Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E5: Mask-Matics: Group B Playoffs

• Start Topic

I don't understand how only a few of the guesses were Dionne Warwicke last week and even this week, when her voice is so recognizable.  It wasn't until the very end that they all (except Ken) came together with their guesses.  It has to be a producer-driven thing--they must not want too many guesses of the same person and must instruct the judges what to guess.  

• Love 8

I am fairly new to this show and from the get-go I thought the panel had to have a list of potential celebrities with background info for the "singers."  I don't think they are actually told in advance who the singer is, but they do have a list to choose from.    And with tonight's elimination, I'm convinced either the celebrity agrees to do a specific # of shows or the producers want certain celebrities voted off early, especially when it's obvious who is under the mask.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I don't understand how only a few of the guesses were Dionne Warwicke last week and even this week, when her voice is so recognizable.  It wasn't until the very end that they all (except Ken) came together with their guesses.  It has to be a producer-driven thing--they must not want too many guesses of the same person and must instruct the judges what to guess.  

I’m not sure that the judges are told what to guess, but in the interest of creating drama, suspense and discussion, I’d think the judges are told to come up with a variety of possibilities and not to hone in one one opinion too quickly.

• Love 4

That Banana is 100% Bret Michaels.  I've followed him for years and have been to Poison concerts.  The hang 10 hands in the beginning followed by the banana insulin injection sealed it for me.

Last week, I was convinced that Taco is Tim Allen.  Now I have no clue. *shrugs*

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, kstar821 said:

That Banana is 100% Bret Michaels.  I've followed him for years and have been to Poison concerts.  The hang 10 hands in the beginning followed by the banana insulin injection sealed it for me.

Last week, I was convinced that Taco is Tim Allen.  Now I have no clue. *shrugs*

I still think Taco is Tim Allen. When he said he met the (can't remember the word) woman in the Galaxy was a nod to Galaxy Quest. He was a top show in the late 80's, and all of the shows listed were 80s shows. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, sas616 said:

And with tonight's elimination, I'm convinced either the celebrity agrees to do a specific # of shows or the producers want certain celebrities voted off early, especially when it's obvious who is under the mask.   

Yes - I agree to this.  Its like they say, just show up for 2 shows and we'll back a truck of money up to your house.  Then they let the lesser knowns stay on a while.  I believe it is all producer driven vs any studio voting counting for the most part.  I am sure they do like to keep the characters around that get a ton of votes hoping that extrapolates over to the same kind of popularity with the tv audience.

4 hours ago, kstar821 said:

I agree.  I've watched enough Rock of Love and Rock of Love Bus to know that's exactly who that is.  I can tell it's Bert by the way he talks and the words he chooses.  I think he used the word "awesome" several times last night and he kept talking about just wanting to have fun.  Plus, since he can't dress up like his signature bandana, naturally a banana costume is the next best thing.

On another note, the song choices this season have been absolutely horrendous.  Just terrible.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I think this is the situation.  I think it is that celebrities agree to do a certain number of shows.   This "competition" takes a lot of time to complete and I would imagine some celebrities either are unable to or don't want to commit to such a lengthy season.

I don't think any diva would want to do this series.  I can think of a few people that would be good choices, but I don't know if their "inflated egos" would allow them to do it.

I do agree with the posters from last week, Banana is Brett Michaels.

Taco has me totally stumped.

FWIW, the UK version of the show was filmed in 8 days.  Has anyone ever said how long it took for the US version of the show to be filmed?  

Also, was that Jon Heder playing one of the "advisors" in Banana's video?  

6 hours ago, kstar821 said:

Even after he said the words "galaxy" and "buzz" in his clip package?

I also Googled Allen and discovered that he met his current wife when they made a movie called "Zoom" together in 2006. 

3 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

Even after he said the words "galaxy" and "buzz" in his clip package?

I also Googled Allen and discovered that he met his current wife when they made a movie called "Zoom" together in 2006. 

I'm also guessing Tim Allen because of those buzz words.  He also did a stance that Buzz Lightyear would do while talking to the judges.  The voice doesn't sound like him but the rest matches.

I think the judges knew it was Dionne last week but didn't want too many people guessing that.  Her voice is too distinct not to catch it.  You don't even need clues.  I'm wondering if the audience want to see dancing/goofing around and they don't like when singers like Dionne and Patti just stand and sing.  Also, I like it better when it's two people against each other instead of having them choose from five/six people.  Otherwise, people vote for their favorite but risk losing their second or third favorite. 

Banana also mentioned having a lot of carbs, which is something a diabetic would have to be concerned with. But I tell ya, if Nicole really didn't know that fruit is usually made of carbs (avocado notwithstanding), she is dumb as a post.

21 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Gladys, Patti, Dionne....I sense a theme here. Anyone want to make a guess which legendary singer they'll get for season 4?

Maybe they will actually get Tina Turner, since they've guessed her like 25 times now. And I bet she would actually dance a bit. 

If the Banana is Bret Michaels though, then what's with all the clues indicating it's a country-style comedian? Like the "Git R Done" reference, or "my daughter gave me a SIGN telling me to do this show", which led me to believe it's Bill Engvall? Engvall also had a short-lived sitcom (it's actually where Jennifer Lawrence got her start as an actress). 

5 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

If the Banana is Bret Michaels though, then what's with all the clues indicating it's a country-style comedian? Like the "Git R Done" reference, or "my daughter gave me a SIGN telling me to do this show", which led me to believe it's Bill Engvall? Engvall also had a short-lived sitcom (it's actually where Jennifer Lawrence got her start as an actress). 

Brett has 2 daughters.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

FWIW, the UK version of the show was filmed in 8 days.  Has anyone ever said how long it took for the US version of the show to be filmed?  

2-3 months

54 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

They are throwing in more red herring clues this year. Common phrases like those are the most likely ones put into throw people off. 

I don't even bother paying attention to the clues anymore. Obviously they want everyone buzzing about who the celebs can be based on them, which lots of people are, but in the end it doesn't matter. Rather pay more attention to the performances. I agree, the song choices seem much more lame this season.

14 hours ago, Bali said:

I still think Taco is Tim Allen. When he said he met the (can't remember the word) woman in the Galaxy was a nod to Galaxy Quest. He was a top show in the late 80's, and all of the shows listed were 80s shows. 

Home improvement? That was a 90's show lol. I saw its Tom Bergeron. The video tapes, the references to Dancing( he hosted America's funniest home videos and currently hosts DWTS). Once hosted A revival of Hollywood Squares with Whoopi Goldberg as the center Square. He also owns Tom's Tacos. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Josh371982 said:

Home improvement? That was a 90's show lol. I saw its Tom Bergeron. The video tapes, the references to Dancing( he hosted America's funniest home videos and currently hosts DWTS). Once hosted A revival of Hollywood Squares with Whoopi Goldberg as the center Square. He also owns Tom's Tacos. 

Tom Bergeron also recorded a song for a Mr. Rogers album. Hence the trolley. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 2/28/2020 at 1:45 AM, CynVicious said:

Banana Bret better make sure he staples his bandana hair piece to his head. I would be embarrassed for him if it falls off when he takes his mask off😉

One of the ‘secret service’ men had a clear toupee on his head.  Even tho I don’t think it sounds like the Bret from Poison, I agree.

The carbs, the fact that diabetes can play a role affecting his vocal capability, the cowboy boots & hat.

17 hours ago, roamyn said:

One of the ‘secret service’ men had a clear toupee on his head.  Even tho I don’t think it sounds like the Bret from Poison, I agree.

The one with the dark, curly hair who looked like a rock star?

1 hour ago, MrsEVH said:

The one with the dark, curly hair who looked like a rock star?

No, it was gray.  He was on the end, while they were seated at a table.

Maybe others had it on too, and I didn’t notice.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

No, it was gray.  He was on the end, while they were seated at a table.

Maybe others had it on too, and I didn’t notice.

Just found a youtube clip of it. Whatever it was it was awful.