Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I think both the actor and the writers have struggled to figure out the character of Cody.  Scenes from the past few days made me think the actor is finally a little more sure of who he is supposed to be, and where the character is going. He has real purpose now, and it shows. Hoping the writers catch up soon.

Watching the Sonny / Carly scenes today, it struck me that they make great exes.  They have a long history, they share family, and for that reason, they will always find a way to support one another.  If we really can't be granted a permanent goodbye from either or both characters, I would prefer that they remain as they are, living parallel lives that intersect in a crisis, but not falling back into a romance, and definitely not a romance that is considered 'end game'.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Sonny was in custody for 72 hours -- why the hell did Carly tell Donna anything at all? "Daddy is busy tonight and has to change the date of your sleepover" would have been fine. No wonder the Carlys overshare with Wylie.

How could Lucy give up 75% of Deception? Don't Maxie and Sasha own some Deception stock too?

Tracy saying that her deal with Lucy is dependent on Lucy giving up the ELQ voting right makes me think that Tracy's case isn't as strong as she wants everyone to think that it is.

Jordan asking if Cody kidnapped Sasha to get revenge on being stabbed is just crazy when he refused to press any charges at all.

4 hours ago, susannah said:

Example is the episode where Sam brings wine and ice cream to Maxie's. James and Georgie are fighting. Maxie sends Georgie to her bedroom, and not only allows just James to be rewarded with ice cream, but then Maxie told him he would have the bedroom to himself, and James thanked her, as though it was his room all along.

Georgie lost me during the Austin/Maxie/Spinelli triangle. On a show full of obnoxious children, she was the worst since young Spencer, although fully encouraged by Spinelli.

Maxie put Georgie in her own room to separate them and IIRC gave her ice cream too. As the older child with a brother younger than me with the same age difference as Georgie and James, I would have been in a whole lot of trouble if I hid my brother's things and fought with him as Georgie did with James (and we shared a room too).

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think that Maxie will be eating crow at some point since it seems like the whole deceptor thing was stolen and Tracy will be just laughing in several faces about it.

Unless Martin told Lucy how to build it and it was already patented by ex #3, Deception didn't steal it. From what we've been told, Martin gave Lucy an idea and Deception did the development and testing themselves.

And if ex wife's company had it first, why isn't it on the market yet? This plot is so stupid but it's always nice to see Jane Elliott.

• Like 5

Today was nice and soapy. In fact, the only thing I didn't enjoy was that that awful thing Jordan was wearing. 

I had a real "duh" moment when Tracy offered Lucy more of her company in return for Lucy's 1% of ELQ. Of course Tracy would do anything for control of ELQ.  Nicely played.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I had a real "duh" moment when Tracy offered Lucy more of her company in return for Lucy's 1% of ELQ

This didn't make sense to me. Lucy has done nothing but yowl that her company is her whole life, and she just throws away a 49% share of it to settle the lawsuit, in which she could lose it all, to retain a 1% share of Tracy's family's company. Any guesses as to who Tracy's phone pal is?

1 minute ago, susannah said:

This didn't make sense to me. Lucy has done nothing but yowl that her company is her whole life, and she just throws away a 49% share of it to settle the lawsuit, in which she could lose it all, to retain a 1% share of Tracy's family's company. Any guesses as to who Tracy's phone pal is?

I can believe it, Lucy and Tracy have decades worth of issues between them. Maybe once she has a chance to think about it more clearly. 

And...

Spoiler

Spoilers say Tracy's friend is Martin's ex-wife and OLTL character Blair Cramer. Since she is supposed to visit on the 15th we won't have long to wait. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I can believe it, Lucy and Tracy have decades worth of issues between them. Maybe once she has a chance to think about it more clearly. 

And...

Reveal spoiler

Spoilers say Tracy's friend is Martin's ex-wife and OLTL character Blair Cramer. Since she is supposed to visit on the 15th we won't have long to wait. 

Spoiler

But if they are going to do a crossover, I wonder why they have also mentioned Erica Kane from AMC, frequently?

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, ciarra said:

Whatever happened to miracle child Bailey?  Mac and Flea couldn't be watching her, because they were with Maxie, Georgie and James.  Did they forget her somewhere (Port Charles Zoo)?  Or was she at an endless sleepover? 

She was so much better off as Quartermaine. The second she went back to Maxie that was it, no more baby Maxie cared so much about she was showing up at the house daily to see. 

Tracy going after the 1 percent is so smart. This is over ELQ. 

Maxie looked horrible, big frumpy t-shirt and ponytail. She used to like fashion. 

Good for Dante and Sam putting pieces together.  Maybe finally Gladys will get what's coming to her. 

Sasha is an idiot.  She deserved Cody's judgement on her taking pills she didn't know what they were.  He should not have said sorry.  

Jake used to go by Spencer, and Lucky was absolutely treated and viewed as his dad for many years. The Jason/Drew thing only became a real factor once he was back from the dead and Hudson West was in the role, when Drew-as-Jason (more than the real Jason) made a concerted effort to connect with his 'son.' So I don't have a problem with him seeing Laura as his grandmother. I do have a problem with them trying to pair him up with that mutant hellspawn of Valentin's. Also if anyone should get the latest fumbling attempt at an LGBT storyline it should be Jake IMO. 

Assuming for a moment that the deceptor does go back to

Blair Cramer/Manning, it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. This presumably would link back to Blair's on-off cosmetics company Melador, which is easily positioned as a potential rival to Deception, but I don't recall Melador being at all active much in the late two decades. It's possible one of the other Cramer women like Melissa Fumero's Adriana had taken it on; in those years Blair was preoccupied with publishing, at her own magazine and at Todd's Sun paper and then running her own club.

Tracy's ELQ gambit is indeed smart.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Sasha is an idiot.  She deserved Cody's judgement on her taking pills she didn't know what they were.  He should not have said sorry.  

She is not an idiot. She trusted her doctor, and he told her it was an anti-depressant, or for anxiety, I forget which. I would bet that many many people wouldn't know more than that, particularly in the middle of mental health issues. I do agree though that everyone should.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, susannah said:
  Hide contents

But if they are going to do a crossover, I wonder why they have also mentioned Erica Kane from AMC, frequently?

I think she was a red herring, which made sense considering that Lucy and Felicia followed clues to Pine Valley and Jackson Montgomery.  

11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Unless Martin told Lucy how to build it and it was already patented by ex #3, Deception didn't steal it. From what we've been told, Martin gave Lucy an idea and Deception did the development and testing themselves.

And if ex wife's company had it first, why isn't it on the market yet? This plot is so stupid but it's always nice to see Jane Elliott.

Not if they filed and own the patent. Martin stole the idea, gave it to Lucy who ran with it, while someone else already owned the rights to it. 

Did anyone know that John J York is going out on medical leave? He apparently has some sort of blood cancer, and is waiting for a bone marrow transplant. I feel sure that his castmates will do everything to help him that they can.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 5

I've already said I hate corporate stories. Zero interest in watching Tracy versus Lucy, especially since it makes little sense.

If Tracy wanted any part of ELQ, she had years before now to do this. It's such a waste. I was enjoying her and Gregory. At least they were fun and they both came alive.

Oh, well.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, susannah said:

Did anyone know that John J York is going out on medical leave? He apparently has some sort of blood cancer, and is waiting for a bone marrow transplant. I feel sure that his castmates will do everything to help him that they can.

It's been mentioned in the Media thread. I didn't know until yesterday's news about it

• Like 1
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Not if they filed and own the patent. Martin stole the idea, gave it to Lucy who ran with it, while someone else already owned the rights to it. 

I expect the writers will handle patent law just as well as their other legal stories. 🤮

We've now learned that Tracy is pursuing the Deceptor case for control of ELQ. I wonder if Martin's ex will be going after him for his part in it to save 50k/mo in alimony?  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Isn't it the responsibility of the patent office to check if a patent has already been filed before granting a new one?

If Lucy started research and manufacture on the Deceptor without first checking if someone else had got it first, she deserves everything she gets.

• Useful 1

Man, that is some low rent prison if the warden can't get a better office than that. And, also? If you want Drew to do some undercover work for you, Sonny, best not to actually come see him in person.

This business with Ava and Mason and Austin, oh my. Didn't she already tell Sonny everything, and didn't she tell Austin she told Sonny everything? I'm confused. As are the writers, I think. I mean, even in the midst of a storyline, more so than he's been since being on the show, I still don't know who Austin is - good guy, bad guy, something in between - and the sad part is, neither do the writers.

Also sad, Ned's family essentially driving him into amnesia and now his wife might not even want Ned back if it means displacing Eddie. With all that love in his life, he should come up with a third persona and leave PC very far behind in his wake.

• Like 5

For a minute, I thought that the Warden was the Pautuck Big Bad and I almost apologized for thinking poorly of the show but by the end of the episode it looks like it's still Cyrus. Boo.

I couldn't figure out why Dante was apologizing to Sasha for Gladys till I realized that Gladys is his Corinthos relative.

How stupid is Spencer to take Trina away first year of classes? That's the most important week of the year other than exam week. Also, Trina needs that piece of paper to get the job that she wants. Sheesh.

Isn't Dante going to be in trouble for aiding Cody committing the crime of busting Sasha out and breaking out himself?

Joss, you really need that study group for organic chem. It's a killer.

Oh the irony of both Joss and Trina in university while one of their guys is a mobster and the other is a layabout.

The writers really are desperate to keep Carly and Drew relevant.

13 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

This business with Ava and Mason and Austin, oh my. Didn't she already tell Sonny everything, and didn't she tell Austin she told Sonny everything? I'm confused. As are the writers, I think. I mean, even in the midst of a storyline, more so than he's been since being on the show, I still don't know who Austin is - good guy, bad guy, something in between - and the sad part is, neither do the writers.

She told Sonny but I don't think that Austin knows that.

But agreed that the writers have no idea who or what Austin is.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Also sad, Ned's family essentially driving him into amnesia and now his wife might not even want Ned back if it means displacing Eddie. With all that love in his life, he should come up with a third persona and leave PC very far behind in his wake.

Olivia never seemed to really like Ned, so I'm not surprised she likes Eddie. He's more of a bad boy . . . which suggests she hasn't changed much over the years. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Cyrus, you aren't the only one who thinks Mason's usefulness is near its end. Get rid of him now!

MB's kid (Adam, Joss's next door neighbor in the dorms) seems to have recovered pretty well from his accident. Good for him. Too bad his character has a crush on Joss, though of course he does. Ugh.

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Joss, you really need that study group for organic chem. It's a killer.

LOL. I'm not convinced Joss will stay premed. She's not on the PCU volleyball team anymore, is she? If she can't stick that out, there's no chance she'll make it through premed.

Austin's apology to Ava was a bit late. And it's about time she started playing hardball with him.

Trina doesn't need to justify where she works to anybody, especially Spencer. And way to completely ignore her obligations, Spencer, and ask her to go on vacation with you because you're feeling guilty. He's such an entitled turd: "You don't need a piece of paper to prove how smart you are." Thank goodness Trina turned him down for the island part of the trip.

Just now, rur said:

Olivia never seemed to really like Ned

I bought them as friends, but once they got married? Olivia has been so awful toward Ned.

Gee, Drew. You are quite the undercover operative, working the guard like that.

• Like 8
46 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

If you want Drew to do some undercover work for you, Sonny, best not to actually come see him in person.

I thought it was hilarious that Drew left the meeting with Sonny and IMMEDIATELY grabbed the first guard he saw to ask his question.  I mean, does he even know what 'undercover' means?  

20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I thought that the Warden was the Pautuck Big Bad and I almost apologized for thinking poorly of the show but by the end of the episode it looks like it's still Cyrus.

I think the Warden is going to fight for that top spot on the pedestal and Cyrus had better be careful how he handles her, since she's in charge of the prison and can toss him in solitare if he's not careful.  Twas a stupid move to align himself with someone that can overthrow him that easily.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Isn't Dante going to be in trouble for aiding Cody committing the crime of busting Sasha out and breaking out himself?

What's the legalities when it  comes to Cody's case?  In Sasha's case, the judge ordered her to Pentonville because she was a danger to herself and others.  They would need to prove that Gladys and Monty were drugging her and gaslighting her in order to overturn the judge's decision.  

But in Cody's case, Sam has power of attorney.  He was faking it to the the psychiatrist, who then placed him.  Wouldn't they just need to have Sam step in as his POA?  Admit they were lying about all of it?  Is it a crime to lie about your mental health in order to be admitted somewhere specific?  Is it kidnapping if Sasha went willingly?  

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I thought it was hilarious that Drew left the meeting with Sonny and IMMEDIATELY grabbed the first guard he saw to ask his question.  I mean, does he even know what 'undercover' means?  

He doesn't seem to know anything about discretion, since he was asking in an open area and, of course, Cyrus was listening. 

Didn't we hear him tell Sonny he was skilled in this kind of work? (I'm not sure, since I was playing a game on my phone.)

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Isn't it the responsibility of the patent office to check if a patent has already been filed before granting a new one?

It's this show, so who knows what they'll say.

If Lucy started research and manufacture on the Deceptor without first checking if someone else had got it first, she deserves everything she gets.

She probably didn't since she's all about how it all came from her head. The Deceptor came out of nowhere. They never said Deception was working on some groundbreaking.

Today's show, I effed through most of it. Especially the trio of Carly/Sonny/Drew. Please stop with the whole "I love you" business. Between Drew/Carly and her progeniture and the Jason wannabe, it was just too much gross.

I'm not convinced Joss will stay premed. She's not on the PCU volleyball team anymore, is she? Ifshe can't stick that out, there's no chance she'llmake it through premed.

Joss will be a doctor in record time. If it takes a year I’ll be shocked. 

• LOL 1
54 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

But in Cody's case, Sam has power of attorney.  He was faking it to the the psychiatrist, who then placed him.  Wouldn't they just need to have Sam step in as his POA?  Admit they were lying about all of it?  Is it a crime to lie about your mental health in order to be admitted somewhere specific?  Is it kidnapping if Sasha went willingly?  

I know Canadian law rather than American but once the psychiatrist put Cody into Ferncliffe on an involuntary hold, it's up to a psychiatrist and not Sam to let Cody out. Sam can make medical decisions for Cody but they would have to convince the psychiatrist that Cody really isn't suicidal before Cody could leave.

Sasha is not allowed to leave so Cody (and Sam and Dante) are aiding and abetting her crime of leaving.

42 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

It's this show, so who knows what they'll say.

She probably didn't since she's all about how it all came from her head. The Deceptor came out of nowhere. They never said Deception was working on some groundbreaking.

They did do development and testing though. That's the information that Brook Lynn stole for Tracy.

Again it doesn't make sense. Tracy and (presumably) ex wife #3 could have sued Deception just for marketing the Deceptor if someone else held the patent. The fact that there is development data is a point in Deception's favour, not Tracy's.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I know Canadian law rather than American but once the psychiatrist put Cody into Ferncliffe on an involuntary hold, it's up to a psychiatrist and not Sam to let Cody out. Sam can make medical decisions for Cody but they would have to convince the psychiatrist that Cody really isn't suicidal before Cody could leave.

Sasha is not allowed to leave so Cody (and Sam and Dante) are aiding and abetting her crime of leaving.

They did do development and testing though. That's the information that Brook Lynn stole for Tracy.

Again it doesn't make sense. Tracy and (presumably) ex wife #3 could have sued Deception just for marketing the Deceptor if someone else held the patent. The fact that there is development data is a point in Deception's favour, not Tracy's.

I'm also confused because I would think that by having Brooklyn steal the info that it would taint any evidence she did have.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Applying logic and knowledge when it comes to GH is probably not something any of us should be doing. It leads to dead ends, wrinkles and grey hairs.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Maybe they plan on using the real development artifacts to fake their own? 🤷‍♀️

Honestly, I would be okay with Lucy and the others losing half of Deception and having to scramble a bit. When characters have too much money their storylines get even more far-fetched. 

I would think that Cody is a fugitive for assaulting a doctor and tying him up. Obviously, this will all be waved away once Cody finds the syringe in doc's suit jacket and they put the rest of the puzzle together.

I do have a feeling Gladys is going to get murdered, though. It's the classic everyone is mad at her -- Carly saw Nina arguing with her, Dr. Montague is pissed, Celina Wu, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/13/2023 at 11:00 PM, susannah said:

She is not an idiot. She trusted her doctor, and he told her it was an anti-depressant, or for anxiety, 

When he gave her the first bottle of pills, she was of sound mind. She knew what she was doing and she didn't even read the bottle?  Just blindly took it and started popping them, a recovering drug addict? That's stupid and idiotic. People read labels when they buy things at the grocery store. 

I don't know who was worse today. Spencer for his utter disregard of Trina's schooling to go ditch for vacation and her working, wanting her to  just quit her job and go work at some fancy art place that he hooked her up with because she doesn't need a piece of paper. 

Or Trina for not shutting him down more so than she did. She should have stopped it a lot more severe than she did and been pissed he spoke to her like that . She also should have brought up what is he doing with his life? Where is he intending to work? What kind of job is he going to get or is he just going to live off his trust fund money for the rest of his life? 

12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

t's up to a psychiatrist and not Sam to let Cody out. Sam can make medical decisions for Cody but they would have to convince the psychiatrist that Cody really isn't suicidal before Cody could leave.

So then, wouldn't it just be as easy as finding that psychiatrist and saying "just kidding it was all a fake" and having him release Cody.  Although the doctor probably wouldn't want it known that he placed a patient at a mental health facility for the CRIMINALLY insane when he wasn't legitimately sick.  

5 hours ago, Artsda said:

When he gave her the first bottle of pills, she was of sound mind. She knew what she was doing and she didn't even read the bottle? 

I get that it's a show and they do stupid things for plot point, but do Americans really get bottles of pills from doctors?  Do you not need a prescription to be filled by a pharmacist?!!

How did Trina fall upwards into Spencer's arms?  She wasn't on a ten foot ladder where a fall would land her on the person beneath her.  It was a two step step stool ladder type.  She falls she ends up on the floor not on someone else.  So dumb.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

I get that it's a show and they do stupid things for plot point, but do Americans really get bottles of pills from doctors?  Do you not need a prescription to be filled by a pharmacist?!!

IKR. If the prescription had been sent to a pharmacist, then they might have been scratching their head over the meds Dr. Evil gave her.

The show doesn't know how to write character driven stories. They just know how to do plot points to move them from point A to point C, while skipping all the rest. It's like going straight to jail in Monopoly. Don't pass Go, don't collect $200.

• Like 4

The show also needs to dumb down the characters for their stories to work. Like the show decided to foreshadow the coming of Cody, they had Mac think Felicia was pregnant. Or when they had Brook Lynn act as if she was at the mercy of Lincoln when her family has enough money to tie him up in the courts until the end of time. Or when they have the Corinthii act like Nina had Sonny tied up in a basement for six months - HE WAS FREE TO FIND HIS FAMILY ANY TIME HE WANTED TO - HE JUST DIDN'T WANT TO - THAT'S WHAT YOU SHOULD BE MAD ABOUT, MICHAEL YOU IDIOT!!! 

• Like 4
  • Applause 7

Yeah, no doctor has ever handed me a bottle of pills.  And when I am prescribed something I always  look it up online before taking it, and then I often ask the pharmacist additional questions.  It's not realistic at all, but I love Sasha and Cody together so I just roll my eyes and try and ignore it. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Artsda said:

Where is [Spencer] intending to work? What kind of job is he going to get or is he just going to live off his trust fund money for the rest of his life? 

Spencer, work? Ha! He whined every second of the few months he was at Kelly's, and Cam did the heavy lifting there. Spencer hasn't even shown interest in where is trust fund is, you know, the stuff that is supporting him being able to ostentatiously take his girlfriend to New York for a weekend. Ugh. The show never has him acknowledge his obscene privilege in any meaningful fashion.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

When he gave her the first bottle of pills, she was of sound mind. She knew what she was doing and she didn't even read the bottle?  Just blindly took it and started popping them, a recovering drug addict? That's stupid and idiotic. People read labels when they buy things at the grocery store.

She did ask him if they were addictive and told him that she had addiction issues, and if there would be any problems taking them alongside her anti-depressants.

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Spencer, work? Ha! He whined every second of the few months he was at Kelly's, and Cam did the heavy lifting there. Spencer hasn't even shown interest in where is trust fund is, you know, the stuff that is supporting him being able to ostentatiously take his girlfriend to New York for a weekend. Ugh. The show never has him acknowledge his obscene privilege in any meaningful fashion.

While he kept whining about how she shouldn't working at the gallery and she has to explain to him why that's the place she wants to be. She's doing something she enjoys, working with someone she has a great rapport with. Shut the hell up, Spencer.

He is so difficult to like. Spencer has no self-awareness about his privilege. He as an over-indulged child who is now an over-indulged adult. 

• Like 5
Just now, YaddaYadda said:

Spencer has no self-awareness about his privilege. He was an over-indulged child who is now an over-indulged adult. 

Yeah I have no real issue with him living off his trust fund if that's what he wants to do, but he should at least acknowledge that not everyone is as fortunate. And when his girlfriend says she WANTS to work at the gallery, and explains WHY, he should respect that and not push her to take a job at a fancy museum where she'll be supervising others and not actually doing what she truly enjoys.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

working with someone she has a great rapport with

If that person weren't Ava, I think Spencer wouldn't object quite as much to Trina working at the gallery. I'm fine with Spencer never getting along with Ava, but he's got to stop slagging her in front of Trina. Ava is doing wonderful things for Trina—and vice versa—and he needs to accept that and STFU about it. It's not Spencer's place to police who Trina spends her time with. Who does he think he is, Portia?

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Who does he think he is, Portia?

Even this control freak relented on Ava. 

Frankly, Spencer's hatred of Ava was the dumbest thing ever. He, of all people, should get why Ava did what she did because of her burned face situation. Spencer had a small scar from the fire he was caught in and he went all phantom of the opera. He went full prick about it.

But it seems like they're gearing up for another I hate Ava round when he finds out that she's the reason Nikolas hasn't been around.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1