Type keyword(s) to search

Tournament Of Champions - General Discussion

Message added by JTMacc99,

Spoiler Policy: Any information about an episode posted before it happens on the East Coast Food Network broadcast should be put under spoiler tags. 

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

That's what I think was the difference between Madison and Christian.  Christian made a plate that could be judged.  It was a composed dish without a radomizer item, but it was a composed dish.

Yes and................ I may be remembering this wrongly but it seems to me that Christian's plates were on the ledge where they're required to be when time is called and Madison's incomplete plates were still on the counter below the ledge.  I already deleted the episode so I can't go back and see if my memory is correct.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, mlp said:

Disappointing night (for me).  I can't stand Tiffani and I just love Amanda so I wasn't happy with the result.  I was surprised to hear that the two of them are good friends.  

Jet's round had me holding my breath waiting for the decision.  Whew!  I'd love to see Jet win the whole thing.  

I love Tiffani and Amanda, so this was painful. They are friends because Tiff is honestly very well-regarded in the chef community. I do admit that the verdict shocked me -- I absolutely thought from judging, like Tiffani, that Amanda had won. I would have been happy with either. I was touched that Tiffani was visibly tearful, however.

Either way, I am always so happy when we get to see Amanda cook. She brings this relaxed ease to it that for me is stylistically similar to Marc Murphy; she's not showy about it, she just quietly goes in and cooks beautifully. And she just seems like such a nice, delightful person.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:21 PM, Bastet said:

I loved Tiffani's reaction to hearing Maneet say she's scared of going up against her, and her reaction to Nancy Silverton asking, upon tasting Tiffani's dish, what's the name of this restaurant as she wants to make a reservation for tomorrow night -- I also loved Amanda's well, dammit, that's about the best you can hear reaction to it.

Once again, I was torn in the Amanda vs. Tiffani round as I like both of them, and I wanted to try each dish equally.

I really like Shirley, so I was rooting for her, and I wanted to eat her dish maybe the slightest bit more, but, honestly, I wanted to lick both plates.  Those dishes looked so good, I am not at all surprised they got the two highest scores of the season so far.

I was rooting for Elizabeth because I've had her food and I was a little more interested in her dish tonight, but Jet is hard to beat.  She came within one, though.

I really like Tiffani as a person from what I've seen over the past 5-10 years. She was  humorless, and over-intense on TC season 1, but that isn't at all the person she seems to be now, and I think she just didn't handle the competition (or TV aspect) well at the time. I also think she genuinely learned from watching herself and became a better person.

2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

That's what I think was the difference between Madison and Christian.  Christian made a plate that could be judged.  It was a composed dish without a radomizer item, but it was a composed dish.

I think this went beyond just missing a radomizer item.  That's not what got Madison DQ'ed.  He didn't produce a complete plate.  There was one thing on it.  To have put that plate up against Amanda's would have been embarrassing.  She clearly would have won.

I don't think missing a radomizer item is a DQ.  Chefs should be docked for it, but I understand why Christian went to judging and Madison didn't.  Madison didn't produce enough to be judged.

This. It was instantly obvious with Madison's one single item (and three other missing elements) -- versus Amanda's composed and completed plate -- that there was no way Madison could win. I thought Guy handled it appropriately and kindly.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, paramitch said:

I thought Guy handled it appropriately and kindly.

Definitely with kindness toward Madison.  Based on all of the reactions that we've gotten this season, the cheftestants clearly are impressed with the judging panels.  Their reactions show that the judges command a certain amount of respect in the industry. 

Think of experts in whatever field is important to you,  If you had a really bad day and were not at the top of your game (for whatever reason) to be put in front of experts who matter to you to be publicly shamed (even if the judges tried to be as kind as possible)...there's just no reason for that, and I think Guy knew that.  I also think he was trying to tell Madison that (between the lines) using the clock to do it (i.e. "Listen Madison, just live to cook another day)"

I also think Amanda thought the same with her comment about not wanting to win as she did.  Christian messed up and forgot a sauce.  Madison completely flamed out (no pun intended).

• Love 4

Spoilers are going to be by battle this week.   My watching pattern is fractured today.

Spoiler

Battle #1

Winner: Votaggio!  Yay!  If Tiffany had been battling against Mularkey, I would have been rooting for her, but I like Michael.  He won by a healthy margin---8 points. 

The randomizer item was little-neck clams.  One judge (Scott Connant) thought Tiffany's mushrooms that she used were more forward than the clams.

Connant also called the randomizer the equalizer.

i thought what Michael did with the grill pan was slick.

I also thought that he was very complimentary toward Tiffany.  He hugged her and you could her his mike as he was congratulating on her dish.  It seemed very genuine.  He also clapped her out with the rest of the audience.

He seems like MUCH less of a jerk this year.

I shall return in a bit with the results of Battle #2

• Love 4

@Ohmo 

You just made my day!  It has been a Blech day so far and seeing your post made me smile. A today first!  I’ll keep looking for more spoilers….maybe there will be more smiles and less sad sack. 

Thank you. 

• Love 1

Battle #2

Spoiler

Winner: Akunowicz

They tied at 74.  First tiebreaker was taste.  Also tied.  Went to second tiebreaker.  Karen won by 2.

Nancy called Aarti's dish "erotic." (One of the radomizer categories was "romantic dinner.")

Simon was Aarti's commentator.  He said on camera that he wasn't sure that the spiralized strawberries were a great idea.  Judges seemed to agree.

I'm glad that Karen won, but I wouldn't have been mad if Aarthi had won.

I hate seafood.  Like legit hate it.  The protein was skate.  I wanted to at least taste both dishes.

• Love 2
(edited)

Battle # 3

Spoiler

Winner: Dorzon

Radomizer included swordfish, pears, cedar plank, and fast food.  Edmony made kabobs with and Asian pear salad.  The kabobs didn't hold together on the skewer, so everything went on pita, and the judges ate it like a gyro.

She ground the swordfish.  Nancy and Rocco didn't like that.

Tobias made fish and chips with pear salsa.

Scott came down hard on Tobias.  He didn't think it was a good "concept dish.," and also said the salsa was all over the place.  Also criticized the knife cuts used for the salsa.

I think this was a "2 for 1" situation.  Nancy and Rocco liked Tobias' dish.  The spread was 4 points.  I like Tobias, so I'm fine that he won.  Einat is OK.  I don't dislike her, but of the two of them, I prefer Tobias.

ETA: When Einat left the floor, she said to herself that she was shocked that she lost.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

Battle # 4

Spoiler

Winner: Williamson, which I'm fine with because Mularkey is annoying.

The spread was 7 points.

Razor clams, edemome pods, meat grinder, comfort food.

Brooke made razor clam chowder, but she put razor clams, spinach, and other stuff at the bottom of the bowl and poured her chowder base over it.  Then, she made edemome fritters that were like croutons.  Judges thought her chowder was too thick.  In her trailer, Brooke said she likes her chowder thick.

Brian made razor clam dumplings (think Asian).  He also made like three sauces it seemed like, and I think that's what tripped him up.  There was a lot going on in the sauces, and they overpowered the clams.  Nancy said one of the sauces was really spicy, (not in a good way), and she likes spice.

Unlike some, I think Brooke is confident, not arrogant.  She won TOC I, was runner-up last year, and is now in the final eight.  Personally, I have no problem with her attitude because (unlike Christa), Brooke's backing it up.  That's the difference I see between arrogance and confidence, and IMO Brooke has every right to be confident.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think my favorite aspect of TOC is Simon and Justin commentating.  They are both wonderful souls, it seems.  

As for Brooke, I don’t really mind her and she’s certainly very talented, but she’s a little hard to warm up to, for me.  I think she’s actually kind of a quiet person which comes across as arrogant and unfriendly, especially when compared to so many who are outgoing and fun while cooking.

What works very, very well for me is muting Guy when he’s doing his loud announcements.  I then unmute and go on to enjoy the show :)

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 10

I'm so happy Brooke won, just on general principle that she's one of my favorites (she is seriously impressive as a competitor on this and Top Chef, and as a chef; I've had the pleasure of eating her food several times), but also that she sent Malarkey packing.  Those edamame fritters as croutons were a good idea, so I was really happy they worked.  Her whole dish looked delicious.  (Not that I'd have turned his down, certainly; I just really wanted to grab a spoon and try hers.)  I love that even when she doesn't have nothing but this is the greatest feedback, she still wins by seven points! 

In the first match-up, I wanted to taste both dishes so badly.  I was rooting for Tiffany, since I really liked her on Top Chef and was pretty neutral on him (personality wise; I liked both their food), but I think Michael did a better job showcasing the randomizer ingredients.  And he had me laughing out loud with his reactions as one by one chefs who know their Italian food came out to eat his faux pasta.  And with his explaining the pattern is not in his favor, since Brooke beat him in round one the first time and in round two the second time, and now he's going to face her in round three the third time.  Tonight was the most I'd ever enjoyed Michael Voltaggio as a person in addition to a chef.

In the second, I was rooting for Karen, and was surprised she got fewer presentation points than Aarthi.  Nancy Silverton must have given Aarthi a lot of points for that "erotic" presentation.

I'm not at all familiar with either chef in the third match-up, and I got interrupted a few minutes into it and missed the whole thing. 

For anyone keeping track, this time the answer to "Does Simon always present the higher-seeded chef's food?" was half the time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

with his explaining the pattern is not in his favor, since Brooke beat him in round one the first time and in round two the second time, and now he's going to face her in round three the third time.  Tonight was the most I'd ever enjoyed Michael Voltaggio as a person in addition to a chef.

I loved — and was surprised by — seeing Michael’s big smile a couple of times.  It was jarring — he so rarely smiles at all.  He was the same warm way recently when he was a judge on the Julia Child show and I really noticed how engaging he was.  

• Love 5

I was rooting for Tiffany Derry; I really wanted to eat her food! (I love mushrooms!)  As cool as Michael Voltaggio is, I don't think he can beat Brooke. 

I was rooting for Aarthi Sampath; Her food looked better to me.  I'm trying to figure out why spiralizing her onions and strawberries was such a bad idea.  She used the randomizer item in her dish! Now the judges can dock you for not using the hardware in the way they think the chef should have used it?

I was rooting for Tobias Dorzon.  I felt Einat Admony went into left field when she ground the swordfish.  Scott Conant was starting to bug me with his nitpickiness throughout the tournament; isn't he the judge who haaaaates red onions on Chopped? 

I just wanted Malarkey off my tv. When he spoke in the talking head, he stated that he has a tendency to either not do enough or do too much.  Tonight it was too much. He definitely needs to bring it down a notch or ten next year. I couldn't imagine cooking in the midst of that racket!

• Love 2

I was always rather neutral about Michael Voltaggio until he started showing up on, of all things, GGG.  I especially enjoyed him in the shows where the chefs were cooking at home and he seemed to be having fun.  So I became a fan.  I like Tiffany Derry but I was very glad that Michael won that round.

I didn't have any preference in round 2.  I thought Karen's dish looked sort of ugly but the judges liked it so she took the win.  I was a little surprised that the randomizer is weighted more heavily than presentation.  I suppose that's the creativity part.

In round 3, I was seriously rooting for Tobias.  I like him a lot better than Einat who I suspect is hell on wheels in her own kitchen.  His fish looked good and her "kabobs" didn't look inviting at all.  

I like Brian Malarkey despite his goofiness.  He has a good reputation as both chef and businessman.  I don't like Brooke but the point spread was wide enough that her dish must have been significantly better so she earned her win.  Darn it.  

• Love 7

I like Tiffany but she suffered the same problem a lot of chefs do on this show:  getting incredulous and offended when a judge offers criticism of their dish.  Brooke was guilty of this tonight too.   Even though Michael V looked like he had his hair done as Jiffy Lube, it's still mile better than the Smurf blue and piss yellow he had been sporting so I was ok with his win.

Didn't really care in the second battle, but those scores were embarrassing.  I don't think either winner will go much farther.  Were they both in the 70s in their previous rounds?

Didn't have a favorite in battle 3 either.  Both of them had the 'what are the judges smoking' attitude going on so didn't care who won.   But I knew Einat was toast.   Why would you grind swordfish for a kabob?  First a kabob isn't a fast food classic (unless there's a McKabob at some international McDonald's) but if you're doing a kabob just cut up the fish.   Second, if you're going to grind the fish, make a swordfish burger and somehow make it a play on a Filet-o-Fish.

Malarkey is just annoying/irritating/exhausting but I was kind of hoping he would take Brooke out.   She's obviously very skilled but I just find her off putting.   I know the producers make her carry that ridiculous belt around, but it's annoying and I get the feeling she likes playing into it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Didn't have a favorite in battle 3 either.  Both of them had the 'what are the judges smoking' attitude going on so didn't care who won.   But I knew Einat was toast.   Why would you grind swordfish for a kabob?  First a kabob isn't a fast food classic (unless there's a McKabob at some international McDonald's) but if you're doing a kabob just cut up the fish.   Second, if you're going to grind the fish, make a swordfish burger and somehow make it a play on a Filet-o-Fish.

Kebobs are a huge fast food item (fast casual, really) in Berlin, where there is a large Turkish population.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Kebobs are a huge fast food item (fast casual, really) in Berlin, where there is a large Turkish population.  

In Toronto Souvlaki is big although the skewer is removed before it is served. 

• Love 3

Can't understand Scott and Nancy's nitpicking Brooke's chowder consistently. Every time we have had it in New England; always it was on the thick side.  And my husband is from the Massachusetts/New Hampshire area so I have had ample times to partake of the chowder.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Maverick said:

Even though Michael V looked like he had his hair done as Jiffy Lube, it's still mile better than the Smurf blue and piss yellow he had been sporting so I was ok with his win.

I think the "Smurf blue a piss yellow" were for Ukraine.

I'm glad he won.

10 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

Pretty sure this was filmed before the invasion.

Well, in that case, I don't know why he would wear his hair like that. 

I thought it was weird that Michael V was so "worried" about the Italian-chef judges judging his pasta. Yours was "pasta," Michael, made of turnips and leeks.

I thought that the so-called "erotic" dish wasn't -- in particular the Indian upma looked like dog food. Sorry. 

I don't understand why the judges were so hard on the ground-up swordfish. Of course, I can't stand the texture of swordfish, so grinding it up and making a kebab sounded like a good idea to me. 

Glad to see loud Malarky go away.

I really do not care for Einat’s personality at all so I was very glad to see her defeat.  Her overconfidence is very off-putting.  On the opposite end of that, I loved Tobias’ reaction to how much this means to him.  

I laughed out loud after Scott called it the Equalizer and then Tiffany did too!

As much as he is an unabashed showman, I like Brian Malarkey.  I think he’s a good guy.

• Love 12
(edited)
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

First a kabob isn't a fast food classic

There are half a dozen fast food/fast casual kabob places near me.

18 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Scott Conant was starting to bug me with his nitpickiness throughout the tournament; isn't he the judge who haaaaates red onions on Chopped?

Yes.  He's a twit.  He also once went on a ridiculous rant that a cheftestant had "disrespected" the protein, because she used tongs to handle a piece of fish she was filleting.  But she used tongs because she'd cut that hand! 

And, of course, there's the wage theft.  I can't stand that guy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There are half a dozen fast food/fast casual kabob places near me.

Yes.  He's a twit.  He also once went on a ridiculous rant that a cheftestant had "disrespected" the protein, because she used tongs to handle a piece of fish she was filleting.  But she used tongs because she'd cut that hand!  And, of course, there's the wage theft.  I can't stand that guy.

And I'm not a fan of Nancy Silverton, too.  Too much into the gimmick hairdo and dress.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, cameron said:

And I'm not a fan of Nancy Silverton, too.

I like her because I know her (as an acquaintance, not a friend, so I only see her occasionally as part of a group) -- she's smart, compassionate, and generous, and makes delicious food.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

Malarkey is just annoying/irritating/exhausting but I was kind of hoping he would take Brooke out.   She's obviously very skilled but I just find her off putting.   I know the producers make her carry that ridiculous belt around, but it's annoying and I get the feeling she likes playing into it.

I wonder why it’s important for her to still be carrying it around? She was the winner the first season and not the current defender. A few more seasons and each contest will be carrying a belt.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm sure product is requiring her to do that.   It plays into the whole sports theme/ego/smack talk this show strives for.  Plus it reminds us how awesome Brooke is.  

I haven't seen enough of Nancy Silverton on these shows to have much of an opinion of her as a person but her style is.... something else. It's just way too over the top for me.   But then the fashion sense of a lot of people on this show is out there.   There's Guy with his bleached hair and West Coast baller getup where he looks like he's trying to be a flashier version of the dude on Storage Wars.   Simon's douchy hats this season, which apparently he got a deal on when he bought one in every color.   Einat's red jumpsuit from the first episode which was Jo from Facts of Life circa 1986.   Psilakis' beard which, to paraphrase Karen Walker, looked like her had mousse and squirrel in there.  Brooke's ubiquitous Ewok Ears buns.  Malarkey's creepy Six Flags Dancing Dude look.  

Cameron said Ferris Bueller was going to be a fry cook on Venus.  I think he could be on this show and meet that prediction. 

Edited by Maverick
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Scott Conant continues to be an insufferable prick. He's the main reason I stopped watching Chopped. Blech.

I wanted Arthi to win because her food seems pretty thoughtful, creative, and delicious. I thought both dishes in that round were pretty close.

I figured Brooke was a shoe-in against Malarkey. He barely wins on GGG. Winning on TOC is a huge hill for him to climb. I know most people don't like him, but I think he's funny. His food always seems too busy for me.

I like Tobias. He seems like a really nice person, but I was surprised he won with fish and chips. I thought fish and chips was too obvious. Usually, the judges seem to get put off by the obvious choices.

Michael V. vs Brooke next week. That's going to be a nail biter.

• Love 3

Was I the only one to notice that the randomizer in the first (little neck clams) challenge between Voltaggio and Tiffany Derry landed on the exact same things as it started out on except the time was different (it started on 35 min. but ended on 40 min)?  What are the odds of that just happening by chance?  I'd love those odds if I were playing the lottery!   And here I just read an interview with Guy where he swore that the randomizer is really random and that they keep all the proteins on hand and have them prepped on the spot, blah, blah, blah.....

I saw that when Guy was going to spin the randomizer - and it showed the exact same things that it landed on, I meant to go back and take a picture.  Maybe they needed to redo the shot or something. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lois said:

I saw that when Guy was going to spin the randomizer - and it showed the exact same things that it landed on, I meant to go back and take a picture.  Maybe they needed to redo the shot or something. 

I considered that, but the time was different.  I went back to look and the original time before spinning was 40 minutes, but after he spun it it landed on 35 minutes.  Plus, the only wheel that wasn't rocking back and forth a little when they focused on them landing was the one for the minutes.  It didn't move at all.  Weird.

Also, even if it was a redo shot they should know that people are already suspicious of the randomizer if they have to defend its randomness in interviews and reset the wheels. 

Edited by Yeah No
ETA second paragraph.
12 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I like Tobias. He seems like a really nice person, but I was surprised he won with fish and chips. I thought fish and chips was too obvious. Usually, the judges seem to get put off by the obvious choices.

I wouldn't have thought that swordfish would make good fish and chips.  But it's a fish I won't eat and wish they'd stop using in competitions -- too unsustainable.

• Love 4

I hate that it's going to be Michael vs Brooke next week. Although maybe that's just because so many of the other 1 and 2 seeds lost, and I feel like it's not fair to match up these two when there are other people moving on with clearly inferior dishes.

• Love 6

Brooke is an amazing, innovative chef and perhaps as somebody pointed out earlier, reserved and not really into the ho-ha of Guy's making.  Having said that, what I get from her is a sense of entitlement which is re-inforced every time she totes the winner's belt into the kitchen.  Brooke is not the current champion, it's Maneet, so in my traditionalist way, I'm put off by that.  Granted it may be Guy-mandated, but still (to me) a bad decision.   Hoping Michael is at the top of his game next week.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 4/5/2022 at 12:52 AM, MerBearHou said:

As much as he is an unabashed showman, I like Brian Malarkey.  I think he’s a good guy.

I like him too! Chaotic yes but not mean spirited. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 13

Einat bugged me in the previous round, but this time, after she snapped at Justin  'Don't stress me!' when he gave her the time (I think it was down to 3 minutes) no doubt in an effort to be helpful, I was done. Add that to her incredulity at losing......lady, I'm over you and your attitude.

• Love 7
Just now, allirish47 said:

Einat bugged me in the previous round, but this time, after she snapped at Justin  'Don't stress me!' when he gave her the time (I think it was down to 3 minutes) no doubt in an effort to be helpful, I was done. Add that to her incredulity at losing......lady, I'm over you and your attitude.

1000%

I hope I never see Einat again.  

• Love 4

I was happy to see Michel V and Tobias win.  If Brooke was facing anyone else I would have been rooting for her to lose but with it being Brian I am glad she won. I really want a Jet vs Michael final.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I wouldn't have thought that swordfish would make good fish and chips.  But it's a fish I won't eat and wish they'd stop using in competitions -- too unsustainable.

I saw Chilean Sea Bass on the Randomizer. I thought we weren't supposed to eat that fish anymore...

This episode was kind of a dud, to me.  I didn't know half the chefs well enough to care very much about the outcome.  And I thought it was funny that Judge Rocco DiSpirito was received with a level of ambivalence that barely exceeded Giada's.

On 4/3/2022 at 7:11 PM, MerBearHou said:

I think my favorite aspect of TOC is Simon and Justin commentating.  They are both wonderful souls, it seems.  

[...]

What works very, very well for me is muting Guy when he’s doing his loud announcements.  I then unmute and go on to enjoy the show :)

We need to stretch out on the same couch for this show,.  I miss the post-show recap that Simon, Guy and Justin used to give us to fill out the last few remaining minutes.

And I've grown very adept at muting Guy's ridiculous "professional announcer voice" drawing out the entering chef's name for five minutes.  He's still faster than my muter finger with "my brutha from another mutha" though.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Ellee said:

Can it be a Jet-Michael final??   Both are West coast. Am I not seeing something.  

I’d like that too

Oh crap, he is West coast  I thought Jet was East coast.  Well, I hope it's a face off of Jet and Michael for the west coast.  That would be the final for me lol.

(edited)
13 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I saw Chilean Sea Bass on the Randomizer. I thought we weren't supposed to eat that fish anymore...

It seems to change from year to year or who you listen to on the subject.  According to this article from 2021, thanks to "more sustainable fishing practices" it's now considered vulnerable but not endangered, which means you won't generally see it in supermarkets any time soon but it may pop up in fine restaurants now and then.  It's so expensive(something like $30 a lb.) most people wouldn't buy it anyway.

Also I read that there is some concern over mercury levels in the fish which is another reason some people look down on it.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Also I read that there is some concern over mercury levels in the fish which is another reason some people look down on it.

Another reason not to eat swordfish either.  A lot of the issues with "Chilean sea bass" stemmed from illegal fishing practices, but apparently the fishery has bounced back after better regulations were put in place.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

It seems to change from year to year or who you listen to on the subject.  According to this article from 2021, thanks to "more sustainable fishing practices" it's now considered vulnerable but not endangered, which means you won't generally see it in supermarkets any time soon but it may pop up in fine restaurants now and then.  It's so expensive(something like $30 a lb.) most people wouldn't buy it anyway.

Its real name is Patagonia tooth fish, but fish mongers didn't think people would go with the name.  Hence, the name change to something fancier sounding.  Sustainability keeps changing like everything from the sea.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Another reason not to eat swordfish either.  A lot of the issues with "Chilean sea bass" stemmed from illegal fishing practices, but apparently the fishery has bounced back after better regulations were put in place.

I've had it and I don't get what all the fuss is over it.  Black cod is very similar plus it's much more sustainable and relatively low in mercury too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I've had it and I don't get what all the fuss is over it.  Black cod is very similar plus it's much more sustainable and relatively low in mercury too.

I don't think I've ever eaten it, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  Plenty of other, better choices to make.