Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Closing Time

• Start Topic

Capt. Sandy and Kiko find themselves at a crossroads after a critical dinner; Hannah fights to maintain control under the weight of a stressful season; on a guest excursion into Valldemossa, Rob and Jess up the ante in their relationship.

Airs August 3, 2020.

• Love 1

My late, late comment from the end of the previous thread that no one will end up reading as I'm so far behind:

I haven't been commenting for awhile, but I admit that I am rather surprised at the venom for Malia in this forum.  She's seemed to be the most competent and least trouble of anyone.  I know that she gets along well with Captain Terrible, but does that somehow take away from her job performance?  Complaining that she dove in the water to attend to an emergency seems almost a tell that one has to search to give her shade.

• Love 13

I probably wouldn’t have fired Kiko, but worked with him to help him achieve greatness. The fact remains though that he does have some large holes in his aptitude as a chef. That duct tape wrapped around his cut finger is unacceptable… Most chefs would’ve covered that up with a rubber glove for sanitary purposes.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, pieinmyeye said:

I obviously missed something. Why all the pizzas when Kiko made an entire meal?

Pizzas for the crew's dinner.  Captain Sandy - that benevolent soul (I wish there was a sarcasti-font here, LOL!), after firing the Chef, but demanding he stay and work to make her look good, decided that Kiko didn't have to cook for the crew and sent Alex and Sneaky Pete out for pizza.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

Good luck Kiko!!!

Well Hannah, you created that awful menu.  I wonder what the guests think after watching this.

Not smart to fire the chef mid-charter.  Sandy was very lucky he stayed.

Captain Cranky simply had to tell him the meal was bad, no more fried food, do what you used to do and drop it.  Her management “skills” are horrible.  So she fired her nephew.  Bfd  Now she wants to “build him up” to save her sorry ass.

The island is magnificent!  I really don’t care much about all the lovebirds.  Rob needs to pay attention to his job.

Malia is really turning into Sandy Jr., ratting on Hannah.

Then of course Sandy has to hover in the galley.  I kept picturing a cartoon frying pan to her face.  Kiko should tell her to gtfo or he stops cooking.

This “entertainment” is really lame.

I hope her new chef is worse than (ed) Mila.  Would serve her right.  But no, we’re going to get this set-up with Malia’s squeeze.  ugh

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 23
9 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

Bravo and their lackey, Capt. YAWN just killed this show for me. As Kiko walked down the dock I walked with him and away from this show.

Bye ship, Bye show, I am OUT!!

Well, I dunno, that's a bit of an oversell, at least for me.  He wasn't THAT brilliant.

Edited by Lassus
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Lassus said:

Well, I dunno, that's a bit of an oversell, at least for me.  He wasn't THAT brilliant.

I never said he was brilliant, but he was compent, hard working, passionate about his food and the majority of the food looked good but he made some mistakes timing and food choices for the LV dinner.

• Love 12

Did I miss the tip meeting or did they not show it? Felt like Sandy announced on the radio to get ready for the tip meeting but then rest of scenes were Kiko leaving.

I don’t necessarily think Sandy was wrong to want to change chefs, but to fire Kiko mid-charter was not only unnecessarily unkind, but dumb too. It could well have been that Kiko went into his cabin and didn’t come out again. And then who would have cooked? Their tip would have been way worse.

I think the decision to let Kiko go must have been made a while ago and they then arranged for Malia’s boyfriend to “visit” at a coincidentally perfect time. 

I really appreciate Malia for her competence but since Bugsy came on board she’s become smug and full of herself. 

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 23
3 minutes ago, snarts said:

Malia taking pics of Hannah's prescribed medication for anxiety? Wow. All three can take a long walk off a short pier.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't get to a TV for another few hours, can I get the 411 on this please?

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I was pretty perturbed that I didn't get to see the final tip meeting where Sandy fumbled her way through what to say because the target of her planned pontificating didn't hang around to hear her final inspirational speech.

Bravo is saving that juicy tid-bit for next week.  Should be fun after the way she weaseled around on WWHL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I hope we do get to see the tip meeting, because I am really, really curious as to what the tip was.  This group of charter guests were probably the BEST guests ever on any Below Deck!!!  They were gracious, classy, fun, and really seemed to enjoy every aspect of this trip, finding good in everything.  They even were complimentary of the Vegas dinner, even though they didn't really enjoy it.  

I'd love to see more guests like this!!  

Either they are all just very, very nice people, or they did their research before this charter and made a pact to not be "those guests".  I'm guessing they are all just nice people.

This^^ 100%,

• Love 14

Even after Sandy fired Kiko she expected him to stay and finish out the charter. What would this genius have done if he took a hike the next morning and left the boat without a chef?  And she continued to stand over him watching him in the galley. How much you want to bet that she won't be breathing down the neck of the boyfriend chef?

The preview shows there will be another drugs on board. How many times are they going to recycle this? 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Sandy is lying trash.

She asked the guests about the meal while it was being served almost every charter. Not the next day

Sandy is a lying sack of shit.

Sandy is trash.

Does Sandy NOT watch the show after it is filmed??  How can she outright lie about what is very apparent on film?  How can she not realize what a pain in the ass she is to both the charter guests and her crew?? 

I much prefer the captaining style of Captain Lee - hell, I would even be happy to see Captain Mark (was that his name) from Season 1 of Below Deck Med.  

• Love 24

I much prefer the captaining style of Captain Lee - hell, I would even be happy to see Captain Mark (was that his name) from Season 1 of Below Deck Med.  

Don't forget Sailing Yacht Captain!  Who was not Captain Ron, but was still awesome, even if I can't remember his name.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lassus said:

Don't forget Sailing Yacht Captain!  Who was not Captain Ron, but was still awesome, even if I can't remember his name.

Now we're talking, some Capt. Ron and the USS Barnacle shenanigans would be hilarious!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

This conspiracy theory brought to you by nachos.  We spent pages last season making the case that no one, not even the steak licker, is so incompetent that they can't make nachos.  And now this season, the Chef starts out making a twelve? course meal by himself that got rave reviews and then devolves to a point of getting fired over nachos. That is a coincidence that can only be brought to us by shenanigans with a sprinkle of Sandy wanting a do over.

I think it was a seven course meal for 12, but yeah, he totally killed it (with lots of support).

Queen Sandy basically leaked on WWHL that she was gunning for Kiko from Day 1 because he wasn't making pots of stock like chefs are supposed to do and she was totally shocked and disapproved of his approach.

As someone upthread said, if I was getting on a mega-yacht and saw her, I would walk away.

12 minutes ago, Lassus said:

Glenn.  Who started off well but let the whole thing collapse with Adam/Jenna, ending in the ridiculous drug raid.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

There were a lot of statements that generally she does this or typically she does that that she probably has done one time or another (when there is not camera around) but she did not do with Kiko.  

The "you never saw me doing all the dishes" BS.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
56 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I think Sandy could have clearly given Kiko the proper direction and, with full support and advice, he could have improved.  If there was ever a yacht chef that we have seen that did not make it about himself, it was Kiko.  

She kept boosting Anastasia last season, who also "CLEARLY DID NOT HAVE THE TRAINING"....she was a one person stew/chef on a small charter previously.  But, yet, Sandy kept giving her pep talks, and she did the job.  

Again, fuck you, Sandy - you're a mean, mean person and only interesting in making it all about yourself.

Oh, how I would have loved to see Leon show up as a replacement chef!!  But, we have a love interest chef just waiting on the dock until Kiko and his guitar walked away.

Captain Sandy loves the ladies so maybe It is a sexist thing. So awful. I would love to see him on Captain Lee’s boat and how he would have handled it. Good point about Anastasia!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

As stated above how would Capt. YAWN handle the following:

Chef Leon: What's for breakfast. Beef cheek omlets, What's for lunch. Beef cheek salad. What's for dinner. Beef cheeks.

Chef Mila what's to eat today for breakfast , lunch and dinner?: Old El Paso reheated crap from a can  and boxes if I can manage to do it.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

Sandy is a lying liar who lies. We have all seen the footage of Hannah telling her how bad things were with Lara and yet, to this day, she feigns ignorance. If Andy ever held anyone accountable, this would be the perfect scenario for him to address but he clearly (by his very leading questions on every episode of WWHL) hates Hannah. 

• Love 19
59 minutes ago, Lassus said:

Captain Glenn!!  He was definitely likeable enough, and actually pitched in to help when needed, but I just couldn't get past the fact that he allowed all the galley shennanigans between Adam and what's-her-name, the horrible chief stew.  

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, TV Glotzer said:

I have been reluctant to jump on the anti-Captain Sandy bandwagon, but what she did tonight was unfathomable. What competent manager informs an employee that they’re going to be fired but then expects them to stay and keep working?? I mean it’s like management 101, if not basic human decency. And made ten times worse by her endless pontificating about how excellently she runs her boat. Man, this was the worst. 

I've been trying to remember the situation with Leon when Captain Lee fired him.  I think that Captain Lee expected him to finish out the charter, as well, so maybe, just maybe, Sandy isn't that far off the mark.  And, Captain Lee didn't technically fire Leon "on the spot".  He told Leon that the charter would be his last, and then Leon said "well, I think I'll just leave right now."  I think I remember at the time, that many posters, including myself, were outraged that he would not finish out that particular charter as expected.  

Although, Captain Lee did not fire Leon in front of practically the entire crew as Sandy did to Kiko, and I think that they only had one dinner and breakfast for the guests.  With Kiko, I think it was two dinners and a breakfast.

I really hate to admit this, there isn't much difference between the two scenarios, except for the reason for the firing.  One chef nearly burned down the boat because his lack of properly cleaning the galley caused an oven fire and the other chef just sent out too much fried food and bad looking nachos for one of four dinners of a charter, which the clients may not have raved about but also did not overly complain about, either.  One other difference is that Leon was a raging, angry, no talent, mysoginistic asshole and Kiko is an extremely likable, good looking, upbeat and semi-talented nice guy.

While I am completely on Kiko's side and had tears in my eyes throughout most of this episode, this is just a little food for thought.

• Love 6