Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

I also think it's odd that he keeps saying Ashley's name as if they are together in fighting against all the haters. I don't see that as a reality at all. at first I thought it was kind of him to ask people to back off of both of them, but it seems like he is using her situation to distract from his own. And by the way, it worked because nearly every comment on the article was about how awful Ashley was & how he needed to get rid of her. So, this was a very successful tactic. No one is commenting on his arrest!

I don't think that was because of any genius tactic by David; it's because, once people have chosen sides, nothing will make them change ;)

As for whether he's telling the whole truth?  *shrug* I've got nothing with which to judge it so I got nothing. It certainly fits the court records as well as anything else (but then he'd also have to be some kind of stupid to tell a story that didn't fit those records). I strongly doubt that anyone will ever come forward with a story that contradicts any element of David's explanation. I'm sure his brother cleared him to say it (whether because it's true or because David is his brother - take your pick).

ETA - I guess a police report might add some extra bad details but I still doubt it contradicts the story.  By the way, I'd guess that David smashed the phone by trying to throw it directly at someone and they ducked. Still not a hanging offense in my book but ymmv.

Edited by rab01
  • Love 2

Concerning this new info from David that this was his arrest record, I'm baffled that his sister said it was not him and that this was not true on Twitter. On the other hand, maybe she was trying to protect him. The problem is that she called people out for lying & called the people who were reporting the arrest record as "creepy." Maybe she didn't know it was him?

Also this is so extremely sad that his own brother would hook up with his girlfriend in his own home. Talk about betrayal--most people would need lots of therapy to move forward from this. I can't imagine.

As far as his story about what happened, the fight had to be bad enough & out of control that the police were called. And he would have broken someone else's phone in order to be charged with this. Weird that it happened at his house & he claims he just wanted them out of the house. If that was the case, and they wouldn't leave, they would have been charged with something as well. And I can't imagine that they were refusing to leave.

So yes, I do not think this story makes sense.

I also think it's odd that he keeps saying Ashley's name as if they are together in fighting against all the haters. I don't see that as a reality at all. at first I thought it was kind of him to ask people to back off of both of them, but it seems like he is using her situation to distract from his own. And by the way, it worked because nearly every comment on the article was about how awful Ashley was & how he needed to get rid of her. So, this was a very successful tactic. No one is commenting on his arrest!

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. He can never win. I actually think including Ashley's name reduced the backlash against her. If they had released the police record, A lot of people would have attacked Ashley and accused her of trying to shifting the blame.

In the other group, no one has blamed Ashley at all for digging this out.

• Love 4

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. He can never win. I actually think including Ashley's name reduced the backlash against her. If they had released the police record, A lot of people would have attacked Ashley and accused her of trying to shifting the blame.

Do you have a copy of the police report?  Otherwise, I don't understand why releasing the report would cause backlash to Ashley.  If you have a copy please share details of it.

Personally, I do not believe his sister knew about the arrest.  It is not uncommon for family members to keep something like this quiet from others in the family.

• Love 1

I think the backlash is from Ashley's friend constantly pointing to the tweet (HipHop???)  that was posted in December a few days after the season premiere, they started the smear campaign before the wedding episode was even on TV. When nobody really picked it up and investigated, they told that all would revealed about David's character and waited until textgate when people where not angry about that the twitter campaign really stepped up.

The original tweet from memory said that he held a knife to his girlfriends throat, when the record came out and the charges didn't fit they started the burner twitter account and said a family member was involved but not his brother. The burner account has changed stories a few times now, all while claiming they have the police report and mug shot and they will be released within hours, then days and now they have given them to the media for release on Wednesday.

Whoever the burner account is, they really are vile IMO

Carrie may not have been aware of the charges for all we know, David said there was a falling out with his brother due to the incident so his brother may have kept quiet out of guilt. I have brothers and I do not know every detail of their lives and quite frankly don't need to they are adults in control of their own lives, they also do not know everything about my life.

• Love 10

Do you have a copy of the police report? Otherwise, I don't understand why releasing the report would cause backlash to Ashley. If you have a copy please share details of it.

Personally, I do not believe his sister knew about the arrest. It is not uncommon for family members to keep something like this quiet from others in the family.

I would never be that spiteful to dig up someone's record or rather physically go to the police station to request it. Some ladies on the twitter have it. I am assuming that a lot of people would think these ladies are pro Ashley supporters and are trying to shift the blame of the failed marriage. Edited by ctbabe
  • Love 3

I may be unfairly judging him - I hope that he is not that manipulative, but that is the person I see when I watch the show. It's been that way since the beginning for me. So many others think he is nice - all I can figure is that my life experience tells me otherwise.

Edited by Meliss

You're not alone in this, Meliss. He is so pushy and his 'My perfect wife this, my perfect wife that' is so delusional that I don't believe it's real. He's a real phony. I never believed Ashley's lack of attraction was just a lack of physical attraction. She might prefer darker types, but he's hardly Quasimodo and I think over time she would have opened up a bit if it wasn't for his phony enthusiasm.

However, that doesn't mean I have any excuses for Ashley. Her rage over the text was simply ridiculous (as if she ever cared about this marriage) and her behavior on Twitter is petty. 

They are both very unlikeable.

• Love 5

I don't think that was because of any genius tactic by David; it's because, once people have chosen sides, nothing will make them change ;)

As for whether he's telling the whole truth? *shrug* I've got nothing with which to judge it so I got nothing. It certainly fits the court records as well as anything else (but then he'd also have to be some kind of stupid to tell a story that didn't fit those records). I strongly doubt that anyone will ever come forward with a story that contradicts any element of David's explanation. I'm sure his brother cleared him to say it (whether because it's true or because David is his brother - take your pick).

ETA - I guess a police report might add some extra bad details but I still doubt it contradicts the story. By the way, I'd guess that David smashed the phone by trying to throw it directly at someone and they ducked. Still not a hanging offense in my book but ymmv.

You may be right about the comments on the article. My opinion is based on my experience with intelligent, manipulative people. They manage to be one step ahead, it always astounds me!

The issue with the arrest & police report is really about how he was able to get on the show, especially after all the problems last year. I would like to know if Ashley knew. Maybe she didn't think it was a big deal because it was a long time ago or that it did not involve harming another person. I wouldn't be okay with it, but my opinion doesn't matter--I am not currently married to him.

I have to say that if I hadn't had a pathetic phone call years ago about my drug addict sister from my screwed up mom that I wouldn't have known about my sister getting arrested for meth. Hell I had no clue she was even doing that. Nor did I give a crap about their drama and my mom asking if I should bail the snot out. I said leave her in jail and so did our dad but those 2 are peas in a pod on how they try to play guilt and crap. Yet if I hadn't gotten that call I would have never known she was arrested and has had a problem with meth. I knew she was an alcoholic and done some drugs but didn't know which exactly and honestly didn't care at all...still don't. But the fact is that unless his sister knew from the brothers, the ex or their mother or whoever else know about the arrest there is a slight chance she may not have known about David's arrest and what their brother did. I don't get any manipulation from David as a few seem to but that is just me and I have dealt with that crap growing up and into my mid 20s so I know how one can be that way. Seen it from many people and I see it happen still to a good friend of mine by her family. 

With the whole "my wife" and whole crap about keeping on trying with the marriage I can see as producer and expert driven. I think if he stopped with all that and changed how he was acting that people that say stuff on these things would start calling him names for it. So even though he isn't perfect (no one is), I think he can't win with some out there no matter what he does or says. I honestly wish that people would call out the idiot experts more on this because alot of it was because they kept pushing him over and over and over again to do this and that. Not once was Ashley ever told to be the one to do anything (at least that we saw). For me, they should have ended them LONG ago since things were so one sided. I see some of the producer/expert driven stuff in the other couples as well and its such a joke because it does more harm then good IMO. I can imagine this is why as well he wasn't allowed to set the record straight on the arrest. Why do that ahead of time when they will let it simmer and cause issues in SM land. 

Oh btw, those out there that claim they will put out David's info on the arrest are VERY wrong and should be ashamed of themselves for being creepy about getting that info and behaving how they are on it. 

• Love 4

You're not alone in this, Meliss. He is so pushy and his 'My perfect wife this, my perfect wife that' is so delusional that I don't believe it's real. He's a real phony. I never believed Ashley's lack of attraction was just a lack of physical attraction. She might prefer darker types, but he's hardly Quasimodo and I think over time she would have opened up a bit if it wasn't for his phony enthusiasm.

However, that doesn't mean I have any excuses for Ashley. Her rage over the text was simply ridiculous (as if she ever cared about this marriage) and her behavior on Twitter is petty.

They are both very unlikeable.

Agree about Ashley--I do not get her at all. There's been speculation that her ex started contacting her but even that doesn't explain all of her strange behaviors.

And, more importantly, if she was behind the story that was put out that David attacked someone with a knife & that is not true, that is despicable. Even without reading a police report I'm pretty sure if he did that, the charges would be quite different.

This also makes David's interview even stranger - why would he defend someone who put out a story that he attacked someone with a knife?

Edited by Meliss

He did it to deflect from himself. It brought Ashley back into the conversation. The convo turned from 'David, possible GF beater' into 'Poor lovely David, horribly treated by the ice queen and still defending her'. There was no need to bring her up other than to remind us how hated Ashley is.

• Love 1

He did it to deflect from himself. It brought Ashley back into the conversation. The convo turned from 'David, possible GF beater' into 'Poor lovely David, horribly treated by the ice queen and still defending her'. There was no need to bring her up other than to remind us how hated Ashley is.

I think so too. And it promotes the "nice guy" act. Also the story behind the arrest reinforces the "victim" mentality he's been trying to sell this whole season. If he's truly taking responsibility for his actions, why throw his brother under the bus? So now everyone can hate him? David knows how social media works & the power of public opinion. Maybe he didn't care because he still doesn't completely forgive him. If he did, he wouldn't have given that detail. Again, deflecting.

I am glad David finally addressed the arrest - he needed to a few weeks ago but better late than never.  It's just as I thought it would be, nothing to see here, show's over, folks.  And I believe him.  I think David's comments about "his wife" as if they might still be together is just because he's been told he can't say anything that "spills the beans" about whether they are still together before that is actually revealed on the show.  It's NOT that he's delusional or a phony.  He's operating according to his agreement in trying to throw people off the scent.  I also think he is smart in not saying anything negative about Ashley whatsoever and bending over backwards to say nice things.  If he didn't he wouldn't have the support of the public and might make himself look like a bad guy when he's not.  Perhaps Ashley deserves to have the public look down on her for what she did to him and he's having his revenge by being overly decent and nice about the whole thing, even if that's not how he really feels.  I personally don't see anything wrong with that - The bitch may have it coming.  Or he could actually be sincere - I don't sense any reason to think he's operating with such complicated ulterior motives.  And again, he still couldn't be open about what really happened because he is taking the confidentiality very seriously and anything he says might tip people off about the outcome on decision day.  I have a feeling that David may become more open about the whole experience and his real feelings about Ashley after the decisions are revealed.

• Love 12

You would think the "experts" and the producers would go over the background of participants better.....???

It is the sort of "past" most women could "get over" IF they really were falling in love with a guy....but to be with a stranger and then find out ? or when did she find out ?

I do think it is pretty hypocritical for people to accept that people go on Bachelor etc to win back an ex and not realize some might come on this show to do the same. My guess is that she was sort of hedging her bets - either get back ex or get a shiny new hubby she is attracted to and yippee...but that did not happen. I think Ashley was "over' this at the bachelorette party - where some were angry when she turned down the male strippers but I did defend that move cause I have seen too many shows with women getting the lap dance, crotch in face and then people laugh and carry on about it. My real feeling is that she got cold feet with her nursing career in the balance - she is not yet an RN after all. I wonder if she stayed in the show when the other couple pulled out?

You know what I would really find interesting at this point is the behind the scenes, I would love to see the "runners up" and the "couple" who backed out etc.

• Love 1

I think so too. And it promotes the "nice guy" act. Also the story behind the arrest reinforces the "victim" mentality he's been trying to sell this whole season. If he's truly taking responsibility for his actions, why throw his brother under the bus? So now everyone can hate him? David knows how social media works & the power of public opinion. Maybe he didn't care because he still doesn't completely forgive him. If he did, he wouldn't have given that detail. Again, deflecting.

I am really trying to understand your summary. How did he throw his brother under the bus? by stating the fact of the case. The idiots were threatening to release it today so why not just release everything. Are you sure he didnt get his brother's blessing before releasing this details? How can we truly say he hasn't forgiven his brother? Isn't it this same brother that appeared on the txtgate episode? I doubt they would feature his brother if David was still keeping malice

The same people that were threatening to release his mugshot and police record are now reaching out to people with more dirts on David. Those idiots are getting so low that's it's sickening. Sometimes people get obsessed by a cause that it become their downfall.

A word is enough for the wise.

• Love 5

Personally, I don't find the arrest record or the offense even interesting. I know really great people arrested for more. None of this changes the fact that Ashley is a sour puss that should never have gone on the show. I think David is trying to put on a good face and feels humiliated. I can't blame him. He may just be an optimist. I'm an optimist and try to assume the best in people

• Love 10

I am really trying to understand your summary. How did he throw his brother under the bus? by stating the fact of the case. The idiots were threatening to release it today so why not just release everything. Are you sure he didnt get his brother's blessing before releasing this details? How can we truly say he hasn't forgiven his brother? Isn't it this same brother that appeared on the txtgate episode? I doubt they would feature his brother if David was still keeping malice

The same people that were threatening to release his mugshot and police record are now reaching out to people with more dirts on David. Those idiots are getting so low that's it's sickening. Sometimes people get obsessed by a cause that it become their downfall.

A word is enough for the wise.

I'm saying that even if my sister wronged me in the same way as David's brother, I would still protect her now. I would have told the story about what happened without saying that it was my own sibling that I caught with my ex.

Maybe I'm just more protective of my siblings than others, but I could never do that to her. Now for the rest of this guy's life, every one knows this about him.

Maybe you're right & his brother agreed to this. I find that odd, but it is possible he gave his blessing.

He also left his sister in the dark & let her defend him on Twitter saying that the arrest was not him. Personally I would have come clean to her so she wouldn't look like a liar. Again, maybe I'm just more protective of my siblings than others.

I don't agree with people digging dirt on reality show contestants. However, after everything that happened with Jessica last year, I believe the police record should be found and the Producers need to be held accountable. it should have been done privately & not on social media. At the same time, these idiot producers have to know this arrest record is available to the public. Did they warn David that his public arrest record could be accessed & published on the SM?

This is exactly what happened to Sean last year- people on SM found that he had a felony for a DUI & put it out there. If the Producers conducted background checks & screened out contestants with records, this wouldn't happen! Do your jobs and take responsibility!

The experts also failed these contestants because even after last year, they are not insisting that someone with a history like David's not be allowed in the show.

On a side note, Sam would not even pass a psychological screening let alone extensive testing as a person who should have been picked for this show. She may not have an arrest record, but she is verbally abusive & controlling. I hope Neil can get away from her peacefully but I have feeling she will turn on him in a nasty way if he tries to get a divorce. This show is dangerously irresponsible.

Edited by Meliss
  • Love 2

I have a few thoughts on several of the things being discussed. Again, I stress, this is all IMHO and based on my own experiences.

The whole David's record thing. Well, my husband and his brother are a year apart (my husband being older), and as they joke, constantly at each other. They've been that way since they were young boys. Heck, even now that they are both in their late 40's they still go at each other! To that end, they have often laughed and relayed the story of how when they were teenagers, they got into a physical fight over something stupid..and it wound up where my husband stabbed his brother in the back with a pencil. When I heard that, I (honestly) was stunned! (no police were called, his brother wasn't hurt badly and they got in a ton of trouble with their parents) But they both, to this day, laugh hysterically over it, because ultimately them fighting was a common thing. His brother even laughs and says that he got him back many times over.

To that end, my brother-in-law (when they were both in their 20's) met a woman that he started dating. After they broke up, she set her sights on my husband, and he admits he stupidly fell for it. He admits wholeheartedly what an idiot he was, but basically was blinded by her (again, he says he was a moron). He ended up marrying her! Not even a half year later, she came home and announced she was pregnant. Being that my husband can't have children, obviously she'd cheated, and the marriage ended. But, I have no qualms telling him what an idiot he was, and he agrees. It was just a dumb move on his part (as he says). Again, though, he and his brother were in their early 20's and both admit to just being idiots back then.

Also, my husband told me early in our relationship that as a teenager, he went through a very rebellious period. His father is the fire chief in the town he grew up in, and he said the pressure of always being scrutinized got to him. He wound up getting a rush from stealing small things at stores. Nothing major, but just the rush of the rebellion and getting away with it. At 16, he got caught, and when the authorities contacted his father, his father said "let him face the consequences of his actions" and my husband was put in juvenile detention for 6 months!

But, to read all that on paper you'd most likely gasp. My husband, though, enlisted in the Navy in his 20's and went on to a very distinguished career in law enforcement. That experience molded him into a man of amazing character. Now, there is only black and white when it comes to the law (break the law or not) and he's as straight as an arrow. So, to judge him on the stupidity of his youth, is to miss out on the great man he NOW is. I'm not saying that's the case with David, I'm just pointing out the above to illustrate that sometimes in our youth, things happen. In some cases, yes, it leads to further bad behavior, but sometimes it's just that...stupid stuff we do when we think we are invincible and we can do anything we want.

Now, as for the Ashley thing. I am not a fan of David so it isn't Ashley bashing for the sake of bashing. As many have pointed out, while editing can play a role, there has to be something there to edit. I still contend that if David were as terrible as her camp is suggesting, she could have backed out. I know that no amount of money would make me lose my dignity or endure a terrible situation. If there are the supposed repercussions of a contract, well, I still feel any halfway decent lawyer could defend her, and because of the overall support she would probably garner from the viewing public, the network would not pursue it. After all, would they want to be seen as allowing a marriage to a possible violent person, etc. to stain their overall production image? (I think not)

But, here's where my opinion kicks into overdrive regarding Ashley. She said she has a type, and that she clearly stated that it wasn't working and she wanted to try something else. But, she wasn't really invested in following through. She saw David at the alter, and shut down. I don't disagree that it's VERY hard to get past what you feel is attractive. She had the right to just say "I'm not feeling this". But, she didn't give it a chance from the get-go. Was David her perfect match, maybe not, but she didn't even try in order to see if he possessed the characters of a possible good husband. If she really wasn't happy, she should have just owned it and said "I don't feel comfortable with him." The whole dancing on eggshells to "not hurt his feelings" just came off as disingenuous. She should have just fessed up and owned it.

Again, I go to my own personal experience. I, too, had a type. But most of my adult life it wasn't doing me any favors. I had "daddy issues" as I've mentioned before and basically went from one bad relationship to another. At one point, I met a dating expert of sorts, who told me point blank that if I didn't go for character, and set aside the superficial, that I might never have a good relationship. I was on one of those free dating sites and one night, saw my husband's profile. Now, I'll tell you right up front, his pictures did NOT jump out at me, and if anything, somewhat turned me off. But reading his profile, I realized we had a ton in common and as the expert had told me, his character seemed to be what I wanted/needed. I made the decision to reach out to him.

Well, the rest is history. We met in person, and I can tell you that (thankfully) his pictures didn't do him justice. No, he wasn't tall, dark and handsome. Instead, he was tall, bald (shaved head) and a normal looking 43 year old guy. But, I gave him a chance and wound up finding the love of my life. Now, to me, he is the most handsome man on earth because I can always count on him. So, by stepping outside my comfort zone, I really did find the "character" of a partner that I truly needed.

So, about Ashley. If she really wants a real relationship, she has to be willing to take a risk. Again, is David her perfect match, probably not. But we (the viewers) won't know, because she just hasn't tried. So, to bash him like she's doing now, just comes across as trying to deflect from the fact that she shut down at the wedding, and never even tried. I think that rather than keep pointing out David's flaws, she could have handled it differently. Had she just been honest and said "I don't like him, he creeps me out" and not constantly waging a SM war, people might have viewed her differently.

• Love 11

This is how I look at it:

No, David should not have been cleared to be on the show, unless they tell the participants they only go back five years or something like that.  Then as a participant you know the recent history is clean, but are taking a chance with anything earlier then that.

HOWEVER, Ashley was horrible to David and was trying to fake her way into being emotionally invested.  She made herself look bad and it had nothing to do with David's arrest.  Now, she is trying to claim she could not warm up to him, because he is such a dangerous guy is ridiculous.

You got caught, Ashley and now you are trying to cover your tracks, because you are in breach of contract.  Your ex probably called you sometime right before the wedding and then this experiment became moot, because you wanted him and no one else.   You could have bowed out gracefully, but you also wanted that money.  A $20k to 100K paycheck for six weeks is nothing to sneeze at.  So, you went along and fooled nobody. 

Ashley should never have been cleared to be on the show.

• Love 10

Some really good points are being brought up regarding the show.  

I think the show this year is being edited more than Season 1 and 2.  David is coming across fake and phony because he is playing a role.  His words do not match any of the situations and it makes him look worse.  Some people say David gave his all.  I agree.  David gave his all in his scripted acting role.

We already read that David's mother said it took 15 takes to get one scene right so we know that this show is  directed more than being real.  She even commented that they film for hours until late into the evening.  Must be an exhausting experience for someone with a job or going to nursing school.

Everyone comments about Ashley being cold and distant.   Maybe, she is not an actress and they keep pushing her to do something that is fake.  Like David does. Maybe she is someone who thought this was a show that is honest and decided not to play the fake producers game. This would explain her personality on camera.  There is something about her interactions with David where she does not like him and trying to fake it makes her look worse. Cold. Distant.  Again, she is not a good actress.  

Season 4 is already filmed so we will probably see a repeat of this season.  It is sad the network cannot see that this show needs to change to become more authentic and honest or they might lose more viewers.

Edited by tinypeanut

This is the scared girl who was forced to marry a woman beater.. pleaseeeee let's get real.

Clearly Stashley is not threatened by her husband, interesting how some can not see that.  Has she even been in nursing school since she so thoughtfully brought the cupcake to her husband to demonstrate how hard she is trying to make the marriage work.

What is scary though, is Sam talking about ghosts and Neil acting as if he is interested.  Neil is scared alright, but it's not fear of ghosts....

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

Methinks that there are some people on here are too entirely obsessed with David's arrest a decade ago. No one pressed charges. End of story. Mealsothinks there might be some Ashfans lurking in here.

If no one pressed charges then why wasn't the case dismissed? There are two options:

1. Either they did press charges and he's lying

2. the cops witnessed the offense and dropping the charges wasn't an option.

Three days in jail for breaking a phone seems excessive, no?

I posted this before but it got deleted by the mods because I said it badly, (sorry about that), so I'll try again...

If Ashley felt scared she could've stopped the show and called daddy to get a lawyer. There's no way anyone should stay in a situation where they feel threatened in any way, especially for a stupid show like this. She doesn't seem scared or threatened to me.

Edited by Paddywagon
  • Love 3

I don't think David should not have been cleared to be on the show.  I am sure that TPTB knew about his arrest, but being that there were no charges and it was a long time ago they didn't make the humongous big fat soggy federal case out of it that you'd think it was if you believe the Ashley camp.  In this case I think the show had it right because it's nothing and I'm not going to read any more into it than that.  I believe David and I think Ashley and her supporters just want to cast more suspicion on him to (once again) make her look like the innocent party.  Not going to work with me, I'm not going to buy into that smoke and mirror game!  I agree with qtype, Ashley is the one who shouldn't have been cleared to be on the show!  Any woman who could even be EDITED to act like she did to David, even if he WERE Pepe Le Pew is just not the right material for this show.

And BTW, at least David addressed the charges openly - I think it's unfair to say he should have done it sooner or differently or whatever criticism is being hurled at him because (unlike Ashley and her ilk) I think he is trying not to breach any confidentiality and descend into mud slinging online.  He probably only did the interview when he got the OK from TPTB.  Sean last year did not say one word to all the charges being uncovered on him.  I am only convinced more of Sean's lack of character based on that.  David has done NOTHING but try to do the right thing from day one and not lower himself to the level of people who sling mud online.  To me that speaks VOLUMES about his good character, maturity and judgment.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 7

I posted this before but it got deleted by the mods because I said it badly, (sorry about that), so I'll try again...

If Ashley felt scared she could've stopped the show and called daddy to get a lawyer. There's no way anyone should stay in a situation where they feel threatened in any way, especially for a stupid show like this. She doesn't seem scared or threatened to me.

This

This

This

THIS THIS THIS

T H I S

• Love 1

There has been speculation circling around that at least two of the girls from last season TRIED to quit the show because they felt unsafe or threatened by their spouses and they were met with abuse and threats of lawsuits from the producers of the show. Walking away from a contract (that appears to be pretty nuanced) with a company that has more money and resources than you isn't always possible. Edited by sniglet
  • Love 2

Methinks that there are some people on here are too entirely obsessed with David's arrest a decade ago. No one pressed charges. End of story. Mealsothinks there might be some Ashfans lurking in here.

Wow.  Yes how dare anybody who likes or does not hate Ashley to be on the David love site.

Edited by tinypeanut
  • Love 3

There has been speculation circling around that at least two of the girls from last season TRIED to quit the show because they felt unsafe or threatened by their spouses and they were met with abuse and threats of lawsuits from the producers of the show. Walking away from a contract (that appears to be pretty nuanced) with a company that has more money and resources than you isn't always possible.

If one is fearful of being abused physically or mentally, it is indeed possible to walk away.  If there was actually a choice between physical or mental abuse and a legal contract, fear would drive someone to face legal problems.

Glad you pointed out is was just speculation in the past and not a fact.  Another rumor was Jessica was getting legal guidance from the legal firm she worked at that was involved with the restraining order, wonder if she could have gotten help there if she feared physical or mental abuse.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

There has been speculation circling around that at least two of the girls from last season TRIED to quit the show because they felt unsafe or threatened by their spouses and they were met with abuse and threats of lawsuits from the producers of the show. Walking away from a contract (that appears to be pretty nuanced) with a company that has more money and resources than you isn't always possible.

Even if this were true (as you said, it's speculation) A&E and FYI are networks that rely quite heavily on advertising dollars. Contract or no, every contract is breakable (as one attorney once told me). As I've said before, it seems to me that almost any attorney would take on the case gladly because of the attention it would garner. To my first point about the network, we have seen first-hand the power of SM and viewer response. If it were to surface that the network was using abusive tactics or putting people in harm's way, viewers would rebel..this all adds up to lost revenue for the network. While ratings are key to networks, and bring in the advertising dollars, it works the opposite way as well. Piss of the viewers, and you'll lose viewers, ratings and revenue.

Yes, they may have powerful resources (the network) but those resources can't stop the backlash from viewers. If Ashley truly were a victim, people would be lining up for miles to defend her and show the network what's what.

• Love 3

But if other people felt threatened by their partners on this show, then couldn't Ashley's lawyer go to the media with it? Seems that would totally tank this show which is still reeling from what happened in season 2. And I'm no lawyer, but it seems if it went to court I couldn't imagine a judge saying, "she feels threatened? So what, the show must go on!" Wouldn't there at least be a delay and investigation?

Edited by Paddywagon
  • Love 1

If it were to surface that the network was using abusive tactics or putting people in harm's way, viewers would rebel..

I think that casting folks without vetting them IS putting people in harm's way. Jessica didn't get a restraining order against Ryan D because he left the toilet seat up. Sean wasn't on probation for nothing. David shouldn't ever been considered for the show with any kind of domestic dispute on his record.

Again, why is it so hard to find 6 people who have never been arrested?

If no one pressed charges then why wasn't the case dismissed? There are two options:

1. Either they did press charges and he's lying

2. the cops witnessed the offense and dropping the charges wasn't an option.

Three days in jail for breaking a phone seems excessive, no?

I have said it previously, 2 criminal defense lawyers reviewed this case and they actually predicted that he threw a phone. Thus was before his interview. I am not a lawyer but I trust these 2 lawyer's judgement.

• Love 7

I think that casting folks without vetting them IS putting people in harm's way. Jessica didn't get a restraining order against Ryan D because he left the toilet seat up. Sean wasn't on probation for nothing. David shouldn't ever been considered for the show with any kind of domestic dispute on his record.

I agree completely about the vetting process. It is never right to put a person in harm's way, whether they are signing up for an experiment or just a sideline player in the whole thing. But, to that end, if it is putting them in harm's way, the person has ample reason to not only back out, but sue the network. Signing a waiver or contract does not dismiss basic human rights, and so, there is no court or jury on earth (I think) that wouldn't slap the book at the network and make them pay through the nose (the person would most likely earn a lot more than they are from the show). If anything, I think it makes the network look really bad (to my point above). Perception is a big part of network draw and ratings. Very few people would side with the network if it were to surface that they were truly putting people in harm's way. So, any smart attorney (I think) would take it to SM and the people, which could cause quite a backlash.

• Love 1

Wow. Yes how dare anybody who likes or does not hate Ashley to be on the David love site.

When I said Ashfans I meant Ashfam, as in Ashley's family/camp. But I suppose there could be fans of Ashley, although I can't for the life of me think why anyone not linked to her would be a fan. Except that she's great at being both boring and horrible at the same time.
  • Love 5

I never said Ashley was feeling threatened or in danger nor did I read anyone post that. Did I miss something?

I believe he made her very uncomfortable & she was turned off by his childish ways but not in any danger. I do not think having this criminal record means that she was in danger either. And again, I did not see that in any comments. I do believe her coldness was due to being uncomfortable & viewing him more as a child than a husband. JMHO

Also his words did not match his actions or reality, so it had to be confusing for her--

Also I may be over the top or hypervigilant --but please do not call me an Ashley fan! :)

A few weeks ago I could have said one thing nice about her, but now that I've read the accusations made online that David attacked his GF with a knife--that's messed up. If she is behind this story & I believe she is, putting out false information like this is deplorable & defamation of character. She should get what she deserves if she is behind it.

Edited by Meliss

Nffftshewasgone,

Not a fan of Ashley's and agree that she should have never been cast for this show.

I just don't hate her because I don't know her.  Many people think they know her because they are watching an edited reality show.

Last Season there was not one person I hated since I don't know any of these people in real life and they have done nothing to hurt me.

Edited by tinypeanut

She doesn't appear to be a cold dirty fish bitch (or whatever y'all like to call her) in that clip either.

I don't remember calling her a dirty fish bitch.. She acted cold on camera but I don't think she was that cold to him offcamera.

• Love 2

Nffftshewasgone,

Not a fan of Ashley's and agree that she should have never been cast for this show.

I just don't hate her because I don't know her. Many people think they know her because they are watching an edited reality show.

Last Season there was not one person I hated since I don't know any of these people in real life and they have done nothing to hurt me.

Fair enough. I don't hate her, either, but I do despise her behavior. She could have made the best of her situation -- it could have gone any number of ways -- but she chose not to.

I have to say, Cold Dirty Fish Bitch makes me giggle :)

• Love 2

I don't remember calling her a dirty fish bitch.. She acted cold on camera but I don't think she was that cold to him offcamera.

That was on camera... In my opinion, these little snippets of her being totally normal and even friendly to David that have been peppered throughout the show in the "behind the scenes" footage make me feel like there are some editing tricks involved in her character development. Agree or don't agree, that's fine.

The show has gotten flack for putting on people with dead parents or having had one walk out, which, I agree the show shouldn't pick people on the grounds that their issues can be fixed by marriage which the show has actually done repeatedly, but being a child of divorce or someone who has lost a parent shouldn't be an excluding factor. In today's times it would be so hard to find 6 people raised in happy 2 parent households. I'm in the minority of my friends having my parents still together. Arrests are a completely different thing. I know one friend with a DUI and it was thankfully a wake up call. Being arrested isnt as common as single parenting/divorce. Now, I do obviously believe people can learn, I've seen it, but with Sean for example he was still on probation, that should be too soon to tell. In David's case 8/9 yrs is a long time ago that maybe the show should have the people asked ahead of time if some kind of record years ago would be a deal breaker. Ryan D they have no excuse for he admitted during the show he had anger issues. It shouldn't be hard to find 6 people with no record. They should able to to find 6 people who genuinely want to be married in the real world. But maybe these groups all plays into the larger topics of those kinds of people aren't the kinds to go on reality TV vs. who is attracted to being on reality TV? Edited by Gigi43

That was on camera... In my opinion, these little snippets of her being totally normal and even friendly to David that have been peppered throughout the show in the "behind the scenes" footage make me feel like there are some editing tricks involved in her character development. Agree or don't agree, that's fine.

That was on THE VIDEO DIARY camera not from the camera crew. The ferry wheel was also from the diary cam. Also the fish buying experience was also the diary cam. I agree we see tiny glimpse of her fun side but if her default face is a frown why blame the editors. There is no way editing can be 100% favorable.

BTW I like arguing with you. It never gets messy

Edited by ctbabe
  • Love 1