Type keyword(s) to search

MTV Video Music Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Shouldn't this year have its own thread?

Ah yes, the VMAs. The one night a year MTV even comes close to pretending they still care about what made them famous in the place. I honestly have no idea, given that very fact, why they still have any relevance at this point, but against all odds, they do. *shrug*

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I believe the mods are trying to keep award shows to one thread per show instead of a new one every year. I sent a message to change the thread title.

Thanks for the heads up. Changed the thread title so that people don't get confused.

You know what I really miss? Real music. You know - the bands who actually play their instruments on stage and the singers who can actually sing. MTV and Muchmusic long ago stopped being "Music Video" channels. Someone here told me it was because of licensing/copywrite issues. Too expensive. So now it's all strange reality TV.

I miss rock and roll. And I don't get the obsession with Taylor Swift (who apparently cannot sing) and Beyonce and Miley "The Tongue" Cyrus and Ariana "Left Face" Grande et all. It must be because I'm old, but man, there is a reason most of the music I still listening to are bands/songs from the 90s, to many decades before.

I will say this - I'm dying to see the fashions of the guests. Saw a pic of Nikki Minaj. Yeah....

• Love 7

Maybe I'm in the minority but in regards to Miley, I couldn't imagine being proud of my daughter acting and dressing like that. Nor could I imagine acting like in from of my parents.

I am with you. I feel like all the stuff Miley does or wears is for attention. For some reason I can accept when Lady Gaga wears her various outfits, but with Miley it just appears that she is trying too hard. 

• Love 7

I am with you. I feel like all the stuff Miley does or wears is for attention. For some reason I can accept when Lady Gaga wears her various outfits, but with Miley it just appears that she is trying too hard. 

That's because Lady Gaga is a performance artist, Miley is just a country/pop singer who thinks any publicity is good publicity. In 40 years she'll be just like Madonna, acting like a 16 years old brat & still trying to shock people.

• Love 4

And the thing is, she doesn't have to do any of this. Miley is actually a very talented singer, when she sings the right song. 

And it's a shame that Ariana Grande is such an entitled, spoiled donut-licking brat, because she has a God-given talent, too.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

Rnadom thoughts:

Nikki Minaj...sucks. I mean, as a female MC, she's good if you're into rap/hip-hop and have followed her career. But I don't understand why we should give a shit. I don't.

It would've been good for Taylor to come out and interrupt Kanye's Video Vanguard performance, but I guess they had to get it in there.

I'm tired of BAPS Miley Cyrus and Amazing Technicolor Vagina. I'm tired of any Miley Cyrus, honestly. And why do I get the feeling Miley's breath stinks? I just get the feeling her breath smells like hot dog water and desperation.

Macklemore is trying to be Bruno Mars.

Damn, Demi is thick wit it. She's too good of a singer to do that kind of vamp, meandering non-singing, and she proved it when she freaked out at the end and unleashed that big, angry voice. Hey, Iggy. I thought they had ran your ass back to the Outback.

The Weeknd is actually not a bad looking guy, but you probably can't tell because he has fucking Cthululu or whatever his name is on his fucking cabbage. I think he's slightly overrated (he's your guy if you think Bruno Mars is too full of himself and you miss a little artsiness in your R&B left behind by Maxwell), but the weird 'do is working for him right now. I guess when he stops looking weird and starts looking like a normal handsome guy nobody will give a shit about his MJ-ish music.

Kanye is such an asshole. Why couldn't you bother dressing up for the event, Kanye? Fuck you.

Love you Tori. So glad to see you winning, baby. Pretty, talented, hard worker. I remember when she was on America's Most Talented Kid. And this song is fire. She just made all these motherfuckers look amateur. And did she just snap at the end? Alright then, heifer. It's a shame the chick from America's Most Talented Kid, American Idol, and YouTube was the best one of the night.

Justin Bieber. I wish he would've just stuck with Where Are U Now. That song is accidentally brilliant. This new one is a little too twee. He's...not a good performer. That was some whack choreography. And was he trying to make himself cry at the end, did he hurt himself for all the no-good-reason ass acrobatics, or was he just tired? Kind of makes you wish you appreciated N Sync back in the day.

Oh, and Taylor Swift. I have to give Taylor credit for the fact that she seems to try her best to not come off as a bitch. Like, it can seem a little annoying, but I think she really wants to be seen as sweet. And I bet she is for the most part. I don't follow celebrity gossip, but have there been a lot of behind-the-scenes stories about diva behavior from her? I know she has a feud with Katy Perry (I don't know how that started but I...can see why someone wouldn't like Katy Perry, so I don't blame her), but other than the fake-ass Twitter beef with Nikki Minaj, is she known for being stank like Ariana?

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 2

I have this on in the background and now remember why I haven't watched in years.

Miley if you have to keep telling us you are bad ass you probably aren't.

And whose idea was it to give Kayne a mic?   

Edited by tom87
  • Love 3

Funny, that is exactly how I feel. I also cannot stand Miley sticking out that tongue all over her face. No. Just no.

Ah, Kanye. I was waiting for your fuckery and you didn't not disappoint.

I had a chance to meet him a few years ago when he did a performance at my school. The thing is... and this may not be true now but he's actually WAY more shy in person and not that great of a public speaker but he is very insightful so idk...

I haven't like anything he did since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy though.

• Love 1

Kanye is out his mind. Running for president in 2020 what a delusional loon.

Is Kim K carrying that new baby in her ass? What the hell, that is some serious scarey bad trunk junk.

Edited by mbaywife123
  • Love 6

Kanye is out his mind. Running for president in 2020 what a delusional loon.

Is Kim K carrying that new baby in her ass? What the hell, that is some serious scared bad trunk junk.

Edited by mbaywife123
  • Love 1

I'm sure that Taylor was sincere in congratulating Cube and O'Shea Jr. about the success of the movie but to me it comes off as pandering. Probably because I'm way over Taylor and am so sick of her and all the coverage of her.

Miley is just foul.

• Love 3

I'm sure that Taylor was sincere in congratulating Cube and O'Shea Jr. about the success of the movie but to me it comes off as pandering. Probably because I'm way over Taylor and am so sick of her and all the coverage of her.

Miley is just foul.

Miley is foul! No more political talk from me as I know it is frowned upon on this site!

Kanye's speech was insane.  From that non-apology to Taylor, to "listen to the kids!" to the artistry to Justin Timberlake crying because he lost all those years ago...just insane.  And lol at Taylor making the speech all about her.  

What was Kim wearing?  She looked like a camel.

Miley is the epitome of obnoxious.  Her whole shtick is tired and just feels like a desperate ploy for attention.  It's not sexy, charming, or cute.  Sticking out her tongue, smoking weed, throwing "idgaf" in every sentence...yawn.  Seriously, who cares.  No idea what she was singing in the end, but most of it was bleeped.  

Interesting that Kanye mentioned Millennials, because I am one and I didn't know who most of those people were.

• Love 2

Remember when the VMAs were less about attention seeking and more about music and music videos? To be fair, though, it's hard to have an awards show based on something that barely exists anymore on the channel in question.

• Love 8

This was like a big commercial for smoking pot.

No, the people who actually smoked pot  - bands and singers and all - would still be able to present a more interesting and engaging show.

Kanye is not a millennial either. He was born in '77, he's a Gen X'er.

Wait, what? Really? I didn't know that. Thought he was much younger than that. No wonder he's messed up and looks depressed and done with life all of the time and dresses like a comfortable slob (I am also a proud Gen-Xer and can totally relate).

• Love 3

Totally forgot this was on for about the first forty minutes. Just as well . . . I don't think I saw any of the winning videos. Actually, I'm pretty sure I've seen "Blank Space," but not "Bad Blood." Is that any good? Or is it more about Taylor and heartache again?

Kept watching to see if MTV would show a commercial for The Challenge. No such luck. I guess there's some stuff I can never outgrow. Oh, and Kanye West keeps bringing me back to how South Park poked fun at him twice. "Fish Sticks" was pretty funny.

I admit much of the night my attention was half on the tv and half somewhere else and I found it difficult to figure out what was show and what was commercial. Of course turning to the end of the baseball no-hitter didn't help, since I missed about a half hour including Kanye's speech.

Miley talks about how much she LOVES POT so much it reeks of a dumb kid who is desperately trying to make the older kids think she is cool.  She is the absolute worst and it really irritates me that she and her donkey braying voice keep getting a platform.  

Also, why does she think that I LOVE POT YOU GUYS!!!1!!!! is so edgy?  Increasing numbers of the population are on board with it being legalized.  You're not edgy, Miley.  Go take a bath.

Edited by carrier76
  • Love 8

I think I'm showing my age, but I remember when the VMA's were a big deal, and they could be shocking without everyone seeming like they were trying way too damn hard to be edgy. I actually forgot they were on and tuned in late, so I missed most of it.

I'm so bored by Miley. Again, showing my age here, but I remember watching Marilyn Manson perform the Dope Show in 1998, so Miley is going to have to come harder than that if she wants to be shocking and interesting to me.

• Love 6

Miley talks about how much she LOVES POT so much it reeks of a dumb kid who is desperately trying to make the older kids think she is cool.  She is the absolute worst and it really irritates me that she and her donkey braying voice keep getting a platform.  

Also, why does she think that I LOVE POT YOU GUYS!!!1!!!! is so edgy?  Increasing numbers of the population are on board with it being legalized.  You're not edgy, Miley.  Go take a bath.

She really grosses me out.  She also reeks of desperation whether its fingerbanging her girlfriend in public with her disgusting grimy fingernails, her Hello Kitty wardrobe. She needs to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

• Love 6