Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/07/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

My feeling is that she will try to do what she can to convict the bad actors in this administration and then run for Governor.

I'm thinking much  higher - depending on who is President in 2024. But we're totally on the same page as to how she responded. She chose her words very carefully, but said an awful lot between the lines.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Personally, I completely agreed with Sara about Perdue not showing up for the debate. Why are you in this job if you don't want to answer to the people who put you there? One of the few times Sara actually made a comment that hit the bull's-eye.

I agree with her, too, and as I said in my original post - when a candidate doesn't show up for a debate with their opponent, they will face the consequences later on.

However, Sarah saying  'if you don't show up for something at any other job you're fired' is completely untrue, as I pointed out. If you're a union employee, you follow the perimeters of your contract. If you're an 'at will' (non-union) employee, you follow the perimeters of the job description you were hired for. That's all.  To go out of the perimeters of either, it must be 'mandated' by your employer, and you're compensated. If it's not mandated, it's voluntary - such as this debate - and you can't be fired if you choose not to participate.

The show has made a huge error in not clarifying this so far, and providing wrong information to their viewers.  I expect better of them. I expect better of Sunny (our legal eagle) not to have corrected Sarah on the spot.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

In the 90s there was so much coverage of their marriage/divorce with each side feeding information to the media.

I do know after Diana's death and especially after her children were much older there was a concerted effort to make Charles and Camilla more palatable to the people of England.  He was/is going to be king and he wanted Camilla by his side no matter what.

Was Diana a saint? No.  Was Charles a horrible person? No. Lousy husband absolutely.  I think what some people forget is members of royal families (and all celebs for that matter) are human beings. They have the same flaws and emotions as everyone else.

Oh Charles definitely made a concerted effort to convince the world that Camilla was the love of his life, regardless of the fact that she wasn’t even his only long term mistress - but that wouldn’t have redeemed Charles, right?

He also made a big deal of having Camilla use one of his lesser titles, Duke of Cornwall, so as not to trigger the Diana fans with a POW title. He’s also announced Camilla would never become queen consort, although most no longer believe him. 

It’s believed that Camilla was more a maternal figure for him, as he had a cold, distant mother*, and Camilla’s role is to coddle and indulge him. 

The BRF is a cold, dysfunctional family, where a child has to call a parent’s secretary to make an appointment to visit mom or dad. While Diana also came from a disturbing childhood*, her response was to desperately need attention and adoration. Not a good mix.

*There is a famous picture of the months-gone queen greeting 3 y/o Charles with a hand shake. 

*Diana was the disappointing third daughter when a male heir was required. Diana’s mother left Earl Spencer (there’s rumors of spousal abuse) to run off with a married man when Diana was six, and lost custody of the children. Diana was later said to push her step-mother down the stairs. 

Mods please forgive, Sorry for the extremely long post. The current white-washing of Diana in The Crown is a little irritating, and unfair to the people negatively affected by her actions.  And Sunny’s simplistic response - infidelity is evil - inspires a more nuanced view. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

And Sunny’s simplistic response - infidelity is evil - inspires a more nuanced view. 

When I heard Sunny say that I thought wait a minute. Isn't she the one who said she would forgive Manny if he cheated and not divorce him?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

When I heard Sunny say that I thought wait a minute. Isn't she the one who said she would forgive Manny if he cheated and not divorce him?

I thought she said she’d kill him. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

And Sunny’s simplistic response - infidelity is evil - inspires a more nuanced view. 

I was a bit irritated by Sunny 's stance that infidelity is the worst thing people could do.  Whoopie had to remind her that it was not the worst thing in the world.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6

After Sara's rambling response about Olivia what's her name's college admissions scandal,  I loved Ana's "I'm not going waste my time on that brat" response.

Edited by OnTime
  • LOL 9
  • Love 12
47 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I thought she said she’d kill him. 

I recall Sunny said she'd stay married to Manny regardless of what he did, but she certainly killed the birthday cake that one of his female office staff had the gall to give him.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
3 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I recall Sunny said she'd stay married to Manny regardless of what he did, but she certainly killed the birthday cake that one of his office staff had the gall to give him.

If there was infidelity I think Sunny would blame the woman her husband cheated with.  

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I recall Sunny said she'd stay married to Manny regardless of what he did, but she certainly killed the birthday cake that one of his female office staff had the gall to give him.

I remember that story! I wonder if Sunny reacted like way because she's experienced those female coworkers who get all suspiciously extra. It reminds me of a woman I used to work with. I always liked her and she was nice to female coworkers, but she went above and beyond for the men in the office. She'd often bake for them, bring gifts randomly, and the wives of one of the men did not appreciate it. I don't think this lady had any romantic interest in the men she'd spoil, but that she was a "man's woman" and loved attention from men. A lot of people thought she was strange but found her harmless. It was definitely noticed that she wasn't the most thoughtful or generous toward the females in the office. I can see a wife being like why the hell is this woman doing all this for my man?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

After Sara's rambling response about Olivia what's her name's college admissions scandal,  I loved Ana's "I'm not going waste my time on that brat' response.

So what?  Who cares?  (Wrong host?)

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I was a bit irritated by Sunny 's stance that infidelity is the worst thing people could do.  Whoopie had to remind her that it was not the worst thing in the world.

I don't know, it sounded more like self-defense coming from Whoopi since she's probably slept with many husbands... It's true that a person who's committed infidelity can be a good person despite that flaw, but at the same time I agree with Sunny that adultery is one of the cruelest things a person can do because it's done to the person who's supposed to be closest to you.

• Love 16
26 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't know, it sounded more like self-defense coming from Whoopi since she's probably slept with many husbands... It's true that a person who's committed infidelity can be a good person despite that flaw, but at the same time I agree with Sunny that adultery is one of the cruelest things a person can do because it's done to the person who's supposed to be closest to you.

You are correct in saying that about Whoopie because she has admitted that she had had affairs in the past and I am in no way minimizing how painful to be cheated on by your partner but Sunny comes off self-righteous when she goes off about cheating especially since she has said many times that she would not divorce Manny over it.. If cheating is not a deal-breaker for her why does she bitch about it in the first place.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Pearson80 said:

You are correct in saying that about Whoopie because she has admitted that she had had affairs in the past and I am in no way minimizing how painful to be cheated on but Sunny comes off self-righteous when she goes off about cheating especially since she has said many times that she would not divorce Manny over it.. If cheating is not a deal-breaker for her why does she bitch about it in the first place..

Sunny and I are basically polar opposites on this issue. For me a relationship is never the same after infidelity. I wouldn't ever cheat nor would I stay after being cheated on. BUT I am of the opinion that no it's not the worst thing to ever happen either. There are good folks who mess up, and I think there are lots of people who are cruel and disrespectful to their partners in other ways, but get all high and mighty because they haven't physically cheated. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Sunny and I are basically polar opposites on this issue. For me a relationship is never the same after infidelity. I wouldn't ever cheat nor would I stay after being cheated on. BUT I am of the opinion that no it's not the worst thing to ever happen either. There are good folks who mess up, and I think there are lots of people who are cruel and disrespectful to their partners in other ways, but get all high and mighty because they haven't physically cheated. 

Every relationship is unique and every situation  where infidelity occurs is different but I think a couple could overcome infidelity.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Every relationship is unique and every situation  where infidelity occurs is different but I think a couple could overcome infidelity.  

When Sunny says she wouldn't divorce Manny over infidelity then I assume she believes they would overcome it.  But when she says things like being an adulterer makes you evil she does sound self righteous.

• Love 4

Yeah I think it depends on the couple and circumstances. Sunny is interesting because sometimes she seems so threatened by other women, but then she's buddies with J.Lo who never gives being provocative a rest and has admitted she would forgive infidelity. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree with Sunny that adultery is one of the cruelest things a person can do because it's done to the person who's supposed to be closest to you.

My barometer says if you will do that what won't you do?

Old-fashioned, I know, but i think it says a lot about who you are. And "it" doesn't just happen. We're experienced adults here, we all know how many steps and decisions to continue occur before the end result. It never "just happens."

Sunny would make Manny's life such hell that divorce would be inevitable. Every relationshio lives and dies by its ground rules.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I still can't get over that Sunny actually said on today's show "For many African-American students, athletics is one of their only ways to get into college."

Is she kidding ?

Imagine if Meghan or Sarah had said this?  She'd be serving their heads on a platter.

Is that a direct quote?

• Love 1

This is the quote:

”For many Black children, being an athlete is one of the only entrances into college, And for Olivia Jade to try to take one of those legitimate spots from another athlete I just think is deplorable. And she didn’t address that.”.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I still can't get over that Sunny actually said on today's show "For many African-American students, athletics is one of their only ways to get into college."

Is she kidding ?

Imagine if Meghan or Sarah had said this?  She'd be serving their heads on a platter.

13 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Is that a direct quote?

3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is the quote:

”For many Black children, being an athlete is one of the only entrances into college, And for Olivia Jade to try to take one of those legitimate spots from another athlete I just think is deplorable. And she didn’t address that.”.

I heard her say it and I thought yes many African Americans are fortunate enough to have athletic skills to earn scholarships to colleges but the way Sunny said it made me cringe.    I don't know if she meant college is out of reach for African Americans because of their financial situation or not but in case she didn't know there  are millions of people of all races for which college is out of reach because of their financial situation.  But if she didn't mean because of lack of funds then I'm not going to guess what she meant.

• Love 3

Good for Whoopi pointing out that Russian interference *actually* happened, even if there was not enough evidence to definitively prove Trump's campaign committed conspiracy against the United States. And for Joy pointing out that it's a fact that he tried to solicit election interference in his favor via blackmailing Ukraine only a two years ago. The difference is there was a recorded phone call proving the latter, while there would have been no way to "find" a phone call between Trump and Russian officials after-the-fact.

Lord, that segment was a mess of over-talking though.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7

Credit where it's due, Sara didn't try to "both sides" this topic* and acknowledged that Hillary conceded the morning after even though she had more reason to contest the election and Obama met with Trump at the White House a week later.

* Which, honestly, I think she's usually given scripted R talking points by the show to read since McCain's not there rather than being allowed to give her genuine opinions.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I did not see the show today but how was it a mess.  The ladies have been doing the annoying cross talk thing for years now.  How was it even worst today?

It was awful today , like it was first time using whatever process they do. I’d think they’d have some relatively professional set up by now  

Whoopi has never been  to a drive in ?   My kids did the sheet on garage or just used garage door for whole family to watch a movie. 
I have to say going to a movie and a museum is up on top of list of things I miss most . 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, athousandclowns said:

It was awful today , like it was first time using whatever process they do. I’d think they’d have some relatively professional set up by now  

Whoopi has never been  to a drive in ?   My kids did the sheet on garage or just used garage door for whole family to watch a movie. 
I have to say going to a movie and a museum is up on top of list of things I miss most . 

Other talk shows have ironed out their kinks and are running smoothly.. The View should step up their game..

I too miss the movies, the libraries, museums, going to a restaurant, e.t,c.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

When my state and neighboring states shut down in March I missed libraries so much.  The library I frequent the most opened in June with curbside pick up which was great. They are now fully opened but items are quarantined for five days when they are returned.

I can live without going to restaurants.   And I haven't been to a move theater since 2015.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

When my state and neighboring states shut down in March I missed libraries so much.  The library I frequent the most opened in June with curbside pick up which was great. They are now fully opened but items are quarantined for five days when they are returned.

I can live without going to restaurants.   And I haven't been to a move theater since 2015.

I miss libraries the most and I find that I am buying too much books and I love technology but I draw the line at downloading a book.. I love having a physical book as opposed to a downloaded one..  I still have records CDS and cassettes that I refuse to get rid of.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2

I miss libraries the most and I find that I am buying too much books and I love technology but I draw the line at downloading a book.. I love having a physical book as opposed to a downloaded one..  I still have records CDS and cassettes that I refuse to get rid of.. 

I have only downloaded one book in my life and that was because it was part of a mystery series and that particular book was only available electronically.  I also like holding a book.  I missed the View doing their summer reading lists this year.  I always get good suggestions from them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Other talk shows have ironed out their kinks and are running smoothly.. The View should step up their game..

Me too. I wonder when life will be normal again. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I heard her say it and I thought yes many African Americans are fortunate enough to have athletic skills to earn scholarships to colleges but the way Sunny said it made me cringe.    I don't know if she meant college is out of reach for African Americans because of their financial situation or not but in case she didn't know there  are millions of people of all races for which college is out of reach because of their financial situation.  But if she didn't mean because of lack of funds then I'm not going to guess what she meant.

Sorry for the misquote (I was going by memory) but the meaning and intent is still correct.

And I interpreted this in a similar way - that Black children usually get into college via athletic skills, and not necessarily through good grades in high school and high scores on SATs.  Or as you said - they can't afford it, and the only 'scholarship' they can achieve is one via athletics, and not  academics.  So the white privileged students were taking their chance of getting into college away from the black students when they apply via athletic achievements.

Either way, it was rather demeaning, cringe-worthy,  and she managed to set the clock back 60 years.

As I said, if Sarah or Meagan had said this - there would be hell to pay. How I wish Joy or Sarah would have questioned her on that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

It is annoying, but let's face it: They're the #1 show in daytime television. Do they really need to step up their game ? 3M viewers say 'nope'. So the producers will leave it be.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LetsStartTalking said:

It is annoying, but let's face it: They're the #1 show in daytime television. Do they really need to step up their game ? 3M viewers say 'nope'. So the producers will leave it be.

They should never get complacent and strive to improve, just my opinion..

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

They should never get complacent and strive to improve, just my opinion..

I totally agree. But for now, they're coasting. Add their #1 rating with their recent Emmy win - and they don't seem to be worried, and they won't be until another show creeps up behind them.  Just my opinion.

• Love 3

Regarding yesterday's show and Sunny's...thoughts after talking to a "friend" which she found "interesting": Shut up, Sunny.

I laughed when Whoopi flipped it, telling her that she was agreeing with those that are saying Biden stole the election. And then Sunny quickly back tracked.

So, shut up, Sunny.

And Sara was also on point about the two situations not even being remotely parallel or the same.

And something else I've noticed since resuming watching this show. Whenever Sunny reads a legal note, she now looks at the camera like she's some moron and reads the note pedantically/sarcastically. Whereas in years past, she would read them more seriously, if that makes sense. Her tone implies she doesn't believe a word of what's being said. Now the notes from those that are laughable, I can understand, but those that aren't?

Shut up, Sunny.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Regarding yesterday's show and Sunny's...thoughts after talking to a "friend" which she found "interesting": Shut up, Sunny.

I laughed when Whoopi flipped it, telling her that she was agreeing with those that are saying Biden stole the election. And then Sunny quickly back tracked.

So, shut up, Sunny.

It really did sound like Sunny was giving credence to what her friends said.  I found it absolutely bizarre she was basically agreeing that thinking Russia helped Trump was the same as thinking Biden rigged this election.   I can only speak for myself but if I had friends that thought the way Sunny's friends think I would find new friends.

56 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And something else I've noticed since resuming watching this show. Whenever Sunny reads a legal note, she now looks at the camera like she's some moron and reads the note pedantically/sarcastically. Whereas in years past, she would read them more seriously, if that makes sense. Her tone implies she doesn't believe a word of what's being said. Now the notes from those that are laughable, I can understand, but those that aren't?

Shut up, Sunny.

I noticed it too.  I swear each day Sunny seems to be acting out of character.  The Sunny we are seeing at home doesn't seem like the Sunny we would see on the stage.

• Love 3

There’s no justice, is there?

About Sunny and the disclaimers, I think her sarcasm is because it seems like every day she has to read a statement like that. It’s kind of ridiculous that they can’t discuss any controversy without having to appease the attorneys with a disclaimer.  She should just say “deny, deny, yadda, yadda.”

Love Katie Porter. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 13