Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Closing Time

• Start Topic

I believe her because she said the same thing about Lara putting hands on her.

Lara was 1000% a terrible employee, and I haven't checked the thread for that episode, but Hannah's reaction there seemed a little batshit.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Lassus said:

Lara was 1000% a terrible employee, and I haven't checked the thread for that episode, but Hannah's reaction there seemed a little batshit.

Well Lara was intentionally, and forcefully, pushing buttons, just to get a reaction. Completely inappropriate, but (as I recall) Hannah held her temper until Lara touched her. I don't blame Hannah at all for reacting forcefully then. She finally had a "there's no argument here" that this was WAY over the line. 

• Love 12

I can see where the captain should know if one of the crew is taking Valium. It is considered a controlled substance and can have some pretty serious side effects. She could have told Hannah that she needed to tell Sandy first thing in the morning that she had Valium and had to take one. And then let Sandy handle it.  Acording to Malia even Advil or other over the counter meds. have to be admisintered by the captain. We saw Ben giving asprin to Danny on BDM season 1 when Danny had a high fever. We saw Kate giving antidiarrheal med. to the chef last year. So I bet that you don't have to go to the captain for an asprin for a headache.  I am betting that Malia did this out of spite. She was not a very nice person when she was stringing along both Adam and Wes and not being truthful with either of them a few seasons ago. 

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Acording to Malia even Advil or other over the counter meds. have to be admisintered by the captain.

If I was deck crew, I would probably be going to Sandy every night for Advil after hauling that slide in and out (but I'm an old). 

Genuine question-does this extend to guests? I mean all meds-Excedrin, blood pressure, etc (not narcotics). I'm a TD1 and would I have to find the captain every time I needed insulin? Just kidding-she is 5 feet away from the guests and cameras at all times-I would have no problem. (I'm actually on a pump, but any excuse to bust on Sandy)

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, jmcd44 said:

If I was deck crew, I would probably be going to Sandy every night for Advil after hauling that slide in and out (but I'm an old). 

I mean seriously, a woman is going to go to Sandy to put her birth control pill on her tongue every morning like a holy wafer? I'm old too, and take a bunch of stuff (not BC LOL) and would find it insulting to be "given" my statins and BP meds.

• Love 17
16 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

There might be a rule you have to declare meds and relevant medical conditions before before each season. If someone brought Valium on board and didn’t disclose it before this year’s first charter then they should be fired. I feel bad for a Hannah, if she had a better captain she might not need meds, but if she broke protocol that’s on her. Creepy Pete should have been tossed a long time ago.

Yeah, that occurred to me and that was why I said "mitigate" Hannah's wrong-doing, not put her in the clear. Presumably, Sandy's captainhands aren't wholly bound by a bunch of by-the-book-sentencing-guidelines and she would have the latitude to factor in the specifics of this particular offense.

Regardless, IF Sandy fires Hannah for using her own as-prescribed medication, for a medical condition Hannah had previously disclosed, but failed to officially report for this particular charter season...well, I'll be giving some major side-eye to Sandy and Malia, our Mavens of Safety, who have basically said, "Welp, yachties gonna yacht," when stuff like major binge-drinking is involved.

• Love 15

I could have sworn there was a Tweet from WWHL saying Malia and Bugsy were going to be on tonight and asked for questions for them to answer. The tweet is gone and different guests. I know from reading Andy’s books they often change guests last minute but kind of weird. Now I feel like I dreamed it?! 

Okay not crazy I just stumbled upon it again they are on next week...phew. People are harsh with the possible questions but I’m sure Andy won’t be to hard hitting. 

Edited by jenifaohjenny
Answered my own question
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

They also said this (emphasis mine)...

Did her reaction sway how they ultimately tipped? “Overall yes you realize things could be better,” guest Barbara Graham says. “But I think for us, it didn’t allow us to shift our tip or how we felt about the crew in general. But I do believe, yeah, it definitely does sway people.”

• Love 4
On 8/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, dosodog said:

If we take things like Valium, Xanax--mood altering drugs, you have to report it.  I managed a state liquor store, my father died, I was placed on Xanax,  I had to report it to my supervisor.   And we were union.

Marijuana is legal in my state.  But if I want to be employed as a teacher, I can't use it.

For certain prescription drugs, yes. 

In this case, the principal.  The doctor decides on dosage, etc. The school district wants to know that you are taking it.  Kids have to go to the school nurse for their medications. They have an obligation to children before anything else.  You want to work with kids, you give up some privacy.  Criminal background checks, fingerprints.

And I dont mind.  Particularly because I'm okay with certain professions being under scrutiny.  

We dont know what happened yet.  As you pointed out, Hannah's anxiety isnt new.  She is not new to yachting.  She knows the rules.  If she followed the rule of notifying and handing over her prescriptions for the last 8-10 years of yachting.....we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

If Captain Lee chose to ignore it, he's choosing to possibly be fired.  Captain Glenn went through a guest's luggage for alleged cocaine.

You're also in foreign waters.  Marijuana is legal in Jamaica. Trying to get back on the cruise ship was a nightmare because they were thorough in making sure no one brought back on goodies.  And they were zip tying the wrists of the tourists caught.

This is not true at all. At least not where I live. I am a teacher and I don't know of a SINGLE colleague who discloses their prescriptions to administration.

Yeah....if I say I'm doing meth, I'm done. They can make me do a drug test, too But there are no such rules that if you have a Xanax prescription your principal needs to know about it.

• Love 11

When did school district policies become monolithic?

This the 2nd time I have been called a liar.  I'm choosing to take the high road and remain civil and polite.

Just because your school district or state doesn't require it, doesn't mean that mine doesn't too.  If you want to share what your requirements are, please do so, but dont decide that where I work does it the way your district does.  

For example, even in my state, districts differ on policies on how to bring back kids to school this fall.  I sub for 4 different districts, in 2 different counties and not one of them share the same plans.  2 schools allow candy for treats.  2 do not.  1 school made me sign a document that I will not smoke marijuana. The other 3 didn't even mention. 

3 of the 4 districts require me to do online training.  Some classes overlap, district to district, all of them have classes the other's don't.  2 of the 3 pay me for the training, one of them doesn't. 

I am done being insulted because my experience and work requirements are not what you experience. 

I'm out.

• Love 1

Move on, y'all.  Your personal anecdotes about what drug testing/revelations are required for your jobs/regions/etc are off-topic.  Keep your comments to what happened in the episode only.  

• Love 3
On 8/8/2020 at 1:11 PM, OnceSane said:

Move on, y'all.  Your personal anecdotes about what drug testing/revelations are required for your jobs/regions/etc are off-topic.  Keep your comments to what happened in the episode only.  

Sandy is trash.

Thank you.

• LOL 3

Sorry but I have an UO on Kiko.  Those Shrek green runny mashed potatoes with tomatoes were reminiscent of Soylent Green.   A dinner consisting of fried foods ala Hometown Buffet and the biggest sin of dumping gravy on steaks (according to my father a chef nothing goes on a steak not even A1 as said steak should be perfectly seasoned, cooked and rested during preparation) shows he is way over his head for the likes of working in a upscale environment.  Compared to Adam on the sailing yacht, Kiko's dishes were a huge disappointment.  However Sandy passively firing Kiko before the end of charter was all sorts of wrong.  You bet I would've packed my knives and left immediately - short of Rocky jumping overboard but gone just as quick.  Sure sure he was concerned about everyone's tip but first thing he says to Hannah is make sure you get my tip.  And no experienced chef would ever go mainly on the word of the head server on what to serve.  And sorry the weeping was ridiculous (ducking tomatoes).     

• Love 3

So it's NOT a law that Malia MUST uphold

The only law is about illegal schedule 1 drugs. Not fucking prescribed medications for a condition Sandy et al are all perfectly aware their employee/coworker has. Spare me with this made up obligation to report as if she's snorting heroin out of a bucket in between 8 balls.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, blixie said:

The only law is about illegal schedule 1 drugs. Not fucking prescribed medications for a condition Sandy et al are all perfectly aware their employee/coworker has. Spare me with this made up obligation to report as if she's snorting heroin out of a bucket in between 8 balls.

And why people hide when they struggle with mental health. As others have stated, if they were so concerned with safety and sobriety on a boat (understandable), why turn a blind eye to crew members staggering back onto the yacht after a night on the town? 

• Love 9
On 8/4/2020 at 9:48 AM, CaliforniaLove said:

Since original recipe Below Deck had a horrible group of "men" last season, did they really have to up the ante by having the central storyline revolve around what is nothing more than 3 high school "Mean Girls"? Ooh, are they going to get their dream "cool kids" group in place by the end of the season? Fuck off.

Yes yes yes. And Satan Andy hates women.

• Love 3

This must be the worst season of below deck ever. So many people I could not work with for a minute.

Captain Sandy in my eyes is a very bad example of a captain. A good Captain stays on the BRIDGE and manages his lead personnel from there. The Captain does not go into the galley checking on the chef during the entire dinner service making him nervous. NEVER!

A Captain does NEVER go to the table to ask the guests if they liked the food (staring at the fckn Nachos and putting negativity in the guests mouth) NEVER!! That is the job of the head stewardess. Simply stupid and unacceptable behaviour of a Captain. Sandy, you are a CAPTAIN, NOT a chef, stay away from the galley, you have no business in there.

If the guests want nachos, then that is what nachos look like...........just the fact that guests have money, does not mean they know food. The same with the previous episode where the fckn vegans complained about the food. They  are vegans, they do not eat anything spectacular. A vegan will ALWAYS complain. End of the story. This is not a reason to destroy the confidence of a chef.

And then Malia....

What a bitch. 

When she was a deck hand , she slept with half the crew to work her way up, and now she goes to the captain if somebody calls her sweetheart? Snitching on Hana, talking shit about the stewardess (with the captain sitting 2m away), and then lying to the stewardess that she did not want to put her into trouble. If she was not female, but a male, she would have had her face slapped so many times for her nasty/lying/know better/double faced personality. A good captain would not appreciate a bosun snitching on her colleagues all the time.

Malia is for me the WORST bosun of all seasons together. She has her job because she is female working for a radical lesbian captain, not because she is good at it. If I was a deck hand on that boat, I would be out of there in a split second. I could not work like that.

In my eyes and experience with people, the worst ones are the snitches and suck asses. Malia is the champion. what an awful person.

Sandy and Malia are trying to cut the balls of every male crewmember on the vessel, behaving like radical feminist bitches.....

I am sick of the show.....