Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Digital Marketing Campaign

• Start Topic

The five remaining designers are challenged to create a two-look collection and a digital marketing campaign. In addition to a fashion show, the designers will have to act as creative directors in a photo shoot with their models. In an epic and rainy fashion show, some of the designers shine, while others get washed out.

Original air date: 4/17/20

Esther's back to black - what a shock. I couldn't believe that the judges said her accessible look was sexy. I found it frumpy. It looked like a vest over an ill fitting sheer t-shirt. Like what year is it? I I found the runway look sexier (but still basic and boring). Putting "believe in your dreams" in her marketing ad seemed odd. That's what I expect to see on the wall of a suburban soccer mom who has a Cricut, not a designer who insists on using only black.

I liked the ruffle detail on Sander's dress cute but I HATED the tops on both his models. On the male model, it looked like he was wearing a droopy kitchen apron or a lobster bib. I also hated the male model's green jacket. It looked like a grown man trying to wear a little girl's Christmas dress. When they switched and  the female model put on the green jacket, she looked like a girl who left the club and then it started to rain so some random guy on the street handed her his anorak. The shots he chose for his campaign looked like the kind of photoshoot you do when you're a teenager and you get one of your friends to coordinate a themed outfit with you and then you ask your mom to take pictures of you together at a park and then you tell your friends that those are your modeling pictures. Tim Gunn should get all the credit for that jacket switch on the runway, damn it!

Tim was right about Jonny's hospital sheet dress. Without the vest, the dress was way too basic. I liked the indigo fabric he chose for the male model, but I didn't like the big tan patches. I liked the umbrella photo he chose for his campaign.

Ji Won's accessible looked very dated and ill fitting. The asymmetric red tank top looked uncomfortably tight and the pants looked bad mostly because they didn't fit the model well. But she achieved her goal of wanting the girl to look like she just left a rave. Her black runway look was much better. I just hated the carwash strips at the bottom. I hated that look in the 90s and I hate it now. I liked the matte and shiny stripes of black.

Megan's floral (or was it toile?) pantsuit looked like formal pajamas. Her runway look was nothing earth shattering in terms of originality but it looked great on the runway. It was flattering, it fit the model well, and it had drama and movement when the model was walking.

I wasn't surprised that Ji Won was cut. She seemed to give up during judging. I hated that the tie breaker was to try to get Megan and Jonny to shit talk each other.

• Love 14

I thought having a runway show in the rain was strange. Poor models, I hope it was at least warm when they filmed this. 
I actually thought everyone’s designs were ok except Ji’s. I figured she would go home. There was nothing flattering about either one of her designs.

I still hate that the winning look is based on what they think will sell the best on Amazon. 

• Love 8

IMO, ji was the right one to go home.  I take far greater exception to a designer who wants to have a global brand, markets herself as "accessible" but doesn't want to design for anyone who isn't a size 2-6.  That is not the reality of the mass market around the world. 

Sander doesn't particularly sell himself as trying to be accessible and IIRC he did at least a decent job.....without complaint.....when he had to design for a larger model.  

Ji's outfit for the plus size model was an abomination and by far the worst thing I've seen on this show so far...and I include sabatos rumple dress and rinats weird knotted skirt midriff lawyer look in that.  

I also think people who have "never lost" are absolutely insufferable.  Not a fan, so, girl bye.  

I think Megan was robbed.  I thought her pieces would sell far more than Jonny's.  That print suit was beautiful, IMO.  Johnny did a good job, but really, it's just a take on the Beetlejuice dress. 

• Love 15

I'm sorry, I just cannot get over how annoying I find Heidi with her fake chipper attitude.  I want to drop kick her, but I'd probably throw out my back since I've gotten no exercise during the last 4 weeks.  Tim has also lost his charm, which saddens me because I've always had a soft spot for him.  The judges offer nothing of value, and Naomi looks ready to murder any judge who disagrees with her. I have given this show the ol' college try, but it's just plain boring. 

Now about this episode, I loved Megan's outfits, but she chose really bad photos.  The model's foot was front & center in the one pic. It didn't look editorial, but just clumsy.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

I find it amusing when designers like Ji talk fervently about their brand being about individuality and standing out ..but then their clothes are stuff I feel like I've seen in any given Target. I mean, do they not get out much? And her dress looked like that PR unconventional materials challenge seatbelt dress, only not as good. 

Stop trying to make Tim "fun"! The reason I fell in love with him in the first place was he was this stodgy nerdy prim guy who was unique. I don't need him to be generic TV host Tim. Heidi never bothered me too much on PR, but they are making me actively dislike her here. Good job show! 

You could see the stress and discomfort in both designers faces when they were made to fight each other for the win (that the judges already knew full well would go to Johnny). That is not entertaining in any way.  

• Love 21
36 minutes ago, dleighg said:

That was an "interesting" outfit Heidi wore, with eyes on her boobs and teeth on her butt?

I had the same thought!  It was very colorful and fun, but I'm just not sure about the placement of some of the graphics.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I thought having a runway show in the rain was strange. Poor models, I hope it was at least warm when they filmed this. 

I was confused about the runway show in the rain, as well.  I wondered why they didn't put a cover over the runway.  It was probably for the aesthetics of their location, but I'm sure they could have come up with something pretty.  I felt bad for the models and audience.  I don't know if the rain was warm- here in northern CA, we just get cold rains.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I find it amusing when designers like Ji talk fervently about their brand being about individuality and standing out ..but then their clothes are stuff I feel like I've seen in any given Target. I mean, do they not get out much? And her dress looked like that PR unconventional materials challenge seatbelt dress, only not as good. 

Stop trying to make Tim "fun"! The reason I fell in love with him in the first place was he was this stodgy nerdy prim guy who was unique. I don't need him to be generic TV host Tim. Heidi never bothered me too much on PR, but they are making me actively dislike her here. Good job show! 

You could see the stress and discomfort in both designers faces when they were made to fight each other for the win (that the judges already knew full well would go to Johnny). That is not entertaining in any way.  

Yeah, I listened to a minute if it then I FF because I like them both and I don't think they wanted to have to throw each other under the bus. 

This show did touch my cold black heart with Jonny's call to his family.  I love to see how accepting and supporting his parents were.  I believe he grew up in a very traditional household do it's great to see how supportive his parents are and you could see his husband loves his mom and his dad was very pleased that he learned how to steam clothes.  It was very sweet. 

Oh, and in conclusion.  What was the criteria for determining that Chiara was "the most powerful fashion influencer in the world" because I feel like the only person who said that is Chiara.  That was a very, very bold claim to make and a very bold upsell of Chiara.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Yeah, stop trying so hard to make Chiara happen.

I take far greater exception to a designer who wants to have a global brand, markets herself as "accessible" but doesn't want to design for anyone who isn't a size 2-6. 

Ji's comments about her model with the bigger body surprised me.

Was Heidi really put out when she lost that stupid game to Tim? Or was she playing?

I don't like muddy dark green or maroon, so I didn't care for Sander's looks.

I don't like big prints either - too reminiscent of my grandmother's sofas and drapes - but I loved the fit on Megan's pant suit. And I find her very beautiful.

The series is just kind of limping to a deflated finish.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

Yeah, stop trying so hard to make Chiara happen.

Her comments about her model with the bigger body surprised me.

Was Heidi really put out when she lost that stupid game to Tim? Or was she playing?

I don't like muddy dark green or maroon, so I didn't care for Sander's looks.

I don't like big prints either - too reminiscent of my grandmother's sofas and drapes - but I loved the fit on Megan's pant suit. And I find her very beautiful.

The series is just kind of limping to a deflated finish.

Agreed that this show is limping towards the finish line.  Very little website promotion from Amazon, they somehow lost judges with at least some bonafides and replaced them with "the most powerful influencer" or whatever. 

They are now released two episodes every Friday.....doesn't look good.  

• Love 2

Why do they put those huge, clunky white sneakers with slinky silk dresses?  It looks stupid, people!  It's not "quirky" or "street", it's ridiculous. 

Sander's mix-and-match outfits made me think of elves at Christmas.  Maybe the colors.  

Esther's black mosquito crap was a bore.  And I actually have a black & white floral silk bathrobe that looks almost identical to Megan's top.  I think the loose pants looked sloppy, and a cigarette pant would have been more flattering. 

I feel so critical of these untalented weirdos and their flaccid and uninspiring designs.  I pretty much hate them all by now. 

Edited by leighdear
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, leighdear said:

And I actually have a black & white floral silk bathrobe that looks almost identical to Megan's top.  I think the loose pants looked sloppy, and a cigarette pant would have been more flattering. 

I couldn't believe they liked it-- it was matchy-matchy (trademark Heidi) and looked like pajamas.

• Love 5

And another thing that annoys me......*LOL*

"Digital Marketing Campaign".  Seriously?

It was a freakin' photo shoot.  Why do they have to try to upsell, upscale, and "techie-up" the most basic stuff with ridiculous terminology & buzz words that don't impress anybody and just sounds idiotic?  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

It was a freakin' photo shoot.  Why do they have to try to upsell, upscale, and "techie-up" the most basic stuff with ridiculous terminology & buzz words that don't impress anybody and just sounds idiotic?  

That kind of sums up my feelings about the show in general.  These gorgeous locations and pointless side excursions for Tim and Heidi do nothing to make the designers noteworthy or the show worth watching. I so wanted to love this series, but it has not lived up to any of its hype. I’m sad. 

• Love 12

I decided to spoil myself as soon as Ji started the plus size shade. That model was nowhere near plus size you hag. Christian Siriano is the biggest name to come out of PR, the better sibling of this knockoff show, and he’s embraced plus size and done spectacular with it. Go back to car wash stripes on your oversized crap and get off the show.

Johnny picked a crap print and then sabotaged his dress. If you’re going to buy grandma’s couch cushion fabric, stop complaining. No one held a gun(n) to his head and made him pick it. There are cool florals out there.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Putting "believe in your dreams" in her marketing ad seemed odd.

Oh Esther. Rejected-Yoplait-ad-copy has no place in your world. Just go full Dieter. Or Wim Wenders. Absurd or sublime, whatever! But take up more space. Be colorful without using color. Imagine your ad with a  different tagline: Would you like to touch my monkey? or There are mosquitoes on the streets of Tokyo. Now is the time on Making the Cut when you dance.

11 hours ago, RealReality said:

IMO, ji was the right one to go home.  I take far greater exception to a designer who wants to have a global brand, markets herself as "accessible" but doesn't want to design for anyone who isn't a size 2-6.

I was honestly shocked when Ji complained about having a plus-size model, right off the bat. While I'm under no illusions that the industry is miraculously transformed - despite recent progress in the right direction - Ji claims to be designing for "others" and (most perplexingly to me) tends to design boxy, roomy shapes that, tailored well, could be fantastic for a wide range of bodies. If she were a designer whose sole focus was conventional Hollywood red-carpet looks for young actresses - well, I wouldn't like what she said but I'd see how she might be insecure in new territory.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Megan's pantsuit didn't work for me...together. I would have worn the wrap by itself, worn the pants by themselves, maybe repurpose the obi (belt), but together, it looked kinda costume-y. The runway look was stunning. 

I didn't like Jonny's runway look at all. It looked very junior, like something you'd find in Urban Outfitters. I didn't understand why the judges loved it so much. If he called that outfit is accessible look, I wouldn't have questioned it. The jumpsuit was much more runway. 

It was Jiwon's time to go. The accessible look was missing...something. A jacket? It just looked unfinished. And the runway dress was nothing special, sorry. 

Please nix the Tim/Heidi segments for next season, thanks. 

• Love 5

Heidi's dress at the runway show and judging was, well, all I could say about it (and did), was "Bill Holm would vomit to see that abomination of and insult to Northwest Coast First Nations art." Holm was a renowned art historian who wrote field-defining books on NWC art. Bad, bad placement of ovoids (the eye shapes) and u-forms in that fabric, though I assume the person who cut the dress had a sense of humor and knew exactly what they were doing -- the placement itself was just too on-the-boob, I mean, nose.

Bye, Ji, it was your time, or past. The outfit for her plus-sized model was just so unflattering, added volume where the model did not need it and then accentuated her actual figure  most unflatteringly.

Also bored with Esther this episode, she utterly refuses to veer from black, though she at least repeated the use of plastic/ vinyl/ PVC from last episode's outfit in a slightly interesting way with the mosquito wing attachments.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

What was the criteria for determining that Chiara was "the most powerful fashion influencer in the world" because I feel like the only person who said that is Chiara.  That was a very, very bold claim to make and a very bold upsell of Chiara.  

Making the Cut is trying desperately to make Chiara cosi fetch and I am here to Regina George all over that mess.

rs_500x278-150521121126-giphy_3.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, dbell1 said:

I decided to spoil myself as soon as Ji started the plus size shade. That model was nowhere near plus size you hag. Christian Siriano is the biggest name to come out of PR, the better sibling of this knockoff show, and he’s embraced plus size and done spectacular with it. Go back to car wash stripes on your oversized crap and get off the show.

Johnny picked a crap print and then sabotaged his dress. If you’re going to buy grandma’s couch cushion fabric, stop complaining. No one held a gun(n) to his head and made him pick it. There are cool florals out there.

Unless you yourself have the body of Heidi Klum or Naomi Campbell you shouldn't be throwing shade at your models. 

Megan is dilusional. Her outfits were ridiculous and repetitive. The dress had some impact but wasn't innovative while the jumpsuit was laughable.

This whole “English words Heidi does not know” routine was old by the 2nd episode.

7 hours ago, RealReality said:

They are now released two episodes every Friday.....doesn't look good.  

They've released 2 episodes together since the beginning.

• Love 8

What a crap fest. Unless Amazon makes a bundle on the winning outfits, a second season is toast. Or should be, starting with Heidi getting the hell off my TV. Be gone and take your phony enthusiasm, pouty bs and tacky outfits with you. The totem on your ass? Ass, alright.

The judging sessions are so painful to watch that not even Naomi and her tough love can save them. And how pathetic that the descriptions of Chiara keep changing—it’s like throwing shit on the wall and hoping something will stick.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, leighdear said:

No shit! A digital marketing campaign involves posting your brand on social media, not doing a self-contained photo shoot. 

8 hours ago, dleighg said:

I couldn't believe they liked it-- it was matchy-matchy (trademark Heidi) and looked like pajamas.

I think that Michael Kors first used "matchy-matchy" as a pejorative on PR, in season one or two. Boy, could they use him as a judge on this show.

Color me crazy, but I thought that Sander was the clear winner of this episode. When they started the "you have to shit-talk each other" portion of the judging between Megan and Jonny, I thought it was to determine who wouldn't be eliminated, not who was the winner. 

So disappointing, because up to that point, I thought this was one of the better episodes of this shitshow (absent the idiotic Tim & Heidi virtual reality battle - and was she really such an asshole about losing to Tim?).

Bonus: Vintage Michael Kors PR commentary: 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

No shit! A digital marketing campaign involves posting your brand on social media, not doing a self-contained photo shoot. 

well they seem to love the word "digital" as in, those "digital backdrops" which definitely weren't as they were projected from the front!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, RealReality said:

What was the criteria for determining that Chiara was "the most powerful fashion influencer in the world" because I feel like the only person who said that is Chiara.  That was a very, very bold claim to make and a very bold upsell of Chiara.  

To quote Seinfeld, I don't know how official any of these rankings are. She has 19.5 million followers on Instagram (in comparison, Kylie Jenner has 170 million followers) so I don't know that she's the most powerful anything in the world.

18 hours ago, RealReality said:

ji was the right one to go home.  I take far greater exception to a designer who wants to have a global brand, markets herself as "accessible" but doesn't want to design for anyone who isn't a size 2-6.  That is not the reality of the mass market around the world.

Ji's outfit for the plus size model was an abomination and by far the worst thing I've seen on this show so far.

What makes it even weirder to me is that she designed so many loose/shapeless pieces earlier in the season so if she had done another one of those then it wouldn't have been such an issue fitting the model. I mean, she should have been able to fit the model properly regardless of her size but if she had been assigned this exact same model in the earlier weeks, would she still have had issues fitting her in those shapeless sacks?

17 hours ago, Snewtsie said:

I just cannot get over how annoying I find Heidi with her fake chipper attitude. 

Sadly, you can tell that Heidi thinks she's so cute when she yells and says "cutesy" things. I'm sure that she thought those stupid segments would make her more fun and relatable but in reality they make her look obnoxious, shrill, ad annoying. And a sore loser!

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

To quote Seinfeld, I don't know how official any of these rankings are. She has 19.5 million followers on Instagram (in comparison, Kylie Jenner has 170 million followers) so I don't know that she's the most powerful anything in the world.

I've never heard of her, but I was curious, so I googled her, and at least according to Wikipedia (so it must be true 🙂 ) "In September 2017, Ferragni was ranked first on the Forbes "Top Fashion Influencers" list."

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I've never heard of her, but I was curious, so I googled her, and at least according to Wikipedia (so it must be true 🙂 ) "In September 2017, Ferragni was ranked first on the Forbes "Top Fashion Influencers" list."

Well, that put me in my place.  LOL.  But not really, I think a lot of these influencers buy inflencees.

6 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I think that Michael Kors first used "matchy-matchy" as a pejorative on PR, in season one or two. Boy, could they use him as a judge on this show.

Color me crazy, but I thought that Sander was the clear winner of this episode. When they started the "you have to shit-talk each other" portion of the judging between Megan and Jonny, I thought it was to determine who wouldn't be eliminated, not who was the winner. 

So disappointing, because up to that point, I thought this was one of the better episodes of this shitshow (absent the idiotic Tim & Heidi virtual reality battle - and was she really such an asshole about losing to Tim?).

Bonus: Vintage Michael Kors PR commentary: 

That mega cut always makes me miss MK.  I wonder why he won't come back to fashion reality TV.  He is good at it and it seems like fairly easy money.  I know he could be billed as an EP on a show.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I felt like I was in upside-down world.  Not only did I believe this, but I thought Jonny's runway look was his accessible look.  I like the idea of some aspects of the show, the execution failed tho,  I'll stick through the end although not sure I care who wins.  I was a big fan of Esther's from the beginning, but the last two shows from her were disappointing.  The biggest surprise for me is that Naomi is my favorite judge. 

Edited by harperchicago
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Ashforth said:

idiotic Tim & Heidi virtual reality battle - and was she really such an asshole about losing to Tim?).

At first I thought Heidi was playing around at being a sore loser. When there was no ha-ha and the segment ended...awkwardly, I was like, "Holy crap, Heidi Klum actually does have the emotional regulation of an over-tired toddler." Did you notice there was no follow-up segment where they laughed about her being too competitive or whatever?

It's made me look at poor Tim Gunn having to fawn all over Miss Klum, etc. in a whole new light. OMG, that sake scene. My eyes have been opened. What we have is an obnoxious assistant manager pressuring the shy french-fry guy to keep doing shots after the shift. OR ELSE.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

At first I thought Heidi was playing around at being a sore loser. When there was no ha-ha and the segment ended...awkwardly, I was like, "Holy crap, Heidi Klum actually does have the emotional regulation of an over-tired toddler." Did you notice there was no follow-up segment where they laughed about her being too competitive or whatever?

It's made me look at poor Tim Gunn having to fawn all over Miss Klum, etc. in a whole new light. OMG, that sake scene. My eyes have been opened. What we have is an obnoxious assistant manager pressuring the shy french-fry guy to keep doing shots after the shift. OR ELSE.

I'd like to think Heidi was joking.  But it was awful suspicious that she won a fencing competition against someone who had been practicing for four years and she had never even picked up a sword before.  

I was glad they let Tim have a win.

• Love 2

This is the first episode I actually enjoyed. I found myself paying attention. Maybe because we're down to the final few and I'm getting more invested in who wins?

The one thing I did not like, I'll even say I hated, was when they made the 2 in the top tell them why they deserved to win. It just really reminded me of project runway, tell me why you deserve to be here or in team challenges, tell me who should go home. I guess Heidi loves it because those type of questions stopped once she left PR and now it's on this show instead. 

Sander's clothes are not my style at all and in general i don't think they're very wearable, but if you're looking at fashion as an art I think he's fantastic. I think the other 3 designers are more ready to wear. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, GaT said:

This whole “English words Heidi does not know” routine was old by the 2nd episode.

OMG, I came to comment on this too.  I mean, I am admittedly a nerd but “linchpin” is not that out of left field.  The American designers also looked like they didn’t know it.  

I did enjoy Megan’s confusion over Esther asking her to borrow a “rubber” though.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I enjoyed this episode too.  Probably my second favorite behind the first Tokyo one.  Considering we've been told over and over that this a BRAND compitition it was nice to see a photo shoot incorporated into the challenge other than designing.  Marketing is key.  Kind of reminds me of Americas Next Top Model when they do the go sees.

Not at all surprised that Ji Won went home.  She peaked early like Esther and never regained her early glory.

Jonny seems destined for the finals.  Hell Joseph says every damn fashion show how much HE'S GROWN that I feel like he wants to give him the win now.  I can't deny that he's probably done the most evolving of the final four.  Esther night have dug herself into a hole going back to the black especially with what the next challenge is bringing.

• Love 1

I think Heidi showed her true self after she lost the video game to Tim.  Especially as when she was leaving and her back turned to the camera she stated something along the lines of how stupid it was and she wished she didn't do it.  I resented her joy in an earlier episode when she made Tim look ridiculous by making him look "street."  She has been too extra in my opinion for the entire series but her anger here just exploded across the screen.

I'm also over how much screen time Esther has as I think she's overrated by the judges.  I agree with others that if one can only "design" in one color, well, how much of a designer is that person?

I actually think that overall Tim has been giving good advice to the designers and it seems like if they follow his lead they tend to do well.

I'll finish this season, but doubt I would be back for a second season.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/18/2020 at 1:18 AM, leighdear said:

Well, as a guy involved in digital marketing I can tell you that it isn't idiotic. But the topic title really is weird. Naming photo session a "digital marketing" is profanation. Because digital marketing is about making a lot of content, making SEO, making external links on different forums and other stuff like that. Not so long ago I had bought some backlinks for my site from these https://crowdo.net guys and it made my site's page rank grow. I don't think that the photo set can make something similar, lol. It could have made my site looking cute, but that's all.

Edited by StroggCore
  • Love 2

The challenge sounds like a rollercoaster of creativity and strategy. I can only imagine the excitement of putting together a whole collection and then diving into a digital marketing campaign. And the photo shoot twist as creative directors? Talk about a full-on experience! It's like a fusion of style and tech. By the way, have you ever thought about how to buy instagram likes and how it might play into the digital marketing aspect of such a campaign? Could be an interesting element to consider. Rain or shine, these designers are definitely taking on a memorable adventure!

Edited by discussionpoint