Type keyword(s) to search

Does Your Eyeball Unlock MTAC?

Ohmo
  • Start Topic

Can they/ dare they kill off a well developed character?  ( ten episodes, but ten good ones)

I went to the imdb for NCIS and compared the number of episodes that some of my favorite (and less favorite) actors had been in. 
I was shocked and appalled at how much I felt I knew about Mike Franks, about Eli David, about pretty much all of the old timers WHEN I compared the number of episodes Ellie has been in  and even how many the current three newbies have been in.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364845/fullcredits/

The newbies ....24 each

Twice as many as Mike Franks.  Twice as many as Trent Cord.  Gibbs' Dad 9 episodes, Abigail Boren and Ken Dornegat 6 each. Dr. Ryan 5 episodes. 

And many more with fewer than ten episodes who are still, in my mind, well painted characters. 

Ellie by the way 88, more that Caitlin, but I think we know Caitlin better. 

3 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

The newbies ....24 each

Twice as many as Mike Franks.  Twice as many as Trent Cord.  Gibbs' Dad 9 episodes, Abigail Boren and Ken Dornegat 6 each. Dr. Ryan 5 episodes. 

And many more with fewer than ten episodes who are still, in my mind, well painted characters. 

Ellie by the way 88, more that Caitlin, but I think we know Caitlin better. 

But all the newbies are regular cast members, while Franks, Cord, Ryan, Borin, Dornegut, Papa Gibbs were guest/recurring guest stars.

As for Ellie vs. Kate, well Kate was only on for one season, while Ellie...this is her third? fourth? season. So not really a fair comparison. Unless you mean these former characters, who only appeared in a handful of episodes- you knew better than the regulars?

32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Unless you mean these former characters, who only appeared in a handful of episodes- you knew better than the regulars?

I think that was the point - you've got all of these characters with limited screentime that we know so well and have such a large impact on the show, compared to the new regulars who have so much more screentime but who we know/care so much less about.

• Love 1
Just now, secnarf said:

I think that was the point - you've got all of these characters with limited screentime that we know so well and have such a large impact on the show, compared to the new regulars who have so much more screentime but who we know/care so much less about.

Ah got it! Just ignore my post above, @enoughcats! Clearly I am Dunce today!?

No problem.  Friday night and short of making a spread sheet (Not go'nna happen), I had problems explaining what I was seeing.  

I'd like to plot writers versus episodes and assign a quality of character development.......

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

No problem.  Friday night and short of making a spread sheet (Not go'nna happen), I had problems explaining what I was seeing.  

I'd like to plot writers versus episodes and assign a quality of character development.......

This may be unpopular, but I'd say that DPB had the best writers while he was showrunner, and that the show for me was at its best under his reign. Exception being introduction of Papa Gibbs, who came after DPB was ousted.

I have hoped that Tony would return to NCIS.  I just saw the ratings for last week.  NCIS was first and bull was third with a drop of 2million viewers from NCIS lead in.  Still enough to keep Weatherby employed elsewhere, darn it.

ACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Blind Item: Drama Series Poised to Whack Fan Fave — In Season Premiere

The producers of a popular series are looking to take a page from Annalise Keating’s killer curriculum.

Rumor has it that an hour-long drama series on one of the Big 5 broadcast networks is poised to kill off one of its most popular characters (an original series regular), while tacking on a time-tripping twist straight out of How to Get Away With Murder.

According to sources, if the storyline is approved by The Powers That Be at the network, the character in question would be murdered in the show’s forthcoming season premiere, at which point the action would jump back two months. Subsequent episodes would continue to chronicle the eight weeks leading up to [REDACTED]’s death all while dropping clues about the party — or parties? — potentially responsible for the shocking crime.

Oh, and to assist you in cracking this particular Blind Item, we went ahead and narrowed the field to nine shows. Yep, the series in question is included in the gallery to the right (click here for direct access). You’re welcome!

And yup, it's listed as a potential...

6 hours ago, betsyboo said:

ACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

And yup, it's listed as a potential...

I don't watch most of the shows listed, but of the three I do watch (NCIS, Supergirl, DS), I'd put my money on Designated Survivor. If any show needs a re-boot, it's that one.

NCIS's only options that fall into the category of "original series regular" are Gibbs (not happening), Abby (unlikely) or Ducky. They are teeing up Brian Dietzen to replace David McCallum, but this seems an odd way to do it.

Then again, if they are truly taking a page out of the HTGAWM playbook, we won't actually know who dies until the last episode of the arc.

• Love 2

TV Line: Ask Ausiello, August 2, 2017

Question: I’d love something (anything!) on my favorite McGeek. Are we going to get a time jump in the NCIS premiere? Or will we pick up right where we left off with Gibbs and McGee left behind to face the militants in Paraguay? —Karen
Ausiello: “We pick up where we left everybody off at the end of last season,” says co-showrunner Frank Cardea. “We flash back about that much, just to remind the audience that these two guys are in jeopardy and the world’s about to come down on them, and then we pick it back in Washington” two months later, with Gibbs and McGee still stuck in Paraguay! BONUS SCOOP: Assuming that McGee makes it out alive, Cardea said to expect an October baby for him and Delilah.

(I kinda wish I hadn't read it....)

23 hours ago, betsyboo said:

TV Line: Ask Ausiello, August 2, 2017

(I kinda wish I hadn't read it....)

Spoiler

The last scene in the finale doesn't really allow for any kind of 'take them prisoner' story, but rather the local military rescues Gibbs and McGee. Both agents stay in Paraguay working with officials to uncover who is buying the uranium from the rebels. We will never see the rescue. It doesn't seem likely that viewers will see much of Tim and Delilah's interaction during her pregnancy which is unfortunate. IMO.

Edited by VinceW

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/gallery/2017-returning-fall-shows/45/

During the summer hiatus, I have been watching old (seasons 1-3) reruns that are on when I get home from work. My initial impression upon seeing the photo in the article was "wow McGee looks older...and who the heck are all these other people?!" - Of course I recognized them, but it made me realize how much the team has changed and just isn't the same group of people that I enjoyed watching for all those years.

Then I read the article. Bishop is leading the team in the absence of Gibbs and McGee. Bishop is the most senior agent. And what team is this?! Her and Torres? Or is the British MI6 guy (Reeves?) also now part of their team?

The flash forward could be interesting, though.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, secnarf said:

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/gallery/2017-returning-fall-shows/45/

During the summer hiatus, I have been watching old (seasons 1-3) reruns that are on when I get home from work. My initial impression upon seeing the photo in the article was "wow McGee looks older...and who the heck are all these other people?!" - Of course I recognized them, but it made me realize how much the team has changed and just isn't the same group of people that I enjoyed watching for all those years.

Yep. I'm up to Season seven and as much as Ziva infuriates me, with her emasculating Tony, jealousy over him, and the out of nowhere brain transplant that happened at the end of season six, the team dynamic and chemistry was great. Not so much with all these newbies.?

15 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Then I read the article. Bishop is leading the team in the absence of Gibbs and McGee. Bishop is the most senior agent. And what team is this?! Her and Torres? Or is the British MI6 guy (Reeves?) also now part of their team?

Da Fuck???????

• Love 2

I was alright with the character of Bishop in the beginning -- bright, quirky young girl gets a chance at the big league, brings unique talents to the table. Now they are trying to make her out to be some kind of powerhouse that she just isn't. I could buy Ziva's kick-ass skills, because she'd seen things and done things. Bishop doesn't have the chops. She's made bad decisions, shown poor instincts, and has questionable relationship skills. That is not the kind of person who should be part of the team, let alone leading it. She might be the senior member of this particular team, but the other two seem to have more experience than she does. I don't think any of them can or should be in a leadership role.

• Love 5

I liked Bishop at first as well, but the minute they set up her husband cheating on her and setting her down the "daaaark" and angsty path, I stopped caring. And making her some badass? Please. Ziva was more believable because she was a Mossad agent-a trained killer. And Bishop worked as an analyst. But I do know she had to learn how to shoot and wasn't a field agent who transferred over.???

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
Spoiler

It looks like viewers get a prisoner story after all. There are photos out there on the web showing both Gibbs and McGee as prisoners. The last scene with the standoff against the rebels seemed hopeless, but if they are still alive, it seems likely that their captor is the person who was buying the uranium from the rebels. What happened to the Navy backup?

Edited by VinceW

Freaking Bishop?!  This show gets more unbelievable!

At least Torres and Reaves have experience in 3rd world situations.  Bishop is unbelievable in the US as an agent.  Put Vance in charge of the rescue mission.  Give him something to do!

ETA Cornell's just sitting on the couch at Gibbs', with nothing to do

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

I repeat myself.  Bishop has no place on this program other than one of the NCIS staff that sits behind the cubicle wall.  Her personality is bland at best.  She is not agent material.  Her character is supposed to be a computer genius.  If there is some reason, any reason, they want to keep this actor on the show; then let her be the computer person that finds the answer online.  I prefer she transfers someplace else.  She does not belong at the front of the line.  As roamyn stated

" Freaking Bishop?!  This show gets more unbelievable!

At least Torres and Reaves have experience in 3rd world situations.  Bishop is unbelievable in the US as an agent.  Put Vance in charge of the rescue mission.  Give him something to do!"

There are other true, experienced officers better suited for a job like this.

Please get rid of Bishop

Hi, new here, just joined.  I'm enjoying the topics and was all set to defend Bishop but...can't think of anything specific.  However,  I've enjoyed Frank and George as writers - they've been with the show since the beginning or close to it and I have faith in them as show runners.  And with that faith, I'm hoping for a strong, believable Bishop heading the search. Maybe she's one of those people who only lead (or shows leadership qualities) when they absolutely have to.  Guess we'll see.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AnnieO said:

Hi, new here, just joined......And with that faith, I'm hoping for a strong, believable Bishop heading the search. Maybe she's one of those people who only lead (or shows leadership qualities) when they absolutely have to.  Guess we'll see.

Welcome to the board!  Gibbs trusts her sleuthing skills ever since Bishop came over to the team from NSA. Bishop was a big factor in searching for a terrorist Benham Parsa and she was instrumental finding his associate Bashir Malik after the drone strike that injured Delilah. Gibbs did pick her first over Torres to go to Paraguay as  well.

Edited by VinceW
On 8/26/2017 at 2:31 AM, VinceW said:
  Hide contents

It looks like viewers get a prisoner story after all. There are photos out there on the web showing both Gibbs and McGee as prisoners. The last scene with the standoff against the rebels seemed hopeless, but if they are still alive, it seems likely that their captor is the person who was buying the uranium from the rebels. What happened to the Navy backup?

@VinceW, no need to spoiler tag since this thread is already tagged with spoilers meaning people who don't want to be spoiled, enter at their own risk.

12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

@VinceW, no need to spoiler tag since this thread is already tagged with spoilers meaning people who don't want to be spoiled, enter at their own risk.

Point taken, but at the time of the postings, 'NCIS in the Media' thread was on top and I lost my place with two tabs open. As far as the photos, the screen shots have been out there for a few weeks.

Edited by VinceW

TVLine:

EXCLUSIVE

NCIS: How Cozy Will Bishop/Torres Get While Undercover? — 2018 FIRST LOOK (<< -- pix at TVLine)

By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 23 2017, 10:00 AM PST

It’s shades of NCIS Season 3, Episode 8 when Agents Bishop and Torres go undercover as a couple — and TVLine has an exclusive first look at just how close the two get while doing so.

In the CBS drama’s first episode of 2018 — titled “High Tide” and airing Tuesday, Jan. 2 at 8/7 — Torres (played by Wilmer Valderrama in his best Jughead Jones sherpa jacket) and Bishop (Emily Wickersham) pose as a criminal couple available for hire, as part of a sting operation tracking illegal drug-running out of the Norfolk civilian marina.

Will the not-unattractive twosome be able to keep things strictly professional while posting as lovebirds? Or will their act “escalate” to evoke a fraction of the frothy goodness as when Tony and Ziva passed themselves off as a married assassins (in the aforementioned “Under Covers” episode)? Check out the photos above and below and get in your best guess.

Want scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

15 hours ago, betsyboo said:

TVLine:

EXCLUSIVE

NCIS: How Cozy Will Bishop/Torres Get While Undercover? — 2018 FIRST LOOK (<< -- pix at TVLine)

By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 23 2017, 10:00 AM PST

It’s shades of NCIS Season 3, Episode 8 when Agents Bishop and Torres go undercover as a couple — and TVLine has an exclusive first look at just how close the two get while doing so.

In the CBS drama’s first episode of 2018 — titled “High Tide” and airing Tuesday, Jan. 2 at 8/7 — Torres (played by Wilmer Valderrama in his best Jughead Jones sherpa jacket) and Bishop (Emily Wickersham) pose as a criminal couple available for hire, as part of a sting operation tracking illegal drug-running out of the Norfolk civilian marina.

Will the not-unattractive twosome be able to keep things strictly professional while posting as lovebirds? Or will their act “escalate” to evoke a fraction of the frothy goodness as when Tony and Ziva passed themselves off as a married assassins (in the aforementioned “Under Covers” episode)? Check out the photos above and below and get in your best guess.

Want scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

??????????

Because this show already did this in season three with Tony and Ziva ”Under Covers.”

Like I give any figgedity fucks about these two getting together.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

??????????

Because this show already did this in season three with Tony and Ziva ”Under Covers.”

Lije I give any figgedity fucks about these two getting together.

tee! i knew this would make you crazed! ha!

Regarding the promo photos for "High Tide", is Bishop's appearance  (hair color, face makeup, etc) different than usual? If so, I wonder if the differences are for the undercover op, or a change in the character's appearance in general.

At the risk of seeming shallow, I think that I prefer this "new" look.

Any ideas on when NCIS will be bringing back the Switch Hitter Killer, Gabriel Hicks? —Naomi
Funny you should ask: The Hicks storyline picks back up next month in two episodes titled “Keep Your Friend Close” (airing Feb. 6) and “Keep Your Enemies Closer” (Feb. 27). As part of that arc, Gibbs and the team will be reunited with Fornell who was let go from the FBI — and is now working out of his garage as a gumshoe! — following Gibbs’ testimony in the Hicks case.

TVLine

Methinks this is going to be awesome and hilarious!

• Love 1

Has anyone else watched/rewatched the first season of St. Elsewhere?  Our library has it on DVD and husband and I realized we only started watching it in season 3.  So I'm going to get to watch much younger Mark Harmon.  Anyone want to join in?

3 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Has anyone else watched/rewatched the first season of St. Elsewhere?  Our library has it on DVD and husband and I realized we only started watching it in season 3.  So I'm going to get to watch much younger Mark Harmon.  Anyone want to join in?

Fair warning: (1) Season 1 is the only season of St. Elsewhere available (they haven't released the others) and (2) Mark Harmon isn't in Season 1 (although Denzel Washington is)

• Love 2

Pauley Perrette tweeted that she filmed her last NCIS scene today for an episode airing May 8th.  The season finale is May 22nd so they'll have a couple of episodes without her unless of course, they filmed those shows out of sequence.  The scene according to her pictures was filmed in her lab.  Assuming they don't skip more weeks than next week that leaves 4 episodes to her last show and 6 o the finale

• Love 2

Season finale spoilers

Spoiler

NCIS

PRE-FINALE: NCIS says hello to sweeps with a pair of episodes (airing May 1 and 8) that say good-bye to Abby, played by original cast member Pauley Perrette. “For Abby’s farewell, it was not only important that we pay tribute to this wonderful character, but that we give her a very special departure,” showrunners Frank Cardea and George Schenck said via email. “Not only are there heartfelt and nostalgic moments, we have a very special reveal for the fans.” Then on May 15, Gibbs is attending the funeral of a Navy Commander and fellow boat-building enthusiast when he learns the “deceased” is in fact alive, hiding in a 1950s-era bomb shelter. “Someone wants him dead, and Gibbs and his team are on the case,” the EPs preview.

SEASON FINALE (MAY 22): In “an adrenaline-charged episode,” a piece of Sloane’s past winds up pitting the NCIS team against an international terrorist. As such, “We will definitely end the season with a cliffhanger,” the showrunners promise.

1 minute ago, GalvDuck said:

“Not only are there heartfelt and nostalgic moments, we have a very special reveal for the fans.”

Oh really? I wonder if those moments will actually have Mark Gibbs and Pauley Abby in the SAME SCENE. I'd consider that a "special reveal.'

• Love 6
On 4/26/2018 at 11:26 PM, stonehaven said:

Another cliffhanger? Come on show...you just did one last year...really?

Not too surprising. From the producers' POV they see the potential for a ratings dip with the cast departures and want to pull out all the stops to prevent that. I don't really blame them since it seems like they didn't know last season that they would be in this position.

Do cliffhangers even work anymore? Frankly, I think they lost their impact after "Who shot JR?" over 30 years ago. I can't tell you the last time I watched one. I just save the episode, unwatched, on my DVR, and then watch it the next season. Whether I tune in or not the next season has NOTHING to do with whether they do a cliffhanger.

Edited by rainsmom
Because grammar matters
  • Love 2

And on a show like NCIS, do they think people are frantically discussing the cliffhanger all summer with great anticipation for the fall? We did that on the PTV board for The Good Place, but on NCIS, it's like, "We know everyone is going to be fine and this plotline wrapped up in 1 or 2 episodes in the fall so on to the summer of binge watching some Netflix show"

3 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Didn't we see some of it back when Tim first worked at NCIS?  And him waking up in her coffin? which was in a room presumably in an apartment.

My recollection of that was that Abby's apartment, the coffin, and McGee sleeping in the coffin were discussed, but no set was actually shown.  We've seen Abby's car, but not her apartment.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, jerseyflower said:

Didn't we see Abby's apartment when her ex-bf was stalking her and McGee had to protect her?  I'm sure we did.

I can't recall if we saw him pick her up, but she spent the night and McGee's apartment.

JINX! @jennifer6973!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
1 minute ago, jennifer6973 said:

@GHScorpiosRule then after he broke into McGee's, I think she ended up drunk at Gibbs place working on his boat.

Loved that episode, just for the basement scene.

Yes, yes she did. She started to mess around with his boat, and he gently removed whatever tool she had in his hand. And then they sat against the wall and talked.