Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Meet the Slaton Sisters

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I had a high school friend who drank cokes all day long.  She recently passed away after her second leg amputation due to diabetes. 

I have type I diabetes (which I jokingly refer to as "not fat" diabetes).  

I'm always so sad to hear about people dying from complications.  

I'm super surprised that Amy isn't on insulin.  I get that the soda is diet, but the morning dessert surely isn't.  Neither are the three desserts they made for dinner.  

A case of soda a day just sounds expensive, but maybe they take their recycling in when they get weighed.  

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, RealReality said:

A case of soda a day just sounds expensive, but maybe they take their recycling in when they get weighed.  

Damn! 😄

I think I will stick with this show. Where some see awful people, I see desperate people.  And that can be hard to witness, but it also opens the door to somebody drastically altering the path they're on, which of course I can root for.  

Some of the contestants on these shows are the result of generations of poverty, lack of education, and child abuse. These sisters kind of exemplify that. Finding the wherewithal to reverse the behavior and norms of a lifetime and completely reinvent yourself is a pretty amazing feat. From previews (granted, often deceptive) it appears that one is going to fight even if it means breaking the co-dependency. That's pretty powerful.

On a minor note, while it was scary to get the sister out of the house to go to lunch... it didn't appear like it was that big an ordeal at all.  11 years without leaving the house, and she just walks to the car and shimmies in (albeit with difficulty) and walks into the restaurant? If I were the sis/husband I'd be pretty annoyed that we'd been waiting on her hand and foot.

As far as the forehead fat goes, if you've seen plastic surgery victims, people who overdo liposuction have fat expand in the damndest places because the fat has to be stored in the places there are still fat cells. And if you suck them out of the belly/butt/thighs... they'll find somewhere else to go. Not that she had liposuction as a child, but maybe she just naturally had more fat cells in her face for some reason and they got maximized as she got heavier.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 13
On 1/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, kassa said:

As far as the forehead fat goes, if you've seen plastic surgery victims, people who overdo liposuction have fat expand in the damndest places because the fat has to be stored in the places there are still fat cells. And if you suck them out of the belly/butt/thighs... they'll find somewhere else to go. Not that she had liposuction as a child, but maybe she just naturally had more fat cells in her face for some reason and they got maximized as she got heavier.

It could be a lipoma

• Love 2

I managed to sort of watch the premiere, and all it reminded me of is the Honey Boo Boo family shows, with the burping, and yelling, and terrible food.         I don't think I can make it through another hour of this, I don't think either sister will actually try to lose weight.    With their attitude, and rotten eating pattern, I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit 1,000 lbs. each.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

I am *not* commenting on the sisters' sources of income. I do want to mention that Amy said in this episode, that she has some kind of problem with her eyes and is "legally blind" and considered disabled and unable to work. After she said that, I watched the episode with that in mind. She seemed to navigate her everyday life - including the grocery store - with no obvious difficulties. She said she ordered exercise equipment for Tammy online, and we saw them opening that box. She cooked stuff (disgusting stuff, but still), served meals, and along with Tammy made videos. 

She did appear to have a "lazy eye" condition. I can't remember if she was shown driving in the episode; if so then she's a big liar because I can't believe anyone who is "legally blind" could be legally (or actually) driving.

• Love 6

Omg thanks guys. As soon as I finished watching I had to come here. Pretty much all my reactions you guys covered! That forehead is beyond distracting! There is no way that’s fat.

I am mad at myself for letting weight creep up on me (put on 25 pounds over 6 years😡). I run 3 miles 3-4 days a week and count calories but here I am again! My point is it’s my fault - just like it’s their fault.

I agree the mother has no room to talk - she is morbidly obese also. No mention of any of the other siblings? I’ll bet you dollars to doughnuts (boy that’s a poor choice of words!) they are all obese too. 

Spoiler

I saw an article that says the sisters now live apart and Tammi lives with her boyfriend 😳

Edited by Giant Misfit
spoiler tags added
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

This show is just so hard to watch. I can’t imagine not being able to wipe my own butt after a poop (unless of severe injury or illness.)

The Doctor is a looker but I prefer Dr. Now’s personality and way of addressing patients more. 

• Love 4

Okay, if Amy hasn't been driving I'll cut her some slack on her "legal blindness" claim. She may indeed be so vision-impaired as to not be employable, though she's figured out how to cope with her everyday life with her impaired sight.

IIRC these sisters were two of four or five siblings. I wonder if their closeness has to do with their age, and with childhood difficulties. Tammy had that bulging forehead, and Amy seems to have a "lazy eye" along with serious vision impairment. Their comments about their childhood make me think they were ridiculed and bullied. They said their grandmother was the only one who treated them kindly, and she died when they were young. 

It's no "excuse" (though may be part of their reasons) to eat yourself into morbid obesity, but it sounds like a bleak and hard life for them as kids, and I am sorry for them about that.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

I am semi watching the supersize version of this (while making apple pies for the freezer....it's amazing that I don't weigh 600 lbs!) 😔

I know I'm a lot older than y'all (early 60s)👵...but does anyone remember the old Andy Griffith Show. Amy's husband reminds me of a character named Ernest T. Bass! 😂

Also, embarrassed as I am, when I was a child I did spend one summer eating peanut butter and miracle whip sandwiches. I don't know why. I think it was something I saw on tv?.... maybe? I would NEVER try it now, but it was pretty tasty back then. 😳

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I am semi watching the supersize version of this (while making apple pies for the freezer....it's amazing that I don't weigh 600 lbs!) 😔

I know I'm a lot older than y'all (early 60s)👵...but does anyone remember the old Andy Griffith Show. Amy's husband reminds me of a character named Ernest T. Bass! 😂

Also, embarrassed as I am, when I was a child I did spend one summer eating peanut butter and miracle whip sandwiches. I don't know why. I think it was something I saw on tv?.... maybe? I would NEVER try it now, but it was pretty tasty back then. 😳

Thanks for the info on the sandwiches.  It sounds like something Elvis would eat.....like one of those things that sounds gross but is maybe actually delicious....like sea salt and caramels, or Maple and bacon.....or bacon in nearly anything other than a lasagna. 

Personally my mind doesn't understand how the flavors go together......but I'm no chef! 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, TVWatcher12 said:

Omg thanks guys. As soon as I finished watching I had to come here. Pretty much all my reactions you guys covered! That forehead is beyond distracting! There is no way that’s fat.

My mother fell and hit her forehead once and it swelled up something fierce as/during/after the stitches were put in.  There's actually more space for expansion than you'd imagine!

• Useful 3
On 1/6/2020 at 2:05 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

Has anyone watched the supersize episode? I highly recommend it. It has recipes 😝 and a great "liar liar pants on fire" video chat with the doctor. 🤐

Is that another TLC obesity show? 

I can't even imagine how difficult it would be, weighing over 300 lbs (or even a duece and a quarter) and having such a long way to go to see any progress. 

I hope these folks take this opportunity (of being on a weight loss show) seriously and try to lose weight. However, I'm still coming here to snark!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Is that another TLC obesity show? 

I can't even imagine how difficult it would be, weighing over 300 lbs (or even a duece and a quarter) and having such a long way to go to see any progress. 

I hope these folks take this opportunity (of being on a weight loss show) seriously and try to lose weight. However, I'm still coming here to snark!

I watched the supersize version of the 1000 lb. Sisters. And they had sloppy Joe helper. Yuuuccckkkyyyy. But they showed how to make it. And the video with the doctor was a pack of lies. "I only eat once a day" The problem was she didn't mention it was ALL day everyday, but just "one" meal. 😑

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I watched the supersize version of the 1000 lb. Sisters. And they had sloppy Joe helper. Yuuuccckkkyyyy. But they showed how to make it. And the video with the doctor was a pack of lies. "I only eat once a day" The problem was she didn't mention it was ALL day everyday, but just "one" meal. 😑

A sensible breakfast of leftover dessert and a sodie.  

• LOL 6
On 12/28/2019 at 9:27 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

So if she does lose weight and needs skin removed she has it removed from her forehead? It seems like it would sag a good bit. I bet that would be an odd one for the Dr.

Do you think the loose skin would hang down over her eyes like an English Bulldog? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 1/8/2020 at 12:52 AM, RealReality said:

A sensible breakfast of leftover dessert and a sodie.  

I'd say the very fact that leftovers can exist in their household is astonishing, especially if it is dessert that is somehow not consumed in its entirety all at once...

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 1/2/2020 at 11:43 PM, RealReality said:

Oh THATS what that was!  I thought it was mayo, but I didn't remember anyone saying that it was a peanut butter and mayo sandwich.  That sounds like something Elvis ate.  

I find their food choices mystifying.  But the other day we went to a good foodie hipster spot and they had peanut butter pie on the menu.  Tried it, it's not bad but it's wayyyyyyyyyy too sweet to have any more than a couple of bites.  

It is a generational thing.  My late mom (born in '39) had a guilty pleasure that grossed me out.  Mayo/peanut butter/lettuce on white bread.  I clearly thought she was nuts but I then saw it on a menu and they named it Mom's Sandwich.  The owner's mom also used to eat it.  I have also seen mayo on jello (shudder).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

It is a generational thing.  My late mom (born in '39) had a guilty pleasure that grossed me out.  Mayo/peanut butter/lettuce on white bread.  I clearly thought she was nuts but I then saw it on a menu and they named it Mom's Sandwich.  The owner's mom also used to eat it.  I have also seen mayo on jello (shudder).

I once had a co worker who would put mayo on everything. Literally. Pizza, eggs, pie, etc. Grossed everyone out. He would get those little packages of mayo from the fast food restaurant and carry them with. He was my parents’ age. (I’m 41.)

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Celeca said:

I once had a co worker who would put mayo on everything. Literally. Pizza, eggs, pie, etc. Grossed everyone out. He would get those little packages of mayo from the fast food restaurant and carry them with. He was my parents’ age. (I’m 41.)

I once went on a date with a German guy who put mayo on his salad.  I'm sure it made sense, but I was shook. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Celeca said:

Maybe it was like Ranch dressing is now? I've seen WAY too many people dip pizza in Ranch. 😝

• Love 1
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

I once went on a date with a German guy who put mayo on his salad.  I'm sure it made sense, but I was shook. 

I was raised in a very German influenced town. Fries were served with mayo. You had to ask for ketsup. 😊 I still occasionally indulge. But I only eat 3 fries if I make them for my hubby. Literally 3 perfect fries. 😃

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I was raised in a very German influenced town. Fries were served with mayo. You had to ask for ketsup. 😊 I still occasionally indulge. But I only eat 3 fries if I make them for my hubby. Literally 3 perfect fries. 😃

My husband is from Holland where mayo is always on fries. I can't eat them any other way now.

• Love 1

Hi Everyone --- let's keep the episode threads focused on the gross delectable delights consumed by the Sisters. Please feel free to share your personal food anecdotes over in the Small Talk thread. Thanks!

On 1/6/2020 at 7:25 AM, Jeeves said:

Okay, if Amy hasn't been driving I'll cut her some slack on her "legal blindness" claim. She may indeed be so vision-impaired as to not be employable, though she's figured out how to cope with her everyday life with her impaired sight.

IIRC these sisters were two of four or five siblings. I wonder if their closeness has to do with their age, and with childhood difficulties. Tammy had that bulging forehead, and Amy seems to have a "lazy eye" along with serious vision impairment. Their comments about their childhood make me think they were ridiculed and bullied. They said their grandmother was the only one who treated them kindly, and she died when they were young. 

It's no "excuse" (though may be part of their reasons) to eat yourself into morbid obesity, but it sounds like a bleak and hard life for them as kids, and I am sorry for them about that.

Yes. Amy's eyes seem to wander off on their own frequently.  Maybe trying to escape the hell house and disgusting sister.

My friend has been look legally blind for years.  He inherited glaucoma from his mother who had it in later life.  It showed up in his 30s to now--he is 70 yrs old. No wandering eyes though.  Oh, he worked as hotel manager until he was 60... doing maintenance, finances online, and supervising employees. Then he wad his HOA president and brought his over 55 community into the computer age,  plus saved them alot of $ with his savvy business skills. 

He's had surgeries and procedures and continues to be checked every 6 months. They said it was getting worse on his last visit  a month ago. 

He stopped driving in his mid 40's because his peripheral  vision had deteriorated so much. Otherwise, he uses the computer extensively. Reads books and mags, menus, etc., and lives alone ...cooking for himself, walks the flat circumference path at the rec center, etc. He takes the bus if no one is available drive him wherever. 

He avoids walking outside because his depth perception is so limited that many times he misses curbs or rises in sidewalks. He definitely cannot see at night in the semi-dark. 

So, legal blindness is figured on a high tech  physical exam and level-of function basis. With new tech Amy wouldn't be able to fake it. But she could work at any number of jobs. At least to get her out of the house and interact with normals. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

Before I smartened up and lost 300 lbs in two years (thanks to sleeve gastrectomy 11/2016 and that's why I am Formerly Heavy J) I used to do a lot of cooking.  And I was really good.  I must say the idea of putting bacon in a lasagna does intrigue me.  It would have to be pancetta and I would sautee it with the sausage.  Might want to use a cream sauce instead of a tomato sauce.  Sure isn't the worst cooking idea I've heard from this or the other show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

It's a dark gloomy day, so I decided to make it worst and re watch this. Them telling the doctor they only eat one meal a day. Lawdy....so leftover dessert and so die for breakfast is not a meal?

Appetizer. 

• LOL 5
On 1/27/2020 at 8:12 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

Them telling the doctor they only eat one meal a day.

If you don't take any breaks and just keep eating all day long, it's technically still one meal!

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 8

I think I'm in the minority (and/or desperately starved for entertainment), but I got a giggle at how the sisters cracked each other up. I was laughing along with them at their own one-liners. I think I've watched too much "My 600lb Life" with the flat, scripted delivery and this was a mild treat. The burping I could definitely do without, however.

I agree with everyone else about the fat/lipoma pad on Tammmi's forehead ... it's a dang car crash and I cannot stop looking at it.

And their mother went from being a pretty woman to letting her bitch insides catch up with her outsides. Karma.

• Love 3
On 1/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, Jeeves said:

I can't believe anyone who is "legally blind" could be legally (or actually) driving.

I had a friend who was "legally blind" and was still allowed to drive. But her eyeglasses were thick and strong correctional lenses.

• Like 1

I started watching this & couldn't find this forum no matter what. I finally Googled the show & found it that way, but I'm up to episode 6. Anyway, these 2 women are trainwrecks & I can't stop watching. 

• Love 1