Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Never have I ever played never have I ever.

I drink just about anything (healthy, hopefully) , and the same with food (except stuff that looks like it should be stepped on...). Mind you, I'm the first one to admit that I will only drink or eat the 'best' - no city water for me.

Alex's Thanksgiving message made me cry. Like, full blown kleenex-clutching sobs.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was wondering if judges would give credit for former names so Zaire might be ruled correct. Then I looked at a map, and a tiny toe of the former Zaire touches the ocean. So, never mind. (Still, it was a good wrong answer.)

Ahhh. I forgot about the land-locked part of the clue.

• Love 1

No Jeopardy for me today. I rushed home from town so I wouldn't miss today's episode, but my antenna has dropped all NBC channels, can't get any of them to come in no matter where I put the antenna. Yeah, I even tried it there. Go ahead and feel sorry for me because I do.

Crossing fingers tomorrow is better.

I got FJ.

I got the TS of Zane, shrinking violet, schlmeizel schlmazel (Im sure spelled wrong), I Want to Dance With Somebody and Juan Carlos.  

I got the entire category of Royal Pains right.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and darn Ryan again for denying me an asterisk!  But thank goodness he made it impossible for Ben to win.  He irked me from the beginning. 

So many TS!  I got Zane, Annie, Colson, shrinking violet, schlemiel and schlimazel, noshing, solitary, and I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me.  I did have to look up how to spell schlemiel and schlimazel -- I never would have gotten them right if I'd had to write them!

Alex did sound better today.

• Love 3

Exactly Alex! Fleabag not dirtbag. 

No one knew Schlemiel Schimazel!

I was getting very worried that no one was going to get FJ! Heh I was a little upset it took me 2 seconds more than it should have to get it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Saber -- you re-scanned the channels, if your TV does that?

I did rescan, and all those channels are now gone, won't even show up in the directory. No more Jeopardy or the dozens of other shows I watch on those channels. Happy birthday to me.

28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did have to look up how to spell schlemiel and schlimazel -- I never would have gotten them right if I'd had to write them!

I know how to spell schlemiel, but I'd have had to guess on schlimazel - I'd have guessed right, though, I think (I might have gone with schlemazel if in a hurry).

I'm surprised that was a TS.  Same with noshing and schlock; these folks do not know their Yiddish.  I also didn't expect shrinking violet to go unanswered.

I did almost as poorly as the contestants in the authors' middle names category, and was terrible in royal pains and geography (usually a strong suit!) categories, too.  I missed a few scattered others in each round, too, so not a great game for me.  (I was reading the archive with football on in the background, but I don't think I can pin it on distraction; it just wasn't my night.)  At least FJ was an instaget for me to end strong. 

21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I did rescan, and all those channels are now gone, won't even show up in the directory. No more Jeopardy or the dozens of other shows I watch on those channels. Happy birthday to me.

How's your weather? Or maybe you need to shift your antenna to another window (if you have a leaf)?
This happens to me for a few days about once a season or so.

Did they all really not know "shrinking violet," or were they all a little distracted (as I was) when Alex gave Ben a chance to "be more specific" when he first said "moon" instead of "blue moon"? 

Yeah, not a nosher in the bunch.

I got all but one Yiddish word (I said dreck instead of schlock), and all but one in Arguments (I figured a fortiori had something to do with strength but I wasn't quite sure what they were going for), and all but one in Songs (couldn't think of I Wanna Be Sedated in time, which is annoying).

I got all the annual events and crowdfunding.

Did not get FJ. The only movie I could think of that I know was from 1975 (the year I was born) is not a comedy. I did think of Monty Python but didn't come up with the movie with a 'title object' in it.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How's your weather? Or maybe you need to shift your antenna to another window (if you have a leaf)?
This happens to me for a few days about once a season or so.

In my area, there's a group of stations the has two or three times recently, gone into some kind of maintenance or low-power mode, and their stations vanish temporarily.  I was able to find a contact-us link on their website and an engineer got back to me confirming what happened.  The first time, I had already rescanned, so I had to do it again when they came back.  Now I know to give it a day or so before I panic.  So maybe that's all it is for you?  Hopefully?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know how to spell schlemiel, but I'd have had to guess on schlimazel - I'd have guessed right, though, I think (I might have gone with schlemazel if in a hurry).

I'm surprised that was a TS.  Same with noshing and schlock; these folks do not know their Yiddish.  I also didn't expect shrinking violet to go unanswered.

I did almost as poorly as the contestants in the authors' middle names category, and was terrible in royal pains and geography (usually a strong suit!) categories, too.  I missed a few scattered others in each round, too, so not a great game for me.  (I was reading the archive with football on in the background, but I don't think I can pin it on distraction; it just wasn't my night.)  At least FJ was an instaget for me to end strong. 

It's been said that a schlemiel is someone who spills soup and a schlimazel is whoever they spill it on. Yiddish words are such fun to say. Here's a nice list

I also was surprised that "shrinking violet" was a TS. It turns up in the great Tom Lehrer's spoof of war songs, So Long, Mom. "Little Johnny Jones was a US Pilot/And no shrinking vi'let/ was he,,,"

No idea on FJ. The only British comedy I could think of with an object in the title was The Wrong Box, and I knew that was pre-1975. I've put off watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail because I fear the line-quoters have long since ruined the best bits. (Not trying to be like Friday's contestant Gabriel by humblebragging about it.)

• Love 4

Thanks @SoMuchTV. This happened before with the same network, I missed about a month of Jeopardy last year. For NBC to be fine all weekend and then go black today makes me think it's the station. When weather is affecting the antenna, channels will pixellate until I move the antenna. This makes me cranky, missing my fav tv shows for who knows how long.

How fortunate for all of us that schlemiel / schlimazel was not a written question.  See also: Hasenpfeffer, Incorporated.  Should it ever be necessary to tell which is which, I think the old joke is that a schlemiel is the one who always spills their soup and a schlimazel is the one who always gets soup spilled on them.  (NB: I just saw GreekGeek replied and took this line, but I did the typing, it's staying in.  😛)

The authors' names were killers!  I had heard all those names, other than August Strindberg, but couldn't've come up with them in a million years (other than Dashiell Hammett, which I did get, thanks to the charming Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy and William Powell).  Maybe I'll look for one thing by each of them to read and cement them in my mind.

No joy on FJ.  I should've focused on the London part of the clue, but I still doubt I would've gotten there.  Very fun episode.  I thought "Ben!" was going to get on my nerves after that opening gesture, but I found him pretty charming in the end.  Lots of great little Alex moments too.  The cats and I felt that "I think I would like to meet your wife" had something of the air of a key party.  (Sorry, Ma!)

Saber, good luck.  I don't have anything better to offer than others have.  Good luck also to my old thesis advisor!  We know who he'll be up against now.  If anyone can do it...

• Love 2

I was disappointed I didn't get FJ. When the category came up, I would have bet it all if I'd actually been on the show. And then I would have lost it all.

I got Zane, shrinking violet, schmiel/schmalzel, noshing, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, encyclical, and Juan Carlos.

What did Ben mime at the very beginning? Opening a door?

3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought "Ben!" was going to get on my nerves after that opening gesture, but I found him pretty charming in the end.

Oh, no, Ben! was on my Nerves! for the entire Episode!.  He was just so very 'extra', as the kids say.

I agree with the comments that Alex looked and sounded much better today--as was said, probably a new taping day after a bit of a rest or something.  There have also been some solid contestants playing good games, which he always seems to enjoy.  Wouldn't be surprised if he fed off that energy a bit.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What did Ben mime at the very beginning? Opening a door?

I’m still in the dark. I think I decided it symbolizes bursting onto the scene. It looked a bit like dropping the mic, but in reverse. Picking the mic up off a high credenza? Lord only knows.

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Exactly Alex! Fleabag not dirtbag.

To be fair, as much as I love her, she is kind of a dirtbag as well.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Twice in a row now, when there's a clue about a western Asian body of water, I guessed the right one!  Previous to these past two times, if I said "Caspian," it was "Black," and vice versa...every time!

Yep, me too. Except I rarely remember Caspian. LOL

I got 3 of the middle names - Hammett, Gray, and Strindberg. Of the the three, Hammett was the only one I was sure of. I have no idea how I got Strindberg. Gray (Grey?) was a favorite of mine as a kid, but I sure didn't know his first name was Pearl. Odd.

No idea for FJ, though Mr. Starling got it right away. I've seen the film, but I don't remember the conclusion, just my favorite bits.

• Love 2

Having seen the film many times, and even appeared in a community theater production of Spamalot!, I was ashamed of myself for not thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  The only thing I could think of was The Pink Panther (which, in the original film, was the name of a diamond).  Looking it up, I see that the first Pink Panther movie came out in 1963, so way too early to fit the clue.

• Love 4

I wanted to mention that I got the Bolivia/Paraguay question because that morning I was looking at my website's traffic report and after searching the map of Africa for Uganda (smaller than I thought), I noticed that there were two landlocked countries in South America with no visitors to my site. A lightbulb went on. " That will be useful for Jeopardy" I never expected it to be useful so quickly!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Saber, I’m sorry to hear that you are having reception problems again. For someone who does so much for us here about the game, you of all people should be able to see it every day. 
  I had kind of a weird night. I cleared the category of sport’s Joe’s. That surprised me. I also came up with Zane, shrinking Violet, schlemiel & schlimazel, noshing, I Wanna Dance with Somebody, Juan Carlos and stronger. For the life of me I couldn’t understand what FJ was asking me for. I had a total blank and love Monty Python. Oh well. 

Edited to add I got Paraguay too. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

The only thing I could think of was The Pink Panther (which, in the original film, was the name of a diamond).  Looking it up, I see that the first Pink Panther movie came out in 1963, so way too early to fit the clue.

Same here.  And that was all I could come up with.

Only two ts's for me: shrinking violet and schlemiel schlimazel, plus the Carlos half of Juan Carlos.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Only two ts's for me: shrinking and schlemiel schlimazel, plus the Carlos half of Juan Carlos.

I had the Juan half of Juan Carlos.  If they ever do a team tournament, let's apply.

Pink Panther is a good guess for FJ.  I would've said Maltese Falcon just to put something down, although I knew the date was about 35 years wrong.  I couldn't think of many films from around then with objects you could purchase at Harrod's in the title.  Jewel of the Nile would've been second up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Still no NBC/Jeopardy channels today. Happy birthday to me for real. I did most of yesterday's clues on J-Archive, and got a  laugh that @WhoisMark had Ben as Ben! exclamation point. I got all of the Yiddish category, but was sorry my favorite word, verklempt, wasn't there. Maybe it was in J6. Reading here, I seem to be the only one who knew Ann Proulx. I read her Close Range: Wyoming Stories before Brokeback Mountain was turned into a movie. And of course I knew Zane Grey. Although I liked Will James' books better than Zane's.

I, too, would have bet the bank when I saw the FJ category, it was made for me. Then I saw the clue, and was all, oh, Spaceballs was later than 1975. So I had nothing, even though I saw all of the Python movies, including Holy Grail, more than once. But never would I ever have guessed that answer. Me = bankrupt.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't remember the conclusion, just my favorite bits.

Naughty bits?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

FJ was an instaget since I have been a major Python fan since  high school which was the time period local PBS stations started running episodes (middle70s).  I have a clear memory of my entire geometry class singing The Lumberjack Song to a befuddled teacher (for some reason lost in the mists of time).  Also a friend and I tried translating the Parrot sketch into French when we needed to perform something in French class - again slightly confused teacher but happy students.  I would have been really angry at myself if I hadn't gotten it.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

To all who were concerned and cared, my tv has all its channels today. A true birthday gift, from the tv gods to me. They just came back a bit ago.

Good luck to @853fisher's friend today.

As for the Laverne and Shirley theme, I could sing it when I was a kid and I can sing it now, a few years later, loud and proud. The younger set needs to watch less Netflix and more free channels that have reruns of these old shows. I could sing that theme song and all the words clear as a bell, then and now. "Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Confession time again: I am not a techie.

For some reason, when I read this thread on my phone, I can't "like" anything. Then, I log in on my laptop and I can do everything! I think it was a week or so ago, I actually figured out how to respond to more than one post like clever Clanstarling does! Lots of you do...

Saying this because sometimes I don't go all the way back when I'm catching up here, on my laptop... so if you follow my drift (it bends and waves, I know), simply know that I always appreciate the posters here!

Saber! Happy Birthday! And I'm so glad you got your tv back... happy ending to your tale of woe (I was sending you lots and lots of love because if that had been me and I was missing one of my last chances to drool over Alex, I'd be heartbroken AND p*ssed off)!

Good luck to 853Fisher's friend today - from San Diego if I remember correctly... one of my fav cities to visit! I was part of a group who Feng Shui'd Louise Hay's home there (around 1999) and the most incredible memory I have is her merry-go-round in her living room. It was exquisite. Just like she was.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I think it was a week or so ago, I actually figured out how to respond to more than one post like clever Clanstarling does! Lots of you do...

Oh Bliss, if you only knew how long it took me to be able to do that on my phone. I post mostly on my computer. The quotes with the plus sign on the far left lets you qoute multiple people. 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Still no NBC/Jeopardy channels today. Happy birthday to me for real. I did most of yesterday's clues on J-Archive, and got a  laugh that @WhoisMark here.

Iseem to be the only one who knew Ann Proulx.

...snip

Naughty bits?

I knew Proulx, just couldn't get her name out of my mouth.

More like "tis but a flesh wound."😆

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oops, see @Bliss I still mess up on my phone...

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The problem with the laverne and shirley question is we all know, of a certain age, know the song but kind of slur and mumble through the line in question.  

Sheemmmheeel......shurvitave...

Something like that. 

This woman of a certain age still manages it, along with other theme songs I wish would go away.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

To all who were concerned and cared, my tv has all its channels today. A true birthday gift, from the tv gods to me. They just came back a bit ago.

Good luck to @853fisher's friend today.

As for the Laverne and Shirley theme, I could sing it when I was a kid and I can sing it now, a few years later, loud and proud. The younger set needs to watch less Netflix and more free channels that have reruns of these old shows. I could sing that theme song and all the words clear as a bell, then and now. "Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!"

Happy birthday 🎂🎂. Just one day earlier than me!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

Happy Belated Birthday, Clanstarling! XOXOXOXO (I'm a hugger and this pandemic is starting to drive me CRAZY... just a bit... but you can't tell, right?)

Totally off topic, but I forgot in my earlier post to comment on the Naughty Bits conversation. I actually make my own version of naughty bits (not really - they're actually healthy and healing) "Bliss Bits" for friends and neighbours. If I get famous and rich for my BBits, you can all say you heard it here first! LOL

Thanks, Clanstarling for the tips, especially how to qoute people. I've been wondering 😉

• Love 3

As for the Laverne and Shirley theme, I could sing it when I was a kid and I can sing it now, a few years later, loud and proud. 

Me, too! That's the thing, when the show was on, and even for many years afterward, everyone knew that theme song. Even people who had never seen the show, knew the song. So to see the three of them stand there like statues at the question, made me feel very old 😱

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Gray (Grey?) was a favorite of mine as a kid, but I sure didn't know his first name was Pearl. Odd.

According to wikipedia: "His birth name may have originated from newspaper descriptions of Queen Victoria's mourning clothes as 'pearl grey.'"

He was born and raised in Zanesville, OH, "a city founded by his maternal grandfather, John McIntire, who had been gifted the land by Zane's maternal great-grandfather Ebenezer Zane, an American Revolutionary War patriot"; his mother's last name was Zane.

image.png.cdb65a6d17b9d99da0bf8767a4824152.png

2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Confession time again: I am not a techie.

For some reason, when I read this thread on my phone, I can't "like" anything. Then, I log in on my laptop and I can do everything! I think it was a week or so ago, I actually figured out how to respond to more than one post like clever Clanstarling does! Lots of you do...

If it makes you feel any better, I cannot for the life of me log in on my tablet. It always tells me my password is wrong, even though it's not.  (I just got an iPhone this weekend; haven't tried on there yet. Tonight I might brave putting on the screen protector that I picked up from my dad last night.)

• Love 3
On 11/24/2020 at 1:25 PM, 853fisher said:

I'm also very excited that my college thesis advisor was allowed to announce today that he will be on next Tuesday, Dec 1.  We met at his last school, but look for "a college professor from San Diego."  I think the world of him and feel he has a great base of knowledge.  He also does well under pressure.  So I believe he could do very well!  At any rate, I'm pleased he had the opportunity to meet Alex and achieve his dream to appear during such a difficult time.  Done typing now, fingers back to tightly crossed.

I take it he's the one with the blue hair? I like him already.

• Love 4

Ummmmm...I don't know about anyone else, but we're getting a repeat here in the  Detroit area... returning champ named Mackenzie something from early this year!!! Remember her because she never stood still..

Edited by Kimmmmmm

I said the North Sea.  I kind of got stuck on the English Channel, but knew it wasn't that big.  Oh well.

The only TS I got were snake and Flying Dutchman.

Didn't get any categories all right, but there were a lot that I only missed one.

I kind of felt bad for the new champ when he was trying to do all sorts of more specifics on UK, UK/GB, GB/Uk.  LOL.

• Love 3

I loved the way T.J. (Blue mohawk) got so excited about the Oooh...Fireworks category. I felt like it gave him life. I was able to come up with homestretch, Robert Iger, snake and FJ. I almost changed it to the English Channel and started calculating how long on the hovercraft I spent crossing it, and stuck with the Mediterranean. 

Thanks to @Bastet I just realized the correct spelling for Iger, but since I didn’t have to write it down as FJ (which I may have gotten away with) it still counts as a correct answer because my pronunciation was right.  

Edited by Mindthinkr
Aha moment
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I loved the way T.J. (Blue mohawk) got so excited about the Oooh...Fireworks category. 

That was funny...and then the female challenger started doing it, too. 😄 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Gray (Grey?) was a favorite of mine as a kid, but I sure didn't know his first name was Pearl. Odd.

So in the spirit of Barry and Berry, would Gray and Grey have been judged as different?  

no, sorry, I want to retract that! Let’s not go there again!

• LOL 5

Sorry to see Ryan go.  I not only enjoyed him (TJ hasn't won me over, as yet) but I've been really hoping Alex gets to see one more dominant champion before…you know.  (Well, maybe TJ will be the one.  Who knows?)

And it was a bit chilling that Alex was commiserating with Ryan about Ryan's father, when it's now less than a month to go.  Sigh.

On the plus side, TJ got the "Canadian Geography" question correct, so that probably made Alex happy.

• Love 5