Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E16: I'm Going to Miss This

Mitchell is having a hard time letting go of his old life and Gloria steps in to help him say goodbye; Haley, Luke and Alex decide to throw a party at the Dunphy house when Claire and Phil leave for a trip; Dylan's mom takes the twins for the night.

• Love 1

Even as the show ends, the writers are still doing everything they can to push the idea that Mitch and Cam only care about their children as accessories, and nothing more.

Cam wanting to put a baby in a balloon, or trap it under a serving dish, are among the most disturbing examples of that mindset that they've ever given us. Which is saying a lot.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Even as the show ends, the writers are still doing everything they can to push the idea that Mitch and Cam only care about their children as accessories, and nothing more.

Cam wanting to put a baby in a balloon, or trap it under a serving dish, are among the most disturbing examples of that mindset that they've ever given us. Which is saying a lot.

Of the many things I could criticize on this show, this aspect is actually disturbing.   I have been disgusted by the way they lost interest in Lily - don't know anything about her and don't care.  Now we are supposed to find it funny that they forget that she is with them.  In real life a child that disregarded would either harden up and somehow manage, though damaged, or would get into the various kinds of trouble teenagers do.

These are the last people who should get another baby to raise.  And of course, Cam is treating the baby like a prop for his latest production of the Cam Show.

Their idea that this should be funny is warped.

• Love 21
54 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Of the many things I could criticize on this show, this aspect is actually disturbing.   I have been disgusted by the way they lost interest in Lily - don't know anything about her and don't care.  Now we are supposed to find it funny that they forget that she is with them.  In real life a child that disregarded would either harden up and somehow manage, though damaged, or would get into the various kinds of trouble teenagers do.

These are the last people who should get another baby to raise.  And of course, Cam is treating the baby like a prop for his latest production of the Cam Show.

Their idea that this should be funny is warped.

Yes, Cam and Mitch have been shown why they SHOULDN'T be parents. The constant bad jokes on how Lily is forgotten even when she is right there isn't funny. Her talking about the car seat was even worst. I agree Lily will be handling this kid after they turn 4, because that is when Lily was basically forgotten about.

As for Hailey, Alex and Luke. OMG! Seriously, this was just horrible. I mean, Alex could have called the police on this guy. He was basically almost crossing the line to human trafficing. Plus, Luke, really? I mean come on! Then with Hailey, I like they talk how she is nursing the twins still, but then getting trashed and Dylan just going on like he won a free nursing license. 

For the episode before this is all over, all they did was show that Hailey, Luke and Alex will never function as adults in any fashion. They need their parents to get them out of everything, no matter if they do have good jobs and fell up in life. They have tried to show that Manny is now an "adult" when he will be lucky if no one robs him, beats him up and leaves him in an alley. I did like how Mitch called Gloria out on all the crap she has done in life and yet is only 43.  Other wise, let the show just end next week, this last season has been just an example of how horrible ALL the characters became and that the writers are so out of ideas. 

• Love 12

Somehow I keep tuning in, just because I know it will end...

I have to agree on Mitch and Cam talk from above. It was nice that the writers had Lilly recognize the dynamic that the writers think is funny and got really old for us long ago, but then they just went right back into it.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

Somehow I keep tuning in, just because I know it will end...

I have to agree on Mitch and Cam talk from above. It was nice that the writers had Lilly recognize the dynamic that the writers think is funny and got really old for us long ago, but then they just went right back into it.

Right and it's a writers' trap that many TV shows, Movies and Comic Books fall into. It's kind of: "See, the characters do know they do it and call it out, but they still do it. Isn't that funny?" Especially when you wonder where that thought process even comes from. Sure, you get some shows and movies and even comics where you go: "oh yeah, that's how they were raised or they just went the opposite with how they were raised." That is true to life, but you get it where it's so self destructing that when called out and to the point it gets them in so much trouble. Instead of: "Well, I should change or can someone help me here." They instead either go back to it or do it even worst. 

Reminds me of the woman with the shell fish allergy in the first Eddie Murphy Dr. Dolittle movie. She ends up three times in the clinic and he even tells her: "Do you want to die?" It's suppose to serve the plot of why his character has grown so burned out by helping people who don't want to help themselves. Yet, they then write it like the woman has some addiction to the point she hides in a bathroom and then gets spooked by the guinea pig in the movie and then magically sees it as a reason to stop by the end of the movie.

Yet, it's just that, a punch line like to excuse the characters' behavior and yet even though it's old, people point it out it's still a: "Screw you, I get paid to write this crap so I'm just going to keep doing it until they fire me." 

• Love 1

Lily's last scene with Cam and Mitch needs to be the textbook example of lampshading Flanderization.  That's 2 tv tropes in one--and I'm kind of impressed at its laziness.  I'm sure there are other examples of it out there, but I can't think of one that made the point of what not to do so succinctly. 

And call me crazy--y'all won't be the first--but I felt Mitch's dance to "Time of My Life" was supposed to be a kind of sideways reference David dancing to "Simply The Best" on Schitt's Creek.  But it didn't work, as it was not the perfect balance of cring-worthy & poignant to reach that goal.

The one bright spot of this show, and of a performer who hasn't stooped to phoning it in, at least to my eyes, is Ty Burrell.  His commitment to being a python-hunting Easter Bunny was still strong.  (I'll also always stan Ed O'Neill, but that's based on more than MF.)

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

Lily's last scene with Cam and Mitch needs to be the textbook example of lampshading Flanderization.  That's 2 tv tropes in one--and I'm kind of impressed at its laziness.  I'm sure there are other examples of it out there, but I can't think of one that made the point of what not to do so succinctly. 

The entire Dumphy Clan was prime for Fladerization last night too. I mean I think there was a bet if they could write/film/credit how much Fladerization there could be in the next to last episode of the series. Manny was on prime example too with how Jay called out his crap and then magically, Manny was acting all high and mighty with things. Even to Jay for the third time in 3 years saying how he accepts Manny now. Even his line of: "I love that kid." The only one who wasn't Fladerized was Joe.

3 hours ago, Suzn said:

And of course, Cam is treating the baby like a prop for his latest production of the Cam Show.

I did want someone to tell Cam that maybe he might be more prepared for the baby's unexpected arrival if he hadn't dedicated all his time to trying to figure out the best way to dramatically present the baby to the rest of the family. 

• Love 5

I am just going to ignore how stupid and crappy most of this episode was (Mitch and Cam really shouldn't be allowed to adopt another kid to ignore) and focus on Phil hoping around in a bunny suit...because he wanted to wear the costume I MEAN needed an excuse to be around...at his house. That was just about worth watching the whole episode. 

As for the rest, I am pretty much just watching to see how the show ends.

• Love 8

Here's what's interesting-they could go for funny or go for poignant and they somehow managed to try for both and hit neither (other than Phil in the bunny suit)..

• Love 3

For me, this show has gone from love, to love-hate, to full on hate watch, but I am seeing it through. 

Pretty much everyone is unlikeable except for Phil and Jay. The plots are just stupid too. Right, the kids have some kind of social media invite party at the house that will apparently happen and get cleaned up in the same day. 

I can't believe the Lily stuff is supposed to be amusing, it just makes me cringe and feel sad for her. 

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

For me, this show has gone from love, to love-hate, to full on hate watch, but I am seeing it through. 

Pretty much everyone is unlikeable except for Phil and Jay. The plots are just stupid too. Right, the kids have some kind of social media invite party at the house that will apparently happen and get cleaned up in the same day. 

Plus, you can understand why the kids wanted to prove they "weren't old" yet, but then it just got extremely stupid. From Hailey's guilt of trying to cover things up like she is still 15 to Luke's entire python egg stupidity. All it proved that in 11 years, the kids are as helpless and Claire and Phil seriously didn't raise them to be independent in any shape or form. Constant helicoptering from Claire and Phil trying to be the "fun" dad showed that their kids will NEVER be on their own. I mean if Hailey's "fake business" is so successful and Dylan is rocking the nurse scene with "no student debt" then they SHOULD be able to at least live an apartment on their own. Alex was free until the family ruined her sweet apartment and she was guilt ed in taking a major pay cut. Luke is just a mess.

• Love 5

After the continual bad parenting and selfishness, my only wish for Cam and Mitch is that when they get older is neither Lily nor New Baby remembers who their parents are, and Mitch and Cam end up in a nursing home with no visitors.  Maybe Lily meets a fantastic person at college (that is at least 3 states away), and he or she has an amazing family that invites her to their home for holidays and vacations.  She finds a job working on the opposite side of the country from her dads.  Lily will be an amazing well adjusted and independent woman in spite of (because of) her neglectful parenting.  I hope New Baby gets taken in by one of his grown cousins.  

And for anyone watching thinking adopting a baby is as simple as this fantasy depicts it, please don’t use this show as your guide.  Adopting is a wee bit more involved than swinging by a maternity ward like you’re going through a Taco Bell Drive-thru. 

WTF was that storyline with the neighbor??? 

I will watch til the end because I still have some fond memories of what this show was years ago.  Phil was and is still my favorite character.  The rest of them maybe had some lovable characteristics once, but they were all either turned into egomaniacal self absorbed assholes or idiots so stupid one wonders how they made it to adulthood. 

• Love 3

Am I insane or did this show already have an episode where some kind of animal was lost at a party?  Like a lizard or a tarantula or something?  Not sure if I'm thinking of a completely different show or if this one is recycling plotlines from five season ago.

• Love 3

Am I insane or did this show already have an episode where some kind of animal was lost at a party?  Like a lizard or a tarantula or something?  Not sure if I'm thinking of a completely different show or if this one is recycling plotlines from five season ago.

Yup-Fizbo!

Jungle Tanya's spider gets away during her show at Luke's birthday party. One of the truly greatest episodes of this show and truly among my favorite sitcom episodes ever....but that was during Season 1, when the writers weren't mailing it in. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Yup-Fizbo!

Jungle Tanya's spider gets away during her show at Luke's birthday party. One of the truly greatest episodes of this show and truly among my favorite sitcom episodes ever....but that was during Season 1, when the writers weren't mailing it in. 

Plus, at that time the spider made the most sense and the situation when Luke was that age. Now, with this "social media" party and how everything went down. It was not only so stupid for words, but no one in their right mind (proving no one was) would put themselves in these situation. Especially given the current pandemic, something like this will not stand the test of time. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Yep, as others pointed out Jungle Tanya's spider gets lost in the house in an early episode.

But that's not the only rehash we saw in this episode. Alex being weirdly exploited has also happened in the past. Didn’t she have to kiss or go on a date with Luke’s friend cause he lost a game? Only this time seemed much creepier because the dude was older and he wanted her to dress up for him. 

And Phil and Claire freaking out about getting old is a retread too, like when they were given the “old people’s brochure” in the Lake House episode and went all out trying to prove how young and adventurous they are.

I get the show has been on for a while, but we don't need to see straight up repeats of storylines. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Maybe Lily meets a fantastic person at college (that is at least 3 states away), and he or she has an amazing family that invites her to their home for holidays and vacations.

And when she says, "My little brother needs me" they say, "Bring him along!"

Would the bassinet really have been labeled Tucker and Pritchett? No matter how cooperative the biological parents are, it takes a while to finalize an adoption.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Did we hear them say what the baby’s name is?

No.

7 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Would the bassinet really have been labeled Tucker and Pritchett? No matter how cooperative the biological parents are, it takes a while to finalize an adoption.

That seems very unlikely to me. The whole thing seems very unlikely - registering with an adoption agency, and then being handed a healthy newborn a few years later, with barely any notice, without even meeting the birth mother.

18 hours ago, readster said:

Yes, Cam and Mitch have been shown why they SHOULDN'T be parents. The constant bad jokes on how Lily is forgotten even when she is right there isn't funny. Her talking about the car seat was even worst. I agree Lily will be handling this kid after they turn 4, because that is when Lily was basically forgotten about.

They're depicting two gay dads treating their children like shiny toys they quickly lose interest in. It's one of the most damaging stereotypes about same-sex parents, and the writers of this ostensibly LGBT-friendly show have been reinforcing it for years.

I can't imagine the writing staff did this out of prejudice. The only explanation I can think of is that the writers want nothing to do with the Lily character.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

They're depicting two gay dads treating their children like shiny toys they quickly lose interest in. It's one of the most damaging stereotypes about same-sex parents, and the writers of this ostensibly LGBT-friendly show have been reinforcing it for years.

I can't imagine the writing staff did this out of prejudice. The only explanation I can think of is that the writers want nothing to do with the Lily character.

I have hated Mitchell and Cam's treatment of Lily since they lost interest in her and I didn't even think of the vile stereotype.  If the writers had an ounce of creativity they could have thought of a better use of Lily and if they didn't want to write for her she could have been relegated to the background and no one would complain.  As inexplicable as it is, the writers seem to think Mitchell and Cam's neglect of Lily is hilarious.  It's not the only thing they are tone deaf about.

• Love 5

I hope Larry the Cat sleeps on Lily's bed so they both get some love.

Could the snake really have held all those chicken-sized eggs? And wouldn't boiling the egg have killed the snakeling? (Though someone would have gotten a surprise when it came time to eat the eggs.)

• Love 3

Rehashing in my head still...

I get why Claire did the fake assault and got backup from the Nana Squad at the end as that's the way they wanted to take the plot, but it would have been much more in character for her to put her foot through that neighbor and his creepy behavior and show she's still a young grandmother by (creatively to avoid a felony) whupping the guy creeping on her kid.

Who also should have been able to deal with it by other means than giving into blackmail, but such is the way the show is written.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AncientNewbie said:

Rehashing in my head still...

I get why Claire did the fake assault and got backup from the Nana Squad at the end as that's the way they wanted to take the plot, but it would have been much more in character for her to put her foot through that neighbor and his creepy behavior and show she's still a young grandmother by (creatively to avoid a felony) whupping the guy creeping on her kid.

Who also should have been able to deal with it by other means than giving into blackmail, but such is the way the show is written.

That was the entire problem, the guy was all kinds of wrong and Alex could have taken care of it no problem on her own. Or "should have" taken care of it on her own. It turned into: "Oh no, we threw a party and our parents can't know and we got ourselves in this mess." All 3 of them decided on the party together and all did things a 12 year old knows better not to do. Even how Luke handled the egg situation, all he had to do was grab, run to the pet shop and be done. Instead he was all: "oh duh... let me throw it here." 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Could the snake really have held all those chicken-sized eggs? And wouldn't boiling the egg have killed the snakeling? (Though someone would have gotten a surprise when it came time to eat the eggs.)

The eggs in the fireplace were enormous! They would never have been confused with the chicken eggs.

I have no clue why the prop people would have chosen such huge eggs to begin with.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

The eggs in the fireplace were enormous! They would never have been confused with the chicken eggs.

I have no clue why the prop people would have chosen such huge eggs to begin with.

Plus, only Luke knowing what they were when you saw them. Even Alex would have been: "What eggs are these?" It also made Phil at times a little out there, I mean he drank the dye and then couldn't tell that the snake eggs were LARGER than the others? I mean come on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tribeca said:

Alex’s story was awful.  

Not only that, but to even have them believe it could be "funny" was far from it. It came off as: creepy, wrong and basically trying to put it that Alex will be more than happy to be used like as someone's personal little sex slave than dare to admit to her parents they did something that was so 15 year old. 

• Love 2
On 4/2/2020 at 12:39 PM, Lizzing said:

And call me crazy--y'all won't be the first--but I felt Mitch's dance to "Time of My Life" was supposed to be a kind of sideways reference David dancing to "Simply The Best" on Schitt's Creek.  But it didn't work, as it was not the perfect balance of cring-worthy & poignant to reach that goal.

I saw it as a callback to the days when he and Claire were supposedly a figure skating duo - those moves definitely seemed like they could have been adapted to the ice.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, readster said:

"Oh no, we threw a party and our parents can't know and we got ourselves in this mess." All 3 of them decided on the party together and all did things a 12 year old knows better not to do.

This seemed like a really bizarre storyline for three people well into their 20s. FFS, if you want to throw a party so bad, move into your own place and have all the parties you want. You aren't in high school. 

And Phil and Claire being so happy to be "needed" by their three adult children at the end? That was absolutely terrifying. Nobody should be running to Mommy and Daddy at their ages with such petty little problems. It would be bad enough if one kid ended up that way, but THREE? It was a clear sign that Phil and Claire failed as parents.

• Love 4

Why exactly were Mitch and Cam totally unprepared for a baby they knew was due in two weeks? Are we supposed to believe that two adult men, who have already adopted a child and have been around numerous family members having babies, would not know that a due date is an ESTIMATE and the baby can arrive earlier or later? Plus, even if the baby did arrive in two weeks on the dot, did Mitch and Cam plan to just run to Target the night before? This entire family likes to drop money and buy nice things; you know they'd be hitting up all kinds of baby boutiques and websites as soon as they made the official decision to take this baby. This whole thing made absolutely zero sense.

Also, I get that all the grandparents were at the Easter party simply to provide a backdrop for Phil and Claire panicking about getting older. But really, why were those people there? The party was for kids in Dylan and Haley's parent group - who by the way were all about three, and actually able to understand/enjoy hunting eggs, unlike the twins who are not even two yet - which would mean the kids would come with their parents. Maybe ONE grandparent might tag along, someone who really wanted to be there to experience the moment. But most of those people would simply have stayed home and waited for their kids to post FB pics of the event.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

This seemed like a really bizarre storyline for three people well into their 20s. FFS, if you want to throw a party so bad, move into your own place and have all the parties you want. You aren't in high school. 

And Phil and Claire being so happy to be "needed" by their three adult children at the end? That was absolutely terrifying. Nobody should be running to Mommy and Daddy at their ages with such petty little problems. It would be bad enough if one kid ended up that way, but THREE? It was a clear sign that Phil and Claire failed as parents.

Oh yes, even goes back to when they kids were left alone for the first time and Claire was in a panic with Phil on the phone. Phil was: "Oh come on, they are older, they will be fine." Then the entire house went crazy. Then you get this episode and pretty much showed that Claire's helicopter parenting combine with Phil's: "I'll be the fun dad." Ruined their kids. Haley, fell up to success in life and now is: "Holy crap, I'm married with twins to a nurse who can save a life, but doesn't understand that a reed is a type of plant and not "reading'." Alex is meant to be shown as a constant loser and God forbid if she just tells someone: "Get over it, I'm happy with my life." Luke... where do you want to go?

• Love 2
On 4/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, LadyintheLoop said:

I hope Larry the Cat sleeps on Lily's bed so they both get some love.

The egg wasn't boiled, Luke dropped it when he was taking the rest of the eggs to the pet shop and then Phil picked it up off the floor and put it in the egg basket. 

Somehow I totally missed this episode last week and didn't even realize it until I came here to bitch about the "kids" on Jimmy Kimmel, which I'll take to another thread. Now that I watched On Demand, all I can say in this show really won't be missed. The best part of this episode was Joe continuously wiping the counter like a bar keep while he was serving the wine. Oh, and that Larry the cat is still alive! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

The egg wasn't boiled, Luke dropped it when he was taking the rest of the eggs to the pet shop and then Phil picked it up off the floor and put it in the egg basket. 

Somehow I totally missed this episode last week and didn't even realize it until I came here to bitch about the "kids" on Jimmy Kimmel, which I'll take to another thread. Now that I watched On Demand, all I can say in this show really won't be missed. The best part of this episode was Joe continuously wiping the counter like a bar keep while he was serving the wine. Oh, and that Larry the cat is still alive! 

That even made it more stupid, you can tell the difference between a hard boiled egg and a non boiled egg. That was some tough snake egg to survive the fall and be that close to hatching. Even more than even the other grandparents didn't go: "wait, this isn't right." Because you know, they are "old". 

1 hour ago, readster said:

That even made it more stupid, you can tell the difference between a hard boiled egg and a non boiled egg. That was some tough snake egg to survive the fall and be that close to hatching. Even more than even the other grandparents didn't go: "wait, this isn't right." Because you know, they are "old". 

Right!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Maybe we're confused because we expect a comedy show to be funny.

Right, just like when you watch a drama, you expect it to be emotional, not make you feel like it's trying to be fantasy or a science fiction show is made to where your kids in the backyard can make things look more realistic with their iPhone. There are points where you just go: "please, this bad and I'm now changing the channel or streaming something else."