Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Tribes

raven
  • Start Topic

Holden and the Roci go on the hunt; Amos and Clarissa seek shelter on a devastated Earth; Bobbie and Alex fight a desperate battle; Marco makes Drummer an offer she can't refuse; Avasarala returns to a position of power.

Airdate 2021.01.05

Please keep your discussion to this episode only.  No book talk, thank you!

Oh Amos. “I need to get back to my crew” killed me. He was doing really well with Peaches. Getting her shoes, recognizing the dangers of when civilization doesn’t have to be civil anymore were such good choices. Him bringing up Holden and saying Holden wouldn’t have even entertained that idea while realizing what he did-wow. 

Drummer’s silent rage was a lot to see. I definitely think she put together that Naomi was on the ship. Wonder how long we have to wait to see her contact Holden. I think Drummer can rally Belters. I wonder if she can broker peace with Avasarala through Holden. Avasarala knows this is Marcos.

Speaking of, Avasarala gathering herself up was great. I’m glad her daughter was alive and on their way to Luna. Between her and Drummer, I don’t know who I’d rather see on the warpath.

Bobbi holding the ships together was my favorite part of her and Alex’s scenes. She is such a boss.

What was the point of Holden’s scene? I wish we were seeing him still trying to get a hold of the team.

• Love 8

So how long until the interim SG(not bothering to learn his name) resigns and begs Avasarala to take over? Dude is clearly completely out of his depth. I give it two episodes.

Also what was interesting to me is that Amos and Peaches were walking through Northern Ontario forest that was burned out by forest fire in the past 5-10 years. We had a patch of it just outside town back home. Its funny seeing something so familiar presented as alien. I also liked the line about it being a replanted forest since that looked nothing like the Chesapeake bay area. I actually thought we were seeing Holden's folks in Montana when they first zoomed in.

TLS does have some humanity left after all. I think what really bothered Marco is that Phillip was reminding him of Naomi. Phillip is his mothers son too and Marco hates the idea that Phillip isn't actually just an extension of himself. That's the trouble with narcissistic parents they often make warm deeply involved caregivers but the second the child exerts independence and tries to break free they shut it down brutally. See also Smurf Cody.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Oh, how much did I love that scene of Avasarala reaching for her armour jewelry!!!

The confrontation between Marco, Cyn and TLS was intense but I'm not sure how much longer Cyn will remain alive. Seeing his two father figures going at each other did clearly rattle TLS. Enough so that he let Naomi know that the Roci was safe. Dude has no poker face which Drummer also noticed. And Drummer knows damn well now that Naomi is on that ship. I can't wait for Karal to meet her well-deserved fate - preferably via Airlock. 

I'm glad they finally brought up how much the Belt was still relying on Earth for produce. When Marco was shilling that grand design to solve the problem within 10 hard years I was afraid Drummer was going to hurt herself from the effort to hold back a gigantic eye-roll. But the following discussion was interesting - it really showed how screwed the Belters now are. 

Amos and Peaches lost in the woods was slow but gained momentum - and just when you thought they had scored a big win the devastating blow was delivered in that final scene when they both admitted that what they had done was not what 'good people' would have done. Amos talking about Holden in that moment also made clear why Holden was not much in that episode.

Holden's only interesting scene was when he stared at the screen with Naomi's unread message for the worst case scenario. He was probably wondering whether he should read it now since he rightly assumed TBS would have her killed for saving the Roci.

Alex and Bobbie did not have much screen-time but they sure made the best of it. They are a great team or as Amos would put it 'a tribe of two'. As an aside: I really loved the symbols on the Razorback illustrating the history of aviation - I had not noticed them before.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Damn, Bobbie took a page out of the "Captain America holding a helicopter down" playbook!  Sure, some of it was the special armor helping her out, but that was still pretty badass.  Liked how she and Alex were able to thwart their attackers for good (?), and I'm curious where they will go from here.  Hopefully reunite with some of the other team members soon.

Drummer's meeting with Marco went the way I figured it would, and I don't blame her for throwing in with the Free Navy for now.  Since I don't trust a word that comes out of Marco's mouth, I think there is a good chance he was lying about being willing to "let them go in peace", and would have probably killed them; or at least Drummer; had they refused his offer.  Hopefully Drummer will play nice for now, but will take the opportunity to mess him up, once an opportunity arises (that won't put her and her family into too much danger!)

Then again, it was also nice seeing the likes of Cyn and Filip himself starting to question and even challenge Marco, and not backdown.  I worry that this means that Cyn is probably a dead Belter walking, but it was refreshing seeing Marco's intimidation fail to keep his underlings at bay this one time.

The stuff on Earth was a bit slow, but some nice character moments for both Amos and Clarissa, and both Wes Chatham and Nadine Nicole delivered on all fronts.

Not much of Holden here, but I'm already preparing to be amused over him being stuck with Bull, Monica, and their likely bickering for the time being.  I know Monica can be a bit much, but I kind of love her (a lot of it is admittedly due to Anna Hopkins.)

At least Chrisjen's daughter and grandchildren are alive, but I have a bad feeling about Arjun.  Shohreh Aghdashloo was fantastic as always.  I actually kind of like the new Security General who is clearly out of his element, but actually seems to know this, and is willing to listen and be advised by those who have more experience than he does.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he officially hands to reins to Chrisjen (or someone else) by the end of all of this.

• Love 6

This season is really exploring new sides of our heroes. We started with seeing the builder, retired warrior, side of Fred in episode 1. Then we saw a vulnerable Drummer; now we see a nurturing side of Amos’ protection of Peaches. She nudged him to eat the candy bar (so sweet), and prodded his conscience. Nice to see behind all the human stealth technology, like the pieces of Rock #9.     

There was a moodiness to the episode that played against the lack of action

I’m glad Cyn took Naomi’s words to heart and stood up to save Filip from matricide.

Bobbie and her jail broken Goliath armor saves the day! (Doors, corners, and right out in the open, she’ll get ya). We’ve seen Gunny rip the arm off a piece of armor before in a Martian bar so I guess she knows how to fix hers.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I actually kind of like the new Security General who is clearly out of his element, but actually seems to know this, and is willing to listen and be advised by those who have more experience than he does.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he officially hands to reins to Chrisjen (or someone else) by the end of all of this.

Does she want to be Queen? I thought she preferred being Errinwright, the puppet master to the SG.

• Love 1

Drummer clearly has far greater restraint than me, because I would have been very tempted to slug the smirk right off of Marco's smug face, especially when he was practically laughing about killing Fred and Ashford, but I guess that's why she is probably going to be the one to rally the Belt against Marco and take him down, really creating change for the Belt instead of this stupid plan of Marco's, instead of me. Marco has every sign of being a sociopath, or at least a severe narcissist. He can be very charismatic and has a surface kind of charm, but the second things stop going his way or he is questioned at all, that charm disappears and he becomes angry, violent, and petty, even towards his own son. Of course he conveniently forgot to mention how Naomi helped save the universe to Filip, didn't really fit his "your mom is a traitor bitch who loves the icky inners" narrative. I am glad that Cyn is apparently taking Naomi whacking him on the head in stride, and even saved her and stood up to Marco. I can see him having a change of heart, and possibly Filip might even follow, he seems to be getting more interested in talking to his mom and is wasn't thrilled about being on his dads bad side, even being tasked to murder his own mother. 

Bobbie and Alex out in space getting into some action was a nice bit of excitement in the midst of the more heady character stuff going on elsewhere. Bobbie is such a badass, I cant wait to see her fully unleashed soon. 

Just when the Amos and Clarissa hike in the woods was starting to feel pointless, we get the great ending where Clarissa said that she didn't think they were doing good things here and how much she struggles with what she did, and Amos realized that he had to get back to his crew to get back on the straight and narrow. Poor Amos, he tries so hard to be a good person (or at least not a bad one) and has been doing so well to do right by as many people as possible since coming to Earth, but now he can feel himself slipping from the path after being separated from Holden, the rest of the crew, and other people who can keep him from making bad choices. Wes Chatham is just so good, you could really feel his brain going into overtime as he said that Holden wouldn't have approved of them killing the guy they tried to trade with and realizing that he had to get back with his crew as soon as possible. 

I am so glad that Chrisjen's children and grandchildren are alright, but I fear that Arjun might not have been so lucky. I liked the new Security General, he is clearly still shocked and overwhelmed and probably very out of his depth, but he seems to be trying to step up and is very willing to listen to people who know what they're talking about, and is making a very smart move bringing Chrisjen in right away. Of course I also suspect that he might hand the reigns to her completely, which would also probably not be a bad move. 

Holden must be wondering how he always ends up in these snarky odd couple style team ups. Of course, his whole crew is basically a snarky rag tag misfits style team up, so he is probably used to it by now. 

• Love 7

That survivalist was trash, but can I be honest for minute and say when he made Amos strip down, the man was doing God's work?

God, Wes Chatham is one big, sexy reminder that I'm a one on the Kinsey scale.

Chrisjen crying is hard to watch. I'm so used to her being calm and put together. I hope the new Sec puts her to work on saving the system.

If they're trying to humanize Filip, it's not quite working. But for Naomi's sake, I'll keep an open mind.

Speaking of Naomi, Drummer is going to go ballistic when she finds out she's on Marco's ship being held prisoner.

Edited by steelyis
Punctuation
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
On 1/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, SnoGirl said:

Speaking of, Avasarala gathering herself up was great.

An entire scene without a single F Bomb! This is Avasarala at her most vulnrable, Shohreh Aghdashloo was great in this scene.

UN Guy is in a similar situation as President Laura Roslin of Battlestar Galactica or even Tom Kirkman of Designated Survivor, an assumeing person who is thrust into leadership.

Wes Chatham stripped to his undies: Damn

Edited by marinw
  • Love 14
22 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As an aside: I really loved the symbols on the Razorback illustrating the history of aviation - I had not noticed them before.

I didn't realize this until you said it then I went back to confirm. I love these subtle world building easter eggs!

Drummer knows that Marcos killed Fred, right? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cdnalor said:

Didn't Alex dump the Razorback's core last episode?  What were they using to power the engines?

Dumping core is not dumping the engine; it's just basically what is burning inside the reactor at that moment. After dumping core, you can restart the reactor (assuming that you still have fuel). It might take a few minutes, but it's doable.

I loved this episode; it was quiet but tense throughout. Amos & Clarissa make for an odd couple, but a very compelling one. I can totally get what they see in each other, and Nadine Nicole is doing a fabulous job of playing Clarissa/Peaches v2 (Vulnerable Edition). Given that she is now appearing in the main credits, I'm presuming that she will continue to be on the show, and I'm looking forward to that.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 1/6/2021 at 12:27 AM, MissLucas said:

I'm glad they finally brought up how much the Belt was still relying on Earth for produce.

Ganymede's destrction had ramifactations that are still being felt.

The Belters need to find good soil on the other side of the gate. Perhaps they can send robot down to harvest the soil if they can't handle the gravity.

• Love 2

Marco's "a decade of lean times" was a very telling statement. It's too bad he doesn't have a mustache to twirl. I would have preferred he had not even thought of the ramifications than to have just ignored them. Better villain that way.

They are laying seeds for the redemption of Fillip. I honestly don't see how they can do that. Too many deaths directly on his head. 

I thought Clarissa was overly mean to Amos. I don't know he would have killed the guy given the chance. But he was going to steal from him at a minimum, and she did have a point. So does he -- he needs to get off Earth as soon as he can. 

I have no idea what Alex stole or how he stole it. Or maybe he just planted a bomb and they had a backup core? That was a really hand-waved solution to a very big problem, it seemed. I assume the ship that was docking with them was one of the ones that fired on them; otherwise, that's also horrific to just kill salvagers who happened by, and then blow them up. 

And has Holden tried to reach him? It's always neat to be reminded the Roci is a ship built for a much bigger crew than what we're used to. 

Edited by whiporee
1 hour ago, whiporee said:

I have no idea what Alex stole or how he stole it. Or maybe he just planted a bomb and they had a backup core? That was a really hand-waved solution to a very big problem, it seemed. I assume the ship that was docking with them was one of the ones that fired on them; otherwise, that's also horrific to just kill salvagers who happened by, and then blow them up.

I think he just planted a bomb. The razorback didn't need anything from them. As posted above they could restart the drive as long as they had more fuel left. But I was also confused about what ship this was. At first I thought it was Ashfords old ship and was excited for Bobby and Drummer meet up. But now I'm assuming it was one of the Belters which were part of the pickup of the Martian freigthers. They must have followed the ship after they aveded the torpedo. It was kinda confusing I think.

I liked the episode. Had a heads up it was going to be a slow one so I wasn't waiting for some huge plot twist. My only complaint was there's too much Marco. I don't find him a compelling character, the way you sometimes love to hate the villains, and Filip is beyond redemption. I also don't feel any sympathy for Cyn who went along with killing millions but now feel bad about killing one person, just cause he personally care about her.

Anyways I liked everything else. I'm curious where Amos and Peaches plot will end up to. Will there big some big struggle in Baltimore for them to get through. And will Amos bring Peaches with him into space somehow. I doubt Avasarala has time to take his call.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I
I liked the episode. Had a heads up it was going to be a slow one so I wasn't waiting for some huge plot twist. My only complaint was there's too much Marco. I don't find him a compelling character, the way you sometimes love to hate the villains, and Filip is beyond redemption. I also don't feel any sympathy for Cyn who went along with killing millions but now feel bad about killing one person, just cause he personally care about her.

I agree on both points. Also, Filip’s gradual change of heart seems rather abrupt considering how angry and cold he’s been to Naomi. What facilitated his sudden desire to want to sit down and have a civil chat? Did I miss a scene that would explain what appears to be his melting heart towards his mother? I did find think her words to him about Marco were foreshadowing, when she said he wouldn’t die for him. I suspect we’ll get an episode later in the season when a scenario arises that validates Naomi’s assertion. 

Anyways I liked everything else. I'm curious where Amos and Peaches plot will end up to. Will there big some big struggle in Baltimore for them to get through. And will Amos bring Peaches with him into space somehow. I doubt Avasarala has time to take his call.

I definitely think there will be trouble awaiting them in Baltimore. I don’t think that scene where Erich told Amos not to return to his city was there for nothing. 

Were my eyes fooling me or is Drummer’s lover also sleeping with one of the male crew members?

This episode was pretty slow, but went by very fast. Actually this season has been kind of slow as a whole. We only have 4 episodes left in the season so hopefully things will pick up next episode. Even though I still don’t think that’ll be enough for us to avoid a major cliffhanger at the end of the season. Most episodes this season have been more character focused than plot. They’ll have to do a lot to move things along before episode 10. So we’ll likely be left hanging until season 6. 

20 minutes ago, Enero said:

Were my eyes fooling me or is Drummer’s lover also sleeping with one of the male crew members?

Yes she was but I remember some comments on a previous episode talking about Drummer's crew/family being poly-amorous. Can't say I had noticed but if that's the case then it's not a big deal, if not it might point to future trouble.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Enero said:

What facilitated his sudden desire to want to sit down and have a civil chat?

I was wondering if he was planted by Marco - Filip asks about the Behemoth and then we cut to Marco, watching and listening to them.  Then Marco shuts off the live feed (maybe it was recording?) to look at the rings.  I was thinking Marco had sent Filip in to get info from Naomi on what happened at the rings.  Marco talked about things being tough on the Belt for a decade; that doesn't mean he wants things to be tough for himself personally.  He may want to head to the rings.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:27 PM, MissLucas said:

Oh, how much did I love that scene of Avasarala reaching for her armour jewelry!!!

I loved this too.  The whole scene was terrific, with her putting herself together emotionally. 

Clarissa's poem made me recall Amos's statement that he hasn't been afraid since he was five years old:

“I have killed, but I’m not a killer. A killer is a monster, and monsters aren’t afraid.”

I could just see the wheels turning for Amos - thinking "am I a monster?"  Aw, Amos.

I'm going to enjoy Monica being on the Roci.  I like Holden but he needs a strong figure in the picture.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Avasarala, Bobbie, and Drummer.  Three formidable women ready to set things right.  Loved the scene with Chrisjen putting on her armor.  Chunky necklaces = Drummer's eyeshadow = Bobbie's armored suit.  Watch out.

Oh, Amos.  I'm glad Clarissa explained to him that what they did was not right and they are not good people.  You don't take just because you can.  Whatever the survivalist had planned he was no threat until Amos trespassed onto his property.  

That scene of nearly naked Wes was totally gratuitous.  I am shocked, shocked by that display. 

10 hours ago, Enero said:

What facilitated his sudden desire to want to sit down and have a civil chat?

Filip is very young.  Like 15 if I remember correctly.  He was brought up thinking his mother was an unfeeling betrayer, yet on meeting her he found she was very different than what he expected.  Then he meets Drummer, introduced as Naomi's good friend (how can she be all bad if she has important Belter friends?), who tells him that his mother is a hero.  It's no wonder he is confused and wanted to learn more.

Bringing Drummer into the TBS's storyline might make it more interesting, especially if she's the one to take him out.  Along with the woman who is now on her ship.

The new Secretary General, the last remaining cabinet official, was on a field trip when everything went to hell.  Where have I heard this before?  (/rhetorical)

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Filip is very young.  Like 15 if I remember correctly.  He was brought up thinking his mother was an unfeeling betrayer, yet on meeting her he found she was very different than what he expected.  Then he meets Drummer, introduced as Naomi's good friend (how can she be all bad if she has important Belter friends?), who tells him that his mother is a hero.  It's no wonder he is confused and wanted to learn more.

This - plus the fact that he's now seen several times how much Cyn cares for Naomi. Given the little we have seen of Filip it's clear that Cyn is his most important attachment figure. He might think it's TBS but I'd wager a bet that his emotional attachment to Cyn is stronger (and a lot less ambivalent) than the incredibly twisted knot of emotions he harbors for TBS.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The new Secretary General, the last remaining cabinet official, was on a field trip when everything went to hell.  Where have I heard this before?

They should have asked Kiefer Sutherland to take the part.

• LOL 4
14 hours ago, raven said:

I was wondering if he was planted by Marco - Filip asks about the Behemoth and then we cut to Marco, watching and listening to them.  Then Marco shuts off the live feed (maybe it was recording?) to look at the rings.  I was thinking Marco had sent Filip in to get info from Naomi on what happened at the rings.  Marco talked about things being tough on the Belt for a decade; that doesn't mean he wants things to be tough for himself personally.  He may want to head to the rings.

That's an interesting idea and seems plausible to me. What if it ends with Marco and Filip escaping through the rings and disappearing? Or maybe just Filip. Then he'll be a Schrödingers son to Naomi. Neither alive nor dead. 

Drummer needs to teach Alex how to get info from an adversary. The way she found out that Naomi is near them is all I expect from her

5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Avasarala, Bobbie, and Drummer.  Three formidable women ready to set things right.  Loved the scene with Chrisjen putting on her armor.  Chunky necklaces = Drummer's eyeshadow = Bobbie's armored suit.  Watch out.

Queens of Earth, Mars and the Belt!

Isn't Drummer the one to take Fred's position in Tycho? She seemed in charge even when Fred was there.

The way Peaches awoke (Timmy) Murder Snuggles conscience is a nice insight as to how Naomi and he became so close before Season 1 began.

I have a bad idea: Is Filip a pilot? Like maybe for a certain gunship that's about to lose it's pilot, maybe?

Edited by Eulipian 5k
Peach Melba
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/7/2021 at 10:16 AM, marinw said:

I also want to say that the visuals this season are as stunning as ever, both beautiful but also very real-looking and lived in.

I noticed that in particular the exterior shots of the Roci were very nice, longer and more detailed.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1
On 1/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, Enero said:

Also, Filip’s gradual change of heart seems rather abrupt considering how angry and cold he’s been to Naomi. What facilitated his sudden desire to want to sit down and have a civil chat?

Well he saved her for one thing, brought her to the ship. Clearly had some romantic notion she'd join them. So it's not entirely sudden. He's a typical petulant teen with Mummy issues when he's not being a typical petulant teen with Daddy issues.

But it was Cyn (sorry I don't remember his name) standing up to his father that gave him the shock to the system he needed. Remember that Naomi said to him that his father "wouldn't die for you but would ask you to die for him" and then when Marcos asked him to throw his mother out an airlock, someone finally brought attention to the fact that his father could have done it himself but was trying to get him to do it as a power play. All of that combined with seeing a respected Belter woman being friends with his mother and talking about her saving everyone's lives has shifted his perspective enough that he's willing to talk to her. I still think he's an annoying little idiot and a murdering POS but it worked for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, AudienceofOne said:

Well he saved her for one thing, brought her to the ship. Clearly had some romantic notion she'd join them. So it's not entirely sudden. He's a typical petulant teen with Mummy issues when he's not being a typical petulant teen with Daddy issues.

But it was Cyn (sorry I don't remember his name) standing up to his father that gave him the shock to the system he needed. Remember that Naomi said to him that his father "wouldn't die for you but would ask you to die for him" and then when Marcos asked him to throw his mother out an airlock, someone finally brought attention to the fact that his father could have done it himself but was trying to get him to do it as a power play. All of that combined with seeing a respected Belter woman being friends with his mother and talking about her saving everyone's lives has shifted his perspective enough that he's willing to talk to her. I still think he's an annoying little idiot and a murdering POS but it worked for me.

Very good points. Dammit. Am I going to end up liking the mass murdering little twerp?

• Love 1

Okay this episode is giving me flashbacks to the TV show Outlander and the Scottish history it depicts.  

Spoiler

There is an episode in that show when, during the Jacobite Rising of 1745 (a doomed rebellion by the Scots against their English overlords) the heroic lead discovers that his name has been signed -- without his knowledge or consent -- to a document declaring his loyalty to "Bonnie Prince Charlie" and stating his intention to take up arms against the British crown.  After that happens the hero has no choice.  He has to join the rebellion.

Marco is basically pulling the same stunt with Drummer.  He "invites" people to join his rebellion by making it impossible for them to say no.  Neutrality is not an option.  I presume the dynamics of urban street gangs are similar: join or else.  

If I hadn't already developed a healthy hatred of Marco due to his abuse of Naomi I'd hate him for manipulating my girl Drummer in that way.  

(Also he looks like cross between an Italian gigolo and the lead singer of a Emo band and I genuinely can't stand the sight of him.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Marco is basically pulling the same stunt with Drummer.  He "invites" people to join his rebellion by making it impossible for them to say no.  Neutrality is not an option.  I presume the dynamics of urban street gangs are similar: join or else.  

Marco is the Daenerys Targaryen of this show.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1

Another fabulous episode, although I'm wondering how everything is going to be resolved in the final four episodes.

Filip is incredibly thick.

If I have any criticisms, I find it odd that no one seems to be talking about how Mars may want to retaliate against the Belt or how Earth may want to retaliate against Mars and the Belt considering Mars gave the Belt all sorts of weapons. I know Earth are still reacting to everything, but I don't think Marcos has given Mars a mention? Wow does this paragraph have a lot of Ms in it :p.

• Love 3

Phew, for a second I thought we were finally rid of Alex.

Marcos is stone crazy. Wonder how long it'll be before Filip has to kill him. I see a Shakespearean end for Marcos.

"There are ways that you can live a good life without being a good person." That was a generous way of Amos to put it in reference to what was done to him as a child.

Meh, sometimes good people have to do bad things to survive worse things. I think Clarissa overreacted. But I guess we needed Amos to get motivated to get back to his crew and guilt was a quick starter.

• Love 2

I love the bond between Amos and Clarissa shown in this episode. It's one of the things I enjoyed most about season 5. I liked their talk about Clarissa's "I am not a monster" prayer and how they are not good people. At first, their friendship seems strange, but then the more they interact, the more natural it seems.

• Love 3