Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: There's a Fish in My Pants

• Start Topic

Damn, it sucks to fall out of the race like that. They were recovering so well. I almost hope they can be brought back for TAR.ca 3. 

It especially sucks that because of the injury, Rex's team stuck around despite quitting 2 tasks. Ugh. I sort've like them, but I can't support them any more.  

The tasks were interesting too; the fish tasks definitly mixed things up, and there was plenty of room for movement on the surfing and chair task. 

Hockey players won again, but they aren't unbeatable. The other team could have beat them easily if they'd noticed the clue at the surf shack earlier. 

And next week, Hong Kong! 

Another great leg with great tasks!

But really Rex and Bob? Quitting not one but TWO tasks in the same leg? I don't know how I can cheer for you now. You should have been eliminated too. You only made it through because someone else was injured.

I would have gone straight for the fish filleting task. Separating things by appearance is always much harder than it seems.

Still cheering for my hockey girls!

(edited)

Wow! Hong Kong! Nice. 

That sucks about the injury but they were one of the few teams I could stand to lose. Not that there was anything wrong with them, they seem like nice people, but they were one of the least interesting teams (to me) in a cast where I like almost everyone.  Even the few people who get on my nerves (the mom and the brother & sister) are still only mildly annoying. How rare is that in a reality show? It will be interesting to see how a group of likeable Canadians does under pressure in Hong Kong.

I can't help but root for our hockey girls. 1) Sochi  2) They're badass.  3) Sochi

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 1

The mothership can learn a few things from this version. Even with the spoon fed flights, lots of changes in positions and neither detour was easy. And ouch to the shoulder! Too bad for them, they were doing well.

Rex and Bob: I know you're fab, but come on. Please don't be that team who bumbles their way to the finale.

Next week: Hong Kong! Can't wait!

You know I was going to come in here and bitch about Bob and Rex taking not one, but TWO penalties and then they showed the promo for next week. 

WE'RE GOING TO HONG KONG, BITCHES!!!!!!!!  

By the way, Bob & Rex: you're damn lucky that the team who's name I never knew got injured or your ass would be grass. It's a damn chair. If Cormac can figure it out, you can too. 

On to the highlights:

1) Slaughterhouse Brothers just blasting through the filleting (fill-ette? WTF, Jon?  Isn't it pronounced fill-eh?) 

2) The olympians who clearly can do everything and anything (I laughed at Rex snarking "She probably has a gold medal in surfing too." Yup. Seems like it.) 

3) Sukhi and her fish in her pants. I couldn't stop laughing at her "There's something in my pants... oh it's a fish!" 

4) Audrey & Alain running in circles yelling in French trying to find the clue that's in front of their faces

5) Sukhi and Jinder thinking they were so smart in charging up their car. More like SmRt.

Memo to TPTB at TAR:Canada: Less of the "3 different flights" business.  I realize they got bunched anyway, but really don't try and discourage it. 

• Love 1

I can't help but root for our hockey girls. 1) Sochi  2) They're badass.  3) Sochi

Haha yup my feelings exactly. And Vancouver too!

I love Rex and Bob but they really got lucky with this one. It must've been frustrating, but did they know the penalty would be so high? If I had known the penalty would've been 6 hours, I would've stuck with building that chair. I mean it couldn't have exceeded four hours, right?

(edited)

I'll think some more about the episode and post about it later, but there is one place I hope they visit in Hong Kong. That's Sai Wan Military Cemetery. That's where most of the Canadian soldiers who died in the Battle of Hong Kong are buried. It's a place that more Canadians should know about, and a show like this could help make that happen.

Edited by SledDog
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just scrolled through his tweets and I don't quite understand what he's complaining about. They didn't quit and they were really 1st?  I'm fairly certain we all saw Bob Hope (hee) tell the world he will never build a chair. Or did we ALL imagine the same thing at the same time?

Also, I really dislike him after reading his timeline. The official TAR Canada account sent out a tweet asking what viewers thought of Rex & Bob quitting and Rex has been responding to almost everyone, rudely saying things like: "Have you ever heard of editing?" or "Get a life!" or calling people "bitch". And these are all people who politely responded to a tweet sent out by the official TAR Canada people.  Also, he never gives any explanation about how they got screwed over, just keeps repeating that other teams were given a pass and it was all editing. 

Edited by Rachel RSL

I definitely think Bob and Rex wanted out, or at least Bob did. He could easily have finished the netting on the chair and at least let the guy try it out. To tear it apart when it was almost finished was just stupid. Unless it was deliberately done to end up last.

I feel sorry for the married couple. I didn't have an opinon of them in the first epi but I really liked the husband telling one of the lesbian partners (sorry but at this point I can't be bothered to learn all of their names) how to tell the fish apart. Very sportsmanlike of him, considering they started out in last place.

My fav couple continues to be the hippies. I thought they might annoy me, but turns out I feel just the opposite. They are very entertaining, and I love how they approach each task.

I understood Rex/Bob taking the first penalty, but the second one made no sense to me. The hockey players are really strong same with Alain and Audrey. Rex/Bob were so lucky with the injury to Shawn otherwise they would have been history.

I just scrolled through his tweets and I don't quite understand what he's complaining about. They didn't quit and they were really 1st?  I'm fairly certain we all saw Bob Hope (hee) tell the world he will never build a chair. Or did we ALL imagine the same thing at the same time?

Also, I really dislike him after reading his timeline. The official TAR Canada account sent out a tweet asking what viewers thought of Rex & Bob quitting and Rex has been responding to almost everyone, rudely saying things like: "Have you ever heard of editing?" or "Get a life!" or calling people "bitch". And these are all people who politely responded to a tweet sent out by the official TAR Canada people.  Also, he never gives any explanation about how they got screwed over, just keeps repeating that other teams were given a pass and it was all editing. 

If Rex thinks editing is why they quit the task, then he is extremely delusional.

Considering what the Chair judge passed, (did he fail any chair that didn't collapse under its own weight, let alone under his weight?), they were fine. It's a Driftwood chair for the beach; not some fine furniture you're putting in your sitting room. Rex and Bob really seemed to be fishing for the elimination and dropped to the bottom of teams I'll cheer for.

Mom and Son did well and were a lot less annoying this time. She was still shouting but it seems the audio guys found the volume control. :)

For the fish sorting tasks, there must have been a certain number of each type of fish; that's about the only way they could tell if something was wrong (like a wayward fish slipping down into someone's pants)

I really wanted to root for Rex and Bob but they did seem disappointed that they weren't eliminated.  Did they ever get the chair tested by the judge?  That one attempt looked reasonably sturdy but did he get it tested or just decided it wouldn't pass and took it apart?

I haven't seen Rex's twitter feed but I don't understand how they could edit in a six hour penalty without them quitting the challenges.  hmmm, that is the fishy part!

(yay - Hong Kong!)

- I was wondering how they will handle the length of the penalty if they are catching the flight to HKG?  Also, I figured they would have to wait out the penalty before getting their next clue ... is that how the original TAR handles it?  

(edited)

That's disgusting that Rex & Bob are slandering the fans for their opinions.  I learned my lesson about the hashtag with TAR:US when I made a snarky comment about the Sri Lankan twins and one of the actual twins (who I guess was following the hashtag) replied to me.  While she'd replied with a "lol, whoops" self-deprecating reply, I was so embarrassed that she'd seen it. As a general rule I try not to hashtag or name tag anything on twitter that I wouldn't want the racers to see. 

That being said, for shame on Rex & Bob.  I've watched TAR for the past 24(?)+ seasons.  I've literally never missed one episode since it began.  I've never ever, ever seen a team take 2 penalties. Ever. One penalty, sure.  But never two.  It's interesting to me that 2 episodes in and three penalties have been taken. That says to me that these people aren't watchers of TAR:US.  On TAR:US taking a penalty is considered very shameful.  You take a penalty when you're at your lowest low or when maybe injury hinders you.  You never give up. Ever.  It's kind of the TAR spirit.  

And yet, here are 2 teams, 2 episodes in taking penalties. What gives?  I'm actually shocked at how flip Bob & Rex were when they threw out the option.  That's not how the penalty should be treated.  It's not a "give up" option.  I think with time and patience Rex at the very least should've been able to figure out the surf task.  Surfing requires balance and as a dancer he should have that.  

Annoyed as I was by the penalties, I'm thoroughly disgusted that they were calling out fans.  No, sirs. It was not an edit.  Jon said very clearly that you'd received a 6 hour penalty.  You heard that at the mat, we heard it on TV.  You obviously wanted an out to the game and for shame. So many people would kill to be on that show and you blow it away. 

(yay - Hong Kong!)

- I was wondering how they will handle the length of the penalty if they are catching the flight to HKG?  Also, I figured they would have to wait out the penalty before getting their next clue ... is that how the original TAR handles it?  

Usually the penalty is attached at the mat when they start.  So if they arrived at the mat at 1pm, then +6 hours would be 7pm.  On TAR:US they usually leave the next morning, at the am version of their arrival. Thus, the team would leave at 7am, while other teams might leave at 12:45am if they'd arrived earlier than the penalized team. 

The big difference is that on TAR:US there isn't pre-arranged flights, so teams have to fight for the best option to arrive at the destination.  So it's entirely possible that the 12:45am team won't get a flight until 9am, giving the 7am team a chance to catch up and "bunch up" with them.  

On TAR:US there have been instances where a team was hours behind.  This happened in the season before the All Star season.  One team thought they'd had a great flight, then there was a hold (at Hong Kong, I think?) on the flight and they lost hours.  It's called "The Guido Edit" which was named after a S1 team who, got a bum flight and wound up a full day behind the final 2 (or 3?) who were racing to the finish line.  Basically you'd see the top 2 teams racing against each other and then it would flash to the Guidos (the team's name) who were still doing the task we'd seen the top 2 doing the episode previously.  Ever since then it's been known as the Guido Edit if a team gets super behind the pack to the point that they're doing tasks leisurely because they know they're essentially eliminated and *cough* don't want to take penalties and *cough* want to finish strongly. 

Edited by HistoryGirl
(edited)

That's disgusting that Rex & Bob are slandering the fans for their opinions.

In all fairness, it was only Rex who was doing it. I sent their joint TAR account a message asking for clarification about what Rex meant when he basically said the show was cheating and Bob said that Rex was just frustrated.  I don't know that I buy that.  I think maybe they got a smackdown from TPTB or they realized that they were only making themselves look bad.  In any case, and this is pure speculation on my part - I'm spoiler-free, I think this almost confirms that Rex & Bob don't win.  I can't see a winning team being that bitter about how they were edited in episode 2.

Edited by Rachel RSL

And to be fair about the first team's penalty, there did seem to be legitimate health/injury issues either about to happen or happening. Them taking the penalty I have no problem with. That water was clearly colder than anyone really expected. 

But Rex and Bob, they had no real reason to take the passes. Surfing, maybe a very little; but there were still lots of teams trying to do it. Take a 5/10/15 minute breather, then head back out and try again.  Bailing out on the chair? No excuse at all; especially considering how forgiving that judge was. (The fish judges were both a lot more strict). That's probably why that part had a 4 hour penalty. (Rex said they'd take a 2 hour penalty for bailing on the surfing task and they had 6 hours accumulated by the mat)

Hell even the injured team, the guy said "Pop it back in, I'll run the camera and she'll do the surfing now.". They may not have been particularly memorable, but they certainly had the true racing spirit right to the very end. (Loved his comment about how amazing even hearing the phrase "You have been eliminated..." was; since it meant that you DID run in the race).

• Love 1

Penalities on the US version are currently 6 hours for a Detour and 4 hours for a Roadblock.  The 2 hours for a Route Marker was new to me since I don't think a team has ever bailed on that type of task before.

Bailing on 2 tasks in the same leg?  They should count their lucky stars to still be in it.

I've watched every episode of the US version of TAR and my jaw was dropping at how difficult all the tasks were on this show.  Both sides of the fish detour were equally difficult (I once tried filleting fish for a job and gave up after about half an hour) and the sorting was crazy-hard too, although I didn't understand how the judge could take such a quick look and tell them they didn't have it correct - could she count that fast?  

The 2 hours for a Route Marker was new to me since I don't think a team has ever bailed on that type of task before.

Me either.  I remember some teams in the USA one missing a route marker completely and being told to go back and find it before the official check in but I can't remember one bailing on a task at a route marker itself.  

Never having watched this show before for more than half of an episode (yes, I live under a rock) I was confused about the penalty. So the 6 hours is applied to the next episode? I assumed that it was added to their time for this task. ie. The six hours was added to the time that it took for them to reach the mat. Then they had to wait for the last team to show up to see if the penalty took their time past the last team's time. And that the only reason Rex and Bob were able to stay is because of the team that had to be eliminated due to injury. Can someone clarify? Thanks from the rock dweller.

Never having watched this show before for more than half of an episode (yes, I live under a rock) I was confused about the penalty. So the 6 hours is applied to the next episode? I assumed that it was added to their time for this task. ie. The six hours was added to the time that it took for them to reach the mat. Then they had to wait for the last team to show up to see if the penalty took their time past the last team's time. And that the only reason Rex and Bob were able to stay is because of the team that had to be eliminated due to injury. Can someone clarify? Thanks from the rock dweller.

You are correct in your assumption UsernameFatigue.  They had to sit on the bench and wait out the penalty.  The only time that teams start with a penalty is if there was some kind of error that production did not catch until after check-ins.

(edited)

I explained this above a bit. 

Let's say that Rex & Bob arrived at 1:00pm.  They were, what? The third team to arrive?  They would not be allowed to "check in" officially until their 6 hours had past.  In some cases (in TAR:US) the very last team might not make the 6 hour deadline. So Rex & Bob could've been saved by it, naturally.  Let's say that Married Couple decided to continue, got his arm in a sling, did the two tasks and hit the mat at 6pm (1 hour before the end mark of Rex & Bob's penalty).  They would be team #9 and Rex & Bob would've been sent home, provided Married Couple wanted to continue. 

As you can see the likelihood of Married Couple managing to do all of those in under 6 hours and feasibly continue on the race is pretty much next to impossible.  So they would've been the last team to arrive and would've been eliminated anyway.  Plus they couldn't physically continue because of Married Couple Guy's arm.

Once it was confirmed that Married Couple were out, Jon could "check in" Rex & Bob.  But the 6 hours still applies.  In TAR:US you leave the mat for the next leg at the exact time you arrived.  So if Olympians got to the mat at 11:16am, then they would be leaving the mat on the next leg at ___:16 (am/pm, and hour doesn't necessarily have to be the same, but the minutes are exact).  If Audrey/Alain got to the mat at 11:30am, then they'd leave at ___:30 and so on.  Rex and Bob would be 6 hours behind the Olympians.  So if the Olympians leave at 1:16pm for the next leg, Rex & Bob should be leaving at 7:___pm.  If they don't, I call shenanigans and it's a TAR:Canada-only decision, probably made because of the Air Canada-only flight stipulation. 

ETA: While I never really pay attention to it, on TAR: US the times are posted on the bottom of the screen, so viewers get a sense of how close a team like Audrey/Alain had come to be #1.

Edited by HistoryGirl

I wish that they had made it clearer to the home audience how the fish were supposed to be sorted. As it was we only saw the racers talk about the markings they were trying to go by but it was hard to know whether they were right or wrong because they failed so often. TAR: US generally does a good job of highlighting the right answer and where the teams are making their mistakes, and it makes it more engaging IMO.

The only way Rex complaining that they were betrayed by editing makes sense is if the reason they took the penalties was because production made it impossible for them to complete the tasks somehow. But the only scenarios I can come up with start to sound really outlandish and involve judges refusing to pass them even though they had done as well as any of the other teams, and then production forcing them to say "we take the penalty" without also airing their legitimate principled objections to how they were being graded . . . so it feels unlikely.

I can't believe they flew them from Victoria to Tofino rather than having them drive. It's only about, plus it is not that difficult a drive. Not only that drive is crazy scenic. The section where you drive east to west from Parksville is amazing and would have looked awesome on camera.

I was impressed by how many teams were able to get the surfing, especially without any instructions. I tried surfing in Tofino once and it is difficult. Getting the hang of paddling to catch the wave (which is tiring) and then hoping up to get on your feet at the right time is quite hard.

(edited)

I can't believe they flew them from Victoria to Tofino rather than having them drive. It's only about, plus it is not that difficult a drive. Not only that drive is crazy scenic. The section where you drive east to west from Parksville is amazing and would have looked awesome on camera.

I think driving, while scenic, would not have been a smart or safe idea. It is still almost 300kms from VIctoria,  and from what I remember when I drove to Tofino, driving the last hour or two the road was quite narrow in some spots and very windy. It isn't like you are driving a regular highway at 100 clicks an hour the whole way. Certainly not a road I would want to be travelling on with 10 cars that are in a race to get to Tofino!

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

Even if they had the contestants drive, it would probably have been cut out, like the Drive from Halifax to Saint John's last season. And one taxi driver did point out it was a 6 hour drive. (I'm impressed he knew that off the top of his head to be honest. :) ). With timings involved and wanting to keep the surfing task in daylight hours, flying was probably the safest and most expedient method. 

Having Air Canada as a sponser basically spoon feeding flights to them, I'm thinking I'm liking it. It's cutting out most of the airport drama, so we can focus on the pretty scenery outside and the challenge drama. 

• Love 1

Well, they are sponsored by an airline.

They are also sponsored by a major car manufacturer.

And I suppose that the driving might have had some risk and some logistical challenges. But at the same time this is supposed to be a race for a kick ass prize, I want these people to be challenged at every possible opportunity (including things like self-navigation). And it is not like a 5-6 hour drive somewhere is totally unheard of in the world of The Amazing Race. 

On to the highlights:

1) Slaughterhouse Brothers just blasting through the filleting (fill-ette? WTF, Jon?  Isn't it pronounced fill-eh?)

"Fill-it" and "fill-eh" are both valid. Short explanation is that the original word is French but was borrowed by the English so long ago that the French have since changed the pronunciation.

It especially sucks that because of the injury, Rex's team stuck around despite quitting 2 tasks. Ugh. I sort've like them, but I can't support them any more.  

Jon should have used some initiative and booted their asses anyway.  I mean I don't think I've seen anything as pathetic as these two on a competition reality show before.  

I definitely think Bob and Rex wanted out, or at least Bob did. He could easily have finished the netting on the chair and at least let the guy try it out. To tear it apart when it was almost finished was just stupid. Unless it was deliberately done to end up last.

His name should be "Bob No-Hope", not "Bob Hope".

Jon should have used some initiative and booted their asses anyway.  I mean I don't think I've seen anything as pathetic as these two on a competition reality show before.

It would have been cool if after the second to last team checked in, Jon had gone over to the hospital and told Jen and Shawn that Bob and Rex still had like a 4 hour penalty so if they could come back, finish the surfing and build the chair they would still be in it.

His name should be "Bob No-Hope", not "Bob Hope".

I think Bob Nope would also be acceptable.

Hee. I like those both.  Hopeless and Nope, I mean.  "Nope" may be slightly more pithy.

The more famous Bob Hope probably would have bashed this guy over the head with his golf club and called him "loser".

• Love 1

The more famous Bob Hope probably would have bashed this guy over the head with his golf club and called him "loser".

It seems hard to imagine. I mean it is only the second episode and we have already seen teams choose to take penalties in both legs. What the hell is going to happen on leg 9 or 10 when teams are completely exhausted. Maybe it is a good thing they didn't make them drive to Tofino. Someone probably would have just taken a plane ride and said they would take the penalty.

"Fill-it" and "fill-eh" are both valid. Short explanation is that the original word is French but was borrowed by the English so long ago that the French have since changed the pronunciation.

But which is the more commonly "Canadian" way? Ostensibly, Jon should say "fill-eh" since he grew up in Manitoba which has a huge French influence.  Is "fill-it" more of a West coat/Western province thing?  

It's probably about 50-50. I think most places with some french influence will say "fill-eh" (A Fill-eh o fish at McD's) but a Fish Fill-it can be what you pick up at the market or grocery store. 

I do believe that this leg may have set a record for "sheer number/proportion of Bald Snarks": a whooping six out of ten, the abstainers being both sibling teams and the eventual bottom two.

As for the greeter, I wonder if she's a descendant of the eponymous Olsen Road. (Mary-Kate and Ashley who?)

It's probably about 50-50. I think most places with some french influence will say "fill-eh" (A Fill-eh o fish at McD's) but a Fish Fill-it can be what you pick up at the market or grocery store. 

You're probably right. McD's is definitely a fill-eh, but I think most people fill-it a fish, and then after it's fill-it-ed, it's just fish. Walleye was the prize fish where I grew up (NW Ontario and Manitoba) and we definitely fill-it-ed them but I don't recall calling them anything but walleye afterwards. An un-fill-et-ed walleye was a whole fish and the fill-et-ed ones were gobbled down so quickly we didn't call them anything but yummy. :)

I live on the West Coast. My dad and brother catch a lot of salmon and fillet it. I and they have always pronounced it fill-eh. I assumed that fill-it was an American pronounciation that was being picked up by the younger generation through the media.

• Love 1

I live on the West Coast. My dad and brother catch a lot of salmon and fillet it. I and they have always pronounced it fill-eh. I assumed that fill-it was an American pronounciation that was being picked up by the younger generation through the media.

I think the most common American pronunciation is neither "fill-eh" or "fill-it", but rather "fill-ay" (unless that's the same thing you mean by "fill-eh", but I don't think it is, since the "A" sound is very noticeable in that version). 

Then again, there's really no such thing as an "American pronunciation".  We've got more dialects than even the English, debateably.  

I hope this after this leg Rex and Nope get their sh*t together.  Sure Rex is older now and somewhat out of shape, but at one point in his life to be a lead baller dancer he had to be just as in shape, just a physical, just as tough and tenacious as the hockey girls/ (I would think anyways, ballet is extemely demanding).  I hope he remembers that and brings it, or they are just going to be gay stereotypes...the weak, whiney, gay men.

I just can't support Rex & Bob anymore after this.  They gave up not once but twice in the same location.  I understand getting exhausted from the surfing and realizing it would only get harder because they were sore and tired.  But to give up on making a chair.  That was ridiculous.  Bob could have slowly worked on that a little at a time and got it completed before that penalty of hours was up.  I don't like that they took a spot on this show from people who really wanted to compete.  Face it.  They got on this show because of Rex's celebrity.  They owe it to the viewers to at least try and run the race. 

• Love 1