Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Picard in the Media

• Start Topic

Star Trek: Picard's Annie Wersching Previews a 'Very Different' Borg Queen: She's in 'Such Different Circumstances'

Now in this Thursday’s episode of Star Trek: Picard, Wersching returns to the Star Trek universe as the Borg Queen, the villainous leader first introduced in the 1996 film Star Trek: First Contact (played then by Alice Krige). However, the version we’ll come to meet in the Paramount+ series will be a stark contrast to previous iterations.

“When we find her, she’s under distress,” she tells TVLine. “We’re not used to seeing a Borg Queen who’s not completely in control. She’s used to having the Collective and the hive and all of the noise in her head of everyone’s thoughts and ideas. Now she’s quiet, literally for the first time in her existence, so that is different and strange and maddening for her. She starts in such different circumstances than we’ve seen the other queens in the past.”

I don't usually watch The Ready Room, but Lea Thompson was the guest this week, and I highly recommend checking it out.  She and Wil Wheaton had a great conversation.

Turns out, she's a proper Trekkie too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This behind-the-scenes video includes explanations from co-showrunner Akiva Goldsman and actress Ito Aghayere regarding Guinan's personality in 2024.  Below the video is my transcription of a couple of key quotes.

Star Trek: Picard | Adapting Guinan For The 21st Century

[1:13] Akiva Goldsman: "You know there are tentpoles to Guinan's history, but interpolation is possible.  So, we took at heart this idea that Guinan took some time listening.  We sorta thought well if you were listening here, now, you may not like what you heard.

[1:27] Ito Aghayere:  When we meet Guinan in 2024 Los Angeles, she is bitter and burnt out.  She is fed up with humanity after pouring her life into making a small corner of the Earth that she resides in better, and it's damaged her faith and her ability to hope that things will get better.

Edited by Just Here
1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

"Star Trek: Picard" Welcomes "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Cast Members Aboard Season Three

LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner will star alongside Patrick Stewart in the show's final season.

Hmm. I'm...not actually thrilled by this news. Not since the only STP cast members we know for sure are actually in season three are Raffi and Seven, and having spent two seasons getting to know and love a new cast...I'd quite like to keep them, thanks all the same.

I'd be delighted at the thought of seeing all those old faces again if I knew for sure they aren't coming at the expense of the new characters, though!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Hmm. I'm...not actually thrilled by this news. Not since the only STP cast members we know for sure are actually in season three are Raffi and Seven, and having spent two seasons getting to know and love a new cast...I'd quite like to keep them, thanks all the same.

I'd be delighted at the thought of seeing all those old faces again if I knew for sure they aren't coming at the expense of the new characters, though!

Based on what happened to Riker and Troi, and Kurtzman's buddy JJ's take on Star Wars & its returning characters, I'm sure we'll find out that they've all had horrible lives...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, ML89 said:

Based on what happened to Riker and Troi, and Kurtzman's buddy JJ's take on Star Wars & its returning characters, I'm sure we'll find out that they've all had horrible lives...

Riker and Troi were perfectly content when we met them in their new life, with their beautiful daughter. We learned that they had previously suffered a tragic loss, yes, but that doesn't mean their entire life since we last saw them has been horrible, far from it. It just means their lives have continued to move forward since last saw them, through both good times and bad times, which is only to be expected. Death and loss are, after all, an inevitable part of life. The death of their son was just part of their backstory for this series - just as Troi's backstory on TNG involved the deaths of her father and sister, and Riker's included the loss of his mother and abandonment by his father. In fact, every character on TNG except Geordi had a tragic backstory and even he lost his mother during the show, so past tragedies as fuel for present stories is 100% Star Trek.

That said, I do expect to learn that all of these characters have continued to, you know, live since we last saw them. None of them will have been in stasis, their lives unchanged, for the last 20 years! So yes, there will have been ups and downs for them all, some of which we might learn about. Which is far more realistic than pretending those 20 years haven't happened, or that nothing happened during them.

(JJ Abrams' take on Star Wars really doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with this show)

• Love 7
On 4/5/2022 at 12:30 PM, ML89 said:

It wouldn't shock me if they decided to Battlestar Galactica the lives of the Enterprise crew when we see them again. On BSG, if there were ten bad things that could happen in the life of a character, chances are each character had 9 of them happen to them. Whatever fight the theme Ronald Moore was trying to tell because he had no story mapped out whatsoever. 

I'm sure the rest of the crew has been unhappy and miserable since we've last seen them. That's "drama" after all....

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Riker and Troi were perfectly content when we met them in their new life, with their beautiful daughter. We learned that they had previously suffered a tragic loss, yes, but that doesn't mean their entire life since we last saw them has been horrible, far from it. It just means their lives have continued to move forward since last saw them, through both good times and bad times, which is only to be expected. Death and loss are, after all, an inevitable part of life. The death of their son was just part of their backstory for this series - just as Troi's backstory on TNG involved the deaths of her father and sister, and Riker's included the loss of his mother and abandonment by his father. In fact, every character on TNG except Geordi had a tragic backstory and even he lost his mother during the show, so past tragedies as fuel for present stories is 100% Star Trek.

That said, I do expect to learn that all of these characters have continued to, you know, live since we last saw them. None of them will have been in stasis, their lives unchanged, for the last 20 years! So yes, there will have been ups and downs for them all, some of which we might learn about. Which is far more realistic than pretending those 20 years haven't happened, or that nothing happened during them.

Yeah, it isn't like these characters have never experienced any sort of hardship in their lives before. And as others have pointed out, we even saw Worf lose his beloved wife on DS9...

• Love 3

Star Trek: Picard | Teaser Trailer (NYCC 2022)

Get a closer look at Star Trek: Picard Season 3 in an all-new teaser that premiered at the Star Trek Universe panel at New York Comic Con 2022. Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, and Michael Dorn of Star Trek: The Next Generation all return for one final high stakes mission. Stream the Season 3 premiere of Star Trek: Picard on Thursday, February 16, 2023, exclusively in the U.S. on Paramount+.

Edited by Just Here
14 hours ago, starri said:

Apparently holograms and androids age?

Holograms, why not? Just a matter of adjusting their programming, since everything about their appearance is programmed anyway. Androids, though, that one is harder to explain. But they already came up with an explanation for Data looking older, many years ago. And Data is dead now anyway.

I wish I could feel excited for this new season, but season two left such a sour taste in my mouth that my desire to watch the show seems to have been killed stone dead.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

I wish I could feel excited for this new season, but season two left such a sour taste in my mouth that my desire to watch the show seems to have been killed stone dead.

Same. I love those characters but I'm dreading what they'll do to them. I guess at least we won't have another season of Picard's Dickensian past, so there's that.

It is really wild to me that Data was such a good character - in both senses of the word, both an excellent character for TNG to have crafted, and a character who was pretty much the embodiment of goodness - but since TNG ended and Data was killed off, the franchise keeps bringing Brent Spiner back to play bad guys.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:28 PM, starri said:

Marina running out into the audience to give the woman a hug just makes the entire experience for me. 

I went to a Creation Con at Boston in the late 80s, probably the winter of 87-88.  Adam West was the special guest (and that's a whole other story), but also on the schedule was Marina Sirtis.  TNG had only been on the air a few months.  As a TOS die-hard, my attitude toward TNG was still somewhere between indifferent and resentful.   I got up and walked out halfway through Marina's time on stage.   Today, I'd pay to get a hug from her.

Picard has been kind of a mess. They probably should have had it just be a big ST:NG reunion show to begin with and saved Q for the very end to bring it all full circle. It could have been great. 

I will still watch, of course.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Picard has been kind of a mess. They probably should have had it just be a big ST:NG reunion show to begin with and saved Q for the very end to bring it all full circle. It could have been great. 

I will still watch, of course.  

Nothing about the story lines of the past two seasons has felt like Star Trek.  It had a distinctive Discovery "new Trek" taint.   So far the teaser preview captures the Star Trek flavor better than anything in the last 20 or however many episodes of Picard, not because the TNG crew has returned but because the story looks actually interesting.   Well, except for Brent Spiner playing a villain again.   Because all that does is remind everybody that there's an empty seat at the poker table.

P.S.  Beverly's hair, wtf?

Edited by millennium
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Star Trek: Picard Props Being Sold at Auction

They are auctioning off more than 300 original costumes, props, set decorations, and behind-the-scenes memorabilia from Star Trek: Picard. The bidding begins at 12 p.m. ET/9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, November 15th, and bidding ends on Tuesday, November 29th at 12 p.m. ET/9 a.m. PT. Registration is open now at the Propstore website.

Romulan Black Ops Static Open Sneak Attack Disruptor

e7a2a1ad-s.jpg

Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) Light-Up Phaser Rifle

bdd8d0e8-s.jpg

Confederation Star Corps Second Lieutenant Combadge

4b209695-s.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

That’s awful. She was so brilliant in taking over as the Borg Queen and she must have filmed all of this show while sick. I had absolutely no idea.

Just an incredible performance made even more amazing by this realisation.

What a loss and what a tragedy.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Region-free trailer (or at least it works in Canada, your jurisdiction may vary):

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the main fault of season 2 was that it had too many ideas packed into too small of a space. So far from this we know we've got the TNG crew, Moriarty, Lore and some new villains including Amanda Plummer (whom I kind of hope says "any of you Starfleet pricks move..."). There's also something going on with the young human-looking dude who has a connection to Picard. Let's hope this is all a little less chaotic than last season where all the bouncing between plots lessened them all.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
26 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Posting this for the title alone:

Don’t watch ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season three, it’ll only encourage them

Heading says "The following article contains spoilers for earlier Star Trek properties but doesn’t reveal specific spoilers about Star Trek: Picard season three" 

Thank you for that one - the writer not only summed up how I feel about Picard but that opening is what I feel about modern Star Wars too. 

• Like 2

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard
star-trek-picard-season-3-patrick-stewar
Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
star-trek-picard-season-3-jonathan-frake
Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi
star-trek-picard-season-3-marina-sirtis.
Michael Dorn as Worf 
star-trek-picard-season-3-michael-dorn.j
Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher
star-trek-picard-season-3-gates-mcfadden
LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge
star-trek-picard-season-3-levar-burton-1
Ashlei Sharpe-Chestnut as Ensign Sidney La Forge, Geordi La Forge's daughter 

Mica Burton as Ensign Alandra La Forge, Geordi La Forge's daughter (LeVar Burton's real life daughter)

Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine
star-trek-picard-season-3-jeri-ryan.jpeg
Michelle Hurd as Raffi
star-trek-picard-season-3-michelle-hurd.
Amanda Plummer as Vadic
star-trek-picard-season-3-amanda-plummer
Todd Stashwick as Captain Liam Shaw
star-trek-picard-season-3-todd-stashwick
Ed Speleers as ***SPOILER ALERT***
star-trek-picard-season-3-ed-speleers-1.
Brent Spiner as Lore, Data's evil twin brother
star-trek-picard-season-3-brent-spiner-1

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The View set turns into 10 Forward and Whoopi slings prune juice while she hosts a reunion with Stewart, Frakes, McFadden, and Dorn.  For all of Whoopi's recent fauxpaux, it's still heartwarming to see how much being part of TNG meant to her.

• Love 4

There have been interesting interviews about each episode with showrunner Terry Matalas on Collider, The one on Episode three indicates that they knew Ed Speleers was too old for Jack Crusher but they didn't care:

Did you feel a certain degree of pressure to fill in those blanks while working out that timeline between the last time we saw them and the creation of Jack?

MATALAS: We did, right? So, it comes up all the time. Does Jack’s age work how old Ed Speleers is? No. Ed Speleers is an amazing actor, and we all should look as good as Ed Speleers does. When we were in our 20s, we wish we looked as good as it does now. So we wanted Ed Speleers. The age doesn't work right. Does it make perfect sense exactly when she would have left the Enterprise 20-something years…? Did she go and work for Starfleet Medical from a deleted scene in [Star Trek: Nemesis]? It was a deleted scene. So we have to decide that that didn't exist, right?

I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy for worrying about time continuity.

• Like 3
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

There have been interesting interviews about each episode with showrunner Terry Matalas on Collider, The one on Episode three indicates that they knew Ed Speleers was too old for Jack Crusher but they didn't care:

I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy for worrying about time continuity.

Then I am too....it's also standard procedure for the JJ adjacent folks.

Edited by ML89
  • Like 2

Some sites have Episode 5 title: Imposters

Description:

Caught by Starfleet and facing court martial, paranoia grows as Picard struggles to uncover whether a prodigal crewman from his past has returned as an ally or an enemy hellbent on destroying them all.