Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Somebody's Grandmother and the A-List

jewel21

Sometimes this show really represents AA and its members in a spot-on and funny way.  This episode wasn't one of those.

When Bonnie apologizes to Jill for stealing her silver I was shocked that not one of her AA friends suggested she should make a 9th step amends instead.  The writers of this particular episode obviously know nothing of AA. 

When I made 9th step amends my sponsor gave me a 5 point plan.  1.  State why I'm here.  2.  State what I did.  3.  Apologize  4.  Ask how I can fix this.  5.  Is there something I've forgotten.

Someone should tell the writers that an apology is not an amends, it's one part of an amends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Bonnie's "Sounds like it was cursed" line was so clever and hilarious 🤣

Margerie looked just stunning at her "date", that red color really works on her. I felt sorry for her when she was disappointed, but the "I'm fine being alone. I'm like you in that way" line was clever because it's so untrue. Last week's episode showed us just how desperate Christy is to find a man.

• Love 8

The more I looked at Wayne, the more I realized who that was. Peter Onorati is definitely one of those guys who you would recognize from stuff you have watched, despite not being a well-known name. I will always remember him as the guy who played Andrew Keegan's character's father in Camp Nowhere, as well as appeared in a 4-part episode of Walker, Texas Ranger as a New York detective. 

As for other parts, I was laughing at the closing line when Christy said, "I DON'T HAVE A MAN!"

• Love 7

Someone should tell the writers that an apology is not an amends, it's one part of an amends.

...not to mention that Bonnie HAS made proper amends to people she has stolen from: the lady whose house she broke into, and to Beverly, for stealing cat tranquilizers.

• Love 4

I guess "old" Bonnie wouldn't have even fessed up to the theft, so there's that, as far as progress goes. And how convenient Jill was being judged by one of her rivals for her past self at the same time. But overall this was a very messy and uncomfortable story to tell. And I'm not even sure how much you could get fencing stolen silver, frankly. 

Christy and the velour track suits was pretty funny, even though I wish Christy would get more of the A plots that always seem to go to Bonnie.

• Love 7

I liked at the end when Christy walked into the room in a different color track suit, and they're like, how many of those did you get??! I loved how unapologetically she wore them! I thought she looked pretty good in them, actually. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

I liked at the end when Christy walked into the room in a different color track suit, and they're like, how many of those did you get??! I loved how unapologetically she wore them! I thought she looked pretty good in them, actually. 

I thought the last one made her look super old, lol. But I did enjoy how much she enjoyed wearing them, hee.

• Love 2

That was a good episode on the sartorial front: I loved Bonnie's top in the opening scene, Marjorie's red dress was fantastic and Jill's sparkly number out of this world - but nothing beats 'I'm wearing kittens' LOL! And then she showed up in another one much to Jill's dismay!

I was surprised that Bonnie did actually confess pretty quickly - I really expected that the housekeepers would lose their jobs first. Did she get off too easily? Probably - I liked Tammy's line about consequences. It was a bit contrived that Jill had to deal with something similar but there was also continuity since Jill's struggle with her socialite circle has been an on-going topic.

Christy getting excited about Marjorie's rom-com date was also great. I enjoyed it overall and I hope there's no further heartbreak for Marjorie. 

• Love 9

This was kind of a messy and uncomfortable story to tell because Bonnie especially already has a tendency to be quick to insist that she's a better person now so what she did before shouldn't be held against her and why are you even bringing it up. (Unless it's a very special Christmas episode where that's all she can wallow in).  She's been doing better acknowledging her past this last season or so, but it felt like a regression that she first tried to skirt around admitting what she'd done and then immediately expected to be forgiven because that's what she wanted and she felt ready to move on.   I loved Adam calling her on that, which also added a little insight into how he can be in a relationship with her in that he generally makes a conscious choice not to engage with her crazymaking.  It's just convenient that Jill's half of the story had her being given a second chance with the same people who roundly rejected her earlier in the show's run, which would have left her looking like the bad guy had she not also then been magnanimous in turn even though she was the one who had been robbed.

That burgundy velvet dress was gorgeous on Marjorie.  It's nice to see them letting the actress step it up for once from her usual old lady wear.  The "Forever 71" store, though, was a hoot as was Christy with her multiple velour track suits.  "It's like I'm wearing a kitten!"

• Love 9

It's a three camera sitcom by Chuck Lorre. I love it, but you are not going to get inventive ground-breaking plot structure. What happened with Bonnie and Jill is classic A plot meets B plot. 

Christy pitching Rom-Coms the entire episode was fantastic. I hope she meets someone, not because every woman has to be paired off in order to be happy, but because she really wants to be in a romantic relationship with a man.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Agent 817 said:

The more I looked at Wayne, the more I realized who that was. Peter Onorati is definitely one of those guys who you would recognize from stuff you have watched, despite not being a well-known name. 

He is one of those guys! I had to google him; he also plays Jack's father in This Is Us.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Christy wearing the velour suits was funny.  Adam should have put on one of the ones Marjorie gave him that had belonged to Victor, it would have been fun seeing he and Christy wearing them together.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, 60sgirl said:

Christy wearing the velour suits was funny.  Adam should have put on one of the ones Marjorie gave him that had belonged to Victor, it would have been fun seeing he and Christy wearing them together.

Someone get a hold of Chuck Lorre and make this happen, I want to see this!! It would add another layer to the friendly low-key relationship that Adam and Christy have

• Love 6
On 2/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Although that may be true, I didn't feel as if Bonnie got off that easy.  Jill threw her out of her house after she admitted the theft, ignored her at the bistro, Bonnie tried to find replacement silverware which she purchased and gave to Jill, only for Jill to give it to another AA member right in front of Bonnie.  It was only after Jill's high-fallutin' club member said she wasn't going to hold Jill's past mistakes against her did Jill realize that it's exactly what she should be doing with Bonnie.  So, IMO, Bonnie didn't get a pass with a flippant apology

On 2/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, greekmom said:

Will the writers just give Christy a boyfriend or some love interest?!?!

Sheesh.

My thoughts about Wendy exactly!  At least Christy's had love interests/booty calls.  Bonnie's married, Jill's dating Andy, Marjorie gotten married on the series and is now widowed and dating and Tammy's dating.  While I appreciate the writers finally giving Wendy more of a voice this season, I'd like to see her featured more in a subplot as everyone else has had a chance to do

That shopping scene with Christy and Marjorie made me cringe.  I don't think I've ever come across an 'old lady clothing' store' full of pant suits, tunics, velour and farty, flowy blouses.  Marjorie may be older, but she's not geriatric for Pete's sake.  Why couldn't they have gone to a department store like Macys' etc. where there are people of all ages there?  Why was it important to emphasize Marjorie's age by pigeon holing her into a fuddy dud clothing store?

I really wish Jill would stop trying so hard to win the approval of her snooty club friends.  While I admire her for hosting an event to raise money for a worthy cause, I find her anxiety over playing the part and making sure she does everything right very concerning.  She's come a long way from that, especially with dating a blue collar man now (whose been invisible for a while)

• Love 3

Why couldn't they have gone to a department store like Macys' etc. where there are people of all ages there?  Why was it important to emphasize Marjorie's age by pigeon holing her into a fuddy dud clothing store?

Because otherwise Christy wouldn't have found the velour track suit and wouldn't have had a storyline. But I kind of thought Marjorie's burgundy outfit was just as fugly as Christy's track suit. Looked like it might have been made out of the same material.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2020 at 6:45 PM, iMonrey said:

But I kind of thought Marjorie's burgundy outfit was just as fugly as Christy's track suit. Looked like it might have been made out of the same material.

It was velvet and comes with a price tag you won't find in an old ladies' clothes store (it actually tops Jill's sparkly gown). Velvet is quite the rage right now hence the price tag. I think that's the first time Marjorie got an entry on wornontv.net LOL! Christy's velour* tracksuits are a lot cheaper but contain at least some cotton.

*velour is knitted and velvet is woven and considered the more luxurious.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I have to come out against the velvet dress for Marjorie. It was too fancy, too "Christmas's" and too similar to the fake velvet track suits they like to tease her about. Mimi Kennedy is 11 years older than me, and I hate the way they dress her. I have many friends who are in their 70's and they don't wear elastic waist pants, sweater vests, and track suits.

The stolen silver must have been very old, given Jill's comments about it being in her family for so long. It may have been worth a decent amount, or simply pawned by Bonnie for whatever she could get at the time. Look up the prices for Gorham silver on eBay...it brings nice prices.

It's not always easy to make amends, nor is it easy to forgive on demand. I have personal experience with something very sentimental being stolen, although I don't know who did it. It's a hurt that likes to come back.

9 hours ago, ctlady said:

That shopping scene with Christy and Marjorie made me cringe.  I don't think I've ever come across an 'old lady clothing' store' full of pant suits, tunics, velour and farty, flowy blouses.  Marjorie may be older, but she's not geriatric for Pete's sake.  Why couldn't they have gone to a department store like Macys' etc. where there are people of all ages there?  Why was it important to emphasize Marjorie's age by pigeon holing her into a fuddy dud clothing store?

Bon Worth

https://www.bonworth.com/DisplayMaster.aspx?Fit=P&CatP=0.5

• Love 1
On 2/15/2020 at 9:45 AM, iMonrey said:

Because otherwise Christy wouldn't have found the velour track suit and wouldn't have had a storyline. But I kind of thought Marjorie's burgundy outfit was just as fugly as Christy's track suit. Looked like it might have been made out of the same material.

It’s the other way around actually. Christy’s track suit is from Macy’s and on sale for 60% off if anyone wants to see if it’s really like wearing kittens. 

On 2/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, ctlady said:

I think that’s more a product of Marjorie’s personality than age. I know someone who dresses in old lady clothing and it’s been that way as long as I can remember.