Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07 Last Call

SueB
  • Start Topic

“Last Call” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)
CLOSING TIME – Dean (Jensen Ackles) goes off on his own to take on a case. Meanwhile, Castiel (Misha Collins) has an idea of how he can help Sam (Jared Padalecki) track down God. Amyn Kaderali directed the episode written by Jeremy Adams (#1507). Original Airdate 12/5/2019.

SOURCE: 

CW

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3

My favorite thing about this episode was Undeniable Badass Dean Fucking Winchester. His rolling out the monster head was classic stuff. Reminded me of the season six vampire episode where he cleaned out a whole nest (along with its leader) as a starving young vampire. Neat fight scene at the end, too. 

For me, Badass DW was automatically a big step up in this episode's favor. The writing's reiteration of his purpose, his unconditional care for innocents, was a nice bonus.

Now onto the rest. Holy Hell, was the A-plot dull. Mytharc stuff happened, we got a brief "Sam's dying oh noes" scare 🙄, you know, the usual. Whatever. I'm also over the whole "Cas is compromising his morals" schtick. Guys, WE KNOW. This has been his only semblance of a character arc for years. We already know he'll never go all the way down the moral rabbit hole; and even if he does, as he did in season 14, it'll just be handwaved and eventually foisted onto Dean, anyway. What's the point?

And shocker, the old trusted friend turned out to be the bad guy. Most predictable "plot twist" in the world.

But yes, Jensen finally got to sing well as Dean! It was pure fanservice, but it sure made this fan happy!

Overall, better than I expected. At this point, just give me some positive Dean love and I'm all set. Thank you to Jeremy Adams for not pretending that anyone who looks like Jensen Ackles would have trouble getting attention from women (and men!). He's new, so he apparently hasn't been force-fed the koolaid yet.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 18

My favorite of the season despite the typical ham handed writing of late. I am glad it wasn't a djinn induced fantasy. The Dean parts were good. I recognized Christian's voice immediately because of Angel. None of it was great but it worked better than most of what we have seen. 

Pretty sure Chuck's hand was in Dean's personal day because Dean killed someone for becoming a monster after he went darkside who kept calling him brother. It's pretty much Chuck's wet dream for Dean.

I do like the writing for Cas. They finally have figured out something to do with him. Unfortunately they will throw away his newfound badassery as soon as Jack returns.

The Sam storyline went nowhere. Cas repeated exactly what Sam said last week. Not sure what he thought probing would do. He did that in the first episode and it caused Sam pain. Maybe research first???

They are definitely getting their story ideas from SM... sigh. Okay. Sam is getting laid and Dean is getting a storyline!!!??? Is it time to resurrect mytharc for Dean. 

• Love 5

"God ain't even God."

Yep, they've been laying the groundwork for the reveal that Chuck isn't actually God.  He's been an impostor for a long time.  And Team Winchester thinks they can beat God, with everything we know, that if God dies, the world ends.  Planting the seeds for the reveal of Chuck being a liar the entire time.

Dean should have know better than to trust Lindsey McDonald.  You can't trust a lawyer from Wolfram & Hart, except for possibly Lilah.

Cas is ready to go to war.

I know Supernatural doesn't do epic fights, and that Dean and Lindsey aren't trained, but they could have shot the fight better.  Yes, they were hiding the stunt doubles, but they didn't need 842 cuts.  I'm not expecting anything like Arrow's big fight in this past episode, or Kate tearing through Crows in this most recent Batwoman.  But, could have cut down on the number of cuts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, patty1h said:

What was the creature that Christian Kane had caged up, and what was he getting from it - I missed that explanation.  Thanks.

Money and longevity apparently but compared to Jensen the longevity was hard to swallow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

My favorite thing about this episode was Undeniable Badass Dean Fucking Winchester. His rolling out the monster head was classic stuff. Reminded me of the season six vampire episode where he cleaned out a whole nest (along with its leader) as a starving young vampire. Neat fight scene at the end, too. 

For me, Badass DW was automatically a big step up in this episode's favor. The writing's reiteration of his purpose, his unconditional care for innocents, was a nice bonus.

Now onto the rest. Holy Hell, was the A-plot dull. Mytharc stuff happened, we got a brief "Sam's dying oh noes" scare 🙄, you know, the usual. Whatever. I'm also over the whole "Cas is compromising his morals" schtick. Guys, WE KNOW. This has been his only semblance of a character arc for years. We already know he'll never go all the way down the moral rabbit hole; and even if he does, as he did in season 14, it'll just be handwaved and eventually foisted onto Dean, anyway. What's the point?

And shocker, the old trusted friend turned out to be the bad guy. Most predictable "plot twist" in the world.

But yes, Jensen finally got to sing well as Dean! It was pure fanservice, but it sure made this fan happy!

Overall, better than I expected. At this point, just give me some positive Dean love and I'm all set. Thank you to Jeremy Adams for not pretending that anyone who looks like Jensen Ackles would have trouble getting attention from women. He's new, so he apparently hasn't been force-fed the koolaid yet.

Yes. Dean was the best once we got to see him go at it. And yes the contrast with his friend helped him to focus his worldview and priorities.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

My favorite of the season despite the typical ham handed writing of late. I am glad it wasn't a djinn induced fantasy. The Dean parts were good. I recognized Christian's voice immediately because of Angel. None of it was great but it worked better than most of what we have seen. 

Pretty sure Chuck's hand was in Dean's personal day because Dean killed someone for becoming a monster after he went darkside who kept calling him brother. It's pretty much Chuck's wet dream for Dean.

I do like the writing for Cas. They finally have figured out something to do with him. Unfortunately they will throw away his newfound badassery as soon as Jack returns.

The Sam storyline went nowhere. Cas repeated exactly what Sam said last week. Not sure what he thought probing would do. He did that in the first episode and it caused Sam pain. Maybe research first???

They are definitely getting their story ideas from SM... sigh. Okay. Sam is getting laid and Dean is getting a storyline!!!??? Is it time to resurrect mytharc for Dean. 

Agree with most of this. It was my 2nd fave of the season so far after The Rupture. 

• Love 3

Not a perfect episode.  I'm just so OD'd on limp sick Sam I can't find it me to care.

Sam continues to demonstrated he really has no faith in Dean.  He's all talk and no action.  "I didn't think he'd ever get back up."  Really Sam, have you met your brother.  He kept you going since Jess's death.  He's stronger than you give him credit for.  Sometimes you just have to give him space.  Just because he doesn't operate on your timetable doesn't mean he's giving up.  This is why the brotherly bond is dead to me.  Sam clearly doesn't see his brother as strong.  Screw you Sam.  That line pissed me off.

But Dean....Dean....Dean

First and foremost I love that he saved himself.  He was smart and resourceful.  So thank you Jeremy Adams for writing Dean as Dean.  This is the most in character I've seen him since Regarding Dean. 

Jensen continues to amaze me.  So many conflicting emotions at war within Dean this ep.  Wanting to just give it up, so many feelings, good and bad about his father.   Dean finding the mojo to fight.

"Because someone has too' sums up Dean's primary reason for hunting and ties back to ep 2 and he does it to make other peoples lives better.

I loved the reference to Eye of the Tiger. 

Dean fighting and winning.  I liked the guys going flying out. 

Plus, I never knew I needed to hear Jensen sing The Dukes of Hazzard.   Jensen sounded fantastic.

Cas continues to annoy.  He coudn't be bothered to answer Sam and Cas's messages.  He would know Lilith was alive if he did.  He's also still withholding info.   Dean wasn't wrong when he said the thing that always goes wrong is Cas.  How many times did he screw up this episode?

Its confusing, is Sam still dying? Or was that just a time waster because Jensen couldn't film all 8 days? 

I hope its just a time waster, becasue another sick and dying Sam story is boring and so unoriginal. 

The best up in years. 

I noticed there was a reference to Death's library.  I would love for Dean's death books to come back into play.  But if Sam is dying it will probably be Sam's.

• Love 13

It's amazing the difference a new writer makes. I've been saying it for years, the show never needed to end, it just needed different people. This episode had more energy than whatever the hell the other hacks are writing when they're going through the motions. And it showed through the cast as well. Jensen and Christian Kane were fantastic.

That being said, the episode is still let down by the showrunner's unwillingness to commit to a single storyline. Just like every episode since the fourth.

They just had to cram the Sam/Eileen/Castiel stuff in there. It wasn't even that bad, especially the glimpses of character work for Castiel and Sam/Eileen, but it didn't need to be there and it needed to be expanded more on its own anyway.

In the end Dean's case isn't as good as it could have been, and it was extremely simplified (obvious clue that Lee is in on it, him leaving the girl's body in the car's trunk for whatever reason, Dean escaping in 10 seconds) in order to buy the time for the plot-related stuff. And it bums me out. It could have had so much more impact and end up being a real classic episode. Which is a thing we haven't had since season 11 as far as I'm concerned, so that's a long-ass time.

This season already feels depressingly unambitious, it's going to really suck if all the potentally fun and creative stuff ends up being diluted or shelved to make space for a storyline that's basically helmed by fucking BuckLeming.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 9

Overall, good episode: Dean got to kick ass and sing!

I admit that I laughed a little at Sergei telling Castiel:

"I like the new you, Castiel. Very Russian."

Edited by Whodunnit
I forgot the Badassery of Christian Kale and Jensen Ackles singing.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Loved, loved, LOVED! the Dean stuff in this one. Loved Christian Kane, too. I would so love to see these two work together again. The acting from both was so on point in this one, even though I knew that Lee was a Baddie from pretty much the moment we met him. No hunter worth his salt just throws in the towel on this show. Even if they sometimes want to. It's a calling, not just a job, as we saw this time and have seen many times over via Dean Fucking Winchester.

All the other stuff was completely eye-roll inducing, IMO; and the ending made me literally LOL! because once again Dean's story became basically only a side story for Dean and the Dean fandom. 

But I'll take it all the same and thank Jeremy Adams for it, because it was better than pretty much anything else we've gotten for Dean in S15 so far and something the present set of writers could never come up with considering how they apparently see the character.

And The Two singing was Joyful Beyond Words.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Not a perfect episode.  I'm just so OD'd on limp sick Sam I can't find it me to care.

Sam continues to demonstrated he really has no faith in Dean.  He's all talk and no action.  "I didn't think he'd ever get back up."  Really Sam, have you met your brother.  He kept you going since Jess's death.  He's stronger than you give him credit for.  Sometimes you just have to give him space.  Just because he doesn't operate on your timetable doesn't mean he's giving up.  This is why the brotherly bond is dead to me.  Sam clearly doesn't see his brother as strong.  Screw you Sam.  That line pissed me off.

But Dean....Dean....Dean

First and foremost I love that he saved himself.  He was smart and resourceful.  So thank you Jeremy Adams for writing Dean as Dean.  This is the most in character I've seen him since Regarding Dean. 

Jensen continues to amaze me.  So many conflicting emotions at war within Dean this ep.  Wanting to just give it up, so many feelings, good and bad about his father.   Dean finding the mojo to fight.

"Because someone has too' sums up Dean's primary reason for hunting and ties back to ep 2 and he does it to make other peoples lives better.

I loved the reference to Eye of the Tiger. 

Dean fighting and winning.  I liked the guys going flying out. 

Plus, I never knew I needed to hear Jensen sing The Dukes of Hazzard.   Jensen sounded fantastic.

Cas continues to annoy.  He coudn't be bothered to answer Sam and Cas's messages.  He would know Lilith was alive if he did.  He's also still withholding info.   Dean wasn't wrong when he said the thing that always goes wrong is Cas.  How many times did he screw up this episode?

Its confusing, is Sam still dying? Or was that just a time waster because Jensen couldn't film all 8 days? 

I hope its just a time waster, becasue another sick and dying Sam story is boring and so unoriginal. 

The best up in years. 

I noticed there was a reference to Death's library.  I would love for Dean's death books to come back into play.  But if Sam is dying it will probably be Sam's.

The Russian fixed Sam. Cas messed him up by stretching the bond between God and Sam which caused Sam to pass out. The Russian said he was dying at that point but then he did something to basically ensure Sam was dying under the guise of saving him. He then tried to blackmail Cas into giving him the key to Death's library. Cas countered the life of his daughter. And therefore the Russian fixed Sam. He should be fine and be back to ye ole God wound status quo.

Yes... the library was a nice shout out as was Michael. Both suggest Dean!Michael still could be a possibility for better or worse.

• Love 2

It was nice to see Dean have a friend he could talk to that didn't sneer at him or judge him. And two different people appreciating Dean's looks? Sign me up. Too bad Lee had to  be the villain. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 16

Weird how there was such a fuss about Dean singing (well) but Sam suddenly cooking, and a big hearty breakfast no less, is perfectly fine. 

Christian is a good singer, too. 

I just couldn't get into the Sam/Cas scenes. I don't know who is directing Jared to all this weird hesitating and gasping, but it's distracting. I do like less wishy washy Cas, but he's still not owning his shit, so he can take a seat. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

- Was there anyone who DIDN'T guess that the old hunting partner was the bad guy 5 minutes in? I would have been shocked if he WASN'T.

- I was actually a little bored because I was waiting for that "shocking turn of events" to happen.

- However, Wifey & I LOVED Jenson singing! I was like "G.O.B.? What the heck.... OMG it's the Dukes of Hazzard song!"

- I forgot how much fun it was to watch competently badass Dean!

- Loved the nod to Lethal Weapon.

- Really liked Dean's "NOPE!" to the hunting buddy calling him "brother".

- I didn't like Sam's storyline because I don't feel like we the audience learned any new information. I feel like sitting through a story arc like that should have had a bigger payoff; something a little more detailed than "God's weak".

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I just couldn't get into the Sam/Cas scenes. I don't know who is directing Jared to all this weird hesitating and gasping, but it's distracting. I do like less wishy washy Cas, but he's still not owning his shit, so he can take a seat

The acting was so bad; especially when Sam "woke up". I literally LOL. And the Sergei dude was supposed to be menacing, I suppose...🙄

I thought the best scene of the episode was when Lee and Dean were talking about John.

And the singing, of course. My heart couldn't keep from smiling during the singing. 🥰

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, KayCordingly said:

- Was there anyone who DIDN'T guess that the old hunting partner was the bad guy 5 minutes in? I would have been shocked if he WASN'T.

- I was actually a little bored because I was waiting for that "shocking turn of events" to happen.

- However, Wifey & I LOVED Jenson singing! I was like "G.O.B.? What the heck.... OMG it's the Dukes of Hazzard song!"

- I forgot how much fun it was to watch competently badass Dean!

- Loved the nod to Lethal Weapon.

- Really liked Dean's "NOPE!" to the hunting buddy calling him "brother".

- I didn't like Sam's storyline because I don't feel like we the audience learned any new information. I feel like sitting through a story arc like that should have had a bigger payoff; something a little more detailed than "God's weak".

Yes. Amara told us that in episode 2.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BabySpinach said:

My favorite thing about this episode was Undeniable Badass Dean Fucking Winchester. His rolling out the monster head was classic stuff. Reminded me of the season six vampire episode where he cleaned out a whole nest (along with its leader) as a starving young vampire

Ditto. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, BabySpinach said:

Did he rip off the monster's head with his bare hands?  (It looked a little too neat for that.)  Or was there an edged weapon somewhere that he somehow decided not/forgot to bring with him when he faced down Lee?

Just curious.  And just a quibble, because I did love "Undeniable Badass Dean."

Edited by ahrtee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Weird how there was such a fuss about Dean singing (well) but Sam suddenly cooking, and a big hearty breakfast no less, is perfectly fine. 

Christian is a good singer, too. 

I just couldn't get into the Sam/Cas scenes. I don't know who is directing Jared to all this weird hesitating and gasping, but it's distracting. I do like less wishy washy Cas, but he's still not owning his shit, so he can take a seat. 

It looked like Eileen cooked and Sam helped. Sam doesn't know how to do unhealthy fare.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Did he rip off the monster's head with his bare hands?  (It looked a little too neat for that.)  Or was there an edged weapon somewhere that he somehow decided not/forgot to bring with him when he faced down Lee?

Just curious.

Lol. We will never know. He had a weapon stash6somewhere and Lee was off his game or There was something he repurposed down there he used after he killed it with his bare hands because he wanted to send a signal before he walked out of the door. Or dangling pothole. While it was one of the better episodes it wasn't a masterclass in writing.

The Dean storyline was pretty paint by numbers with some great chemistry,  BAMF Dean and a bit of good dialogue and the rest just dragged.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

Just curious.  And just a quibble, because of "Undeniable Badass Dean..."

There were weapons hanging on the wall that were focused on, but they cut to a commercial instead of letting us see Dean in all of his Glorious Badassity-same as Gamble did back in S6. 

I would give my eye teeth to have seen Dean taking out those monsters, but can't have that on this show, can we?

Maybe on Jensen's next project...*fingers crossed*...

• Love 8
Just now, Myrelle said:

There were weapons hanging on the wall that were focused on, but they cut to a commercial instead of letting us see Dean in all of his Glorious Badassity-same as Gamble did back in S6.

Actually, my question was, if there were weapons available, why did he choose to face Lee empty handed?  He already knew he was an enemy (and armed).  In the fight itself, he grabbed the shotgun under the bar and a pool cue, no edged weapons.  He could have whipped a bloody knife/machete from behind his back, at least once Lee ran out of bullets.  (And apparently Lee didn't expect Dean to have any weapons, either...seriously underestimating him as a hunter?)  

Either it was to show how badass Dean actually is (weapon? I don't need no stinkin' weapon!) or how stupid.  Or, more likely, the writer just wanted an unarmed Dean taking on the bad guy and didn't think of any logic.  Good visuals, bad character writing. Smart!Dean would never walk into a fight with nothing up his sleeve if he had the choice.   

It didn't take away from my enjoyment during the fight, but annoyed me when I had the chance to think about it.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Either it was to show how badass Dean actually is (weapon? I don't need no stinkin' weapon!

I'm pretty sure that it was this.

And he mentioned counting the shots and knowing that Lee was out of bulllets also; so hand-to-hand for both of them, at that point.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Actually, my question was, if there were weapons available, why did he choose to face Lee empty handed?  He already knew he was an enemy (and armed).  In the fight itself, he grabbed the shotgun under the bar and a pool cue, no edged weapons.  He could have whipped a bloody knife/machete from behind his back, at least once Lee ran out of bullets.  (And apparently Lee didn't expect Dean to have any weapons, either...seriously underestimating him as a hunter?)  

Either it was to show how badass Dean actually is (weapon? I don't need no stinkin' weapon!) or how stupid.  Or, more likely, the writer just wanted an unarmed Dean taking on the bad guy and didn't think of any logic.  Good visuals, bad character writing. Smart!Dean would never walk into a fight with nothing up his sleeve if he had the choice.   

It didn't take away from my enjoyment during the fight, but annoyed me when I had the chance to think about it.  

My headcanon is that Dean didn't really want to kill him.  Maybe he was hoping that he would get another chance to talk to Lee.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ILoveReading said:

My headcanon is that Dean didn't really want to kill him.  Maybe he was hoping that he would get another chance to talk to Lee.

That would be nice, but afaik there was no turning back for Dean once Lee had killed innocents.  There really was nothing to talk about.

Dean did declare that Lee was a monster and didn't take him up on his offer to walk out and leave him alone, so he was prepared to kill, though unhappy about it.  

I did wonder at the nonsense of walking away while leaving a dead body and a broken pool cue with his fingerprints all over it.  And did anyone notice/mention/report the dead body in the car trunk?  (Not to mention the monster head/headless monster in the bar...)  That must be a pretty laid-back sheriff/town.  Or Dean has some mad cleaning skills.  😊 (Remember when they needed an angel--or demon--to clean up their messes when they finished a hunt?) 

• Love 2

Weekly "Careless Directing" thought on rewatch :

Lee keeping his monster and its victims behind a single shitty-looking door inside his bar, literally meters away from dozens of customers and employees that walk around every single day. It was in fact so close we clearly heard the monster scream from outside when Dean decapitated it.

How does no one during the production process goes "Wait, this is so implausible it's downright ridiculous. Let's do this little change and then it'll make more sense". Proably because no one cares enough to pay that much attention.

Also I would have really liked a justification as to why Lee had to target one of his regular customers, when she wasn't even alone. Obviously he would draw attention to himself. So he's that stupid but somehow he'd been avoiding hunter suspicion for fifteen years ?

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

That would be nice, but afaik there was no turning back for Dean once Lee had killed innocents.  There really was nothing to talk about.

Dean did declare that Lee was a monster and didn't take him up on his offer to walk out and leave him alone, so he was prepared to kill, though unhappy about it.  

I did wonder at the nonsense of walking away while leaving a dead body and a broken pool cue with his fingerprints all over it.  And did anyone notice/mention/report the dead body in the car trunk?  (Not to mention the monster head/headless monster in the bar...)  That must be a pretty laid-back sheriff/town.  Or Dean has some mad cleaning skills.  😊 (Remember when they needed an angel--or demon--to clean up their messes when they finished a hunt?) 

in 15 seasons I dont think we have ever seen them actually clean their way out of a hunt.  I remember a comment dean made about cleaning up a kill in thin man off screen.  Maybe that is something we could get before the show ends.

• Love 2

Oh there were issues, but Dean & Lee's story was interesting.  The first thing I thought, oh that Christian's song.  He has an album and House Rules is his third album.  Steve Carlson was part of the band when this was released.  This was all back in 2010 but not sure if they are still working together.  This was when Leverage was on.

I had seen some poor quality vids with the three singing together and at the time all I knew was Jensen and Kane.  So this was a big deal for me as I was hoping that someday they would work together again.  I really like Jensen's and Kane's  voices together.  So for that reason I do enjoy it.

I think it not that Sam's story wasn't bad, it's that we have been down this road so often that the rinse and repeat, isn't satisfying.  Nothing was really surprising.  They did allow Cas to win this time but what will be the cost NOW?  He got to be a little smart...not totally because the bad Russian is smarter than angel, how?

I know it was fan-service but I did love the music.

Edited by 7kstar

Maybe Dean torched the place on his way out. 

At one of the cons Jensen talked about this fight with the pool cue and how it didn't break like it was supposed to, so that really was him getting hit with it and it hurt like a mofo. I winced for him I saw it on screen.

The plotting and storytelling is so bad at this point, I'm really just watching for moments like this. 

• Love 6

Not a bad episode in that it was entertaining (and I can think of a lot worst ways to kill an hour), but it wasn't anything new and we didn't really learn anything important.

While I enjoyed Dean's storyline (again strictly for the entertainment value), it did feel very predictable and, as Castiels Cat put it, paint-by-numbers. Dean is still in a funk and not seeing the value of everything that he has done as a hunter, so we need another story to show Dean that he is so very special. The roadhouse seemed designed to indulge Dean's ego at every level. Hot girl really into him - check. Old best buddie that knows Dean so very well - check. A place for him to drink and rough house without judgement - check. I kind of rolled my eyes at a lot of it because we've been down this road with Dean before.

The case wasn't at all surprising and the whole thing was just designed to reinvigorate Dean's passion for hunting. Presenting Dean with a peer who gave up on hunting because he didn't see the point and ended up becoming a "monster" himself was a little too on the nose, but if it finally shakes Dean out of his mopes, then it served its purpose. 

And seriously... Cas nearly kills Sam, calls in a healer to make it worse. *bangs head on keyboard* On the plus side, Cas did fix things and managed to find the right leverage to get the healer to solve the problem but again, really really predictable. And it gave Jared very little to do this week except lay there looking like a 6 foot 5 Sleeping Beauty. 

The one good thing that came out of this is that we 1) learned the exact nature of Sam's wound and the part it may play going forward and 2) that the boys now know what the audience already did. That Chuck is weak and vulnerable. 

So not the worst episode by far, but hardly the best. And it reminds me that I really don't have a lot of interest in things when the boys are seperated. They really are at their best together.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

The roadhouse seemed designed to indulge Dean's ego at every level. Hot girl really into him - check. Old best buddie that knows Dean so very well - check. A place for him to drink and rough house without judgement - check

I was vaguely wondering during the episode if it was all a setup by chuck.  I guess not, but I was waiting for that reveal right up until the end. 

Edited by Bessie

Loved it!!! 

Don't think I'm quite over how low Jensen's voice got during Good Ole Boys. Okay now on to the plot:

Loved Badass Dean. It was perfection. 

While the audience knew God was weak, Sam and Dean didn't so I do think Sam's storyline is important. And I'm super intrigued for them to find the key to death's library - which is apparently in the bunker somewhere? 

I'm not sure if Sam is still dying. Sergei fixed whatever he did to him but I wasn't sure he fixed the original ailment. 

*My one big nitpick. Dean left to go to the junkyard without his phone? Stupid. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Maybe Dean torched the place on his way out. 

At one of the cons Jensen talked about this fight with the pool cue and how it didn't break like it was supposed to, so that really was him getting hit with it and it hurt like a mofo. I winced for him I saw it on screen.

The plotting and storytelling is so bad at this point, I'm really just watching for moments like this. 

So sad, but so true for me too.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Bessie said:

I was vaguely wondering during the episode if it was all a setup by chuck.  I guess not, but I was waiting for that reveal right up until the end. 

Hey maybe that is why we've had all the idiocy of people acting like a guy who looks like Jensen Ackles(aka Dean) is somehow ancient and ugly - maybe THAT was Chuck and now that he's weak and vulnerable, it's going back to normal, which is to say, people NOT acting like Dean looks like the Cryptkeeper. :)

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

*My one big nitpick. Dean left to go to the junkyard without his phone? Stupid. 

The whole conceit that Dean would give up his cell phone and keep him completely out of contact with Sam and Cas for the duration of his case was beyond stupid. The idea that he could end up needing help and have no way to call for backup was ridiculous. Not to mention knowing that he and Sam had a huge fish to fry and if Sam discovered something critical, he had no way of reaching Dean.

I have no issue with Dean letting his hair down and wanting to have a bit of fun, but it frustrates me that when the show has him do that they have to have him throw his common sense out the window. That he wouldn't keep a second phone on him for emergencies just really strains credulity. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

The whole conceit that Dean would give up his cell phone and keep him completely out of contact with Sam and Cas for the duration of his case was beyond stupid. The idea that he could end up needing help and have no way to call for backup was ridiculous. Not to mention knowing that he and Sam had a huge fish to fry and if Sam discovered something critical, he had no way of reaching Dean.

I have no issue with Dean letting his hair down and wanting to have a bit of fun, but it frustrates me that when the show has him do that they have to have him throw his common sense out the window. That he wouldn't keep a second phone on him for emergencies just really strains credulity. 

I was absolutely fine with it while he was in the bar. But once he left, nope.

Also, didn't he call on his 10 hour drive to know that Sam was fine? 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I could’ve lived with this, if I had gotten more about Dean. I love the character-driven episodes and we have so few of them anymore (regarding characters I enjoy) I was really looking forward to this. 

It was a letdown. Contrived and with nothing new or in-depth about Dean, which really ought to be the point of any standalone episodes. This was a perfect opportunity to explore Dean and they passed. 

A few thoughts of my own before I read everyone else's.

First- Yeah, I got to hear Lindsey and Dean singing. That's the best I've ever heard The Dukes of Hazard sung. But seriously, you couldn't get better than the Dukes of Hazard? Really? Eye of the Tiger reference. Yeah! The plot for this was pretty predictable, but maybe that's because there were two very good actors doing it. Christian Kane was really telegraphing it. What was the blue monster? I couldn't understand what he said, so I'm just going to go with Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Or maybe Blue Lagoon considering the coloring. 

I never noticed Jared's stammering until I read it hear. Now, I really notice it.

UGH! Can this Sergei person be banned from the show forever? Has he ever done anything remotely useful? Just again- UGH! And oh yeah- UGH AND ICK! 

I guess I need to watch whatever season blah episode that this Eileen person came from because I still don't remember her.

Cas, really?

And let me see if I got this right- Sam is dying because his soul is stretchy? And it is currently stretched too far and will someday snap like a rubber band? Er- okay, got it. But I don't want it- can I throw it back, please? And now there is a black key with a skeleton head just sitting around the bunker someplace and that is going to get the boys (Or Sam since he's the only one they let read) into Death's Library? Well, isn't that just as convenient as a stretchy soul?

But I got to hear Christian singing "The House Rules" from his The House Rules album. And I got to hear Jensen sing. And I got to hear them together and that makes me happy.

Edited by Bali
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Just curious.  And just a quibble, because I did love "Undeniable Badass Dean."

I thought he saw something in that very quick shot of the tool wall in that basement or wherever they were. 

• Love 3

The case was very paint-by-the-numbers but it was so, so good to see a Dean who wasn`t a clown or incompetent but was a badass and got to handle himself for a change. 

Jensen and Christian`s chemistry was really good. It was sad that Lee had turned into a bad guy and thus Dean lost a friend but for the sake of the wider story about Dean re-discovering his purpose, it was necessary IMO. Lee clearly presented himself as "this could be you" to Dean early on and the narrative asked the question of would Dean turn into that if he got too disillusioned. It basically asked the question to the character himself and he conclusively answered with "no". 

The duet was lovely. 

The Sam/Cas plot was really boring. In the previouslies we got the scene of Sam saying how the wound connected him to Chuck and here we had an entire stupid plot that verified that...the wound connected Sam to Chuck. Wow, And for Sam to see a flashback of some scenes from episode 2. That the audience already saw in, you guessed it, episode 2. 

It is immensely tricky to give the audience knowledge far in advance that the characters don`t happen. It makes the audience impatient at best and the character look slow at worst. And once you catch the characters up to speed, it is boring because the audience already know`s what`s what. 

You could have cut this entire plot and have Lilith inadventently slip that Chuck isn`t up to snuff. If they don`t want to bring Amara in again just yet. That accomplishes the same level of knowledge. 

Also, this is episode 7, meaning this great "breakthrough" of "yeehaw, Chuck is toast" will lead nowhere.

I`d much rather have seen Dean`s fight with the monster instead of bla bla blibbity blaw stuff I already knew about Chuck.

Eileen was totally game but I don`t think Sam was into it. I guess this aborted romance sideplot will lead nowhere fast as well. 

Oh well, it was better than anything else so far this Season if only for letting me experience actual Dean for a change.   

• Love 9
(edited)

Well I enjoyed that!

Funniest line: “Ew!” By Eileen, in response to their’s a piece of Sam in Chuck.  Well played.  And SO accurate.

I don’t think Chuck had anything to do with this episode.  Because Chuck doesn’t want Dean at full strength.  Which worries me.... what is Chuck doing?  

Sam & Eileen:  we had a moment there.  I like her, I like how he appears to feel with her.  I don’t expect long term happiness for Sam but I like them as a couple.  Giggle moment - So Sam has no problem with real bacon...hmmmmm...I call smitten!  Dean was right about Sam/Eileen.  And I think Dean had every intention of taking Sam on the case and bugged out on his own as soon as he saw the bacon.  He’s so Team!Sam - I took his comment about the smell to be a call out to Dean’s belief that sleeping with someone who smells like good food is a bonus.  

Dean & Lee:  I thought Lee was the perfect foil for Dean.  And if using a literary foil to give the hero motivation is passé to some?  It doesn’t bother me.  I thought it was solid story telling.  Lee was too much party and not enough morality.  Lee also didn’t have John Freakin’ Winchester to keep him moving forward.  John WAS too hard on Dean but having a partner is a good way to avoid going down a wrong path.  Lee slipped into a self-delusional morality that I don’t think is in Dean’s nature to do but there are plenty of ways to ‘check out’ when traumatized.  John’s presence helped Dean move forward after what was apparently a horrifying hunt in Arizona. Lee obviously said ‘f*ck it, I’m going to party and hurting a few people is justified after the good I’ve done’. He was, theoretically, Dean but with a warped moral compass.  Before it went south, I enjoyed their reminiscing.  And I enjoyed the utter confidence with which Dean demonstrated how far he had come as a hunter and a human since he had last seen Lee.  Lee gave a good fight but this was Dean Freaking Winchester and Lee was sloppy after dealing with civilians. 

Cas & Sergei: I’m SO glad Cas had the upper hand when Sergei pulled his inevitable betrayal.  I also loved Cas’ little smile when Eileen when into BadAss mode.  Memo to Cas: don’t use the word ‘probe’.  No one likes that word when it comes to their own body.  

Dean & Cas: Well THAT’s still a mess.

I’m going to rewatch later and do ‘shout-out’ bingo.  I think I must have picked up on a DOZEN different in-universe and BTS items.  

Overall a good episode.  I’ll be rewatching soon.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 6

Garbage. It was so obvious Kane was the bad guy at the outset that I thought it was going to be a subversive trick. Nope. It was just shitting writing. Dean giving up his cell? Shitty writing. Dean not immediately recognizing that Kane was the baddie? Dean being loosely tied to a chair he can just wriggle out of? The monster being able to bust through the door with ease but never doing it for years until Dean shows up? Kane keeping the monster IN HIS F***ING BAR! Shitty shitty writing.

The only redeeming quality was getting an episode where they acknowledge that Dean is a badass and women think he's sexy, instead of turning him into an idiot and making lazy jokes about his age.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tessathereaper said:

Hey maybe that is why we've had all the idiocy of people acting like a guy who looks like Jensen Ackles(aka Dean) is somehow ancient and ugly - maybe THAT was Chuck and now that he's weak and vulnerable, it's going back to normal, which is to say, people NOT acting like Dean looks like the Cryptkeeper. :)

This is possibly the only thing that could redeem the whole Chuck storyline. I love it. LOL!

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

The only redeeming quality was getting an episode where they acknowledge that Dean is a badass and women think he's sexy, instead of turning him into an idiot and making lazy jokes about his age.

Since I have less than zero expectations and even less confidence in the writing staff and showrunner, this is basically all I'm watching for now. So from that standpoint, it was a home run.

I do love that Dean is still 100% done with Castiel's bullshit. I wonder if they'll ever tell him that Sam's most recent brush with death was Cas's fault.

• Love 5

I'm starting to believe that Castiel is trying to kill Sam and has been doing so for years. Kidding, mostly. But I can see an ending, where Sam is dead and Dean is left with Castiel. 

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 1