Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I figured out that he wanted 12, but it made no sense to me since 'dozen' was specified in the clue. I was so confused that '12' was required - it really threw me for a loop, and I can only imagine how much it would have affected me as a contestant. Then again, I would never make it onto Jeopardy, so maybe it's just me.

He wanted 12 because the landmark is called The Twelve Apostles. I'm guessing that was the answer he had in front of him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Apostles_(Victoria)

Fun Fact: there are also stone circles called Twelve Apostles in Scotland and England.

12 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I like Kendra and am pleased she repeated, but Becca endeared herself to me immediately by appearing to be chuckling all the way through her intro.  She just looked like she was having the time of her life.

I liked Becca, too. Her chat segment story made me laugh (I saw it on instagram and thought I could do it...I was wrong). (Paraphrased, of course; don't even know if she said instagram or something else.)

Same thoughts on Minnie Pearl - I was trying to think of a style of hat and I would say straw is the material, not the style.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, ABay said:

Bratislava was an instaget because I've been there. Back when we could go places.

But did you cruise the Danube? I loved the way Alex delivered that remark. “If you had cruised the Danube, this would come easily to you,” was that it? From other lips that would sound insufferable, but not his!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Jimi Hendrix and seedless surprised me as TS.  So did profile, but then I thought they might have been trying to put in a word in front of, rather than after, flavor.  And straw hat surprised me, but some of you have made me consider they were trying to come up with something more specific and failing.

I was on fire in the first round, but then missed two of the Leo and most of the Rome clues.  But I was back on track in DJ, only missing Mather and Beat Shazam.  And I got FJ, because I quiz myself on geography several times a year, so I'm good with capitals and locations.

• Love 2

Yeah, I could not come up with the specific type of hat Minnie Pearl wore. She is way before my time but I’ve seen pictures of her. “What’s a floppy hat like that called? A sun hat? A garden hat? A boater? Oh- they just wanted straw hat. 🙄 👒

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I got seedless, the 12 Apostles (until they corrected Gabriel’s answer and it not longer was a TS), straw hat, (don’t think this was a TS, but I said multi-flavored for profile), then I had a big whoop for @saber5055 when I saw the Spaniel, and Day of the Locust which they gave to me by using the word day in the clue. No idea for FJ. I was thinking Budapest. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

But did you cruise the Danube? I loved the way Alex delivered that remark. “If you had cruised the Danube, this would come easily to you,” was that it? From other lips that would sound insufferable, but not his!

Sort of. Took a bus from Vienna to Bratislava and took a boat back. It's a uniquely dull part of the Danube, though. If you get the chance, the Wachau Valley part of the Danube between Melk & Krems in Austria is prime Danube scenery. Castles & cute towns all over the place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad they came back and gave the guy a correct for Apostles.  I figured out what Alex was going for with his BMS, but it shouldn't have been necessary with dozen in the clue.  

I got that, though, along with seedless and straw hat.  I'm sure Minnie Pearl was before their time.  Howdeeee!

I confidently said Budapest for FJ, then saw the date of 1993 and just could not come up with the right country, much less the right city.  Salzburg was an interesting guess, considering that it is not a national capital.

I was happy to see Salzburg get a shout out (family connections, and a city I love) - but it's not a capital. And way too far away from Vienna. I figured they just came up with whatever other Austrian town they could think of. As did I, as it didn't occur to me until time was up that it would be in a different country. DUH.

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think Minnie Pearl's hat was a TS because no one could think of an official name for a straw hat. That was my problem too. I can clearly picture Minnie in her yellow straw hat with flowers on it and a price tag hanging down on its right side. But what's the NAME of the hat ... bowler, derby, fedora ... go figure that it would just be a plain old STRAW HAT. And what about boater, it looks like a boater hat. Or sailor hat. Conclusion: Not a good clue.

I could picture her, but I could only remember the flowers and the price tag.  I had no clue that the hat was made out of straw. It's the material the hat was made of, not the style. I've seen a number of different styles of hats made out of straw. Anyway, even if I'd remembered it was a straw hat, I wouldn't have gotten the right answer, because I was trying to think of a style, not a material.

• Love 6

I really liked Gabriel and was pulling for him but Kendra was a steamroller.  I liked her retro outfit that went so nicely with her retro hair-do. I liked Becca too.

Only two ts's, straw hat and The Day of the Locust.  I had three but they took Twelve Apostles away, and rightly so.

I came up with Salzburg, all pleased with myself, then brain kicked in and pointed out that Salzburg wasn't a capital and the city wouldn't even be in Austria.  So I had no idea; Bratislava never would have come to me.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, ABay said:

Bratislava was an instaget because I've been there. Back when we could go places. It was like wandering around the set of Young Frankenstein.

Same here. Not a fan of Bratislava.
This is the second time in less than a week that I was able to answer FJ based on my travels.
And this is part of the reason why I hate 2020 - no travels.

• Love 5

Only 69% correct overall tonight, but I ran Fictional Places, British English, Colorful Verbs, and Plants & Flowers, and final was an instaget. (My college did that one my... junior year, I think. One of my friends was in it (she was Glad Hand) and I helped another friend do refreshments.)

I started out so well I decided to keep score. After the second sports clue I started to fizzle.

I knew the swimmer but I couldn't come up with her last name. I just kept going "Diana, Diana, Diana...dammit!"

• Love 4

I said Oklahoma for FJ.  the only other musical I could think of was A Chorus Line.

I got the TS of something I can't read but look like Sudan by Gomer (anybody figures that one out, you should probably win $1000, but not from me), Fort Worth,  Are We There Yet?, Where'd You Go Bernadette and fiddleheads (and man did I hate it when my grandmother fed those to me.   Blech, bitter).

I got the entire category of not so wild west right.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

FJ was an instaget.  I am gobsmacked that none of the contestants got it.  And not that it mattered, but middle guy should have bet zero.

So many TS!  I got NASCAR, Sandra Day O'Connor (missed DD), Ft. Worth, Ponce de Leon (missed DD), Are We There Yet?, Where'd You Go Bernadette?, fiddlehead, and hydrangea.  Incidentally, all ferns do that fiddlehead thing when they're unfurling.  Fiddlehead is not a specific type of fern.

Just now, Katy M said:

Sudan by Gomer

Sandra Day O'Connor, maybe?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Something's coming led to Something wicked this way comes which led to Wicked. A better clue for West Side Story would've hinted at Jets , Sharks, I Feel Pretty, or America. Or Tonight. Or Maria. 

• Love 3

I had FJ before the music started, but second-guessed myself the whole time.  I was glad to be reminded of the song (thanks, ams!) but I guess it is not one of the more memorable ones for me either.  I was looking forward to the movie, and suppose I still am as long as it doesn't just go to streaming, but hadn't heard there was a revival.  In general, it seems to me that contestants will want to punch up their musical theatre a bit.  Nice to see "Anne of Green Gables" and Prince Edward Island.  Those books and associated media are some of my mother's favorites so we had a wonderful trip up there when I was quite young.  I wish I could remember even more of the sites!  The standout memory was of panic as we tried to find a gas station open late, in the days before cell phones etc.

"How Green Was My Valley" did not belong in the category of movies the titles of which are also questions.  Nobody asks that question and gets an answer between "positively verdant" and "starting to brown."  It is instead presented as a declaration, like "how beautiful is the sunrise."  One of their publicity campaigns riffed off that declaration with "Rich is their humor!  Deep are their passions!  [Etc]."  I admit I dismissed a few comments near the beginning of the season to the effect of "quality control is going by the wayside a bit" or "this is not really an auspicious start to the Richards regime," but I am starting to pick up on more of these little niggling things.  I really hope our erudite show can shake itself a bit and everyone can put their best feet forward in this transition.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3

Ft Worth was a surprising TS (army post + Texas = Ft. Worth), as was Marshall (old-time Supreme Court Justice = Marshall).  The Dolly Parton TS was a bit distressing just on general principle (It's Dolly!  And one of her greatest songs!  [And one with a wider audience thanks to the success of the Whitney Houston cover.])

I think "pinking" should have been "pink" since the clue was "to cut ..." not "cutting ...", but I am not surprised they weren't that picky.

I only missed three in the first round, three more in DJ, and correctly guessed FJ.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Dolly Parton TS was a bit distressing just on general principle (It's Dolly!  And one of her greatest songs!

I was distressed after it was revealed!  If you asked me "who wrote 'I Will Always Love You'" I would have Dolly in a heartbeat.  But having only the lyrics to that bit confused me.  I was thinking of "I Wish You Love" (I wish you bluebirds in the spring / to give your heart a song to sing / and then a kiss / but more than this / I wish you love), and certainly couldn't come up with the names Charles Trenet, Léo Chauliac, and Albert Beach.  Thanks, Google! 😉

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I knew the swimmer but I couldn't come up with her last name. I just kept going "Diana, Diana, Diana...dammit!"

I didn't even get "Diana" but when her name came up - I couldn't believe I didn't get it.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Oklahoma for FJ.  the only other musical I could think of was A Chorus Line.

I was way in left field - I said "Music Man." To be fair (to myself 😉 ) I only saw West Side Story once on TV. I was familiar with some of the songs, but not this one. I did recognize the song once I heard it.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I want to think they picked this just to give us a little bit of optimism with all the crap going on these days.

Being the negative nelly I am, if they did I'd wonder if they know how it turns out.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ft Worth was a surprising TS (army post + Texas = Ft. Worth),

For me, military brat, it lead to Fort Bliss - where my father and brother were both stationed at different times.

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was distressed after it was revealed!  If you asked me "who wrote 'I Will Always Love You'" I would have Dolly in a heartbeat.  But having only the lyrics to that bit confused me.  I was thinking of "I Wish You Love" (I wish you bluebirds in the spring / to give your heart a song to sing / and then a kiss / but more than this / I wish you love), and certainly couldn't come up with the names Charles Trenet, Léo Chauliac, and Albert Beach.  Thanks, Google! 😉

I love Dolly and have been a fan of that song since it came out. At one time I had the lyrics memorized - but that lyric has always stayed with me. It doesn't hurt that I recently watched the Dolly documentary on Netflix.

3 minutes ago, Trey said:

That's great. I didn't realize.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

In an interview, Diana Nyad mentioned that her father told her that a naiad is a water nymph, so it made sense that she liked to swim.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Driad said:

In an interview, Diana Nyad mentioned that her father told her that a naiad is a water nymph, so it made sense that she liked to swim.

I always thought that was a marvelous coincidence.

How do we KNOW Kate's the first trans-woman? If they don't announce it, we shouldn't know and it's none of our business anyway.  That's my Niece's problem. She keeps complaining she gets discriminated against for being a former male. Her mom tells her, "If you wouldn't announce it to everybody, how would they know?" 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I said auto racing instead of NASCAR - acceptable?

Worthy of a BMS according to this judge.

Diana Nyad was the only TS I got. My brain is not especially sharp these days. And in support of Wicked, "Something's Coming, Something Good" would be a great song if you were a witch and more witches were coming. I still say that song should have been from A Chorus Line.

Like I said, I'm not especially sharp lately.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't realize.

I assumed she was right away, and then of course didn't think about it again until she won, when I wondered if she was the first transgender contestant to win. 

But has she spoken anywhere (e.g. on social media) on the subject?  Because if it's just someone on Reddit making the same assumption I did (which may not even be correct), or even someone who knows her personally and thus knows her gender identity for sure, that's not cool (which is why I didn't say anything last night) -- any first public declaration should come from her.  Representation is important, but we should first know that she a) is a transwoman and b) wants to publicly represent.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Her mom tells her, "If you wouldn't announce it to everybody, how would they know?" 

There's a lot of danger in being "caught" at "trying to pass" just as there is in living openly; there's no right or wrong answer, just trying to find the best way of living as their true selves in a society in which both discrimination and physical danger are rampant.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

I would think the lyrics they quoted "Somethings coming. Something good." would rule out Wicked.

I think "Something's coming" brought to mind "Something wicked this way comes".  (And I think I'm repeating someone upthread in speculating that, but am too lazy to check.)  That's what I figured last night when two of them guessed Wicked, because I can see that, especially if the lyrics didn't do anything to signal West Side Story for them (as it didn't for me; I've never seen the play, only the film, and don't really care for it, so I only correctly guessed FJ by having a vague memory of reading about an upcoming revival of it - that's the part of the clue that helped me).

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But has she spoken anywhere (e.g. on social media) on the subject?  Because if it's just someone on Reddit making the same assumption I did (which may not even be correct), or even someone who knows her personally and thus knows her gender identity for sure, that's not cool (which is why I didn't say anything last night) -- any first public declaration should come from her.  Representation is important, but we should first know that she a) is a transwoman and b) wants to publicly represent.

I checked around a bit too, before posting that link.

Here's another article from MLive Michigan:

https://www.mlive.com/life/2020/12/michigan-bar-trivia-guru-takes-on-two-time-jeopardy-champion.html

eta:  If anyone feels my original post should be deleted, just say so.  I really hesitated before posting it but thought some posters might find it interesting.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think "Something's coming" brought to mind "Something wicked this way comes".  (And I think I'm repeating someone upthread in speculating that, but am too lazy to check.)  That's what I figured last night when two of them guessed Wicked, because I can see that, especially if the lyrics didn't do anything to signal West Side Story for them (as it didn't for me; I've never seen the play, only the film, and don't really care for it, so I only correctly guessed FJ by having a vague memory of reading about an upcoming revival of it - that's the part of the clue that helped me).

I also said Wicked partially for the reason you mentioned - "something wicked this way comes" but also because "For Good" is a song from Wicked. The combination of those two things led me to Wicked, though I was fairly certain there wasn't a recent Broadway revival. Then I wondered what *had* been revived recently on Broadway, given the COVID situation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I checked around a bit too, before posting that link.

Here's another article from MLive Michigan:

https://www.mlive.com/life/2020/12/michigan-bar-trivia-guru-takes-on-two-time-jeopardy-champion.html

eta:  If anyone feels my original post should be deleted, just say so.  I really hesitated before posting it but thought some posters might find it interesting.

I don't think it needs to be removed, especially combined with this article. (Interestingly...it mentions she's wearing a relevant pin as well...again I did not notice she even was wearing a pin while I was watching; I can see it in the picture but it's too small to tell what it is. Maybe some people have better eyes than I do.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Representation is important, but we should first know that she a) is a transwoman and b) wants to publicly represent.

She was wearing a trans pride pin 🏳️‍⚧️ so clearly she’s not afraid of public representation.

I am shocked that the returning champ did not get FJ which I thought was so stupidly easy! It was an instaget as soon as I saw the lyrics “Something’s coming.” The champ had gone straight for the theatre category her first time on the show and got 4/5 in the category so I have no idea how she missed something so easy as West Side Story!

(eta: on my phone that emoji is a trans flag, I guess that doesn’t show up on the board here.)

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

She was wearing a trans pride pin 🏳️‍⚧️ so clearly she’s not afraid of public representation.

Good to know!  I was watching in my living room, which has a small TV; my eyes would never have been able to pick up a pin, let alone see what was on it.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't even get "Diana" but when her name came up - I couldn't believe I didn't get it.

I was way in left field - I said "Music Man." To be fair (to myself 😉 ) I only saw West Side Story once on TV. I was familiar with some of the songs, but not this one. I did recognize the song once I heard it.

Being the negative nelly I am, if they did I'd wonder if they know how it turns out.

For me, military brat, it lead to Fort Bliss - where my father and brother were both stationed at different times.

I love Dolly and have been a fan of that song since it came out. At one time I had the lyrics memorized - but that lyric has always stayed with me. It doesn't hurt that I recently watched the Dolly documentary on Netflix.

That's great. I didn't realize.

Fort Bliss! That's what I call my home when the grandkids come to visit. LOL (we build forts all over the place with every material you can imagine)

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Our power was out for a few hours a couple of days ago... almost didn't get to tape J! OMG. I was almost in a panic... missing one of Alex's last shows is not on my wish list.

Hearing Alex mention Christmas being just a couple of weeks away did me in. Again. I keep noticing how his voice is weak or raspy at times... he seems to be slowing down and aging quickly before our eyes... how his mouth is changing just slightly - exactly the same way Dad's did in his last days. I know he must have been in terrible pain during his last shows and it bothers me that I wanted him to continue for as long as possible. Forgive me, Alex.

I was relieved when Apostles was considered correct. (did anyone hear me yelling at my tv?)

I was also happy when Kate won.

We watched a half hour show called PopTime (I think) tonight. It was all about J! and there were interviews with an author, past contestants and a comedian who learned English and comedic timing from Alex. It was interesting hearing everything I already knew... that Alex's true personality is a bit different from the professional persona he projects as host of J! He was down to earth, loved jokes, sarcasm (without damage), wit, and apparently approved of Will Ferrell's SNL impersonations. Some of the comments were, "Alex made being smart a cool thing." I've done a Reader's Digest version of what was actually said.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Driad said:

I thought so! Unfortunately, I didn't know the correct spelling of naiad so I got nothing in the dictionary and didn't mention it.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I assumed she was right away, and then of course didn't think about it again until she won, when I wondered if she was the first transgender contestant to win. 

There's a lot of danger in being "caught" at "trying to pass" just as there is in living openly; there's no right or wrong answer, just trying to find the best way of living as their true selves in a society in which both discrimination and physical danger are rampant.

Valid points.  I had a discussion with my daughter about this and found some of the terminology has changed. I like to keep up with it so I can be respectful if I should ever meet a transperson. I worked with two transwomen back in the 80's and didn't think too much about it. They weren't particularly "out" but some of their stories (for ex. one had been in the military and worked on a nuclear sub) gave me the clues.

10 hours ago, Bliss said:

Fort Bliss! That's what I call my home when the grandkids come to visit. LOL (we build forts all over the place with every material you can imagine)

That's so sweet! My now grown kids loved building forts. I ran out of steam for my youngest's birthday party, and my oldest and her friend set up forts - the kids at the party had a blast, and I didn't have to do anything but provide cake and goodie bags. I highly recommend that approach in lieu of planned activities. (also - dress up)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also said Wicked partially for the reason you mentioned - "something wicked this way comes" but also because "For Good" is a song from Wicked. The combination of those two things led me to Wicked, though I was fairly certain there wasn't a recent Broadway revival. Then I wondered what *had* been revived recently on Broadway, given the COVID situation.

Yeah, the current production of Wicked is still the original one - there hasn’t been a revival yet. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, the current production of Wicked is still the original one - there hasn’t been a revival yet. 

At least I knew Wicked wasn't old enough to have a revival. I wasn't sure if A Chorus Line wasn't still playing somewhere, but figured since it opened in 1975 it was due for a revival, which is why I went with it. West Side Story (1957) I must say was Before My Time, although as I've already posted, we kids played the album over and over. The writers just picked the wrong song for the clue.

From last week:

* I got 4/5 in the Live Albums category.  I missed the same one that the other contestants did.

I've never gotten 4/5 ever, before.

* I got 3/5 in Computer Languages.  I probably could have gotten 4/5 if I wasn't constrained my time.  But I mentally blurted out a wrong answer, because of the 2-3 time limit per clue.

How much time do contestants have per clue, anyways?  Is it 2 seconds after the last word is read?  3 seconds?

When was the last time we had two contestants with the same score heading into Final Jeopardy?

Also, I saw someone use the acronym TJ.  What does that mean?

On 12/10/2020 at 5:43 AM, Clanstarling said:

(except python - had to think about that one, but got it in time)

Python was an easy one for me.

But I made mistakes on the others.  Some of it, due to the time pressure.  For the one that said it's usually the first language taught, I probably could have gotten that right if I was in a rational state of mind.  But because I had to hurry, I just said mentally blurted something.

2 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Also, I saw someone use the acronym TJ.  What does that mean?

I'm not aware of this as a J! initialism - perhaps you're referring to posts that discussed the contestant T.J. who played a couple of games the week before last?

• Love 2

I'm not aware of this as a J! initialism - perhaps you're referring to posts that discussed the contestant T.J. who played a couple of games the week before last?

That'd be my guess...but while we're on the subject...what does asterisk mean?

Sounds likely.  I know I referred to him as TJ, rathern than T.J. Probably others did too.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Asterisk is for those playing the FJ game.  You get an asterisk when you get the correct FJ but none of the contestants got it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Stop over in the Final Jeopardy Contest thread. If the FJ stumps all three players, that's an asterisk clue, and if a contest player gets that answer, he/she gets an asterisk added to the weekly score. It's a badge of honor to have asterisks in your score, and it's another category for prizes to be awarded at the end of Season 37. Which you should have been playing. The contest I mean. Next season?

Last week was a three-asterisk week!

Yes, TJ was the player with the great hair and glasses. One-time champ, unfortunately, because he was good.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Stop over in the Final Jeopardy Contest thread. If the FJ stumps all three players, that's an asterisk clue, and if a contest player gets that answer, he/she gets an asterisk added to the weekly score. It's a badge of honor to have asterisks in your score, and it's another category for prizes to be awarded at the end of Season 37. Which you should have been playing. The contest I mean. Next season?

Last week was a three-asterisk week!

Yes, TJ was the player with the great hair and glasses. One-time champ, unfortunately, because he was good.

I didn't know it existed! I will check it out later.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well, I got all of Shakespeare, so that makes me happy. Also ran Big, Little or No Bang. Missed one each in Barbies, Blended Words, and barefoot Olympic sports. World capital bingo...well, we'll just forget that one was there. But a respectable 79% for the round.

We also won't talk about Double Jeopardy. Or FJ.

60% overall for the game.

• Love 3

That was a good game!  Hardly any TS -- I only got The Hustler -- and high, close scores.  

I had to think about FJ for a second, but the date, plus opera, plus an unfamiliar name of the architect finally led me to the right place, in plenty of time to write it down.

• Love 3