Type keyword(s) to search

Tournament Of Champions - General Discussion

Message added by JTMacc99,

Spoiler Policy: Any information about an episode posted before it happens on the East Coast Food Network broadcast should be put under spoiler tags. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I remember JAG had issues on FNS, but they surfaced after everything had aired. I forget how they handled it, but I do recall them doing something.

Edit: JAG got busted before the finale and was forced to withdraw. Found the following article.

https://www.ocregister.com/2007/07/16/jag-gets-court-martialed/

That article is behind a paywall.  This one isn't:

https://www.realitytvworld.com/news/josh-jag-garcia-withdraws-from-the-next-food-network-star-3-5510.php

To make a long story short, when JAG was found out as lying about his military career, he voluntarily dropped out of the competition, however it had already been filmed up to the point where the final 2 remained, which were JAG and Rory Schepisi.  So the show announced that he had withdrawn and called back the 2nd runner up, Amy Finley, who had already been eliminated.  Then the two finalists went on the Rachael Ray show for a cook-off and presentation and those were the days when the audience voted for the winner in real time, and Amy Finley won.  She filmed a few shows but later backed out saying she had a change of heart and didn't really want to have a cooking show.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Then the two finalists went on the Rachael Ray show for a cook-off and presentation and those were the days when the audience voted for the winner in real time, and Amy Finley won.

Boy howdy did Rory and her family go on a major SM campaign to get people to vote for her. She was not a happy camper when she lost. Do I correctly remember tears?

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Boy howdy did Rory and her family go on a major SM campaign to get people to vote for her. She was not a happy camper when she lost. Do I correctly remember tears?

That was a long time ago but I think you're right!

On 2/16/2024 at 10:40 AM, meep.meep said:

In the Bay Area, where Guy lives, the Golden State Warriors are known as the Dubs, so it's more likely a play on that.

I watched the matchup episode and they definitely skipped over the Darnell/Amanda matchup.  They showed the other three ones, and then after describing the Garces one the next cut was Guy saying "And that's everyone!"

Wikipedia has the first round match ups posted.  Will be interesting to see how it is handled.  

IMG_2389.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

She probably somehow wins even if she didn't really win. If that makes sense

yeah, they can edit the judges comments however they want, and the scores are just presented, so..... That would be rather slimy though. I hope they are more transparent. But if she didn't actually win, she wouldn't be in the next round (since I assume these were filmed before all hell broke loose?) I guess we shall see.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

But if she didn't actually win, she wouldn't be in the next round

I think what I mean is if Ferguson beat her and then all hell broke loose, they might have her win by default. I doubt we're going to get the level of transparency we'd like, but who knows?

• Like 1
(edited)

I noticed they did not announce the no. 4 vs. no. 5 matchup in the final bracket.

So glad that Justin and Simon are back, rather than Hunter.

Edited by susannot
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think what I mean is if Ferguson beat her and then all hell broke loose, they might have her win by default. I doubt we're going to get the level of transparency we'd like, but who knows?

It would all depend on when things happened. I’m inclined to believe Darnell’s problems occurred after filming was completed since these things are usually filmed on a tight schedule so a contest that won wouldn’t leave town with a new match up coming 8n a day or two.  So it wouldn’t be possible to pivot. 

• Like 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

It would all depend on when things happened. I’m inclined to believe Darnell’s problems occurred after filming was completed since these things are usually filmed on a tight schedule so a contest that won wouldn’t leave town with a new match up coming 8n a day or two.  So it wouldn’t be possible to pivot. 

Well, if Amanda beat Superchef, no harm no foul, just don't show that match. She goes on with no reshoots needed. They can just say it was a walkover or something like that.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I was a bit surprised at Carla Hall being a judge.  I like her but I never thought of her as an esteemed chef/judge.

I would love to see Emeril Lagasse as a judge.

Carla is usually a judge on baking shows rather than general cooking. I like her too.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Trey said:

Carla is usually a judge on baking shows rather than general cooking. I like her too.

I think she got her tv start on Top Chef, so even though she specializes in baking shows, she has full cooking creds. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Hootie! 

(Reply to me if you remember) 😀

I see your “Hootie” and I raise you “Beef Tongue!!!” (from All-Stars).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I like Carla and she has been one of the most successful Top Chef alums, but mostly as a TV host and judge.  I respect the other two chefs and all chefs who have long histories in the restaurant industry, which Carla does not.