Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

The beginning is where Elizabeth says that Lucky has missed a few Skype calls with the boys. At the 1:48 mark, that's when little Aiden shows up and he certainly seems to know who Lucky is and is happy to see him.

(edited)
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Diane tells Alexis that she has to tell the truth about Kristina and the gun. When has she ever told Sonny, Jason or Carly that they have to tell the truth? Diane's specialty is getting her guilty clients off by hiding their guilt.

I’m loathe to defend Diane because I typically think she sucks but in this case, she’s probably advising Alexis to tell the truth because Alexis didn’t do it and is making herself look suspicious by being evasive to cover for Kristina. Her actions would make sense if she thought Kristina committed the murder but she doesn’t. She’s just afraid Kristina will stay something stupid once she’s questioned and the suspicion will fall on her. It’s insane to risk going on trial for murdering a fed because she doesn’t think Kristina can led an attorney direct the questioning and give a truthful statement.

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

How is Lulu needing a liver becoming a story about CARLY "fighting the odds to help her cousin?"  FFS, show.  

Hah. I say that at least 5 times a week.

That look on Carly's face... is she going to send Navy Seal Drew to Africa to save Lucky too?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Daisy said:

for me personally if Lucky was without fail [until he "vanished" and we need to know the reason], without fail building an online relationship with Aiden. is it like. the BEST thing ever? no but he was making an effort 

Right before Lucky returned very briefly for Luke's departure/Geary's retirement storyline, Elizabeth said that Lucky and Aiden had regular Skype chats but that Lucky had missed the last few (because it turned out he had been kidnapped). Lucky and then approx. 5-year-old Aiden had a very brief scene before JJ left again. The next time, the only time, after that Elizabeth mentioned Lucky was at the end of the 'Franco took Cam's place and has Jason/Drew's memories' storyline, when Franco returned home at Christmas. She said Lucky invited Aiden to spend Christmas in Ireland. Since then - until Elizabeth had that scene this week with Isaiah where she said they communicate via video chat and e-mail - there have been no mentions of Lucky being in touch with Aiden.

Laura has mentioned being in touch with Lucky from time to time and someone else - maybe Ethan? - once or twice mentioned Lucky working/volunteering with orphans in Africa. I am under the impression that Lucky has made zero effort to let Elizabeth know where he is and what he's been up to (for Aiden's sake) over the years. 

9 hours ago, driver18 said:

It hasn't been as consistent as anyone of us would like, but yes there has been mentions throughout the years of Lucky skyping, videochatting with the boys, and even Aidan visiting Lucky in Ireland. 

yeah. like i said - Lucky could have done better. and again Liz is fair to say it wasn't like building a real relationship but I really do think it's relative. Lucky could have been off screen "in PC" and taking part. but again I am not going to go. pft bad father because he was technoclose to his child. that's a lot more effort than a lot of parents do. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's my Jonathan Jackson bias (I admit, I love him to pieces and he's the ONLY Lucky as far as I'm concerned), but the show has a horrible track record and because JJ left, the second time, turned Lucky into a deadbeat dad. Which he NEVER was as Original and Pod!Lucky, or Larry. He was a great, loving, and involved father.

They didn't HAVE to write him as deadbeat. But all of a sudden, he had this "dark space" in his head and had to leave to deal with it. WSB? Mercenary? Working in war-torn countries? Fuck that noise. As if Jason was/is any better. Jaysus IGNORED and couldn't be bothered with his children WHEN HE WAS ON THE SHOW. And still doesn't give any bluedilly fucks now that Mooby has forgiven him and he's back in his inner circle. So, Elizabeth, as much as I love you? Shut up.

And also, STFU, Jaysus.

I'm blaming Finola for all the speculation regarding if they were chemistry testing with Anna and Jason, because EWWWWWW. And Robin. She's the one giving him teary-eyed betrayaaaal looks (Just STAPH with the tears!) and come hither looks. Please Burton, say no and refuse. Please.

Yeah, Molly's all unhinged now.

How nice. Treating a hit and run victim like a suspect. Just go and do your own fucking job, Anna, and get the information your own damn self, or go to Robert.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, ciarra said:

Hey nurses, do you wear a huge Princess Diana ring to work?  I would think cluster rings would tear latex gloves.

I’m a word, no. Talk about attracting or passing bacteria 🫣
We also were careful what we said to or in front of coma patients. Sometimes they do remember. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

How nice. Treating a hit and run victim like a suspect. Just go and do your own fucking job, Anna, and get the information your own damn self, or go to Robert.

I'll admit, of all the things that bewilder me on this show, her behavior in the hospital room really had me scratching my head. I didn't understand her behavior toward him at all. 

And speaking of hospital rooms, I really wanted Lulu to wake up and say, "Who's Drew?" to Willow. 

• LOL 5
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They didn't HAVE to write him as deadbeat. But all of a sudden, he had this "dark space" in his head and had to leave to deal with it. WSB? Mercenary? Working in war-torn countries? Fuck that noise. As if Jason was/is any better. Jaysus IGNORED and couldn't be bothered with his children WHEN HE WAS ON THE SHOW. And still doesn't give any bluedilly fucks now that Mooby has forgiven him and he's back in his inner circle. So, Elizabeth, as much as I love you? Shut up.

And also, STFU, Jaysus.

I'm blaming Finola for all the speculation regarding if they were chemistry testing with Anna and Jason, because EWWWWWW. And Robin. She's the one giving him teary-eyed betrayaaaal looks (Just STAPH with the tears!) and come hither looks. Please Burton, say no and refuse. Please.

I agree with you about both Lucky and Jason being not involved/present fathers with Jake and Aiden. However, I understand why Elizabeth has given them way more grace than they deserve. She herself was an abandoned daughter, after getting zero positive attention from her parents up until she was the age Aiden is now. Then factor in the guilt she feels about cheating on Lucky and the uncertainty about paternity when she got pregnant. Any effort at all from either Jason or Lucky to be present fathers to her sons is more than she ever got from her own parents. It's really sad but it's the truth.

I also agree with you about Finola. The first time I wondered what's going on was when Anna seemed to borderline flirt with Jason at the BLQ + Chase wedding. Burton seems to be playing Jason as a dude who genuinely has come to consider Anna a friend, outside of the world of Sonny's biz. That's a rare thing for him. He respects her knowledge and skills and he respects her as the woman who played a significant role in shaping who Robin is. So, I'm sure it stung to hear her say she doesn't consider him a friend right now because she feels betrayed. Anna has isolated herself between her weakness for Valentin, guilt over shooting Charlotte, and the fact that she knows Robert can see her judgement has been compromised. In that isolation, she's giving off really inappropriate vibes to Jason.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

We also were careful what we said to or in front of coma patients. Sometimes they do remember. 

Grey's Anatomy taught me that one.  the Old Sleeping Man woke up and spilled all the tea to team MAGIC. it was great lol. They were like "you know all of this?" and he was like "I was asleep in a coma not dead." hahaha

Maybe Fionla is crying all the time because she is pissed off. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, tessaray said:

That look on Carly's face... is she going to send Navy Seal Drew to Africa to save Lucky too?

I mentioned earlier I thought this would happen. The look on Carly's face when Brennan said he didn't have a Seal team was too pointed otherwise. Ugh. 

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

that's a lot more effort than a lot of parents do. 

The show used Lucky contacting his family as a plot point, so I can't get too annoyed that it was erratic. TFGH. There's no excuse for Jason abandoning his family in service to Carly's, though.

40 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

However, I understand why Elizabeth has given them way more grace than they deserve.

What good does Elizabeth trashing Jason and Lucky to their kids do? Let them figure out how they feel about their dads on their own. It's their relationship to deal with, not hers.

55 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

As always, I am amazed the show has never had a coma patient wake up and tell all. The drama is RIGHT THERE. So of course this fakakta show ignores it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

They made a lot of mentions of Lucky skyping or video chatting with the kids over the years, but it's still not enough. I would lean heavily on the psychological damage/trauma stuff RC hinted at in order to deal with some of this tbh, and make it clear Lucky was terrified of hurting his family. That's something you can work with at least.

I would also want them to remember that he was a loving and devoted father to Cameron and Jake for a number of years, but that requires post-2012 GH to juggle too many balls re: parental relationships - they only ever seem to be able to handle dealing with the bio-parent being the 'real' parent, provided of course Roger Howarth is not on the show. They prefer heavily simplifying this stuff most of the time. So I fully expect them to boil it down to just Aiden, who he barely raised at all.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, jsbt said:

they only ever seem to be able to handle dealing with the bio-parent being the 'real' parent, provided of course Roger Howarth is not on the show

Or Mooby. They trashed and vilified AJ so that he would appear the better father to the SLS.

3 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I would lean heavily on the psychological damage/trauma stuff RC hinted at in order to deal with some of this tbh, and make it clear Lucky was terrified of hurting his family.

Didn't JJ's Lucky say that when he came up with that "darkness" line? I'm blanking on all of the out of character shit with his Lucky, when JJ left the last time. Was it after Shiobhan's murder?

Still, there was no need to trash Lucky and turn him into a deadbeat father.

Except first Guza and now Frank are just petty arseholes and it's how they roll.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Sheesh - Molly's law license should be in jeopardy for her irresponsible behavior. Does she really think that she's "helping" the investigation by telling the police that Kristina hated Cates (which the cops would already know since she had an intense, angry conversation with him right there in the PCPD headquarters) and that she had no alibi (again, reasonable police work would bring that up). Molly has little but speculation about what happened, making her equal to someone on a tip line. As a lawyer in the district attorney's office, though, Molly should be aware that her allegations are not helpful. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
23 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

There's a ton of drama with her sisters and she has no involvement in that. The writers have fazed the character out and I think that it sucks for someone who has been with the show for 20 plus years.

It’s really bizarre.  There must have been a lot of bts tea because this isn’t making any sense.  You wanna get rid of Kelly fine, she has been phoning it in for a long time (not entirely her fault, a lot has to do with writing). But why not recast especially when you already have an established temporary actress playing the part?!  The Davis coven is front and center right now and it would be great to see all the sisters and their mom interacting.

• Like 8

.I wonder if FH is going on the inappropriate vibes with Jason because unless you're Carly, the only way you're going decent screen time is if you're paired with Sonny or Jason. FH looks fantastic but she is in her 60s.

18 hours ago, Daisy said:

for me personally if Lucky was without fail [until he "vanished" and we need to know the reason], without fail building an online relationship with Aiden. is it like. the BEST thing ever? no but he was making an effort which is more than ke that and I wouldn't fight it. but for me personally an engaged dad is an engaged dad even if Dad needed to use Skype. that's all.

We all come at the show from our own personal perspective.  Mine is as the parent of a child who is constantly hoping and having her hopes dashed even though her father lives in the same city.

If Lucky had the time to fly all over the world in his "humanitarian efforts" he had the time to visit Aiden or have Aiden visit him when he was on vacation in a safe country.

Liz was concerned that  Lucky would connect with Aiden and then disappear again, leaving Aiden wanting more once again. Sometimes a dad who cuts off communication is better than a dad you keep wanting more from but who chooses not to give it to you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

the only way you're going decent screen time is if you're paired with Sonny or Jason. FH looks fantastic but she is in her 60s.

So is MB.  

And SBu is 54.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

My money is still on James, blabbing, at the most crowded event in Port Charles. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Liz was concerned that  Lucky would connect with Aiden and then disappear again, leaving Aiden wanting more once again. Sometimes a dad who cuts off communication is better than a dad you keep wanting more from but who chooses not to give it to you.

which is fair. like again for me i am just defending the technoparent. for me personally, it just shows that he was being engaged. could it have been more for sure and if that is an issue for Aiden and they discuss it i'll be on Aiden's side. because yeah Lucky could have totally been like "okay every few months we meet up in London and we do some home schooling whatever. (or summers/christmas, long holidays). and soak up that time. but as i said I just feel uncomfortable being "lucky's a bad parent." because constantly skyped his kid. he was still connecting. that's more than a lot. [huge side eye Jason]. 

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Didn't JJ's Lucky say that when he came up with that "darkness" line? I'm blanking on all of the out of character shit with his Lucky, when JJ left the last time. Was it after Shiobhan's murder?

That was when he came back under Carlivati in 2015. The heavy implication Ron was going with was that Lucky was dealing with the side effects of Helena's brainwashing and that's why he was staying away, clearly another plot thread he intended to dangle and revisit at some later date which of course never happened. Jonathan and Tony Geary rewrote almost all of their material together dealing with this in a more adroit way in some very good scenes once they returned to Port Charles, but the implication remained.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Carly: I miss that Lulu, the one who got me, the one I got into trouble with. I miss my cousin, I want her back

IIRC, Lulu and Carly were close for maybe 5 years on the show max but they weren’t peers palling around. Carly was more of a mentor or had an aunt type relationship with her given the age difference with Lulu being a teen/very YA during that time period. They weren’t close during the last decade before Lulu went into a coma so I guess we’re going to get a massive rewrite. 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Carly: I miss that Lulu, the one who got me, the one I got into trouble with. I miss my cousin, I want her back

IIRC, Lulu and Carly were close for maybe 5 years on the show max but they weren’t peers palling around. Carly was more of a mentor or had an aunt type relationship with her given the age difference with Lulu being a teen/very YA during that time period. They weren’t close during the last decade before Lulu went into a coma so I guess we’re going to get a massive rewrite. 

UGH. Cujo never "got into trouble" with teenage Lulu. Lulu was just a mini-Cujo until she met Dante and until Cujo spawned Joss.

They weren't even in each others' universe when Lulu fell into her coma.

FUCK YOU, Show.

• Like 10
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

Why does Diane say that Alexis will spend the rest of her life in jail unless Sonny helps? IT'S NOT THE SAME GUN. In what universe would Sonny shoot Cates and then give the gun to Alexis?

Joss goes to Michael about Carly lying for Sonny. Jason spends more time propping Carly and what a wonderful matriarch she is. 🤢 How did this episode become about Carly? So boring, even with SBu's expressions of frustration with her before he goes into propping mode again.. And the writers can miss me with the re-writes about how much Lulu means to Carly, who tried to break up her relationship with Dante.

Also boring is Brook Lynn talking about having children.

Of course St. Jasus will save Lucky.

Is there a reason that Tracy is in such a bad mood or just to give characters I don't care about a chance to beat up on her?

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

So is MB.  

And SBu is 54.

Unfortunately age is different for woman. Just look at Drew wanting Willow when he's got Nina.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Maxie should have been at the family lunch to get her son to shut up/stay out of Cody and Sasha's business rather than defend Sonny and praise Natalia to Tracy and the other Deception women. Enough already with the boy's obsession with spending time with Cody.

I just couldn't watch most of the Jason/Carly/Sonny and their spawn episode.

Hey Carly, you are aware of Jake's existence due to a sexual encounter between Lucky's then-wife and Jason, yes? So, you should know that Lucky does NOT trust Jason. As another poster noted, she is deeply stupid. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Why does Diane say that Alexis will spend the rest of her life in jail unless Sonny helps? IT'S NOT THE SAME GUN. In what universe would Sonny shoot Cates and then give the gun to Alexis?

Usually they act like Diane is the greatest lawyer on the planet who can easily get clients who are 100% guilty acquitted but suddenly, she thinks it’s a forgone conclusion that Alexis will be convicted of murder solely based on the evidence of her maybe dumping a gun and a single instance of her getting angry at the victim because he was railroading her daughter. The fact that they haven’t located said gun (and it would eliminated as the gun that was used in the crime if they did), there would be no physical evidence or witnesses to tie her to the crime scene, and the fact that absolutely no one thinks she could have committed the murder is somehow irrelevant. While Sonny was you know, on the property at the time the murder was committed, has access to unregistered guns, is a mob boss with a long standing feud with the victim, and his “airtight” alibi is his ex wife with a history of lying to the cops on his behalf.  

• Applause 11
21 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

How else can Carly make this about her?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7

I didn't mind Carly and teen Lulu's relationship because I had a lot of older cousins that I hero-worshipped as a kid. So it made sense to me. But I liked Tracy and Lulu's relationship more. 

Coma Lulu has missed some pivotal times with her kids and in a perfect world we would get a lot of layers with Laura and Lulu revisiting some of the those experiences from the other side. But we probably won't. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

That was when he came back under Carlivati in 2015. The heavy implication Ron was going with was that Lucky was dealing with the side effects of Helena's brainwashing and that's why he was staying away, clearly another plot thread he intended to dangle and revisit at some later date which of course never happened. Jonathan and Tony Geary rewrote almost all of their material together dealing with this in a more adroit way in some very good scenes once they returned to Port Charles, but the implication remained.

Thanks.

As to the bolded, the same thing was done--when Tyler left; both he and JJ rewrote their last scenes, and those scenes were the better for it.

My point, and I promise, this is the last time I'll state it, is they, the writers, whoever, didn't need to turn Lucky into a deadbeat because JJ was no longer Lucky/left the show, and they couldn't arse themselves to TRY and recast again. It just pisses me off.

Oh how I wish Sri Rao could sneak in and write for the Spencers.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I didn't mind Carly and teen Lulu's relationship because I had a lot of older cousins that I hero-worshipped as a kid. So it made sense to me. But I liked Tracy and Lulu's relationship more. 

I liked the relationship until it became about putting down Laura vs. Tracy in Luke and the kids' lives, which a lot of latter 2000s material became IMO. But I have no problem with it being reestablished now that Laura is firmly entrenched again.

I sometimes wonder if Tracy and Laura have ever had any substantive scenes about their respective places in Luke's life in recent years since both returned, beyond Tracy slinging Guza-era fanfic about how she was Luke's much more ride or die spouse back in 2008 (and getting quietly crushed by Laura with just a few words, which was great). I'm not sure they have given the superficiality of this writing team. Maybe I missed them. They're so chummy now, which is great but I would like to see more of the change and how they perceive the past.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I haaaaaate Lois talking so slowly and deliberately. It's way more annoying than her Bensonhurst accent, which never bothered me that much in the first place. Lois should use the fake voice for Deception and her real one for everything else. 

If only James had fallen into the lake again during brunch and drowned. I'm so so tired of children being used to push a plot point.

It's so aggravating that the women of Deception are acting as if Tracy is completely off-base for being sure that Sonny murdered Wagger. Natalia barely knows him, so okay, but the others have known Sonny for decades and what he's capable of. It's ridiculous and insulting and I hope Tracy gets to say a gigantic "I told you so" to everyone who sneered at her.

LOL that Sonny and Carly are arguing about Brennan at Lulu's bedside.

Alexis put Sonny in an impossible position? Could Sonny be more self-involved? Maybe if everyone stopped infantilizing Kristina, she might be able to make better choices. Let her fail and have to pick herself up on her own.

Here's hoping Joss ignores Michael's request to leave things alone, and her interference leads to Sonny being arrested and charged with Wagger's murder. We know Sonny won't get punished for long, if at all, but I'd like him have to deal with Joss being the one who started that ball rolling. Let's use Joss being Carly's daughter for good for a change. Carly is always making things worse; it's time Joss does.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's so aggravating that the women of Deception are acting as if Tracy is completely off-base for being sure that Sonny murdered Wagger. Natalia barely knows him, so okay, but the others have known Sonny for decades and what he's capable of. It's ridiculous and insulting and I hope Tracy gets to say a gigantic "I told you so" to everyone who sneered at her.

So true! They all acted as if the idea that Sonny killed Cates was the most improbable thing they ever heard. Why, he was just at the Q's house to have a "reunion" with Carly, not kill someone! Just because there was no real reason for Sonny to be there, even if he wanted to talk to or be with Carly, and he rarely ever went there and he's a mob figure with a history of violence (and this is when he is back on the right meds), there's no reason for anyone to assume that the thing that looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck is actually a duck.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
13 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I haaaaaate Lois talking so slowly and deliberately. It's way more annoying than her Bensonhurst accent, which never bothered me that much in the first place.

That's what makes me certain this has to be a temp thing. It sounds ridiculous, like Sasha's slow-talking nonsense.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Also boring is Brook Lynn talking about having children.

Hey now, if she hadn't been discussing it, we might have gone a full month without someone wanting a baby or talking about a baby or having baby rabies.  Then where would we be.  

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

IIRC, Lulu and Carly were close for maybe 5 years on the show max but they weren’t peers palling around.

If I recall correctly, Carly demanded Jax hire Lulu as one of Kate's assistants because she wanted eyes in the office as she was jealous of Kate.  And that's when Lulu was at her most obnoxious brattiness and being a real asshole to Maxie.  So, yeah, no thanks, I don't miss "that Lulu."

Also, how does Carly make everything about herself?  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

James commenting on Cody's bed habits with Sasha was super cringe, but Carly and Jason becoming the focus and heroes of Lulu's awakening really makes me want to rage puke. 🤮 

Carly: "I'm so very sad and teary to be putting my needs ahead of yours once again Jason, but I need you to endanger your life and leave your family for the sake of mine, even though I've barely given two shits about Lulu for years." 

• Like 4
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 2
5 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Carly: "I'm so very sad and teary to be putting my needs ahead of yours once again Jason, but I need you to endanger your life and leave your family for the sake of mine, even though I've barely given two shits about Lulu for years." 

Jason: "I have a family?"

• Like 2
  • LOL 19
(edited)

I need you to go to Africa, Jason! This will eat up valuable screen time to distract from the fact that we have no idea what to do with you! We'd get you pregnant if we could, that always works!

Edited by jsbt
  • LOL 16
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Maybe if everyone stopped infantilizing Kristina, she might be able to make better choices. Let her fail and have to pick herself up on her own.

We know Sonny won't get punished for long, if at all, but I'd like him have to deal with Joss being the one who started that ball rolling. Let's use Joss being Carly's daughter for good for a change. Carly is always making things worse; it's time Joss does.

I'd like to see Carly deal with that too but I have the feeling she will jettison Sonny faster than he threw Nina out.

I like the competent Kristina that Mulcahy wrote. let's bring that one back.

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Of course she asks it of him because every time she does, he drops everything and saves her. There is a lot of competition but Jason is the biggest sap on this show.

• Like 4

I didn't think anything would be as fucking stupid as Jason taking meetings in the police interrogation room, but Carly and Jason conversing at Lulu's bedside might be close.  Yes, yes, let's make the coma patient in organ failure's room the new place to chit-chat.  Get bent, show.

Also, gotta love the fan fic rewrite of Carly and Lulu's relationship.  Maybe when she wakes up they can reminisce about the time Carly hired Brooklyn to sleep with Lulu's husband.  Good times, good times.

• Like 13