Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I loved the way T.J. (Blue mohawk) got so excited about the Oooh...Fireworks category.

I just saw the (progressive?) commercial- “we all see it... he has blue hair!”

• LOL 12

I wasn't sure about Garros, but I knew the English Channel wasn't that wide, plus I knew Louis Bleriot was the first to fly across the Channel. Being he was French, the Med was the other body of water that made sense.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

In the past I only saw Jeopardy when visiting my parents, but now that I am not working when it's on, and now that both of my parents are gone, I find comfort in Alex's final shows --kind of like I'm carrying on the family legacy.
I can't say whether I will continue with the new host, but many of the old reruns will be new for me. 
I see on J-Archive that shows were filmed that didn't show here last week because of sports.

Anyway, today for the first time I knew a "question" before Alex finished reading the "answer."
It was "ON MY READING LIST" for $1600 (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6882).
(Not sure yet of what are spoilers for this thread, but this↑ seems safe for as-yet undiscussed items.)

• Love 5

Happy birthday indeed to saber, one of our sharpest members.  Two things to toast tonight!

Yes, T.J. with the good hair was in a past life my very patient thesis advisor.  He is such an empathetic and inquisitive person, qualities that serve him well in the pursuit of knowledge.  So many who know him do the point and "we'll talk," because he's even more magnetic in person, and he always shares incredibly generously.  I can't wait to see what they pick up on tomorrow for the interview.

I am genuinely thrilled that he pulled the win off.  I could sense just when he hit his stride.  I expect I will still be a nervous wreck tomorrow, but I think he'll do even better.  Frustratingly, the show is preempted for the Rockefeller Center special in his TV market, but I'm sure we'll figure something out.  I can only imagine what watch events there would have been under other circumstances!

43 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

TJ got the "Canadian Geography" question correct, so that probably made Alex happy.

I cackled when it came up.  We attended the same small church and looked forward to the annual visit from the pastor's parents.  I think they lived in Alberta, but it might have been one of the other prairie provinces.  I'm a bit giddy to remember right now.  Anyway, we all used to joke that only to someone from up there would winter in rural Virginia be preferable, weather-wise!  I knew he had that one in the bank.

I fell for English Channel.  The clue specified 460 miles.  I think the length to be swum in some early triathlons was 460 meters?  I don't know, potato potahto, as long as I'm not in the water.  There was a lot else I didn't know tonight, but I had a lot of fun!  World AIDS Day, and especially the many elders my communities have lost, has been on my mind today so I appreciated a clue alluding to treatment advances.

Now can it be tomorrow around this time already?  Pretty please?

Edited by 853fisher
spacing weird, too amped
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just saw the (progressive?) commercial- “we all see it... he has blue hair!”

I thought of that, too!  

FJ was almost an instaget -- my first thought was the English Channel, but only for a second, since I knew it wasn't that wide.  The Mediterranean was the only one that made sense to me.

I got lots of TS, including homestretch, fishing, Bali (wild guess), Terror, Hoppin' John, snake, and Flying Dutchman.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

(Not sure yet of what are spoilers for this thread, but this↑ seems safe for as-yet undiscussed items.)

If you go back to page 1, the first post says, "Posting about the day's episode should happen after 7PM ET. Before that, it is considered spoilers so please tag it."

• Useful 1

Home stretch was a surprising TS, as was snake (especially with the wrong answers for both not setting at least one of the other two contestants on the right path).  Bali, too, a bit.  And Iger a little bit, only in that no one even guessed him or Eisner (I figure those are the two CEOs who don't have the last name Disney people have heard of).

Science-podge and Sports Idioms were the only categories in the first round I ran, but I only missed one each in the other four, so not too bad.  It was a different story in DJ; I must have missed at least a dozen.  I got FJ handily, at least.

Right there with you Kimmmmmm trying to figure out what was going on with WDIV.  I honestly started to wonder if I had fallen into some Jeopardy trance and forgotten who the players should be.  Then I remembered the Holy Grail at Harrods and knew something was up.  I tried to watch but got irritated by the swaying and bailed.  

I went to J Archive to see what FJ was - made an educated guess and confirmed it by reading more about Garros online.

• Love 4

I closed my eyes after the FJ category was announced.  I woke up during "Wheel."  I was absolutely certain I was awake for the entire J! show, but I can see from the answers y'all are discussing, I must have dozed through most of the show without being aware of it. I'm beginning to worry about myself. I did get several of the answers/questions you're discussing, like Flying Dutchman and some of the HOP clues.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to saber5055 -- VERY happy you got your channels back!!

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I closed my eyes after the FJ category was announced.  I woke up during "Wheel."  I was absolutely certain I was awake for the entire J! show, but I can see from the answers y'all are discussing, I must have dozed through most of the show without being aware of it. I'm beginning to worry about myself.

This sounds terribly familiar. I saw a Reddit thread about sponsored categories (Mariah Carey’s book etc) and it remarked on a category on Disney musicals on “Friday’s show.” Well, um, what? There was no such category. I’ve dozed off but always rewound, surely? I was really doubting myself until I noticed a comment along the lines of “I think you got a rerun from last season.” Phew! 😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

This sounds terribly familiar. I saw a Reddit thread about sponsored categories (Mariah Carey’s book etc) and it remarked on a category on Disney musicals on “Friday’s show.” Well, um, what? There was no such category. I’ve dozed off but always rewound, surely? I was really doubting myself until I noticed a comment along the lines of “I think you got a rerun from last season.” Phew! 😉

I have an antenna, no cable, and the damn connector doesn't have a comparable connector on my DVR, so I cannot record anything. Bummer.  I could buy a converter box with the proper connections, but I don't want yet another box of electronic stuff on my shelves. It's just not THAT important.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have an antenna, no cable, and the damn connector doesn't have a comparable connector on my DVR, so I cannot record anything. Bummer.  I could buy a converter box with the proper connections, but I don't want yet another box of electronic stuff on my shelves. It's just not THAT important.

When we decided to go cable free, we got the antenna first, to make sure we could get Jeopardy - the only show that mattered to us. Then we resurrected our old Tivo (with lifetime whatever), and it worked beautifully, so we are able to record it. Though truthfully, we watch it every night and don't really need to record it, we just let it get a little bit ahead so we can fast forward through the commercials.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bliss said:

Happy Belated Birthday, Clanstarling! XOXOXOXO (I'm a hugger and this pandemic is starting to drive me CRAZY... just a bit... but you can't tell, right?)

Totally off topic, but I forgot in my earlier post to comment on the Naughty Bits conversation. I actually make my own version of naughty bits (not really - they're actually healthy and healing) "Bliss Bits" for friends and neighbours. If I get famous and rich for my BBits, you can all say you heard it here first! LOL

Thanks, Clanstarling for the tips, especially how to qoute people. I've been wondering 😉

Thank you! I've never been a hugger, but virtual hugs are totally fine. As it turns out, we're hermits by nature, so working from home and being our own little unit works for us.

You're welcome - I used to be a tech writer and I can't stop myself from telling people how to do things - whether they want to know or not. Glad you wanted to know.

• Love 7

TJ is so cool! Hope he does well - typed with crossed fingers so I don't jinx him.

My ts's were Elementary (loved that show!), fishing, hoppin' john, plus the missed DD of Flying Dutchman.

Re FJ, my son came up with Mediterranean before I could put any real thought into it. Which is fine since I'm not sure I would have thought of it.

• Love 5

I can't believe WDIV screwed us again, Kimmmm and Grundoon. Pre-emptions, then not airing the Alex tribute after he died, now this. I thought they were airing repeats early, then no FJ, then I see EVERYONE ELSE in the country got the new episode. People have posted on WDIV's FB pages but of course radio silence from the station. 

• Love 1

No spoilers for today’s show: it is a bit early for thread policy. Two observations instead. I was giving my full attention to the screen at FJ today, and I noticed for the first time how beautifully the backdrop lights ripple from blue to red. Also, there is something a little wonderful about watching a challenger give their first correct response and take that fraction of a second to drink it in before plowing ahead.

Very sorry for those with WDIV problems. I wonder whether any other channel had them? It all sounds very strange and has been commented on everywhere I looked about yesterday’s show, but all reports appear to be from that affiliate and no others.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I can't believe WDIV screwed us again

We sometimes make up snarky phrases for a station's call letters. "We Daily Inconvenience Viewers" maybe?

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I can't believe WDIV screwed us again, Kimmmm and Grundoon. Pre-emptions, then not airing the Alex tribute after he died, now this. I thought they were airing repeats early, then no FJ, then I see EVERYONE ELSE in the country got the new episode. People have posted on WDIV's FB pages but of course radio silence from the station. 

Naturally!!

25 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

We Do It Verybadly

* "Curb Your Enthusiasm" theme plays me out *

Both very good!!!

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget, but I was worried with frankenstein.

I got the TS of Mason-Dixon, gibbon, Paul, and Jupiter.  

I got the the entire category of G crossword clues right.

I did poorly during the first round, but made up for it in double.

6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Well, at least you got to see some repeats. Today NBC aired a football game all afternoon, pre-empting Jeopardy again. So out of three episodes this week, I got to see one. No one knows what tomorrow might bring.

Yesterday, I thought the Cartwright's cook would be a clue in the HOP category. I got Hoppin' John, and know that bad luck befalls anyone who does not eat their black-eyed peas on New Years Day.

I also got Snakes (not literally, although I thought about catching the one in my front yard last week). When I was a kid, sparklers, snakes and caps were the only "fireworks" we had. Snakes were kind of expensive and left black marks on the sidewalks, much to the frustration of our moms. More plentiful were caps. We'd get a roll, lay them out on the sidewalk and go to town with a hammer. Back then all of us kids had cap guns to play cowboys, and it was easy to buy cheap rolls of caps.

I was sorry to see Ryan go, he was a good player and a favorite. Hope he makes it to the TOC. When I saw TJ's photo on TFJ site, I stopped to look twice, I thought he had a scrubbie on his head. I have a pink one, would love a purple one. I have to say, he was a good player and I loved his 'hawk. Congrats on his win, even though he beat my fav Ryan.

FJ was an instaget: English Channel. What, you mean it isn't that wide? I guess Tuesday was yet another case of "fool me."

• Love 3

I also said The Count of Monte Cristo for FJ today.  I don't think I ever would have come up with Moby-Dick, since I've never read it.

Not my best night, but I was trying to multi-task and half-listen to a Zoom meeting at the same time.  I only got ear and two of the TS.  And yes, I had myself muted on the Zoom meeting!

• Love 1

The Mason-Dixon Line TS surprised me.  So did Peterbilt and ear.

I was expecting a little bit of pay attention snark from Alex about T.J.'s NRDC = Greenpeace answer.

I missed two of the hip hop clues (but got the two that stumped the contestants) and Mecca, but otherwise ran the first round.  In DJ, though, I only ran the crossword clues; I missed several in the prophets category, and one each in all the others.  I didn't even have a guess for FJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Is it just me, or does it seem that Alex’s suits look a bit loose this week? 🙁

As I recall, the shooting schedule was 3 days a week for 2 weeks a month, which gave them 6 weeks of shows.  But the producer said they taped the last week of shows with 3 episodes one day and 2 the next. Not sure if they finished the 6 week block or if they had to stop. I am kind of nervous to watch to be honest.

Well TJ was entertaining while he lasted.  I don’t think I would have noticed the glasses if someone had not pointed it out,.

• Love 3

I am a little sad that after Alex saying at the beginning that he was enjoying the stiff intellectual competition of the recent episodes, that this one kind of unraveled in FJ.

I blurted out the question “alternate universe!” before Alex or I had finished reading the answer. I wonder if I was back at my parents’ house when they were still alive, if my dad would have just been happy that I knew it, or if he would have been worried about why I knew it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I am a little sad that after Alex saying at the beginning that he was enjoying the stiff intellectual competition of the recent episodes, that this one kind of unraveled in FJ.

Me too. although I would have said Frankenstein also. The word "supernatural" threw me, since I've never read Moby Dick.

I'm happy for Leslie--I love those twist endings where the player in a distant third ends up winning--but I don't see her lasting long. I hope I'm wrong about that.

• Love 3

Not a great night. I got Peterbuilt, ear, and didn’t get FJ. I think I saw a movie trailer where the Invisible Man was going after someone since he had the anonymity of not being seen. So that was my guess. To me Moby Dick came out of left field. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yesterday, I thought the Cartwright's cook would be a clue in the HOP category.

Got that reference right away! 🙂

11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought FJ was The Count also. American Lit didn’t even occur to me. 

I said "Mr. Hyde" - and it looked like the new champ started to right that (to me at least). As for Frankenstein, I was set to be crabby if they accepted it - as Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster. Totally should have gotten Ahab - though that's one American novel I've managed to avoid for all these years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

As for Frankenstein, I was set to be crabby if they accepted it - as Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster.

He very well may have meant the doctor, though.  IIRC, in the book, the doctor went chasing the monster all over the place trying to get revenge because the monster killed his sister.  It's been a long time, though, so I may have that not quite right. I do remember, though, that the doctor was chasing the monster.  And when I was worried about it being the correct answer (I had answered Captain Ahab, but was by no means certain of its correctness), I was thinking that if it was right, it would be the doctor, not the monster.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am sorry TJ lost but glad Leslie won.  She was in the perfect position going into FJ and it worked for her.

My ts's were Peterbilt, ear, and gibbon.

Did not get FJ. I said 'headless horseman', but that's a short story rather than a novel. That clue would never have led me to Moby Dick, since I've never read it and probably never will.

• Love 2

I actually read Moby Dick (many years ago) but do not recall any supernatural aspects to Captain Ahab's (attempted) revenge. Can anyone explain? Maybe the meaning of the word has changed?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Driad said:

I actually read Moby Dick (many years ago) but do not recall any supernatural aspects to Captain Ahab's (attempted) revenge. Can anyone explain? Maybe the meaning of the word has changed?

Andy Saunders on his The Jeopardy Fan site explained it was a quote from the book,

The full quote, from Chapter 41 of the book: “Ahab had purposely sailed upon the present voyage with the one only and all-engrossing object of hunting the White Whale. Had any one of his old acquaintances on shore but half dreamed of what was lurking in him then, how soon would their aghast and righteous souls have wrenched the ship from such a fiendish man! They were bent on profitable cruises, the profit to be counted down in dollars from the mint. He was intent on an audacious, immitigable, and supernatural revenge.

The Jeopardy Fan

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

it was a quote from the book

Thank you, I saw that, but I wonder whether the meaning of the word supernatural has changed, or I forgot some aspect of the plot.

• Love 1

I loved that the lady in the middle won.

I would be happier if it were someone with more of a personality and who is a better player. For the folks who track every question, category, game, and player, I wonder who the "worst player" was who actually won. That is, answered the fewest questions correctly, and/or had the least amount of money.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was a little too proud of myself yelling "Peterbilt!" right away because in the 1980s and 90s in the northern California mountains I was often driving behind a Peterbilt mud flap.

You no doubt also saw a lot of silver reflective reclining ladies. I got Peterbilt over on the Archive. For future reference, know that trucks with a bulldog logo are Macks, with the Mack word also in an oval. Peterbilt's founder, Peterman, made me laugh. (Seinfeld reference.)

I read Moby Dick and saw the old movie, but I'm with @Driad, I have no clue why Ahab would have said his chasing the white whale was "supernatural." I think The Invisible Man was a good wrong answer, he was quite supernatural and a very bad person. I first thought Dracula, he's pretty evil and supernatural both, but I thought the year was wrong. So I went with Frankenstein, and yes, the doctor, not the monster, who really had no cognitive thinking ability to say he was out for revenge. Dr. Frankenstein never got around to giving the monster a proper name, more's the pity.

Not surprised FJ was an asterisk.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Whew! I thought it was just me and my crowded out old memories. Plus I'm not sure I actually *finished* the book. 

12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I read Moby Dick and saw the old movie, but I'm with @Driad, I have no clue why Ahab would have said his chasing the white whale was "supernatural."

Okay. I just Googled these terms:
      moby dick "supernatural"
At least one study guide essay makes the case for Moby Dick being "preternatural" rather than "supernatural," but that's not enough to bring back TJ or the other guy. 😞

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Dr. Frankenstein never got around to giving the monster a proper name, more's the pity.

In mythology etc., knowing someone's name gives you power over them, so a nameless monster would be more frightening. (A bit surprised Moby Dick had a name.)

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

kay. I just Googled these terms:
      moby dick "supernatural"
At least one study guide essay makes the case for Moby Dick being "preternatural" rather than "supernatural," but that's not enough to bring back TJ or the other guy. 😞

I believe that's a direct quote from the book, though. Not something Jeopardy made up.

• Useful 1

I'm not certain I ever finished the novel either, but I seem to recall that the Pequod crew wondered whether the whale had supernatural powers.  Perhaps Captain Ahab was calling those powers unto himself?  The connotations of the word may well just have changed too, as suggested earlier.  "Supernatural" definitely got me thinking about phantoms etc.

Anyway, congratulations to Leslie.  When was the last time we had a twist ending like that?  Perhaps today's boards will suit her better. or she'll have proven to herself that she can do it and will really go full steam ahead.  I picked up a few triple stumpers and cleared Crossword Clues.  I also got a kick out of "Who is fur-me?"  "Yes, Enrico Fehrrrrrmi."

Sorry to see T.J. go, of course.  Maybe for Christmas I will have someone make up our star charts or what have you so we can figure out the other ways Jupiter is making life difficult for us. 😉 One unexpected fringe benefit of my friend appearing was getting to see a great deal of camaraderie among the contestants.  I'd always wondered how things really are in the studio.

When I did a local station's quiz bowl, I thought it might be an opportunity to meet interesting new people, but I remember the three schools went to separate corners of the green room and just sort of mean-mugged each other in between reviewing our world capitals.  Now that I can put their names in context, I've been seeing some of his opponents and others from that tape date on social media exchanging not just niceties about the game but recipes, thoughtful comments on news articles, etc.  A little bonhomie can give one a little hope these days!

• Love 8