Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew the Elias Howe/Sewing Machine/Dream answer - he was having a hard time with the needle. He dreamed he was surrounded by cannibals with spears. The spears all had holes in the spearhead. When he woke, he moved the eye of the sewing machine needle down near the point instead of up near the top, where a "hand" needle has its eye. VOILA!  His sewing machine finally worked.

Thanks for that explanation! After they revealed the correct answer I was thinking, "what the heck does sewing have to do with cannibal dreams?!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Thanks for that explanation! After they revealed the correct answer I was thinking, "what the heck does sewing have to do with cannibal dreams?!"

Hah! Me too! And I’m guessing Alex hoped at such times viewers will dig deeper and increase their knowledge.
Anyway, my “cannibal dreams?!!?” and having spent a couple of decades bent over sewing machines drove me to the Elias Howe Wikipedia article, which also has a fascinating bit about him having to fight Singer in court: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elias_Howe

I wonder if there was a Jeopardy answer a couple of decades ago something like: 
Although many sewing machines are referred to as “Singers” just as tissues are often called “Kleenex” regardless of brand, this 19th century inventor filed the patent first on the design of the needle that makes sewing machines work. 

Maybe the category would have been “Known By Another Name.”

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I thought for sure I would run the Great Lakes category but I got a little confused on the last one and said St. Marys River instead of Straits of Mackinac, even with straits right in the clue.  Boo hiss to me.

I did get the ts's of wise, New York, Champlain, and Hundred Years War.

Instaget FJ kept me from being skunked this week. I did a search on the archives and Malta has been the FJ answer 13 times, including last night's FJ.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Friday's opener was a younger AT with a darker grey mustache.

I was happy to see the Great Lakes category since I'm familiar with all of them and have touched a toe to each one (except Huron). Did anyone else think the Edmund Fitzgerald was going to be a clue again? Just me?

I said Hundred Years War for that clue answer and don't have any reason why I knew that, except that it's a common answer on this show.

I also know Cancer is the moon sign, but was a little uncomfortable when AT pointed to himself and said he was Cancer.

Side note for the last clue revealed, answer: Canaan. There is a Canaan dog, approved as an AKC breed rather recently, in 1997. It is the native dog of Israel.

I came up with some wrong (again) guess for FJ, but after the answer was revealed, I was with @Trey, Malta is a go-to answer on this show and I should have remembered that. You know, like the Hundred Years Wars. And Hamilton in Season 36.

• Love 5

So... is it the newest craze to wear eyeglasses with one lens square-shaped and the other round? There've been a couple of contestants lately wearing them. I just need to keep up with the times!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bliss said:

So... is it the newest craze to wear eyeglasses with one lens square-shaped and the other round? There've been a couple of contestants lately wearing them. I just need to keep up with the times!

I had never seen this before TJ was on. I actually googled because I wasn't sure I was imagining things. (Found similar glasses under "shopping" results and then I googled TJ for good measure to get a better look at them on him.) Now I'm probably going to start noticing them everywhere. (I would think seeing different shapes on each eye would be distracting. I mean, I normally look past the frames of my glasses, but I can still see them; but I guess you get used to it.)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I said Hundred Years War for that clue answer and don't have any reason why I knew that, except that it's a common answer on this show.

I got that one but might have missed it if the category hadn't been "H"istory.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Jeopardy curse strikes again? Days after a Laverne & Shirley clue, Squiggy (of Lenny & Squiggy) has died.

Well, that is sad.  I did know he wasn't in good health. 

He and Michael McKean made such a great team as Lenny and Squiggy.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Jeopardy curse strikes again? Days after a Laverne & Shirley clue, Squiggy (of Lenny & Squiggy) has died.

Wow, I did not know that sad news. What a crummy day it is. Damn that Jeopardy Curse.

• Love 4

That wiki entry about Elias Howe does mention that the Beatles' "Help" was dedicated to him.  I'm not sure how I knew it, but I knew he invented the sewing machine before I saw "Help."

I forgot the H category, too, or I would have gotten the Hundred Years' War. 

Even though AT was born in July and is, indeed, an astrological Cancer, I wish he wouldn't have made that gesture.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Remember vacations? 

No, what is that?

I thought of you all last night!  I had a few trying moments on the way to dinner al fresco and had to turn back.  I ended up waiting for a light to change behind a particularly ebullient group.  When I'm in one of my little moods, I am wont to consider any expression of joy in my presence a grave personal affront.  I rolled my eyes to myself as they chattered away.  Then we got the "walk" signal, and before I could jog ahead, they linked arms and skipped into the crosswalk, hollering into the night: "schlemiel, schlimazel, Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!"  That shook me out of it. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
g, not c
  • LOL 10

I did pretty well with the Trading category (oddly enough). I thank Randall Pearson of This Is Us (which was a clue on Friday) for the fact that I knew what futures are.

Got all the planets except Neptune.

Got the TS of Hawaii!

Despite his plaid jacket/flowered shirt combo, I like John so I'm glad he won.

• Love 2

John is okay, but he needs to stand still.  Especially when he's wearing that jacket.

I did not get FJ.  I said minotaur, knowing it was wrong.  I don't think I knew unicorns were in the Bible.  Are they only in the King James Version?

It made me very sad that no one knew Sequoyah.  I got that, void, and diminuendo.  

• Love 2

I briefly considered unicorns, but didn't remember seeing them in the bible, nor do I think of them like Yaks.  I ended up saying nothing. 

I got the TS of void, diminuendo, and Hawaii.

I go the entire categories of Empty and U before E, but pretty lackluster overall.

• Love 1

Good thing we get Jeopardy! on 2 different channels channels. The channel that shows it at 7 pm was showing foorball, but we were able to see it on the other channel that shows it at 7:30pm.

I got FJ but doubted myself because I have no memory of unicorns being mentioned in the Bible, and I grew up on the KJV. Thanks again to Rick Steves, I remembered him talking about the significance of unicorns in Medieval art and its relationship to Christianity.

• Love 1

I was surprised that they accepted the answer of ventriloquism instead of Dummy. It wasn’t what they were asking for and you could see him look towards the judges. 
       My only TS was Hawaii. 

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ.  I said minotaur, knowing it was wrong.  I don't think I knew unicorns were in the Bible.  Are they only in the King James Version?

Just for funsies, I googled what verses the unicorn was mentioned in and then looked one up in my NIV and it was translated wild ox.  Now I feel better that I haven't been missing unicorn sighting all over the place in my bible:)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Unicorns?! I didn’t know unicorns are in the Bible. Did I? 

I vaguely knew they were in there but had no idea in what context.

1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

SMITH is not a BMS?

I guess if you're talking economists it's the only Smith anyone knows...?

59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was surprised that they accepted the answer of ventriloquism instead of Dummy. It wasn’t what they were asking for and you could see him look towards the judges.   

I was surprised by that, too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Unicorns?! I didn’t know unicorns are in the Bible. Did I? 

Now you do!

I said minotaur for FJ as well. Hey, they have horns. For some reason, a Rainbow Brite unicorn just doesn't fit in Bible class for me.

Today's opening was AT in Spartan garb. This disspells the thinking that the same AT clip is used on same days.

John stole TJ's hair.

I hope readers here appreciated my side note from some episodes back that said Grant Wood's American Gothic is in the Chicago Art Institute.

You're welcome.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

It was news to me too that there were unicorns in the Bible.  I hope none of the following people are here on the forums: my parents who took me to Mass weekly, Fr. Gabriel who taught the Old Testament when I was in middle school, the nice lady who drove me to church in college, etc.  Speaking of the Bible, I thought the Genesis 1:2 clue wanted pinning to a specific translation.  I said "empty," which BibleStudyTools.com says appears in several.  "Desolate" and "unfurnished" should also have been acceptable, according to that source, and probably some others too.

"Ventriloquism," on the other hand, I would not have accepted.  No one has ever said "ventriloquism puppets" until now.  That's OK but "Barry" got dinged for "Barry"?  (Sorry, it had been over a week since the last time that came up, never forget!)  "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" is a great option if you'd like to bone up on your Charlie McCarthy and another ventriloquism puppet, Mortimer Snerd.  It also features WC Fields, Constance Moore, Rochester, and subtly named characters like "Whipsnade" and "Bel-Goodie."

I've never thought of what "desert island" really means, so that woke me up.  It was funny to see "Wyatt Earp" come up: the contestant who came up with him and Doc Holliday was just a little early.  I think I might have been able to name it anyway, but I knew definitively that "Birth of Venus" is in the Uffizi from the GameBoy Color version of this show that I enjoyed on so many car rides, which is a happy memory.  And finally, just for fun, here's the song I think of when I hear "Constantinople": it's not the one you think.

40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I hope readers here appreciated my side note from some episodes back that said Grant Wood's American Gothic is in the Chicago Art Institute.

I was surprised I knew that and thought it was probably just because I've looked up what's in Chicago in the past and couldn't think of any other "Art Institute of _____."  But maybe it was you after all!  Danke schön.  1600 quatloos to you.

Edited by 853fisher
formatting
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Another person stumped by FJ here. I knew unicorns were in Medieval art as Christ symbols, but I never thought they were actually mentioned in the Bible. I said Leviathan, although I was pretty sure that’s depicted as a kind of sea monster.

I also was surprised that the “ ventriloquism “ answer was accepted. But the correct answer made me think of an old Carol Burnett skit, not on her original show but the later one. She played a ventriloquist who wants to marry her “partner.” When the minister calls him a dummy, she exclaims, “We don’t say dummy, we say wooden person!”

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

An inauspicious beginning to another week.

Diminuendo was my only ts and I had not a clue for FJ.

I missed the first minute of the game, which always tosses me off my stride but it was just not a great game for me.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I fell asleep AGAIN! I woke up to say, "Sequoyah" and the next thing I knew, Bosco was meowing in my face and "The Voice" was on. Damn! I keep sleeping through AT's last shows.

OMG you have a cat named Bosco??

I have a dog named Bosco!

• LOL 2

John's outfit was much easier to look at today. Cody's hair, on the other hand, was a tad distracting.

Usually I'm looking away when the end theme music plays; now I find myself looking up every time when it goes silent while the dedication to Alex is on the screen.

• Love 4

I got FJ but it was a guess.  Still counts.

I got the TS of William and mary, Josephine and Robert Ludlum.

I got the entire category of founding fathers right and the entire category of entertainment wrong.

I do need to live in an alternatue universe where Henry VIII and Catherine the Great get married.  That'd be a sight.  Neither one made the best spouse, but maybe they'd do better together.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

No idea for FJ tonight, either!  I hope it gets better for the rest of the week.

Of course I got William and Mary.  I'd have to return my degree from there if I'd missed that one.  And thanks to taking Physics there, I got thermodynamics and flywheel.  Other TS I got include Lerner and Loewe, Josephine, and Peter Frampton.  I guess Frampton was before their time.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

No idea for FJ tonight, either!  I hope it gets better for the rest of the week.

Of course I got William and Mary.  I'd have to return my degree from there if I'd missed that one.  And thanks to taking Physics there, I got thermodynamics and flywheel.  Other TS I got include Lerner and Loewe, Josephine, and Peter Frampton.  I guess Frampton was before their time.

I got Frampton mostly from the hint at "Show Me the Way" in the clue. The album in question came out only a few months after I was born.

Also got flywheel and Josephine. And the "protein" half of vein and protein.

• Love 1

Right there with you Browncoat - i think they'd take the degrees and throw them and possibly us off Crim Dell bridge.  Today I was remembering being in my dorm room there at Jefferson when I heard about John Lennon dying so I was already feeling old - I didn't need the young whippersnappers not knowing Peter Frampton. And thanks to many history classes at W&M, I too like the idea of the parallel universe where Henry VIII married Catherine the Great.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got Frampton mostly from the hint at "Show Me the Way" in the clue. The album in question came out only a few months after I was born.

Arrgghh. Between “live” and “show me the way” I was struggling unsuccessfully to dredge up Frampton. And I was in college, whippersnapper, so that’s my excuse. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Arrgghh. Between “live” and “show me the way” I was struggling unsuccessfully to dredge up Frampton. And I was in college, whippersnapper, so that’s my excuse. 

Did you just call me whippersnapper?!?!

• LOL 5
48 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

After first thinking huh, I did think of Socrates because he was the only person I could think of who was arrested. 

For me it was Socrates because it sounded like something he would say and also "Ancient." For a second my brain tried to tell me it was 17th century or thereabouts and I almost switched to Galileo, but then I verified it was "Ancient."
But I pretty much only got the DDs and FJ because there's a few seconds to ponder those.
I'm blaming it on having more migraines as a side effect to new osteoporosis meds and so having to take more migraine meds which makes me slower to compute.
But I'm not as fast as all y'all seem to be anyway.
Although now that I know Jeopardy tends to re-use answers, I might catch up if the show stays on. 
I would be surprised if it doesn't continue in some form.
I'm just really wishing I'd sat with my parents and participated more while they were still alive, so this is a way to sort of connect now.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Did you just call me whippersnapper?!?!

I’m sorry. Was that you on my lawn?  (Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that there are sentient beings who are younger than I am )

• LOL 8
  • Love 1