Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Other People’s Houses

• Start Topic

With Miranda on her tail and the FBI closing in, Cassie enlists Max in a plan that involves breaking and entering, computer fraud, and too much vodka. Meanwhile, Annie is forced to repay an ominous favor to a client, and Megan's secrets threaten to come to light.

Airdate: 3 December 2020

5 hours ago, skotnikov said:

I just like how each episode a person Cassie knows dies and she's always around.  

Is this true? I am drawing a blank. Could you provide proof that this is true, specifically episode 2 and 3.

Edited by kariyaki
Removed spoiler tags.
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

It was probably more of a status symbol/investment, every issue, never opened (mint condition).

It’s not so much the collection itself that I arch an eyebrow at per se as it is the chronological order organization and meticulous labeling. I mean, I have a baseball card collection that I keep in my closet but it basically sits in a shoebox.

• Love 1

Every man in this show is super sexy, Alex, Max and Buckley, but then they all die? what a waste! I hope Max is not dead, but it is not looking good for him. And I hope Buckley does not follow in his foot steps.

Annie is a saint for putting up so much with a friend like Cassie and wrecking her own life as a result, but I guess this kind of friends only exist in a fictional TV show. In real life, she probably had told Cassie to get lost long time ago.

Edited by showme
  • Love 2

Yikes, Annie really got herself neck deep in the shit. You'd think the guy in prison would have waited until he left the visiting area to take the pills! I was hoping he wouldn't die right there in front of Annie.

This show continues to delight me with their casting. I was already happy to see Daario, George from ER, and Rosie Perez, but now Scaramucci from Happy as Victor and Bebe Neuwirth as Annie's boss? Awesome!

I enjoyed Cassie and Max teaming up. He was genuinely so excited to tape together all those shredded documents because he loves solving a puzzle. I was one of the five people who watched Eyes a million years ago and one of the important things I learned from that show was ALWAYS HAVE A CROSS CUT SHREDDER! It's mind boggling to me that regular strip shredders are still sold because they're so useless.

I don't necessarily think that a person's house tells you everything about them, but Alex's apartment was definitely a cold bland place architecturally. But of course, that's balanced out by the baby polar bear and the plastic wrapped Playboy collection. My OCD loves organization but I was like bro, seriously? And why keep them in the closet? I mean, I don't know where else you would keep it, but it seemed really odd to have it next to his suits.

When Cassie entered Alex's apartment, I thought she was going to make some comment to Mind Alex about how his apartment either looked exactly like she'd seen it in her head or nothing at all like she'd seen it in her head, but nothing came of that.

Poor Sabrina. She didn't deserve to get tossed off a balcony. I noticed Michelle Gomez' accent peeking through a few times which I thought was odd because she's usually pretty good with an American accent, but later when she unleashed it full force I thought maybe it was a character choice earlier to show that she was losing her grip on her facade.

Even if Max isn't dead, Annie is going to be pretty mad that Cassie got him so involved that he was breaking into Alex's apartment. I guess she can't get too mad that he hacked into Lionfish since she asked him to do some hacking for her earlier.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I noticed Michelle Gomez' accent peeking through a few times which I thought was odd because she's usually pretty good with an American accent, but later when she unleashed it full force I thought maybe it was a character choice earlier to show that she was losing her grip on her facade.

Really? Because I heard that Scottish accent the second she opened her mouth. It’s not heavy, but it was there.

• Love 15

I'm enjoying this a lot. I just don't know if that's because I've watched everything else. Anyway, it's fun. KC is surprisingly good and I'm glad she spent some of that big pile of BBT money to produce this.

Am I the only person who thinks the role of Annie (the lawyer) is horribly miscast? The character is, supposedly, a mob lawyer and the actor tries to act tough but it's really laughably bad. In one brief scene when her assistant told her somebody couldn't get the video she needed and she (Annie) said something like "I'm going to need a different answer" I just laughed out loud. Like a little girl playing grownup. I wish they'd gone with someone like Rhea Seehorn.

Other than that I love the cast. Love Michelle Gomez and was thrilled to see her here. I wish they'd spend less time with Cassie and Dead Daario but I can ff thru that nonsense if I want.

I'm worried that we aren't going to get any definitive answers about what's going on with Rosie Perez' character. I'm worried that there will be a cliffhanger in anticipation of another season.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Am I the only person who thinks the role of Annie (the lawyer) is horribly miscast? The character is, supposedly, a mob lawyer and the actor tries to act tough but it's really laughably bad. In one brief scene when her assistant told her somebody couldn't get the video she needed and she (Annie) said something like "I'm going to need a different answer" I just laughed out loud. Like a little girl playing grownup.

I like Zosia Mamet generally, but I agree she's miscast here. This kind of tough, career lawyer working for dodgy people just isn't her.

• Love 5

Ugh, all these dead bodies for Cassie! They are really setting her up but are they? Our is she just crazy enough to keep getting herself into these situations - running towards danger. I'm worried that maybe she is doing all the killing but her brain is creating this whole narrative. 

I hope she picks up her Help Kitty flashdrive.

I liked the revelations about Cassie.  The way she saw the past and  why she wanted to be a flight attendant.   It had nothing to do with helping people like she claims.  Cassie is attracted to disaster.   

On 12/5/2020 at 9:24 AM, hatchetgirl said:

Ugh, all these dead bodies for Cassie! They are really setting her up but are they? Our is she just crazy enough to keep getting herself into these situations - running towards danger. I'm worried that maybe she is doing all the killing but her brain is creating this whole narrative. 

i think the episode eluded to it pretty well.  Cassie is attracted to danger.   It is likely that she does all these manic and dangerous things because she enjoys the rush.  It is another addiction in a slew of addictions that she has.   

I am pretty sure Cassie just lost Annie as her lawyer.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I think she will be OK since there was an FBI agent following her.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I'm worried about Buckley. He seems always there. Who is he? I think he's dangerous. 

Buckley is probably the guy that Victor hired to replace Miranda. He has to find the thing that Cassie took from Alex before he can harm her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Megan speaks fluent Korean. What is she, undercover for one of the alphabet agencies?

Alex was a hot mess. I wonder if he had lived if he would've ever brought Cassie to that apartment?

Megan is fast on her feet. Husband catches her acting shady in a seedy motel parking lot and she manages to turn it back against him.

Cool trick Annie pulled to smuggle those pills into the prison. Pretty sure I've seen that on several TV shows before. You'd think prisons would be wise to it now, assuming people still try to do that.

If Max is dead I think Annie might start rethinking her whole friendship with Cassie, not just being her lawyer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Cool trick Annie pulled to smuggle those pills into the prison. Pretty sure I've seen that on several TV shows before. You'd think prisons would be wise to it now, assuming people still try to do that.

I think that prisons would hold lawyers to a higher standard than someone who just walked in off the street.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, M.CoatesworthHay said:

I just signed up for HBO and binged the first five episodes on Saturday. I haven't seen this discussed in the other threads, but what's the deal with Annie's open living room shower? Is that a thing people do? 

I’ve seen open showers, my brother has one, but it’s actually in the bathroom, so you can’t see it from the front door when you walk in like Annie’s is, which yeah, WTF? I did think that was weird.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, M.CoatesworthHay said:

I just signed up for HBO and binged the first five episodes on Saturday. I haven't seen this discussed in the other threads, but what's the deal with Annie's open living room shower? Is that a thing people do? 

It is best way to keep guests from asking to use your bathroom.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 12/7/2020 at 8:45 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Megan speaks fluent Korean. What is she, undercover for one of the alphabet agencies?

Most airline require flight attendants on international flights to speak at least conversationally, if not fluently, in the language of the countries that they are flying to/from. One of my friends was a flight attendant right after college so she was able to get hired for flights to Paris because she still spoke French pretty easily. Before she could get on the Rome flights, she had to learn Italian and pass a language test. Since the airline that Megan and Cassie works for seems to do international flights to a lot of different countries, I didn't find it surprising that Megan spoke some Korean.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Damn auto correct
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

The woman whom Miranda/Elena called on the phone was played by Kaley Cuoco's sister, Briana. Briana is not nearly as natural of an actor as Kaley, so I hope this is the last we'll see of her.

I'm still enjoying this show, but it's just too much with almost everyone being so overtly shady. Ani and her "clients," Max and his lock-picking kit that he conveniently carries with him everywhere he goes, Megan and the espionage. It would be a better show if it were more subtle, IMO.

• Love 4
On 12/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, chocolatine said:

The woman whom Miranda/Elena called on the phone was played by Kaley Cuoco's sister, Briana. Briana is not nearly as natural of an actor as Kaley, so I hope this is the last we'll see of her.

Spoiler

We don't, she's in multiple episodes if her Instagram account is anything to go by.

No, not Max! I really enjoyed his enthusiasm for Cassie's crazy plans. Annie better watch her back, everyone around Cassie seems to die.

ETA, I really enjoy the background scenes and actors in this. There was a small bit when Cassie and Max ran into Buckley as they were on their way to the warehouse and the FBI agent who is tailing Cassie didn't realize they had stopped and ran up on them. He made a funny face behind them and darted away, which cracked me up. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2
On 12/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I liked the revelations about Cassie.  The way she saw the past and  why she wanted to be a flight attendant.   It had nothing to do with helping people like she claims.  Cassie is attracted to disaster.   

When she originally revealed that she wanted to be a flight attendant since she likes helping people, it struck me as very odd, since we really haven't seen that at all as part of her personality (other than a few on-the-job scenes early on).  This revelation rang true.  

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, zibnchy said:

Am I the only person who thinks the role of Annie (the lawyer) is horribly miscast? The character is, supposedly, a mob lawyer and the actor tries to act tough but it's really laughably bad. In one brief scene when her assistant told her somebody couldn't get the video she needed and she (Annie) said something like "I'm going to need a different answer" I just laughed out loud. Like a little girl playing grownup. I wish they'd gone with someone like Rhea Seehorn.

I think the casting was intentional.  They aren't trying to portray her as some high-powered mob lawyer.  She's an incongruous, unexpected, quirky mob lawyer, someone you would never think is a mob lawyer.  In court, they undoubtedly use that in their favor to be disarming.  When she said that line about needing a different answer, I don't think it was actually an order, like it would have been with a typical hard-nosed mob lawyer...I think it was more that the character was sort of wishful thinking.  IIRC, they've only talked about her representing the mob wives, so that may be the reason for the different type of personality.

• Love 10

I'm worried that we aren't going to get any definitive answers about what's going on with Rosie Perez' character. I'm worried that there will be a cliffhanger in anticipation of another season.

Yeah I don't see how they wrap this up in just three more episodes. Maybe if it were just Cassie's story but I still have no idea what's going on with Megan's. 

On 12/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Eh, for me, that's been the weakest point of this whole show so far.  That trick would have made sense if she were smuggling in tech, or something that would set off the metal detector.  She could have stuck an envelope with pills in her pocket or bra or shoe or anywhere on her person since she wasn't going to be personally searched and just had to walk through the metal detector.  Sewn into her coat, the pills still would have shown up as two little black oval objects on the x ray. 

Also, since the visit room wasn't physically being monitored it would have had cameras.  Conversations with lawyers can't be taped, but they'd certainly catch on video any attempt to pass something to a prisoner, as well as him opening the envelope and taking the pills. 

Oh, I really hope Max isn't dead.  And I'm on the fence about Buckley.  I'm hoping he's a red herring - someone we're supposed to think is a bad guy (since everyone is in on this somehow), but turns out to be just the guy she hooked up with at the bar.  'cause sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, ya know? 

And I have to wonder if Cassie's alias - Alessandra whatever - was on one of those passports Miranda was looking at...

• Love 2
On 12/3/2020 at 9:24 PM, showme said:

Every man in this show is super sexy, Alex, Max and Buckley, but then they all die? what a waste! I hope Max is not dead, but it is not looking good for him. And I hope Buckley does not follow in his foot steps.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, AnimeMania said:

Buckley is probably the guy that Victor hired to replace Miranda. He has to find the thing that Cassie took from Alex before he can harm her.

I agree that Buckley is not just coincidentally running into Cassie. But is he just a hired goon, or is he a serial killer too? What was the weird story he told her with with dead animals?

I can’t recall exactly why HeadAlex refers to Buckley as Cat Killer, but having watched a season’s worth of Criminal Minds, I have learned that serial killers start with small animals.   

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, hatchetgirl said:

I'm worried about Buckley. He seems always there. Who is he? I think he's dangerous. 

I wondered about him, as soon as he told that creepy story about the dead cats - that he played it off as someone else, but it might actually be him who enjoyed winning their trust, and then killing them. Ugh. 

I'm glad that Max was actually a good guy, and hope that he survives (although it isn't looking good - he was too helpful, so he had to go). 

• Love 3
On 12/8/2020 at 8:32 AM, kariyaki said:

We saw Cassie doing the arrival announcements in Italian when they flew to Rome.

In very poor, highly accented Italian, which was incredibly hilarious to me in that scene. 

I’m just getting around to watching this show but definitely enjoying it so far. KC’s got some good acting chops and is doing a wonderful job in this show. I didn’t watch Big bang theory but you can definitely see her comedic timing here. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, TimothyQ said:

In very poor, highly accented Italian, which was incredibly hilarious to me in that scene.

It made me wonder whether Kaley Cuoco did it badly on purpose, or whether her Italian really is that bad. She has an Italian last name, so if she grew up with Italian-speaking grandparents, I would have expected her to do much better.

22 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It made me wonder whether Kaley Cuoco did it badly on purpose, or whether her Italian really is that bad. She has an Italian last name, so if she grew up with Italian-speaking grandparents, I would have expected her to do much better.

I took it as being on purpose for comedic effect. I assume the production would’ve hired a coach had they wanted a more fluent spoken Italian. 

35 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I had Polish speaking grandparents, I don’t know Polish. It’s rather common for the ancestral language to go by the wayside.

• Love 2

First of all Ew with the baby Polar Bear to match (maybe) with the larger one at the Sokolov(e) home? 

I love Cassie's conversations with HeadAlex and him calling her on her shit (and her for calling him on his horrible activities)! However, I wonder if Cassie was being abused by her dad and that was their "special" relationship, which would explain a lot of things more than just the drinking. This reminds me so much of "In the Dark" where the main character is blind and a mess MUCH like Cassie (a lot of drinking & sex) and she gets herself and her friends involved into drug running drugs. And has a "Max" character. 

The flashback to the crash and why she decided to be a flight attendant was very good.

Annie drives me crazy. She's working for some type of mob and she's worried about being disbarred from Cassie's stuff? Sure, Cassie's worn out her welcome in many places, but Annie knows there's more going on.

• Like 2