than just "Mary" or "John" or "Bob" (which I think is the point of the opening credits with all the names.

• Love 11

I enjoyed the episode. I do find Abishola rather rigid but like others, I do find her and Bob trying to navigate being together interesting. I did find Kemi annoying in the car, but thought the Bob/Kemi talk interesting and fun. I laughed at Aunty taking offense at Bob being stuffed or whatever it was that was said

• Love 7
16 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I am rooting for this series and am a fan of the actors.  However, the central premise of Bob and Abishola’s love is not gelling. There is not much chemistry between them. I like both characters, but the relationship seems so forced.  The side stories of the other characters work well and are funny. The title locks the show into the Bob-Abishola plot, so perhaps the show should just marry Bob and Abishola to get the dance over with and concentrate on other stories. 

I'm finding Bob and Abishola's story boring anymore and frankly, confusing.  Abishola made a vague reference to Bob in the car that suggested that they were physically intimate with each other even though they didn't live together.  I was like, "Wait...what?  Have they had sex?" Are we supposed to assume that they are having sex regularly?   I had assumed that they were going on dates and that the extent of their physical relationship went no further than sharing a kiss goodbye.  Unless I forgot about something significant - which is possible because the show just ends up defaulting to them being at an arms length with each other even after making them get engaged.  It doesn't feel believable that they're having sex given what the show is showing the audience.  At least show them being more physically into each other, for chrissakes, this isn't Victorian England!

If Abishola winces at just the thought of sleeping in either one of their bedrooms because of family being around I can't imagine them ever having sex unless they rented a hotel room.  If they have done that the audience certainly doesn't know about it.  Talk about being direct, this show leaves way too much out to know what's really going on.  Also, I would think that any engaged couple would be at least thinking about how they would eventually live together but it's like they're 15 and not even ready to think about such things yet.  Abishola herself is a romance killer and I agree with those that don't like how Bob constantly gives into her like she's some kind of prize package.  It's getting really tiresome when it crosses over the line into pathological territory.  Plus with her rigidity, I'm not really seeing her as worth all that.  I think the show is going for some kind of outdated ideal of chivalry or something like that, but it's not going over as something endearing or inspiring, just something unsatisfying and off.  I feel like this couple is working according to relationship rules that expired decades if not a century ago.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

I was so horrified by Kemi wanting Bob to fold her laundry, until she showed why she did that and that she KNEW it was grossly inappropriate. I also like that, even though I would also find her annoying and would not be able to tolerate her lack of boundaries, Bob's mother was happy to just get in the hot tub with them. It's not all cultural differences. Some of it is just personality. I know plenty of people who are not Nigerian, who are more or less just like Kemi in that particularly irritating (to me) way!

I'm actually with Abishola on direct communication, but then you see that she doesn't use direct communication with her aunt and uncle, so that is also not just about culture, but also a bit more nuanced than that.

I was surprised that apparently Abishola and Bob are having sex, as was revealed by their conversation in the car. But I am fine with them telling us and not actually showing it. And I do kind of get why the lack of privacy makes it uncomfortable for her to sleep over together, but he can afford a hotel room, so that solves that, at least to some extent, for now.

I like this show more than I expected to. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I was so horrified by Kemi wanting Bob to fold her laundry, until she showed why she did that and that she KNEW it was grossly inappropriate. I also like that, even though I would also find her annoying and would not be able to tolerate her lack of boundaries, Bob's mother was happy to just get in the hot tub with them. It's not all cultural differences. Some of it is just personality. I know plenty of people who are not Nigerian, who are more or less just like Kemi in that particularly irritating (to me) way!

In my opinion most things about Kemi and Abishola are about them and their personalities and not cultural.  The two of them are direct polar opposites, which kind of proves it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

In my opinion most things about Kemi and Abishola are about them and their personalities and not cultural.  The two of them are direct polar opposites, which kind of proves it.

I don’t feel like I know enough about Kemi and Abishola‘s respective backgrounds to say definitively that their differences are just their personalities rather than cultural. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don’t feel like I know enough about Kemi and Abishola‘s respective backgrounds to say definitively that their differences are just their personalities rather than cultural. 

Well, I sort of meant that about qualities we have seen in both of them on the show, like Abishola being so unexpressive and standoffish, meanwhile Kemi wears her feelings on her sleeve and is an open book, or Kemi being pragmatic and opportunistic and Abishola being so rigid and full of "shoulds" and principles it hurts.  Many of the traits that have been discussed on the board as being possibly a cultural thing when it comes to Abishola are completely the opposite in Kemi (and also in Abishola's aunt and uncle) and they come from the same or similar culture.  So I would tend to rule those things out as being a cultural thing.  Of course she could be very culturally influenced while the rest are not, but I'm just going based on what's presented on the show.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was surprised that apparently Abishola and Bob are having sex, as was revealed by their conversation in the car. But I am fine with them telling us and not actually showing it.

Can you imagine how dreary sex would be with someone like Abishola that is so joyless and closed-off? Yeah, you wouldn't see that mating dance.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Can you imagine how dreary sex would be with someone like Abishola that is so joyless and closed-off? Yeah, you wouldn't see that mating dance.

Or maybe she's only "joyless and closed-off" in public.  She might really cut loose in the bedroom!  I believe Eddie Murphy referred to women like that as "shy, quiet, salad-eating [women]".

• Love 4
Just now, Browncoat said:

Or maybe she's only "joyless and closed-off" in public.  She might really cut loose in the bedroom!  I believe Eddie Murphy referred to women like that as "shy, quiet, salad-eating [women]".

That thought crossed my mind as well. It might be kind of funny if Bob made some kind of comment which confirmed that.

• Love 3

Abishola imitating her aunt was cute and funny. Its taking awhile but I think that Abishola is finally starting to loosen up a bit. I have rolled my eyes before at how much Bob has to change for Abishola, but this one didnt bother me as much. It was more of a cultural communication issue than Bob having to walk on eggshells around Abishola, which I thought was interesting. Some cultures tend to be very straight forward and considering not saying exactly what they are thinking to be rude, while other cultures are all about being extremely careful about what they say and how they say it and they consider just saying things right out loud to be rude, and it can lead to some real problems. I could really see where both of them were coming from this time. 

The bit with Bob at the pharmacy was really funny. "Your mother?" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
On 1/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, bad things are bad said:

I wonder if the show assumes Bob actually lives in Detroit

We know Dottie moved out of Detroit years ago during the big move, so I would bet Bob doesn’t live there. My head canon is that the factory is in Detroit and Bob lives in Grosse Pointe.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:22 PM, SmithW6079 said:

And Bob and Abishola already had the discussion that Olu & Tunde would live with them after they were married.

Either I missed or forgot about this discussion.  It must be too many weeks of reruns between new episodes . . . .  

• Love 1
On 1/6/2021 at 1:26 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm finding Bob and Abishola's story boring anymore and frankly, confusing.  Abishola made a vague reference to Bob in the car that suggested that they were physically intimate with each other even though they didn't live together. 

There was a brief scene a few episodes ago when Abishola invited herself over to Bob's after their date, and Bob (with genuine innocence) mentioned he wouldn't have time to take her home and she said, "I know." And that's fine with me. I'd prefer to not watch them freaking on each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 1/6/2021 at 1:26 AM, Yeah No said:

Abishola made a vague reference to Bob in the car that suggested that they were physically intimate with each other even though they didn't live together.  I was like, "Wait...what?  Have they had sex?"

I thought they did the deed at the end of the episode where Bob won the award for "Businessman of the Year". (S02.E03: Straight Outta Lagos)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Generally PDAs and love making on screen are tedious at best, which is probably why they usually mercifully cut away after we get the drift. But this show has been hiding physical intimacy almost like the audience viewers are the kids. I wonder if it is in part to not alienate viewers who might be as culturally reserved as is Abishola —— perhaps especially since Gina Yashere (Kemi) is a writer/story editor who might be more sensitive to audiences with more reserved sensibilities? Or maybe it’s just because it would feel like a betrayal to the character of Abishola. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 10:19 AM, joanne3482 said:
On 1/5/2021 at 5:18 AM, floridamom said:

.husband abandoned her; she lives with her uncle and aunt with her son in a small apartment and has to take the city bus to and from work.

I suspect the living with the aunt and uncle and the bus riding are cultural things more than poor financial circumstances.  In many cultures, family will continue to live together.

Or, Abishola living with her aunt and uncle may also, at least in part, be about her helping them financially. We don't know how long they were in the country before retirement age, how much time they had to work toward SS or save their money. No doubt her nurse salary helps them stay afloat, and in return, as someone above commented, they took care of her son during long work shifts.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just realized that at some point, once Bob and Abishola are married, Olu and Tunde and Dele will probably move in with Bob/Abishola and his mom. 

You are probably right!  Perhaps the show-runner will make a bet with the show-runner of The Conners to see how many characters they can stuff into a single house.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2