Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

New fanwank:

Nelle returns from the dead and becomes good just as Willow goes dark and creepy (and turns out to be some kind of mass murderer).  And when she falls off the Windamere parapet to her death, she drags Michael with her.  

I think Nina's hair is a brighter blonde, but Carly's is a weird gray blonde to me.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
2 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I think Nina's hair is a brighter blonde, but Carly's is a weird gray blonde to me.

I suspect LW switched to this ash blonde color a few years ago because it helps hide the grays hit it’s not flattering at all. If anything, it makes her skin look more orange

• Like 7
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Also, they’ve been dragging this out so long that I don’t think Nina is the match 

Same. And of course the hateful twits will blame Nina for not being a match. 

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

Technically Nina should maybe match by half - and only ever half. A sibling is always the best candidate for a match.

A fraternal sibling is only a 50% match too. I don't understand why a sibling is better than a parent.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

A fraternal sibling is only a 50% match too. I don't understand why a sibling is better than a parent.

I just did a little quick googling, and this seems to be the most clear explanation:

The optimal donor is a histocompatible (HLA) matched relative who is usually a sibling or, in rare cases, a parent or grandparent with identical HLA tissue typing. Everyone inherits two sets of chromosomes containing HLA genes, four genes per set. One set comes from their father and one from their mother, for a total of eight genes. There is a one in four, or 25 percent, chance that any brother or sister will have inherited the same two sets of HLA genes as the patient. For a parent to be "matched" with his or her child, both parents must by chance have some HLA genes in common with each other. It is very unlikely, about a one in a million chance, for two unrelated individuals to have the same HLA genes in common, and there is only a one in 200 chance that a parent and child will be HLA matched.

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I suspect LW switched to this ash blonde color a few years ago because it helps hide the grays hit it’s not flattering at all. If anything, it makes her skin look more orange

The gray decor of the sets also make some of them look really orange. I couldn't figure out if it was the lighting or overuse of fake bake, but eventually decided it had to be a combination of both because some people look normal colored, others slightly orange, and some look like they're in the midst of a passionate love affair with beta carotene. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
15 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Also, they’ve been dragging this out so long that I don’t think Nina is the match 

I'm right there with you on this. And they decided to do this whole thing step-by-step too. Let's swab the cheek, let's draw the blood . . . her insistence that she is a match, her whole idea that she will be the one to save the thing. Rule of thumb is that she probably will have nothing to do with it. 

I'm fine if Willow died. She has been even more insufferable from her hospital bed with everyone gathering at her side to tell her how beautiful, good, kind, strong, brave she is. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 8
  • Applause 5
51 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm fine if Willow died. She has been even more insufferable from her hospital bed with everyone gathering at her side to tell her how beautiful, good, kind, strong, brave she is. 

You know if that happens that will set up another boring custody suit where Nina will go after custody/visitation over her grandchildren.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, CeChase said:

It brought me back to reading a while ago, years ago now, that Burton had it written into his contract that Jason couldn't lose a fistfight.

Ha. Random but somewhat connected: I saw Jack Wagner on a talk show in the late '90s, and he was lamenting that when he was on General Hospital, he always won fights, but on Melrose Place, he always got his ass kicked. I'd say Steve's reversal might still to be come, but the likelihood of him being on anything that isn't a daytime soap at this point is vanishingly small. 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Blackie said:

someone should have told Nina it was only a 1/200 chance of a match before she decided she was saving Willow.

Honestly, whenever i watch the soap medical stuff like cancer and transplants - I am like didn't any of y'all read Lurlene McDaniel growing up? Because she covers all of this in her books.  A lot of times parents (and siblings) end up not being matches at all. I would have to think thats why a lot of times now people try to have those genetic match babies because they are desperate.

But it would have been really nice had they stressed that Nina may not be a match even though they are blood related. 

Truthfully, I have no sympathy for Willow. none. zilch. and honestly Nina is better off not having Willow in her life. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Nina may not have a problem with TJ being there for the blood test but I do. He has no reason to be there other than to butt into Nina's business.  since he's not Willow's doctor, it's breaking HIPAA.

I didn't like this, either.  His entire demeanor yesterday seemed unprofessional to me.  "I'm just going to be there to observe the process as Willow's friend."  What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Also, Willow stating "let's hope Nina comes thru" as if she has any power over if her bone marrow is a match.  That's why I'm with everyone else thinking she's not going to be and have a total breakdown.  Which...joy.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, nilyank said:

You know if that happens that will set up another boring custody suit where Nina will go after custody/visitation over her grandchildren.

This is a storyline where there are only losers if you can't stand the Carlys.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I didn't like this, either.  His entire demeanor yesterday seemed unprofessional to me.  "I'm just going to be there to observe the process as Willow's friend."  What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Also, Willow stating "let's hope Nina comes thru" as if she has any power over if her bone marrow is a match.  That's why I'm with everyone else thinking she's not going to be and have a total breakdown.  Which...joy.

PREACH!!!! I wanted to reach into my television and bitchslap the asshole.

It's not as if Willow hasn't cheated before. At least Lucky Larry had an excuse/reason when he thought Patrick and Elizabeth might have something going--he was high on drugs.

Just what are the writers doing? This desperation of Nina's and see-sawing giddiness to tears makes no sense. She's acting as if learning that she's Willow's mother is something both were happy to find out. And oh Happy Joy! Transplant, and then baby! *Rainbows and Sunshine!* Then, in the next breath, she says "I know Willow hates me" and it's true. So why does she think that Willow will let her anywhere near this baby if it doesn't end up a tock?

Willow can die any day now.

And see? Since she's not AJ, SLS is unforgiving toward his mother. Let's see how long it lasts.

• Fire 6
On 1/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, CeChase said:

Another reason Nina thought that about Willow and Tj is because Willow is a known cheater and liar. 

And also I have to say this again….there WAS something going on between Willow and TJ.  Not anything romantic and yes it was none of Nina’s business either way, but they were hiding information and sneaking around trying to hide her diagnosis, and they did a piss poor job of it at that.

• Like 10
23 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I’m thinking that too.  I don’t care if Willow dies unfortunately the character has been ruined for me but I would hate for Nina to lose yet another daughter.  I was shocked Michael went as far as to say Carly was out for revenge and he didn’t have time for her right now, he showed more backbone than I expected.  Of course Willow has already forgiven her.  Of fucking course 🙄 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
22 hours ago, Desperado said:

I’m hoping Anna wasn’t so much jealous as sceptical of the cataphile, who I didn’t think was that great looking. Then again, I can’t see Valentin as a Casanova either.

Her face was so swollen up with fillers she looked like a blow up doll.  Good god, dial it back a bit (or a lot).

Yass Sonny you drop those truth bombs.  No one else has the balls, so this is what we get.  There were no lies in anything he said.  I also like how he was trying to subtly feel Nina out, like it’s quite obvious her mental state is not so good right now.  Nina was there for him when he was going through issues, now he can return the favor.

Cam looks good with the longer hair.  Not so Spencer.  I did love Spencer having Cam’s back about Joss.  He was being a good friend, even if Cam got mad.

Another great dress on Portia.  That’s all I took from any of those scenes.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

Joss can’t possibly think that she’s been as good a friend to Spencer as Cam has been. She’s done nothing but bitch and be judgmental towards him since the minute he came back to town. Also, the fake sympathy for Britt like we didn’t see her smirk the other day when she deliberately hid information that could help find her killer. Poor Cam though. They are setting him up for a huge fall when he finally sees Joss for who she really is. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

Nina: "I'm surprised you haven't heard, I'm a match for Willow Tait."  That's because Austin adheres to HIPAA, the sole remaining hospital staff member now that Britt is gone.

Michael, if you don't want people to know that you're working with Dex, don't talk to him in public places. Also you fired Dex a couple of weeks ago. Did you forget that? Why are you still going after Sonny knowing what Carly has done?

Carly: "Everything that happened to Nina is a result of her own actions." Yes Carly, she was the one who put herself into a coma, she made her twins be stolen from her, she gave one to a sociopath and the other to a woman who put her into a cult and sex trafficked her. 

"Ok, you can dress this up however you like, and this PR job that you're doing all in your head <crazy gesture>... you can lie to yourself but you're not going to lie to me. Nina suffered and you liked it."

"Stop justifying your lies.:  I hate that I have to cheer on Sonny for laying into her.

Spencer, that's not what avoidant attachment disorder is. And Cameron definitely does not have it. But good for you for standing up for Cameron as he lies down and let's Joss walk all over him.

Joss: "I'm not going to avoid the place just because Cameron works here."  And that's what make you a Carly. And a self-centred bitch.

"You're supposed to be my friend too!."  Me. Me. Me. Me. What is it with this episode that I'm cheering Sonny and Spencer.

"It was part of my Hippocratic oath, of I didn't know how to help a patient, I swore I would call you." I'm for any opportunity for a scene with RoHo and KG.

"I certainly understand your desire to murder Carly. I just don't think you have it in you."  Unspoken:  like me and your mother.

squeal>"We have officially finished the seating plan for our wedding!"  How old are they? Marshall is right, they're perfect for each other. And both very selfish that they want to push Marshall into anxiety and a possible psychotic attack because they want him at their wedding.

Sign on the wall: Parking Garage 332-398  No wonder the hospital is always in trouble if they use patient rooms to park cars.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5

Willow is on her deathbed but Michael decides following up on his revenge plot is more important. That tracks. Is Dex supposed to be intentionally bad at this? I loled that it’s been months and his dumbass still doesn’t have anything 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Good job by Austin to get Liesl there to support Nina. Girl needs all the help she can get.

I smell a jail visit to Esmé any minute now.

So Curtis’ dad stopped playing solos to avoid episodes that never happened in 40 years (!) and he still refuses to get a second opinion? Make it make sense because right now, Hat Man is much too pathetic. I liked him better when he appeared to be a villain in hiding.

Did the All. Mob. All. The. Time show screw up my moral compass? 🤔

• Like 9

God, I couldn’t care less about the clarinet drama. Curtis, Portia, and their wedding drama are now FF material.

MB’s halting delivery was really bad today during the scene with LW. I usually don’t pay much attention but today, the pausing…every two…words was…really obvious. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, ciarra said:

But insensitive, because Liesl's daughter just died. 

I disagree. Nina mentioned this news had to be hurting her and Liesl said it was good news and they had a nice exchange. I like that Liesl is not just a one dimensional revenge character and is reminded of how needed she is, by other people who love her.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4

Portia wants Marshall to be tested not because of his own mental health but because she wants to have a 100% confirmation that his diagnosis was correct because of Trina. That's it, that's all.

Michael still plotting against Sonny. You'd think that with his girlfriend knocking on Death's door that Michael would want to buy some goodwill with the big guy in the sky, but apparently, praying at the chapel is just enough to try and purchase a miracle. Well done, puff fish, you amoral piece of turd.

He really is his parents' son.

Sonny has Carly's number. That's what happens when you keep divorcing and marrying the same person for 100 years.

Speaking of having someone's number. Spencer understands what's up with Jr. SheBeast better than Cam does. Your ex is a cheater and a liar, bobo. Looking forward to him finding all of that out so he can move on from her. But Spencer can have Cam's back any day. 

RoHo has different levels of chemistry with everyone, so I really don't understand why they stuck Austin with Maxie. It makes no sense. They could have made them close friends instead of whatever idiocy we had. 

I liked Leisl and Nina's scenes. I guess Esme will have a visit from Leisl shortly. But what I'm looking forward to the most is a confrontation between Leisl and Heather. 

• Like 16
  • Applause 3
44 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Joss: "I'm not going to avoid the place just because Cameron works here."  And that's what make you a Carly. And a self-centred bitch.

"You're supposed to be my friend too!."  Me. Me. Me. Me. What is it with this episode that I'm cheering Sonny and Spencer.

Like there aren't other places in town to get a coffee.  Joss really is just like her hideous mother that not only don't they care if they hurt people, but then expect said hurt people to still be kind and lovely to them.  

And LOL that she thinks her friendship with Spencer is the same as Cam's.  Cam's been there for Spencer a helluva lot more than Mini-Monster has ever been.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 11
25 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly: "Everything that happened to Nina is a result of her own actions." Yes Carly, she was the one who put herself into a coma, she made her twins be stolen from her, she gave one to a sociopath and the other to a woman who put her into a cult and sex trafficked her. 

Carly was talking about the Nixon Falls stuff.

"This was never about Nina." Then why not tell Willow earlier? All of Carly's excuses are so lame. It was always all about Nina.

"I never make you choose sides." As long as everyone is on your side, Joss. Ugh.

27 minutes ago, Desperado said:

So Curtis’ dad stopped playing solos to avoid episodes that never happened in 40 years (!) and he still refuses to get a second opinion?

So dumb. He doesn't even know what they want him to play! 

Of course Joss doesn't have a problem with Carly keeping the truth to herself.

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly was talking about the Nixon Falls stuff.

Nina went to Nixon Falls in the first place becuase Michael and Willow kept her from seeing Wylie.

Then when she found Sonny in Nixon Falls, she phoned Carly to tell her till Carly started shrieking at her on the phone.

So what happened to Nina entirely the results of her own actions, Carly had her fingers in it too.

• Like 3
  • Applause 12

I think it's really important for Marshall to be playing solo at the wedding....so low we can't hear him. (Ba da BUMP)

Seriously, this is the Ashford's strangest yet most boring conflict yet. It's an unlikely issue for a gig musician to be able to get away with and still be successful (you have to be ready for everything), which makes it so transparently a plot device for the misdiagnosis SL.

But plot device or not, it's really rude for the middle-aged bride and groom to get so butthurt that Marshall won't instantly get over something that gives him intense anxiety -- just to accommodate their last-minute whim.

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nina went to Nixon Falls in the first place becuase Michael and Willow kept her from seeing Wylie.

Then when she found Sonny, she was going to tell Carly till Carly started shrieking at her on the phone.

So what happened to Nina wasn't solely her fault. Carly had her fingers in it too.

and just before anyone says "but Nina could have told someone else." yes she could have. But truthfully, i mean two years later thinking about it, that would be news I would really want to tell significant other first. MAYBE She should have reached out to Dante [but like she really didn't have any interactions with any of the other kids at all, and Michael just kicked her out of her grandson's life]. I'm not justifying it - but I do think Carly was the one who should have known first. Which Nina tried to do and then it got all complicated.  

All i know is, Nina owns her poop for the most part. Carly did something equally heinous and only spoke up because Lady Dipstick is dying. What drives me insane is that no one is pointing out if Willow wasn't sick CARLY WOULDN'T HAVE SAID A WORD. and people are still all "you are the bees knees, Carly."

• Like 4
  • Applause 12
32 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

So what happened to Nina entirely the results of her own actions, Carly had her fingers in it too.

Right. That was what Carly was referring to, not the stuff with Madeline. 

For all Carly proclaims that she owns her actions, she tries really hard to push the reasoning onto someone else.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

MB’s halting delivery was really bad today during the scene with LW.

There was one line he really flubbed badly, the one something about your hurt her so she hurt you???  I didn't know who he was talking about Nina, Willow or Carly.

but then he had one forceful line at the end (I forget it already) but he got the whole line out with out halting and with equal force on all the syllables, I actually said WOW! 😆

The show started with Portia and Curtis doing a seating chart,🤮 that is an automatic FF for the rest of their scenes. That made for a very watchable show.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

What drives me insane is that no one is pointing out if Willow wasn't sick CARLY WOULDN'T HAVE SAID A WORD. and people are still all "you are the bees knees, Carly."

Michael actually made that point today. He said something like, "Who knows if she would have ever said anything if Willow hadn't gotten sick." He also told his awful sister that it was not Carly's place to make decisions about Willow's life! I'm glad he said it b/c it's true. 

But that's as far as I can praise him b/c he's still on his  "Sonny-hate train," and you would think he would be over it by now given that his wife is practically dead and life is too short for nonsense but I guess not. I guess Sonny will have to get seriously hurt before he backs down.

I don't know but I do know they need to speed up this plot. It's 2023. It's time for some new plots. Give us Dex's background already and kick this story into gear and wrap it up!  

• Like 7
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I think I actually hate her more than Carly. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

I don't know but I do know they need to speed up this plot. It's 2023. It's time for some new plots.

Tomorrow seems to pick up the dumb story with Austin's cousin. It wasn't interesting in the first place.

The pacing used to be kind of decent—what happened there? Now every story is excruciatingly drawn out to where I've lost what little interest I might have had.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Tomorrow seems to pick up the dumb story with Austin's cousin. It wasn't interesting in the first place.

What's the point of teh big sekrit if Austin and Maxie have broken up anyway?   Austin needs to move back to wherever. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

*Taps mic*

Imagine if any one of the many people who Carly has done wrong decided to keep a secret about her child from her.  Imagine how she'd react.  Imagine how no reasoning would be good enough and the shitstorm she would release.  But, apparently, when the situation is reversed, it's justified.  And fine.  And done in the service of "protecting my family."

Carly is evil incarnate.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

I wish Sonny had said something along the lines of "imagine if Morgan had survived the blast and someone was keeping him from us."

But Carly lives in her own bubble of selfishness where everything she does is justified and you're unfair to her the second you hold her feet to the fire.

Carly doesn't want to understand that this was not her decision to make, even though she's been told by four different people exactly that. 

Her wanting to "protect" Willow and piling everything on Nina's doorstep while absolving herself is peak Carly. She is obscene. 

She should've gotten her face cracked over this, but as usual, the writers are allergic to drama and Carly must always come on top. Years of dragging this storyline has yielded nothing.

• Like 10
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 3
12 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly doesn't want to understand that this was not her decision to make, even though she's been told by four different people exactly that. 

And that fucking head shake/snide look she does every time someone tells her this is rage-inducing. 

Also, boy that apple didn't just not fall far from the tree with Joss, it gently placed itself right at the tree's roots.  Not willing to see Mommy did anything wrong with her lie because she's a liar herself.  I don't relish Cam getting hurt, but I cannot wait until he sees Joss for the unfaithful liar that she is.  The sooner, the better.

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
20 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Also, boy that apple didn't just not fall far from the tree with Joss, it gently placed itself right at the tree's roots.  Not willing to see Mommy did anything wrong with her lie because she's a liar herself.  I don't relish Cam getting hurt, but I cannot wait until he sees Joss for the unfaithful liar that she is.  The sooner, the better.

I wonder what the writers will do to make Cam look worse than Joss. We all know this is coming. Like her mother, Joss can't be hold accountable for anything. She is bold, I'll give her that. Those scenes with Spencer were something. One Carly was enough. Now I have to contend with Carly and the 3 juniors.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

I wonder what the writers will do to make Cam look worse than Joss. We all know this is coming. Like her mother, Joss can't be hold accountable for anything. She is bold, I'll give her that. Those scenes with Spencer were something. One Carly was enough. Now I have to contend with Carly and the 3 juniors.

Spencer was sooo good today!

I watched the last two episodes.  It wasn't as bad as I feared.  Of course, Michael could turn around and forgive Carly tomorrow, but we don't know he's going to.  I think Willow believes she's likely to die, and didn't want to stir up things between Carly and Michela because she thinks he'll need his mother.  And the other anvil has yet to drop; Carly paying off whatever that lady's name was to tell Drew that Willow's birth mother was dead.  

Personally, I feel that LW makes some bad acting choices by never showing any vulnerability or doubt about her actions.  But that's not going to change. 

A lot of things could still go sideways depending on who's the match for Willow, but I'll withhold final judgement for now. 

And Sonny delivered a devastating blow when he quietly told her, you're right, I've changed.  You haven't.  Still scum.  I mean, nothing to be proud of there Carly. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Personally, I feel that LW makes some bad acting choices by never showing any vulnerability or doubt about her actions.  But that's not going to change. 

Pulls up a seat next to you. I constantly see comments about how LW is an amazing actress and it’s Carly’s writing that does her a disservice but I don’t think that’s the case. Part of it is because I found her portrayal of Cassie on GL to be smug and obnoxious and the character wasn’t intentionally written that way at all. The previous actresses that played Carly were able to insert layers. She doesn’t. Her go-to is righteous indignation and looking smug and unapologetic every time. It’s been 17 years of this so that’s clearly all she can (or chooses to) play

• Like 11
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I wonder what the writers will do to make Cam look worse than Joss. We all know this is coming.

Probably ignore a call from her that she was making as The Hook/Heather/Whoever tries to kill her for the 814th time.  This time she'll stumble and break a nail in the process of trying to get away before some random dock dude gets killed in her place.  I mean, it would've all been prevented if Cam would just have picked up his phone!

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
13 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Pulls up a seat next to you. I constantly see comments about how LW is an amazing actre ss and it’s Carly’s writing that does her a disservice but I don’t think that’s the case. Part of it is because I found her portrayal of Cassie on GL to be smug and obnoxious and the character wasn’t intentionally written that way at all. The previous actresses that played Carly were able to insert layers. She doesn’t. Her go-to is righteous indignation and looking smug and unapologetic every time. It’s been 17 years of this so that’s clearly all she can (or chooses to) play

I never saw Guiding Light, but you make some interesting points.  It is a very one-note performance.  

• Like 8
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, ffwbe said:
31 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Pulls up a seat next to you. I constantly see comments about how LW is an amazing actress and it’s Carly’s writing that does her a disservice but I don’t think that’s the case. Part of it is because I found her portrayal of Cassie on GL to be smug and obnoxious and the character wasn’t intentionally written that way at all. The previous actresses that played Carly were able to insert layers. She doesn’t. Her go-to is righteous indignation and looking smug and unapologetic every time. It’s been 17 years of this so that’s clearly all she can (or chooses to) play

Preah. I find the actress without nuance, she has one expression--hard.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Blackie said:

There was one line he really flubbed badly, the one something about your hurt her so she hurt you???  I didn't know who he was talking about Nina, Willow or Carly.

but then he had one forceful line at the end (I forget it already) but he got the whole line out with out halting and with equal force on all the syllables, I actually said WOW! 😆

The show started with Portia and Curtis doing a seating chart,🤮 that is an automatic FF for the rest of their scenes. That made for a very watchable show.

OMG poor Marshall.  I felt so bad for him today.  Bullying this poor man into playing for free at their wedding.  If they are so desperate they should start a gofund me!  Leave that old man alone!  

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2