Type keyword(s) to search

The Circle - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Apparently the UK has had a bunch of seasons squeezed in (including a Celebrity one). I'm surprised the US one took so long to be back, considering this show is probably a thousand times easier to produce in a Pandemic than most TV. 

• Love 6

The UK had a 6-episode celebrity season earlier this month, and is currently airing their season 3 now (6 nights per week). 

I believe all editions of the Circle film in the same building, and the US edition premieres almost immediately after the current UK season ends. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I already hate Jack/Emily.

OMG Jack/Emily is annoying the heck out of me! I honestly am not sure Jack has ever met a woman. In ep 3 or so, after a "chat" with one of the women, Jack/Emily said, about himself, "Hmmm that's maybe the best conversation I ever had with a girl." That tells me all I need to know about Jack. He is very young so I will cut him a very very tiny bit of slack.

I don't know this Chloe person, apparently she was on another Netflix reality show. Tell me can she be this dumb? Is it an act? She  doesn't think there's ever been a war between the US and England?!!? Well, sure, I mean it was a tiny war, of no consequence, and she's no reason to have heard of it. It was over almost before it started. I'm sure they don't even mention it in schools in England. Also she was on the losing side and it happened more than 20 years ago so ...

So far this looks like a decent bunch. I really liked Bryant. He was lovely and if this was all just his attempt to get more followers for his breathing videos then good for him. He made a good show and I wish he'd stayed.

What is this Lance Bass nonsense? I'm not in the mood for this.

• Love 6

I watched the first one and I already hate Bryant's... everything. I'm surprised more of them don't find him annoying, although he did wind up in last place, so maybe they do and they're just not saying so. Terilisha is fun and I can believe that her students love her! Lee is adorable, but his lack of knowledge of current slang is gonna bite him in the ass. Savannah seems pretty nice; she's kind of this season's Sammie for me, so far. Chloe is way too much. I was amused that nobody even questioned whether or not she was a catfish. Jack/"Emily" is awful and I hope he doesn't last too long.

It's always fun when the catfishes almost immediately feel bad for lying. I like "Trevor," and it's nice that she wants to bond with the other girls instead of making enemies.

I laughed when half of them had no idea what "the 411" meant, although it made me feel old!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I finished the other three episodes. Lee/"River" is my favorite. I love that he cries at the drop of a hat. I also love that pretty much nobody else cares about Lance Bass while he's over in his corner fangirling and trying to play it cool. I like Courtney, too; he so unabashedly loves the drama, and it's fun. Interested to see what this Inner Circle thing is.

I liked Savannah and Terilisha at the start, but they really messed it up with the drama so early on. It seemed mostly like a misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion. Savannah said some more stuff about it here that's pretty interesting. They shouldn't have been surprised to drop from the top two spots to the bottom two, though. It's dangerous to be at the top because you make enemies based on who you boot and you put a target on your own back just by being a perceived winner. I think Leesa/"Trevor" is in the safest spot with a solid third.

Chloe's really not as dumb as she first appeared, huh? She's good at reading people. "Emily" wasn't fooling her one bit with the wishy-washy responses and the attempts to have Chloe make all the decisions, and Chloe didn't let herself be played by either Savannah or Terilisha. I still don't like her, but she was more tolerable in the last couple eps when she toned down the energy. Oh no, is she going to be this season's Joey where I go in thinking she's loud and annoying and basic and she ends up winning me over?

Jack/"Emily" is still at the bottom of my list. He really needs to stop calling women bitches. Mostly he's just boring, though. He keeps talking about getting in the middle of things, but so far he hasn't made any moves.

Still too early to decide on "Lance Bass," but Lisa seems fun. She's likely to accidentally out herself as a catfish, though.

• Love 10

Chloe is very annoying for my taste, she’s way too loud, her accent is fake and over done,constantly changes, from one scene to the next,the clueless dumb girl act isn’t cute.

Has she really never heard of The American Revolution? The war of 1812? 

I did Like Savannah at first,but by the end, Her smug & over cocky attitude changed that. Happy she left.

I knew when they made that girl group that it wouldn’t last, Based on many years of watching Big Brother. The “Girl power” groups are always the one to fall apart first. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Has she really never heard of The American Revolution? The war of 1812? 

She's also never heard of NSYNC, she has a very wide ranging ignorance.

• LOL 8
43 minutes ago, docmatt said:

She's also never heard of NSYNC, she has a very wide ranging ignorance.

I can kinda see why she doesn’t know who they are considering she was born in 2000-2001.  By time she was 5 the NSYNC/Backstreet boys craze was dead.

I have cousins born in that time, and they only know of that music because of meme’s.

• Love 2

It never fails to crack me up whenever something pops up on their screens and they're all like, "OH MY GAWWWWWWWWWWWD NO WAY NOW WHAT??!??!!?!?"  I'm sure they've all been told to bring the drama and high energy but sometimes they're so loud, I wonder how they aren't being overheard by anyone else in the building, lol.

And I absolutely love to see how each apartment is decorated.  The Big Brother interior design department could take lots of tips from The Circle.

• Love 3

I like Chloe, and I usually can't stand this type of act.  I think the whole bit with Chloe is probably fake or staged. 

The Bryant and Lee meeting was so wholesome and sweet! I love how Bryant immediately accepted Lee.

• Love 4

I like Lee/River and Courtney. Chloe is loud and annoying, but I don't mind her. She seems to have done a good job establishing relationships with everyone. I would try to form some kind connection with everybody by day 2 or 3, but at both eliminations, there were people that apparently hadn't chatted yet.

I knew #GirlGang wouldn't last, but the drama escalated quickly. Saving Trevor instead of Chloe after telling the girls she didn't trust him made Savannah look sketchy and Terilisha viewed every little thing she said after that through that lens.

Jack/Emily is the only one I really dislike. I'm sure the producers encouraged it, but it was dumb for Lisa to play as Lance Bass. Even if people know it is a catfish, they won't vote to give her $100,000.

Edited by Evie
  • Love 2

Chloe is street smart and game smart.  I saw her on ‘Too Hot to Handle’ (thank you pandemic?).  She annoyed me at first for both but she’s an incredible people reader and IMO plays dumb for the camera.  I think she can play the game especially since she has a bead on Emily/Jack.  

• Love 5

I love Lee/River, Courtney, and Chloe. What did Chloe call them in that group chat? The Cardashians? I didn't understand it lol but I hope those 3 really do align and go far.

I liked Savannah at first but she played so badly and got real annoying so I was glad she went over Terilisha, whom I still like for now. I was hoping they'd both stay though because I want drama.

I like Trevor/whatever her real name is at first but I liked her less and less with each ep. I think she'll probably get to the finale but not win. She's basically a non-entity really.

I don't mind Emily/Jack as much now as I did at first. He has some funny lines/moments. He's so bad at the game though. He's so noncommittal and meek. I can relate because I'd probably be that way too lol.

I'm very interested to see what the Inner Circle is about.

Netflix put a couple vids on youtube recently:

• Love 2

I loved Bryant.  That’s the kiss of death for reality show peeps lol.   He was so chill but I feel  he was not always that way and was interested in learning  what lead him to this vibe.  So glad he went to visit River/Lee.  Totally buy Lee taking a breathing class. 
   Need to turn down the volume whenever Chloe comes on she is exhausting and it seems she gets by a lot on her looks.  This game may be a challenge for her.  Can’t decide if she thinks playing dumb is cute or is she just trying to be funny.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, tribeca said:

[Bryant] was so chill but I feel  he was not always that way and was interested in learning  what lead him to this vibe.  

He told Lee he had a 'slutty phase' and was addicted to stimulants. I would have liked to have learned more about his past too but I'm not sure he ever would have delved into it anyway tbh.

This video is a whole lotta nothing but just in case anyone wants to watch it:

• Love 2

I loved this second batch of episodes so much! The new people are fun (Khat immediately pegging "Emily" as a dude based solely off "here for a good time and hopefully a long time" was fantastic, as was her tricking "Lance") and it's cool to see that this season, the originals aren't just rising to the top of the ratings every time. There's a lot more strategy happening, too, and I'm glad to see my three faves (Lee/"River", Courtney, and yes, Chloe) are still in it -- and working together to root out the catfish! Courtney especially has been killing it with the strategy; he was so smart to make the Joker sound like Emily.

Speaking of Emily, I laughed my ass off at the mannequin challenge. I feel like most guys could do better than that, although I wouldn't expect them to be able to name five makeup brands (I'm a woman who doesn't wear makeup often and I could name five, but they'd vary so wildly in price and quality that anyone who actually knows makeup would be skeptical). He's my least favorite player, but I actually felt bad for him when he started to cry.

I like that everyone basically has the attitude of, "Well, I may not actually be flirting with [preferred gender], but I'm gonna go with it anyway." Chloe's "flirt with all the guys and hope one of them is actually a guy" strategy is funny.

Lisa and Jack's new profile looks like it's going to be so much fun -- the preview revealed that they made him gay, an improv comic, and both a psychic and a Santa. Lisa's cackle when she saw the profile pic was so great. I'm liking the new twists this season!

• Love 10

Originally, I didn't love the cast as much as I did season 1, but the twists and the scheming are making this one so much fun! Jack/Emily is actually my favorite, I died at him hiding in cabinets and shrinking into the floor during his makeup critique, so I'm really glad he gets to stick around for another chance. I wish he was paired with someone else more entertaining though. I assume both he and Lisa will still have to make farewell videos for the rest of the cast? I bet everyone will relax a little knowing they supposedly got rid of two catfish and won't suspect an old man as being a new one. So much fun.

Really liking everybody left honestly (aside from Lisa who has been kind of meh). I couldn't stand Savannah and was so glad she got sent packing. Once you get past Chloe's screaming and antics, she's a great game player. I also like Courtney despite him coming for some of my other faves. River/Lee is just so cute, I wonder how he'll react to having a (fake) fellow older gay man in the Circle? So much LGBTQ rep this year which is very cool. I actually like how Trevor is playing the game, she's very believable but is still finding ways to bond with the girls. Khat and Mitchell were both welcome new additions. Great stuff, can't believe I binged all four new episodes this morning and now have to wait another week for more. #WhyAmILikeThis

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, jade.black said:

Great stuff, can't believe I binged all four new episodes this morning and now have to wait another week for more. #WhyAmILikeThis

Me too! I tried to stop but in the end I watched them all. And it's still Wednesday. A week to go. 😢

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jade.black said:

Great stuff, can't believe I binged all four new episodes this morning and now have to wait another week for more. #WhyAmILikeThis

3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Me too! I tried to stop but in the end I watched them all. And it's still Wednesday. A week to go. 😢

Ugh, same! I watched the first week's eps over a few days but I couldn't stop myself with this week's. This show is just so fun! Does anyone know if this season is only 12 eps like last season? That means next week is it. I don't want it to end!

Lisa had a makeup bag on her sink that said 'Stay Sexy Don't Get Murdered' and I was howling. Like what lol?!

I'm still loving Chloe, Courtney, and Lee/River and I'm glad they're getting closer. I still don't get the Cardashians name at all though. Someone please explain that to me!

I liked Deleesa (sp?)/Trevor a lot more in these eps than last week's. Ditto for Jack/Emily actually. 

I'm already in love with Khat. She's just fantastic. I like Mitchell, too. And he's clearly the better looking brother. Sorry, Ed!

I'm loving the new twist of Jack and Lisa staying to play a new catfish. That should be fun!

9 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Lisa and Jack's new profile looks like it's going to be so much fun -- the preview revealed that they made him gay, an improv comic, and both a psychic and a Santa.

Wait, where was the preview? Do they have them after the last ep? Last week, I saw one for this week on youtube but I don't see one for next week on there.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I still don't get the Cardashians name at all though. Someone please explain that to me!

Well, it won't be me because I don't have one clue. It was driving me crazy! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jade.black said:

I tell myself I have to watch them all because otherwise I'll likely read a spoiler this week and then I'll be so crushed because spoilers for a show like this really take away from a lot of the fun.

I actually felt bad for Jack/Emily. It felt like a production set-up. I mean, I don't actually like Jack but that left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe production hates him.

Did any of them actually believe that was actually Lance Bass?

Love Khat & Deleesa/Trevor. Heck I kind of like everybody. I even like Chloe now. I think she may actually be quite confused about arithmetic and history but she seems to read people pretty well and she shows evidence of a good heart. And I think she's only 21. Is that true?

This is honestly a fun show. I've watched all 3 UK seasons and both US seasons and it's so interesting how the show has evolved. Editing seems to focus more on strategy. I wish more countries would do Circle seasons. Be fun to see an Australian version.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

wish more countries would do Circle seasons. Be fun to see an Australian version.

I see Netflix has The Circle Brazil and The Circle France. Has anyone here seen them? 

49 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I had assumed it was because all their names start with C,  like the Kardashians with the K. But River's name does not.

Lisa was terrible player but I don't get how Khat thought that fake jacket story was such a gotcha. A super famous touring musician would no way remember some random jacket he wore 15+ years ago. He probably wouldn't have even remembered that particular show and venue.

Lee seems to be forgetting he made River straight.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 7

I wish Netflix had the UK version. I'd love to see that. 

I love Chloe. I didn't think I would at the beginning but there is something oddly sweet and endearing about her. She and "River" are my top two. I quite like "Trevor" and Khat. I enjoy looking at Mitchell very much. ;)

The only one I didn't like was "Emily". Something about him bugged. He came across a bit smug. It will be interesting to see how he and Lisa do playing the old guy. I liked Lisa so I'm glad she's staying a bit longer. 

Courtney is hit or miss with me. Now that he's climbed back out of Savannah's ass he's more tolerable but he can be a bit much. His main redeeming quality for me is that my top two like him. 

I just binged the second 4 and am anxiously awaiting next Wednesday. This show is my crack.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Megan said:

He did?? Oops. 

38 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I wish Netflix had the UK version. I'd love to see that. 

Me too! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wait, where was the preview? Do they have them after the last ep? Last week, I saw one for this week on youtube but I don't see one for next week on there.

Yep, it autoplays after the last ep of each batch!

2 hours ago, Megan said:

River has been gay from the start (his profile says "Proud of my rainbow life"). The real guy in the pictures is straight, though, as Lee told Bryant when Bryant came to see him.

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Lisa was terrible player but I don't get how Khat thought that fake jacket story was such a gotcha. A super famous touring musician would no way remember some random jacket he wore 15+ years ago. He probably wouldn't have even remembered that particular show and venue.

The funniest thing was that Lisa didn't remember the jacket, either! She should have just said that; it would have been more believable whether the jacket had existed or not. She keeps ignoring her first thoughts/instincts when those have been better almost every time.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

River has been gay from the start (his profile says "Proud of my rainbow life"). The real guy in the pictures is straight, though, as Lee told Bryant when Bryant came to see him.

The funniest thing was that Lisa didn't remember the jacket, either! She should have just said that; it would have been more believable whether the jacket had existed or not. She keeps ignoring her first thoughts/instincts when those have been better almost every time.

You're right, I went back and watched his opening.. I could have sworn! that Lee specifically made a comment about River being straight, and I thought his real life was encroaching. But the man whose pictures he is using is a straight man and I wasn't paying close enough attention.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I see Netflix has The Circle Brazil and The Circle France. Has anyone here seen them? 

I watched The Circle France last week. It was excellent! Especially the finale. I highly recommend it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Did Chloe really sweep the kitchen floor crumbs under a rug? That’s something a child would do. Her house must be a breeding ground for ants and other bugs. 

Also, stop screeching in every fucking scene.  She’s very likable & entertaining, but not everything needs to be yelled. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, zibnchy said:

And I think [Chloe]'s only 21. Is that true?

She's 22 now but yea she was 21 when this was filming.

13 hours ago, Megan said:

I had assumed it was because all their names start with C,  like the Kardashians with the K. But River's name does not.

Yea, that's why I don't get it since River doesn't start with a C. I need this explained, dammit!

• Love 1

I agree Chloe's behavior can seem super loud and annoying. Taran, who likes her, says he thinks she's doing it mainly because she's aware people sitting quietly in their rooms is terrible TV, and she's acting extremely OTT to give viewers something to watch and laugh at. He could be right. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

She's 22 now but yea she was 21 when this was filming.

Yea, that's why I don't get it since River doesn't start with a C. I need this explained, dammit!

It must just be the names Chloe and Courtney and we're thinking more about than they did!

Edited by Megan
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Melina22 said:

The international versions are fantastic.  It's really interesting to see how the different cultures handle everything.  It's also not a ton of subtitles to read.  I wanted more foreign editions.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Also, stop screeching in every fucking scene.  She’s very likable & entertaining, but not everything needs to be yelled. 

They all do it. It is really the only part of the show I don't like but...

8 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Taran, who likes her, says he thinks she's doing it mainly because she's aware people sitting quietly in their rooms is terrible TV, and she's acting extremely OTT to give viewers something to watch and laugh at. He could be right. 

I'm pretty sure they are all over acting because, yeah, watching some on side quietly playing cards or reading messages off a TV monitor isn't super exciting. 

• Love 2
On 4/21/2021 at 4:37 PM, Melina22 said:

I think there are two Kardashians named Khloe and Kourtney. So my guess is at some point, someone was like, "OMG We're the Kardashians but with Cs" or something along those lines. Best guess anyway. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I assumed it was just because there are actual Kardashians named Khloe and Kourtney.  I like everyone and like to see their strategies evolve. Looking forward to more!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

I think there are two Kardashians named Khloe and Kourtney. So my guess is at some point, someone was like, "OMG We're the Kardashians but with Cs" or something along those lines. Best guess anyway. 

Yes, but how the fuck does River fit into it lol?

• LOL 4

I think I liked Season 1's contestants more but this season is more exciting and unpredictable. 

I'm liking Courtney a bit less because of all the "snake" talk, but he played the Joker twist well. Lee/River and Chloe have good instincts. Lee/River pegged both "Trevor" and "Emily" as catfish and Chloe picked up on "Trevor" coming across as a bit feminine as well. 

I really like Khat and Mitchell is a much better player than his mom and brother. 

I felt for Jack when he was crying after the mannequin challenge. That challenge did seem set up to out catfishes. "Trevor's" was too good and "Emily's" was horrifyingly bad. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, meatball77 said:

The international versions are fantastic.  It's really interesting to see how the different cultures handle everything.  It's also not a ton of subtitles to read.  I wanted more foreign editions.

I agree. I've enjoyed every version. Except UK Celebrity. That was a snooze. 

• Love 1