Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Tuna Florentine and a Clean Handoff

jewel21

"Tuna Florentine and a Clean Handoff" - Christy and the ladies rally around Tammy when she has trouble adjusting to early release from parole. Also, Bonnie is disappointed when her perfect birthday gift for Adam gets a lukewarm response, on MOM, Thursday, Dec. 5 (9:01-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Airdate: 12/05/2019

The jacket plot was just filler though I liked the running gag of Bonnie paraphrasing famous sayings and insisting that her wording was better. Tammy's plot was very good and touching on a rather serious subject matter. It's one of this show's fortes that it manages to pull something like that off and make you think once you've stopped laughing.

• Love 10

Kristen Johnson's facial expressions just crack me up, especially the ones she made when talking to Adam at the bar. And didn't mind the jacket storyline, and agree it was lighthearted filler that gave us some good Bonnie lines, a Gus sight gag as well as balanced out scenes of them having to drive around all night looking for an awol alcoholic.

Also like Jill's delivery of "well dont gasp  -now they all know it was you".

• Love 11

Also, with the jacket storyline, Bonnie being completely soaked with sweat when she finally takes it off at the bistro. Janney is amazing at physical comedy (I'm still giggling at her falling prone on the floor when she heard her shrink arguing with his wife.)

And while Bonnie continues to evolve with concepts like: it's better to give than receive and it's the thought that counts, she's still gotta be Bonnie (patting herself on the back for not stealing the jacket.)

And Wendy's gasp was exactly why she's such an integral part of the gang. The craft/trust/timing/fearlessness of the cast is one of the things that brings me joy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I honestly don't know how Adam puts up with Bonnie. If I had to live with her I think I'd have a nervous breakdown. She is just exhausting. I'll admit she's a funny TV character but if this were real life I wouldn't be able to spend a lot of time with her. 

Have they ever said exactly how many cats Marjorie has? 

Christie had next to nothing to do in this episode. 

I liked the closing segment with Tammy talking to the other inmates. 

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I paused on one scene and counted 8 cats.  I'm presuming she takes in strays so the number would vary at any given time.  

• Love 4

What a terrific episode for Kristen Johnson in tackling a fairly serious subject.  Recidivism is a real problem for many reasons, and as someone who's lived within the confines of one system or another for good portions of her life, suddenly being free and expected to follow societal rules on her own could be a hugely overwhelming thing.  Especially as Tammy said, she doesn't have a great history of making good choices when she did have choices to make.  She was also right in her talk to the inmates at the end that a lot of her success is likely due to having the support system of the group when she got out.  Various members have given her a place to live at times, gave her work as she needed it to meet her parole requirements, and helped her put the pieces in place to get her contractor's license so she could start to build a full life for herself.

The jacket storyline was filler, sure, but it was yet another example of how Bonnie can't ever just let something be what it is without also making it all about her.  She was projecting heavily when she said Christy was the one who needed validation.  It wasn't enough to give a gift, she also needed the degree of effort she made to be fully acknowledged.  

Marjorie has had anywhere from 4 to 8 cats at various points over the show's run.  I love the idea of "saving" certain kinds of cat food for a special occasion. 

• Love 9

My love for Tammy is endless!! And I really liked how the show ended with her speaking at the jail.

I think Marjorie started off with six cats but my fav is the stray that show up after Victor died ( "I'm not saying it's Victor.......but it's Victor"😂😂😂)

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Janney is amazing at physical comedy (I'm still giggling at her falling prone on the floor when she heard her shrink arguing with his wife.)

She's terrific at physical comedy; I think the first thing I saw her fall in was Primary Colors, and she's still doing it just as well twenty years later.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

In the episode where Tammy moves in with her, she has nine - it had been eight, and then the stray Marjorie says is Victor reincarnated showed up.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Marjorie has had anywhere from 4 to 8 cats at various points over the show's run.  I love the idea of "saving" certain kinds of cat food for a special occasion. 

She initially said she had four. Then when Bonnie and Christie drove her to chemo in season one, it went up to eight. A ninth showed up the night Victor died, but he was a stray. He may not have stayed permanently. My aunt had a stray cat show up on her doorstep the day my uncle died. My aunt was also sure it was his reincarnation. He only stayed for three weeks before he moved on.

What happened to Marjorie making all her own cat food and not allowing them to have anything processed?

• Love 4

I paused on one scene and counted 8 cats.  I'm presuming she takes in strays so the number would vary at any given time. 

Some of them looked like they were purebred showcats, I saw at least one Persian. 

My God, the cat hair, everywhere. 😳

• Love 2

It was great to see an episode centered on Tammy. There haven't been a lot of them, either. I will admit that at the beginning, I thought it was a repeat of the last Christmas episode because of Anna Maria Horsford's appearance (She was the parole officer; I'll always remember her from Friday and How High).

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mammaM said:

My love for Tammy is endless!! And I really liked how the show ended with her speaking at the jail.

I think Marjorie started off with six cats but my fav is the stray that show up after Victor died ( "I'm not saying it's Victor.......but it's Victor"😂😂😂)

PS: Marjorie has NINE cats. Got home, made coffee, put the news on, news sucks, changed channel and it was the episode where Marjorie and Tammy move in together. She said 9 cats AND the Victor line I mentioned above😁

• Love 4

If you ask someone with a lot of cats how many they have at any given point over several years, that number may fluctuate.  I currently have four but in the past two years our number at times got as high as six as individual ones have gotten old and died, one decided to slip off and go be free again, or we rescued someone new.  Marjorie said in the recent episode about her finances that several of her cats are old, so that number may change again soon for her too. 

4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

What happened to Marjorie making all her own cat food and not allowing them to have anything processed?

That was when we first started seeing her house, when she was first going through chemo.  There was a definite suggestion in some of those scenes that she was a lonely old woman who didn't have a lot going on in her life outside of the A/A group and thus had a lot of time on her hands, from the way she took it upon herself to make brownies for Roscoe's school bake sale to finagle getting Christy and Bonnie to drive her to chemo.  Since then, she's become part of a close group of friends with a much more active social life, gotten married and acted as a longterm caregiver before finally being widowed.  At some point she may have had enough other stuff going on that she just decided the Fancy Feast was good enough.  

Can you tell how much I love having a TV character be a cat lady without being a stereotypically crazy cat lady?

• Love 12

Yeah there must be something up with her insomnia. I do think it was weird that no one asked for more details. 

I've always loved this show and it seems to just keep getting better. Kristen Johnston has been such a great addition.

Bonnie was way over the top in her excitement about the coat, but it did provide some good comedy. And William Fichtner is 63? Damn he looks good! So does Allison Janney at age 60. Actually, the whole cast looks great for their ages.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 9
On 12/7/2019 at 1:32 AM, 60sgirl said:

Jill seemed a little down in this episode, which was surprising to me, because. she has seemed happier lately, since starting a relationship with Andy.

The show doesn't shy away from the fact that being in an ideal relationship doesn't just magically wash away all of your problems. It's one of the things I like about it.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 9
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also wondered what is going on with Jill, and it's odd that no one asked her. It seemed like rather heavy-handed foreshadowing for a show like this.

Pregnant?  That would seem to be the go-to, given that this is a sitcom and all.  (Actually not limited to sitcoms - Grey's Anatomy, anyone?)  Or has that been ruled out as "impossible" before - I may have forgotten.  But then, that doesn't mean anything.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, iMonrey said:

Some of them looked like they were purebred showcats, I saw at least one Persian. 

My God, the cat hair, everywhere. 😳

Yes, the cat hair!!!!

I have 2 cats ...one shorthair and onelonghair. .. and a shorthair medium size german shepherd.

Vacuuming is a frequent core workout.

Even worse,  dare I say it. ......the catboxes. 

Cleaning them daily is disgusting, but necessary.

Trying to hide the boxes was a big dilemma. I finally got a tall screen for the public box (they picked the spot unfortunately. The box is the basement laundry room is ok as is. 

I LOVE the actress who plays Marjorie and have in all her roles.  I would watch a show with her as the main character.  She beings intelligence,  pathos, and quirkiness to her character that is wonderful.  

I would not want to live with her though.  

Tammy is the best open-hearted, open-everything character.  I love her too. 

I so want Wendy to have a larger role in this group. 

I'm kind of tired of Bonnie and Kristi.

I do love seeing William Fichtner though. I think his character is one of those laid back guys who don't seem to get caught up in the chaos around them.  I know reallife marriages like that.  

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 4

Tammy, played by Kristen Johnson, is just one of the actors who are so familiar that it seems they have been around forever.  I never watched Third Rock from The Sun, but, I did recall her from that show.  Remember her falling out of the window on Sex and The City? OMG, that was bizarre.  I didn't know that she is ALSO a recovering addict in real life!  AND, she has lupus!  She's a talented lady.  I wish her good health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Johnston

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

I LOVE the actress who plays Marjorie and have in all her roles.  I would watch a show with her as the main character.  She beings intelligence,  pathos, and quirkiness to her character that is wonderful.  

Yes!  The presence of Mimi Kennedy was absolutely equal to that of Allison Janney in my decision to give this show a shot despite it being a Chuck Lorre production.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes!  The presence of Mimi Kennedy was absolutely equal to that of Allison Janney in my decision to give this show a shot despite it being a Chuck Lorre production.

What's funny was that sometime after I got into this show (Which was earlier this year), I realized that Marjorie was played by the same woman who played Abby on Dharma and Greg. I didn't realize that until I took a closer look at her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, Tosia said:

I think his character is one of those laid back guys who don't seem to get caught up in the chaos around them.

I think that would be a required quality for living with Bonnie and Christy.

• Love 4