Type keyword(s) to search

GhostBusters: Afterlife (2020)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

They had me with the gunner seat. I loved that bit from the Ecto-1 toy(although it was on the roof). The tone threw me off. I guess treating the original property with such reverence is more the way to fanboys hearts, although this tweet made me laugh:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Girl with glasses looks like a dead ringer for Annie Potts. 

Egon and Janinie finally hooked up?!

Looks good, they went much younger then I expected. I was thinking passing the torch to college students.

I like the addition of Paul Rudd as a sort of mentor roll for the kids. 

I think I saw a rather large Slimer in one scene

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Egon and Janinie finally hooked up?!

Looks good, they went much younger then I expected. I was thinking passing the torch to college students.

I like the addition of Paul Rudd as a sort of mentor roll for the kids. 

I think I saw a rather large Slimer in one scene

Paul Rudd looks like he will steal the show here. 

• Love 1

I like that this one has a real connection to the original -- something like that would have made the 2016 version so much better.  Say, if the women had been nieces or daughters or otherwise related to our original heroes.

But it might have been nice if the main kids in this one were girls. 

Still, I'm in.  Maybe not opening weekend in, but I'm sure I'll go see it.

• Love 5

My verdict: love it! While the 2016 reboot wasn't the best movie ever made, IMO it didn't deserve the gargantuan backlash it got, either.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I like that this one has a real connection to the original -- something like that would have made the 2016 version so much better.  Say, if the women had been nieces or daughters or otherwise related to our original heroes.

But it might have been nice if the main kids in this one were girls. 

In a perfect world, that would have been nice, but unfortunately there are way too many internet trolls who can't get over the 2016 version to even consider letting more than one, two or even three girls in it, at most, if at all. Makes me wish that if Viggo was in this version, he'd be played by Chris Hemsworth out of spite.

However, I like what I see in the trailer. When I saw the teaser, I predicted that I would see some of the old-school stuff & I was right.

• Love 6

The Movie was Bad thats all is has nothing to do with Trolls it was BAD BAD BAD .

Did you see the Comparison of some of the Jokes of the Gostbusters and the 2016 Movie ?

Its a Eyeopener ,the one is a good Movie the other is a Movie that Women look stupid....

5 hours ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

The Movie was Bad thats all is has nothing to do with Trolls it was BAD BAD BAD .

Did you see the Comparison of some of the Jokes of the Gostbusters and the 2016 Movie ?

Its a Eyeopener ,the one is a good Movie the other is a Movie that Women look stupid....

I respectfully disagree. Those who hate the 2016 version are entitled to their opinions, but IMO too many of them took it too far, to the points of comparing it to "raping" their childhoods, trivializing rape in the process, attacking the womens' looks and even briefly chasing co-star Leslie Jones off social media. Hating a movie is one thing; being hateful assholes about it is another.

Moving on, if this teaser trailer is any indication, then this reboot will be amazing. Having Jason Reitman, who's not only a great director in his own right, but the son of original Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman, involved increases the odds of greatness, hence making the story about Egon's family, seeing the gear, the Ecto 1 & Slimer again. I believe that it was smart on Reitman's part not to show new footage of the surviving original cast in the trailer since it's just a teaser & it's best not to ruin the surprises. Casting Finn Wolfhard as one of the Spenglers is brilliant because Stranger Things is one of the hottest shows on television & Wolfhard is becoming one of the hottest new stars in Hollywood, career-wise.

Speaking of hot, there's Paul Rudd. He hasn't aged a bit since Clueless.  What's his secret-Tru Blood?

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 13
On 12/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, VCRTracking said:

It's weird though seeing comments from people who insist that the 1984 movie wasn't a comedy. Like, what? They really think of it as a serious horror movie with some jokes!

I think Ghostbusters in interesting in that regard. It really does function very well as a horror-action film even beyond the comedy, the main plot is mostly played straight and builds real stakes for the characters which causes the viewer to invest in them. If you were to compare Ghostbusters to some of the MCU films, for example, the tone wouldn't feel out of place.

This is what sets it apart from the 2016 version IMO, which is a good comedy with a lot of funny people in it, but never really builds the serious elements and stakes in the main plot in the same way in spite of having a huge big budget CGI filled final fight scene at the end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, DollEyes said:

I respectfully disagree. Those who hate the 2016 version are entitled to their opinions, but IMO too many of them took it too far, to the points of comparing it to "raping" their childhoods, trivializing rape in the process, attacking the womens' looks and even briefly chasing co-star Leslie Jones off social media. Hating a movie is one thing; being hateful assholes about it is another.

People did the same thing to the Star Wars Prequels. George 'raped' my childhood. Many of the actors in that sage got hate that was brutal. All messed up and stupid. 

• Love 5
On 12/12/2019 at 4:13 AM, DollEyes said:

Moving on, if this teaser trailer is any indication, then this reboot will be amazing. Having Jason Reitman, who's not only a great director in his own right, but the son of original Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman, involved increases the odds of greatness, hence making the story about Egon's family, seeing the gear, the Ecto 1 & Slimer again. I believe that it was smart on Reitman's part not to show new footage of the surviving original cast in the trailer since it's just a teaser & it's best not to ruin the surprises. Casting Finn Wolfhard as one of the Spenglers is brilliant because Stranger Things is one of the hottest shows on television & Wolfhard is becoming one of the hottest new stars in Hollywood, career-wise.

Speaking of hot, there's Paul Rudd. He hasn't aged a bit since Clueless.  What's his secret-Tru Blood?

You could also add that Jacob Tremblay is doing that as well. I mean, a small cameo like scene in Dr. Sleep? Ingenious. And the recent film by Xavier Dolan? Sooner or later, those two actors are going to be powerhouses if they keep this up. None of the 80s icons like the Coreys, Molly Ringwald, The Brat Pack, or Soleil Moon Frey would have thought this up. Of course, social media plays a big role. As ironic as it is, Instagram and all the rest is the best way to keep yourself relevant at this point.

Okay, so as one of the only people who liked the Kristen Wig version. I feel like my opinion is not taken super seriously... but... this did not feel like a Ghostbusters movie.

It could have just been the trailer, but I'm not overwhelmed with excitement here. Paul Rudd is always great, but I'm just not sold. 

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Glory said:

Okay, so as one of the only people who liked the Kristen Wig version. I feel like my opinion is not taken super seriously... but... this did not feel like a Ghostbusters movie.

It could have just been the trailer, but I'm not overwhelmed with excitement here. Paul Rudd is always great, but I'm just not sold. 

You are not the only one.  To me the Ghostbusters movies are campy comedies that are slightly raunchy with ghosts thrown in.  It feels like this movie is playing it more straight and like a traditional horror movie instead of a comedy first.  I am intrigued by the premise of the movie, but struggle to see how this is going to play out with the tonal shift and be better than the 2016 version (since that is what all the fanboys want).  I also think they went too young with the next generation.  I think this movie is going to walk a difficult line of invoking nostalgia while wanting the audience to forget about the actual characters from the first two movies were written--Peter Venkman was a sleaze, Ray Stantz was a horndog who got a blowjob from a ghost, and Egon did some questionable things in the name of science.  I don't know if they can pull it off.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

You are not the only one.  To me the Ghostbusters movies are campy comedies that are slightly raunchy with ghosts thrown in.  It feels like this movie is playing it more straight and like a traditional horror movie instead of a comedy first.  I am intrigued by the premise of the movie, but struggle to see how this is going to play out with the tonal shift and be better than the 2016 version (since that is what all the fanboys want).  I also think they went too young with the next generation.  I think this movie is going to walk a difficult line of invoking nostalgia while wanting the audience to forget about the actual characters from the first two movies were written--Peter Venkman was a sleaze, Ray Stantz was a horndog who got a blowjob from a ghost, and Egon did some questionable things in the name of science.  I don't know if they can pull it off.

THANK YOU! Exactly! You are more more eloquent than me!

9 hours ago, Glory said:

I liked the 2016 movie, too. I like the actors in this, and might want to see it when it comes out, but I'm not sure. I was pissed at the nasty response a lot of people had to the 2016 version. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Anela said:

I liked the 2016 movie, too. I like the actors in this, and might want to see it when it comes out, but I'm not sure. I was pissed at the nasty response a lot of people had to the 2016 version. 

I didn't understand that, either. I liked the reboot from 2016, too. I also liked the 2017 Power Rangers reboot, but I heard that's not going to use the original actors from that movie. That's also being remade now. I didn't understand the hate and I liked some of the actors there. It is definitely a Hollywood tradition: make money or fail. It's sad, but that is how it works.

• Love 2

I liked the reboot as a popcorn comedy, but it wasn't nearly as funny as I hoped it would be (or thought it would be) with that cast. 

The trailer looks good but not at all funny. I guess there's no reason why a new Ghostbusters movie needs to be a comedy just because the original one was a legendary comedy. Maybe it's better to avoid the direct comparison.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, ShadowHunter said:

People did the same thing to the Star Wars Prequels. George 'raped' my childhood. Many of the actors in that sage got hate that was brutal. All messed up and stupid. 

While the reaction to the prequels is likely over the top, the difference is that they're at least responding to something they had seen. With the 2016 Ghostbusters, the vitriol started when an all-female Ghostbusters was announced and only grew the closer it came to coming out.  In fact, most of the outrage came before anyone had seen the film.

This has an interesting trailer.  I've never been a huge fan of the Ghostbusters movies in general so I doubt I'll see it but it's an interesting angle to take to have it be about kids.

• Love 9

My big controversial hot take on the 2016 Ghostbusters movie is...its alright. The acting is good, it has some funny and exciting bits, I liked the idea of having an all female cast of ghostbusters, and the ghosts look really cool, but the plot was forgettable, the villain was lame, they seemed to be both trying to frantically distance themselves from the original film and copying it without adding much that was new, wasnt as funny as I think it was trying to be, and it just didnt have that perfect blend of comedy, action, and character that made the original work so well. I also think it was a mistake to not connect it in any way to the original movies, and that maybe it would have gone better to have a sort of passing of the torch scene with one of the OG ghostbusters giving the new ghostbusters the keys to Ecto One of something, or, if they want to keep the girl power thing, have it be Jeannine or Dana who passes the torch. Just something to give it some connection to the original films. Its a decent enough movie, and I enjoyed watching it, but its no classic the way the original was. The often very sexist troll attacks were horrible and really had nothing to do with the quality of the film at all, they were just a bunch of obnoxious assholes. 

I really like this trailer, I think that the change in tone could be just the thing that could re energize the franchise. Its really strange to see a ghostbuster movie played this serious, like some art house film, but I am really interested to see where it goes. 

• Love 3

Reminds me of a time when Aaliyah was casted as Akasha in late 2000 or early 2001. It was the old forum days. Every fan of Anne Rice argued about her skin being too dark and not alabaster as was the description in QOTD recalling Akasha looking Arabic or almost Greek. While Aaliyah was not a strong actress, I didn't like the whole her skin should be lighter discussion or whatever was the hate going on during the production of the film. It just seemed ridiculous back then.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

RAY!!! JANINE!!!!! SQUEE!!!!!😱😱😱🤯🤯🤯🤯🎉🎉🎉

Seriously. I'm going to see this in the theater. 

We got Slimer and was that Zuul or The Keymaster chasing Paul Rudd? Plus mini evil stay puffs. I'm ridiculously excited for this movie.

I love the actress they picked for Egon's granddaughter. She has his hair 😍

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm glad the reaction online is so positive compared to 2016 but it also puzzles me. Do fans not consider the original to be a comedy because that's how I remember it! People keep saying "There's going to be jokes in the movie, they just don't want to spoil it" Okay even if there are jokes they are really pushing this overall reverent tone where the original four are like gods which just seems bizarre when they were really goofballs way over their head. That's what was so fun about it! That said I did get a nostalgic lift seeing Janine.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I'm glad the reaction online is so positive compared to 2016 but it also puzzles me. Do fans not consider the original to be a comedy because that's how I remember it! People keep saying "There's going to be jokes in the movie, they just don't want to spoil it" Okay even if there are jokes they are really pushing this overall reverent tone where the original four are like gods which just seems bizarre when they were really goofballs way over their head. That's what was so fun about it! That said I did get a nostalgic lift seeing Janine.

It seems that many fans conveniently forget most of the movies.  This doesn't scream Ghostbusters for me mostly because teens** and the raunchy humor of the original don't mix.  I'm sure there will be jokes in this movie, but not of the same nature as the original, and is that really a Ghostbusters flick?  

**Actual teen actors under the age of 18 and not adults playing the role of teenager.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

like gods which just seems bizarre when they were really goofballs way over their head

I don't recall them being goofballs. Although the scene of them running away from the Library will never NOT make me laugh. I would argue they were more irreverent and sarcastic.

The original movie has humor but, it was also dark. Ghostbuster 2 was more kiddie humor while the original was a bit older and darker, IMO.

I would argue this movie is the closest in tone to Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 3 (the video game) while tying in the Ghostbusters Cartoon. YMMV but, this seems like a movie written by a fan, for the fans

• Love 5

I always considered the original to be, if not an outright comedy, a comedic horror film. This feels more serious with the exception of the cute little stay puft gang. I was dubious when I first heard about this movie, but that trailer sold me. Can't wait!!!!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't recall them being goofballs. Although the scene of them running away from the Library will never NOT make me laugh. I would argue they were more irreverent and sarcastic.

The original movie has humor but, it was also dark. Ghostbuster 2 was more kiddie humor while the original was a bit older and darker, IMO.

I would argue this movie is the closest in tone to Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 3 (the video game) while tying in the Ghostbusters Cartoon. YMMV but, this seems like a movie written by a fan, for the fans

Okay goofballs may have been more "Stripes" but it shows what a gateway horror movie the original was for a young generation that they don't even think of it as a comedy.  Ghostbusters 2 was the filmmakers realizing how popular it was with kids and try to cater to that when it turns out what they really wanted was to amp up the horror.

• Love 3

The original was something of an action/comedy/horror hybrid. It had some pretty goofy bits and a lot of funny one liners (especially from Bill Murray) but the action and plot points all took themselves pretty seriously. This does look more serious than the original one was, but I can imagine that the actual movie does have some wackier bits, even if it is more serious in general. This trailer looks awesome, I am really excited to see this on the big screen! 

Egon's granddaughter has some real Egon hair, I love it. Janine! Ray! 

• Love 7

NGL I was a little disappointed that it was Ray and not Venkman at the end. But I’m sure they’re trying not to spoil Bill Murray’s part in the trailers. I bet when he does appear in the movie, it’s going to be something like

bill murray GIF by Space Jam

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I suddenly remembered the scariest movie I saw as a little kid was THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN(1966) starring Don Knotts! Knotts was hilarious of course but the whole haunted house and its backstory was scary to me.

• LOL 2

That looks like it could be pretty fun. The updated effects look pretty good too.

As for the 2016 movie, I don't think it was a bad ghostbusters movie, but it was the worst Paul Feig directed, Melissa McCarthy movie. The issue I find with a lot of her good movies vs her bad ones is that they need to be rated R so she can say whatever the fuck she wants. Plus a great criticism I saw somewhere is why would you get 4 actresses with super strong improv backgrounds and then put them in a CGI heavy movie where there wouldn't be a lot of opportunities for them to go off script or make scenes longer?

• Love 5

I’m just going to be contrary here:

That just looks like Stranger Things with a cameo by Slimer. That’s not a bad thing, but honestly, it’s also not Ghostbusters.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Wait, so Egon and Janine got married? 

Where did it say that? In the trailer Janine is talking to Carrie C*** and refers to Egon as "your father". That doesn't necessarily mean Janine is her mother.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Where did it say that? In the trailer Janine is talking to Carrie C*** and refers to Egon as "your father". That doesn't necessarily mean Janine is her mother.

Don't dash my hopes. 😂

• Love 3

I saw this at a surprise screening at NYCC. It was enjoyable, had some nostalgia both happy and sad. But It was a fun movie and a nice continuation from the original. Also Paul Rudd seems to be aging backwards.

You could tell this movie was filmed 2 years ago because the cast in the movie looked nothing like the cast I saw on stage. Lol

Fyi, there are 2 end credit scenes. 

• Love 5