Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

The whole Liz is pregnant plot was so dumb. Liz is carrying pre-natal vitamins and the only story she can come up with is that she's pregnant? She's a nurse, for crying out loud - what other reason could she have for holding a bottle of vitamins? Maybe for a patient? They Nik compounds the stupidity by telling Ava that Liz is pregnant with his baby? What? Why? It is stuff like this that makes soap operas so easily parodied. 

Also, suddenly Liz realizes that she's put her livelihood in jeopardy? The first time she agreed to treat Esme, who's being held prisoner by Nik, she made herself an accessory. And she doesn't give her parents a little bit of a break for what happened decades ago? Obviously Liz is more than a little deluded. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 9
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

How old is Ava supposed to be? Because Maura West is only fifty, just five years older than Becky Herbst, so maybe let's not put her in a walker just yet.

I don’t think Maura or Ava are too old for it, but if Cam is going to have an unhealthy affair with anyone I still prefer it to be Esme. Hopefully that baby will tock soon and this can be a possibility. Have him find her and save her and have her become slightly more human from that experience. She can still be mostly crazy but let her become Cams biggest fan. Idk something. 

As for Ava, the most appropriate person for her to have an angry affair with right now would be Lucky. Ah well. 

• Like 5

Quite a blah episode today, although I did enjoy the Davis Coven get-together and the Alexis/Spencer talk. I was just sorry it meant him going to Trina.

Austin and Maxie broke up, making it more likely that he’ll leave the show w/ Britt. KS looked great in that coat but her super long fake eye-lashes always take me out of her scenes.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Alexis and the family including Spencer were cute. The rest of the ep was pretty bad though, especially everything at the Q mansion. I wish they said that Monica retired and left town because I’m pretty sure LC left the show. Everyone in that house was annoying and I would have cringed if my 50 year old bf bought me a keychain for Christmas. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Everyone in that house was annoying and I would have cringed if my 50 year old bf bought me a keychain for Christmas. 

But he was so excited about it, Grinch! I share your sentiment.

Drew looked like he was in a rush to kiss Carly the whole time. 

I really can't stand Wylie. Nothing against the little actor who is very cute, but Wylie can go away any day now and he can take Violet with him.

I thought the Davis coven was the one that came the closest to their scenes feeling like Christmas. I liked the scenes between Spencer and Alexis and the general feel of the scenes.

Trina's grief feels really forced. Guilt I get, but this was the first time I didn't feel like yelling at Joss, so miracles and all I guess.

Monica has a cold, does she? She's either traveling to a conference or sick. I hate that all these people are squatting in her house. Because I hate most of them.

• Like 11
6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I thought the Davis coven was the one that came the closest to their scenes feeling like Christmas. I liked the scenes between Spencer and Alexis and the general feel of the scenes.

Every time the coven convenes, I find myself getting lost in the tangled House of the Dragon-level family tree they have. Even Spencer is cousins-squared with Kristina, and a cousin to Dante, Molly, and Sam. TJ must feel so left out at these things!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Wow, Sam was a pill about getting socks for Christmas. KeMo is really making her unpleasant.

Of course Wiley is thrilled to have a sister. I wish he'd stomped off in a temper tantrum. He also should have asked where Grandma Nina was.

1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

Trina's grief feels really forced.

It does, and her family isn't helping, what with the bending over backward to make sure she doesn't get upset.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Of course Wiley is thrilled to have a sister. I wish he'd stomped off in a temper tantrum. He also should have asked where Grandma Nina was.

Because Willow looking upset and Michael "seething" (aka looking constipated) have become show staples.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Every time the coven convenes, I find myself getting lost in the tangled House of the Dragon-level family tree they have. Even Spencer is cousins-squared with Kristina, and a cousin to Dante, Molly, and Sam. TJ must feel so left out at these things!

The Targaryen Family tree is one of the most straight forward one you will find during that period. Just wait if they decide to do the Blackfyre Rebellions. I'm one PM away!

The funny thing about the people present in Alexis's house is that they are as much Alexis's family as they are Sonny's. Courtney's son, Ric's daughter, Sonny's son and daughter. As much as like Dante, they should've stopped Sonny at 2 bio kids. 

ETA: My biggest gripe with today's episode which I forgot to mention in my original post. 

Where in the fuck is Taggert? This whole thing is incredibly lame. If the actor is not available, recast. He should be there and I thought it was glaring that he is nowhere to be seen or found as his daughter is going through something heavy, no matter how forced it is. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
58 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Wow, Sam was a pill about getting socks for Christmas. KeMo is really making her unpleasant.

I’m not usually a fan of her acting but at the same time, she has to be bored out of mind with what she’s gotten the past couple years. She spends the majority of her scenes playing supportive girlfriend or as a glorified extra in group scenes, mostly in the background. It’s a wonder they even keep her on contract when they have so little use for her. 

• Like 6

Soap opera staple: two pregnancies at the same time. Not a fan of either but I'd prefer Willow's to be a tock if one has to, just because Willow, Michael and Carly are being so awful.

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I would have cringed if my 50 year old bf bought me a keychain for Christmas. 

I just got back from doing my Christmas shopping at the Lindt store . Give me chocolate every time.

Flowers work too.  Is anyone buying that Drew's feelings are purely platonic?

• Love 1

I just realized, even though we saw Sam, Drew, and Dante celebrating a family Christmas, we didn’t see any of their kids. Did they mention them? Who would Scout be having Christmas with? Or was she just vaguely offscreen at the Q mansion. Same with Rocco. Was he offscreen adjacent at the Qs or was he with Laura? He could have been another relative for Spencer to be doubly related to. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

2 things that bugged me about todays show:

1-Krystina assuming Alexis was going to criticize her organizing a clothing drive. Why would she? A clothing drive is a good idea, unless Alexis was worried that her closet was going to get raided.

2- Olivia making a face and laughing about Ned performing. Or maybe she was laughing at the Eddie Main part.  Back off Olivia, some of us like it when Ned sings!!!

It looks like Violet may have finally grown 2 inches.

Edited by Blackie
posting glitch
  • Like 2

Did they start limiting how many kids can tape at one time? It’s a little strange that they keep having Sam and Dante’s kids upstairs during the holidays. It’s the one time you expect to see all of the kids. At least making TikTok videos was more believable for kids Danny and Rocco’s age than the craft project that kept them upstairs at the Q family thanksgiving, which somehow didn’t interest the much younger Leo since he was onscreen. 

3 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

The episode was so boring that I was focusing on the tray of desserts Portia set on the table.  They looked like giant linzertorte cookies 😮 

Lol I got distracted by her 4 Christmas trees (may have been more?). I barely had the energy to decorate 1.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I really liked the Spencer/Alexis scenes.  And lol at the age-old staple of "I realized I have some place to be" be used.  It works, though.  I'm not sold on TA, but NAC really, really brings it as Spencer and I want to see if they actually give Spencer/Trina a chance how it will go.

I didn't hate the Chase family scenes, mainly because Gregory Harrison is a silver fox.

Carly stated no one was home, so I can only assume she had to get home to summon the demons of hell and perform a ceremony to prevent Drewfus from figuring out Nina is Willow's mom.  As one does on Christmas Eve.

Finally, don't tease me with Joss and Deadman's Curve, show.  I know she'll be fine. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

That was a weird breakup with Austin and Maxie, although it did reflect the lack of passion the two have shared this whole time. I don't really care if the Austin character stays or leaves, but I would like to find out who this mysterious kingpin female relative of his actually is. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, ciarra said:

Was EMS lady on this show before?  She looks awfully familiar.

I'm not losing my mind.  Much.  She was on GH in 2014, and played a doctor at Crichton-Clark Clinic.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 21-56-17 Allison Young (Alice Rietveld).png

• Applause 2
  • Useful 4
9 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Finally, don't tease me with Joss and Deadman's Curve, show.  I know she'll be fine. 

I totally missed that. I thought the show ended with Spencer/Trina. 

Now I get the Hook's feet from the preview of today's episode.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Hmmmmm, blond, insufferable, propped endlessly by the show, best pals with Carly, and now a bad driver?

Damn! Joss is Courtney! 

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I totally missed that. I thought the show ended with Spencer/Trina. 

It did.  There was a very, quick and you miss it, scene just before it of Joss yawning while driving then bright lights in her face.  Even though she had a bodyguard with her at Trina's Im guessing she insisted on driving herself and the bodyguard probably isn't following her.  So I'm guessing Dex will somehow be the one to find her, bring her back to his dorm room, ugh I mean, apartment and nurse her back to health.  I mean, thats a fresh new story.  

11 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

but I would like to find out who this mysterious kingpin female relative of his actually is. 

I'm guessing the writers would also like to find out who that mysterious kingpin relative is, but they first they need to find out who the hooker is.  

• Like 6
  • LOL 9
11 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I got distracted by her 4 Christmas trees (may have been more?).

Yes.  I understand people who have more than one tree but they usually put them in different rooms not all in the same room, feet from each other.  

• LOL 4

Is it me to does it seem like someone bts is especially desperate to build a following for Joss/Dex? In the span of a few months, they had Joss rescue/save Dex 3 times, had them team up to help Ava and now Joss will be rescued from a car accident. Not to mention all of the flashbacks.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

UGH. What a boring show and makes me oh so bitter, bitter and even more bitter than I already am.

I remember the years of Steve at the hospital reading to the children and when he passed, Alan taking over.

Oh how I loved when Robert dressed up as Santa and gave Emma that didgeridoo! And with his "Happy Christmas!" after Robin returned. and her "you didgerididn't!"

And Olivia can STFU right up with her gafawwing at the idea of Ned performing, as if he didn't have a career as Eddie Maine. She's the same person who the show uses autotune in past Nurses Balls because she can't carry a fucking note.

He can at least sing. He's not some wannabe singer.

And I guess going to see Lulu isn't something Dante need bother with any longer, eh? She's only a vegetable after all.

The scenes with Alexis and her children left me cold. Though I see Show trotted out Kristina.

I wanted to see LAURA. ROBERT. MAC and FELICIA.

Oh, look! Willow's hair not being perfect (the straggling continues) as a sign she's sick. She should be losing that hair by now. Oh, wait. I forgot what show this was and how they don't care about being offensive or insulting to real life survivors.

I hate this show.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH. What a boring show and makes me oh so bitter, bitter and even more bitter than I already am.

I remember the years of Steve at the hospital reading to the children and when he passed, Alan taking over.

Oh how I loved when Robert dressed up as Santa and gave Emma that didgeridoo! And with his "Happy Christmas!" after Robin returned. and her "you didgerididn't!"

And Olivia can STFU right up with her gafawwing at the idea of Ned performing, as if he didn't have a career as Eddie Maine. She's the same person who the show uses autotune in past Nurses Balls because she can't carry a fucking note.

He can at least sing. He's not some wannabe singer.

And I guess going to see Lulu isn't something Dante need bother with any longer, eh? She's only a vegetable after all.

The scenes with Alexis and her children left me cold. Though I see Show trotted out Kristina.

I wanted to see LAURA. ROBERT. MAC and FELICIA.

Oh, look! Willow's hair not being perfect (the straggling continues) as a sign she's sick. She should be losing that hair by now. Oh, wait. I forgot what show this was and how they don't care about being offensive or insulting to real life survivors.

I hate this show.

I do not even recognize Molly any more.  Free TJ!

I thought I saw LC in the credits recently, but she’s not been on since ~February.  With all the filler in yesterday’s show, a 15-second fake phone call from her in some exotic location or with a new beau might’ve been nice.  Monica’s getting close to Lulu-levels of non-mention.

The Alexis/Spencer scenes were yesterday’s highlight for me, a good callout to the dark Cassadine history and reminder that Alexis is part of it. Solid familial chemistry between NLG and NAC too.

The enigma that is Austin continues.  Now with no ties to Maxie, he’s left with the thin mob doctor plot.  Time to let RoHo go, or create yet another character for him?

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

And Drew took the Qs gathering over spending Christmas Eve with his daughter for the first time in years. 

To be fair, he did spend Thanksgiving with her even though she was upstairs offscreen the entire time and saw her on Christmas last year and spent NYE with her. It’s possible that he’s spending Christmas day with her. I think that’s about normal for holidays when the parents aren’t together. At least they say where Scout is. Do they ever mention Donna being MIA whenever Carly is spending holidays with the Qs? That’s far more egregious 

6 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

To be fair, he did spend Thanksgiving with her even though she was upstairs offscreen the entire time and saw her on Christmas last year and spent NYE with her. It’s possible that he’s spending Christmas day with her. I think that’s about normal for holidays when the parents aren’t together. At least they say where Scout is. Do they ever mention Donna being MIA whenever Carly is spending holidays with the Qs? That’s far more egregious 

you're right under normal circumstances, but dude was just in a cement cell for years and only held on because of the thought of his beloved daughter, stared at her photo all day,  thought of nothing but her, blah blah blah. i mean, the first set of holidays after all that should be pretty important to him IMO.

ETA: wait, is this not his first christmas home? good lord, how long has this guy been on my screen?

Edited by VioletMarx
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

So I'm guessing Dex will somehow be the one to find her, bring her back to his dorm room, ugh I mean, apartment and nurse her back to health.

And have sex with her. I know you meant have sex with her, so I took it upon myself to fix it for you.

I accept e-transfers.

• LOL 8

If there was any proof that Monica and Tracy were single handedly responsible for any interest in the Qs for the past decade, these Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations sealed the deal. I never thought the show could make the Qs ffw material but they did it. The holidays and all of their parties this year have been the worst

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
20 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Do they ever mention Donna being MIA whenever Carly is spending holidays with the Qs? That’s far more egregious 

Yesterday she said Donna was with Sonny.

And "Avery is with her mother."  Like, bitch, yeah she is.  That kid isn't yours, you baby hoarder.

• Applause 3
  • Love 3

I’ve loved Roger since OLTL. I’m neutral on Austin because they haven’t done much with him. He started off interesting. I’m somewhat interested in this female relative of his.

IMO, the writers just need to write for him. That would help immensely. I know many here hated Franco, but the character worked and was perfectly fine. He didn’t need to die, but they killed him off and brought Roger back. They need to develop his new character. Austin could still hook up with Ava, Liz, or Carly. Roger has great chemistry with all three actresses. 

If Roger wants to leave, that’s fine but I don’t think he should be fired or anything! They literally don’t write for him. He can’t do anything with the limited scripts he gets. 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

If there was any proof that Monica and Tracy were single handedly responsible for any interest in the Qs for the past decade, these Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations sealed the deal. I never thought the show could make the Qs ffw material but they did it. The holidays and all of their parties this year have been the worst

I didn’t think about it until reading this, but yesterday’s Q get-together was written and shot like three separate scenes sharing one set: Carly/Drew, Olivia/Ned/BL, and Millow + Wiley.

1 hour ago, lala2 said:

If Roger wants to leave, that’s fine but I don’t think he should be fired or anything! They literally don’t write for him. He can’t do anything with the limited scripts he gets. 

Definitely agree that’s the underlying issue here.  Austin has been written aimlessly for over 18 months now so I’ve lost faith in their finding a direction.

(Edited to add) I forgot this from yesterday: are the fireplaces they use on set real flames?  The scenes with Joss and Trina had them sitting very close to the fire/“fire” which would’ve been really hot and possibly dangerous!

Edited by mbluecpa
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I doubt he's in danger of getting fired. He's had 3 different characters. But this whole Austin situation was not very well thought out. They could have taken their time to conceive a new character, but they didn't because they never do. See Cody and wannabe Shakespeare.

I actually forgot Austin and Maxie broke up 5 seconds after they did and I think there was a missed opportunity with Britt. 

I think what they can do is have Austin stick to the hospital side of things, in doctor mode while they maybe come up with a clear and concrete idea of what to do with him. That whole thing with the cousin coming in, for I'm assuming having to treat gunshot wounds or whatever that Austin wouldn't report was just dumb AF. I hate cryptic shit. It tells me the writers don't know. 

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I actually forgot Austin and Maxie broke up 5 seconds after they did and I think there was a missed opportunity with Britt. 

Truthfully I didn’t even remember they were together until they started bringing up the crap with Spinelli and Maxie distrusting him. They were hardly on together and didn’t have any SLs together. It was like they were coming up with new pairings for everyone and those 2 were the leftovers so they got shoved together and dated mostly offscreen. Also, not to be mean, but Roger looked ancient and out of place anytime he was around Maxie and her crew. They probably should have kept him around Ned/Olivia, Valentin and made him pals with someone like Finn. They looked like his peers. 

• Like 6

@YaddaYaddaand @mbluecpa - I couldn’t agree more with you both. It’s clear they have no idea what to do with Austin. It’s like they stopped trying to connect him to the Qs once he lost his petition. They barely spent any time developing his relationship with Maxie. He disappeared for months, and then they’ve teased this shady business with his cousin for months! It’s ridiculous! 

Like most of their stories, they need to figure out what story they want to tell and then start telling it! And properly pace it! Don’t let any story dominate for weeks on end or let others disappear for weeks! 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Lol I got distracted by her 4 Christmas trees (may have been more?). I barely had the energy to decorate 1.

6 including the two on either side of the fireplace, plus another six white ceramic ones on the table. it was like they raided a Hallmark storehouse.

Socks for everyone is a traditional Christmas present Sam.

Alexis: "Christmas is the time for dysfunctional families."  lol

Does Finn live at Maxie's apartment building? That poorly-applied white pain on brick is not a good look.

Maxie breaking up with Austin because Austin used Spinellii;s illegal activities against him for something pretty benign is really stupid.

Brook Lynn's hair shirt came off as so phony. You didn't get caught up, you ignored what Chase repeatedly told you.

I hated Wylie saying "Bye Grandma" to Carly when Nina is not allowed to see him at all and Sonny has to give his presents anonymously.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You're right. This is a poor and selfish Christmas.

16 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

The episode was so boring that I was focusing on the tray of desserts Portia set on the table.  They looked like giant linzertorte cookies 😮 

runs off to look up the recipe

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Carly; "When Kristina comes home for Christmas"   Kristina is home, she's with her mother and her family. You're not her parent, she doesn't and didn't live with you, and it's bad enough that Ava brought Avery to you so you could insult her. (And at the end, they don't wait for Kristina.

LOL Trina telling Spencer "shoes off". But no one has ever taken their shoes off before going in before. Trina is still wearing hers.

"You know, if I want you to take your clothes off, you'll know." A good line, completely wasted on Joss and Dex.

Re Dex and Joss's word game  --  Me: nauseous

What are Wyndermere linen's made of that moths eat them? No linen.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly; "When Kristina comes home for Christmas"  

I haven’t watched yet but I think she meant the movie Christina Comes Home from Christmas. They stole it from OLTL but it gets mentioned every Christmas 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly; "When Kristina comes home for Christmas"   Kristina is home, she's with her mother and her family. You're not her parent, she doesn't and didn't live with you, and it's bad enough that Ava brought Avery to you so you could insult her. (And at the end, they don't wait for Kristina.

Was that a OLTL in joke? Christina Comes Home for Christmas was an in-universe Christmas movie in Llanview. https://www.soapsindepth.com/posts/general-hospital/christina-comes-home-for-christmas-on-gh-everything-you-need-to-know/amp

Edited by lizzbert
  • Useful 2

I've been working from home this week, so I've been able to catch this show for the first time in at least a year, and I'm already over Jocelyn and Dex. 

Trina and Spencer though? When she brushed a snowflake off his cheek? *chef's kiss*

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

Having Joss flirt and kiss another guy over and over again without a hint of remorse isn’t cute and I still think both lack charisma. Wasn’t Cam her best friend before they got together? This is so gross. 

I firmly believe she hasn’t broken up with Cameron or told anyone outside of Carly what’s going on because she cares more about saving face and not getting called out for being a cheater or treating Cameron poorly like she constantly does to others. She’s way too sensitive to be able to take it when others turn it around on her.

• Like 2
  • Applause 10
55 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly was leaving a voicemail for Joss that she has the film When Christina comes home for Christmas all ready to play when she gets there. It is from OLTL and it supposed to be like It's A Wonderful Life although it sound like a bad parody of a  Christmas Hallmark movie.

• Useful 2
41 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I firmly believe she hasn’t broken up with Cameron

She hasn't and I don't know why unless she doesn't want to hurt his feelings before Christmas.  But if they keep throwing her and Dex together and she's showing no remorse, it's just a bad look for her.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 3