Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I’ve decided (this is all spec) that I want Nina to somehow acquire ELQ stock, so that she can be the crucial vote (a la Lucy) at board meetings.  It would make Drew’s head explode, and that’s how he’d be written off.*

*Finn would try to treat him at the hospital but fail, and Liz would leave him over it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I hope Nik and Ace stay gone. NewNik bores me, and Ace is a plot point that has outstayed its welcome. I’m guessing Spencer will have a change of heart and chase after them, and that’s what will keep him off campus until after the Menendez trial.

Really, Carly? Crimson? I thought you had found your place at Kelly’s  Bobbie’s, hanging out with the Real People (in your totally diner-appropriate silk blouse/ linen slacks uniform) and honoring your mother’s legacy? OK, then. I guess that’s why she was hiring a manager. I hope she hires Esme, who can put on an act of perfect hospitality while secretly spitting in everyone’s food.

Since the show clearly cannot quit Steve Burton, my wish is that after the contract was signed, they told him that he’s playing dumbass Drew instead of Jason. The character with no balls, who exists only to do Carly’s bidding. Too bad Christmas is over, because I could totally see NuDrew in a reindeer sweater.

I don’t think there’s any danger of a Sam/Dante/Jason triangle. I do think there will be a Sam/Dante/Lulu triangle in the not-too-distant future, though. The Lulu references have picked up recently, and I don’t think that’s for nothing. I just hope Emme Rylan is busy when the casting call goes out.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Since the show clearly cannot quit Steve Burton, my wish is that after the contract was signed, they told him that he’s playing dumbass Drew instead of Jason. The character with no balls, who exists only to do Carly’s bidding. Too bad Christmas is over, because I could totally see NuDrew in a reindeer sweater.

So....Jason?  I don't understand why he even wants to play Jason.  I would find it so humiliating to prance around in a leather jacket playing at mob hitman and supposed heartthrob at his age.  I guess a paycheck is a paycheck.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
32 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I just hope Emme Rylan is busy when the casting call goes out.

I don't think they want her back.  Don't know why. 

Both Lulu's were duds, if you ask me, though.

• Applause 3

I've removed a few posts that are starting to rehash the Elizabeth vs. Sam argument. It's been done ad nauseam and does not need to be brought up again.

Also, calling women "hoes" is a violation of the Inclusion policy, and those posts have also been removed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
52 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Really, Carly? Crimson? I thought you had found your place at Kelly’s  Bobbie’s, hanging out with the Real People (in your totally diner-appropriate silk blouse/ linen slacks uniform) and honoring your mother’s legacy? OK, then. I guess that’s why she was hiring a manager.

She can do it all!  Can't wait for her to also get the MC back and decide to take out that wannabe baker Aiden and his silly little business and market her Carly's Famous Brownies for the masses. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Isn't Aurora a publicly traded company?   That's how the whole SEC thing happened, right?  Does Drew own at least 50% of the stock?  Shouldn't he have had a board meeting before firing Nina?

It occurred to me that Drew fired the editor who made Crimson Aurora's biggest asset and is replacing her with a woman whose only experience if magazines is reading them at the beauty parlour (most likely). On top of the insider trading conviction.

How has the board not got rid of Drew yet? Or at least dumped their stocks in this mess of a company ?

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

How has the board not got rid of Drew yet? Or at least dumped their stocks in this mess of a company ?

The show is deliberately ignoring all of this so that Nina can continue to be the Evulest Evul Who Ever Evuled. When will Drew suggest the town gather torches and pitchforks and run Nina out of PC?

• Like 9
  • Love 3
(edited)

Fascinates me that the writers gave us these episodes within a week of reminding us about how good the show used to be.  They could at least have had a character actually shoot themselves in the foot.

Edited by JMO
  • Like 2
On 1/20/2024 at 7:13 PM, ljr said:

Is crimson printed or digital?  nina start her own magazine?

On 1/20/2024 at 7:23 PM, Daisy said:

it's printed (i can't remember if there was a digital version)

I think there is. I recall a story years ago—shortly after Watros took over playing Nina—in which Ava agreed to cooperate with a profile in Crimson to shore up her image. When it was published, much of the reaction from readers was negative. We saw Ava and Nina scrolling on phones or tablets as if the comments they were reading aloud were under the article, rather than coming via email or snail mail. Ava and Nina as besties wasn't a thing yet at that point.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:19 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

BTW, he had totally Crazy!Eyes! when he revealed that. 

Also, it's pretty gross that Carly was all "golly, gee, were you supposed to meet Drew--I think something came up, cut him some slack" and talking about grace and second chances to Sam when she was about to do her bad Alexis Carrington impersonation at Crimson. 

Bad Alexis Carrington impression is spot on :):)

I think what also makes Drew especially obnoxious is in the previous episode he had that great conversation with Anna where they talked about how consumed with anger they were.  Drew seemed to be genuinely listening and agreeing and then he just turns around and deliberately targets Nina.  Disgusting.

I hope the conversation and self-help book is actually a step in the right direction for Anna to finally get past her angst.  FH is at her best when Anna's the strong heroine will all remember her for.

• Like 12
18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It occurred to me that Drew fired the editor who made Crimson Aurora's biggest asset and is replacing her with a woman whose only experience if magazines is reading them at the beauty parlour (most likely). On top of the insider trading conviction.

I guess that depends on which sycophants are on the board - It would be refreshing if the board was populated by experienced, mature characters, but it probably has members like Wiley, Charlotte, Adam's parents, Liz, and Sonny. I do wonder who the stockholders might be and how they are reacting to these kinds of shenanigans, which undoubtedly cost them money. Forget pitchforks and torches for Nina, bring them on for Drew and if Michael gets singed, so much the better! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
On 1/19/2024 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

I knew Carly would become the new editor. Good grief.

so much for serving the downtrodden and salt of the earth working people who frequent Kelly's Bobbie's.  She got over that in a hurry.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Carly to Nina: "It's entirely legal for Drew to fire you." Actually, no, the  whistleblower law protect her. But this is Carly, who thought that buying all that Aurora stock. That bodes well for Aurora.

Meanwhile Dante says Nik is legally not kidnapping Ace.

Why does this show like to beat up on people who are already down? It's not pleasant to watch.

Carly: "I agreed to be Crimson's editor in chief so that I could see Nina's face when I took something that she loved."  Carly, you have done nothing but take away things that Nina loved.

Olivia is the only decent person in Nina's story, Laura in Ace's kidnapping. Clever of Laura to think that if Esme has regained her memory, she would rain down hellfire on Spencer and Nik Go Esme, go!

I hope that Nina burns Aurora down.

2 hours ago, MarciNJ said:

so much for serving the downtrodden and salt of the earth working people who frequent Kelly's Bobbie's.  She got over that in a hurry.

Carly always was a social climber par excellance.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly: "I agreed to be Crimson's editor in chief so that I could see Nina's face when I took something that she loved."  Carly, you have done nothing but take away things that Nina loved.

it's so great that the death of her mother made Carly reflect about the important things in life.

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

LMAO so Carly agrees to be the editor solely to get at Nina but didn’t think she’d actually have to you know, be the editor? That tracks. Also were her shoes too small because she looked like she was limping when she tried to do that smug strut

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

I'm glad they allowed Nina to retain a semblance of dignity and let her sneer at Drew and Carly trying to run Crimson. 

As always, the rank hypocrisy coming from Carly and Drew gave me a rage blackout.

3 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

LMAO so Carly agrees to be the editor solely to get at Nina but didn’t think she’d actually have to you know, be the editor?

Ugh, I thought Carly would stick to her guns and realize she'd be a terrible editor, but Ms. I'm Independence and Don't Need Handouts let Drewfus talk her into something idiotic. 

Oh, god, that dumb Scott/Lucy/Tracy story is still going on? I really wish the show would drop it with no explanation and move on to something else.

I can't believe Esmé is afraid of Spencer's ultra lame attempt to blackmail her. Her calling him Spence is hardly the smoking gun he thinks it is. But really, she's still out for vengeance? Zzzzz.

I see entitled asshole Spencer is back. Good for Dante for putting him in his place.

• Like 7
On 1/21/2024 at 12:06 PM, lilabennet said:

I don't understand why he even wants to play Jason.  I would find it so humiliating to prance around in a leather jacket playing at mob hitman and supposed heartthrob at his age.  I guess a paycheck is a paycheck.

I would hazard a guess it has something to do with getting to be a big fish in a small pond 🙄🤢

• Like 11
  • Love 1

When Nina turned around at the door sporting those shades, I was waiting to hear, a la The Terminator, "I'll be back."

I don't know how anyone played the rest of that scene with a straight face.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I like how every episode that passes reinforces just how vile Carly is. With heroes like this, you don't need villains. And Drew? Who is this character? I hope his ass loses everything when Jason comes back. 

I forgot that Dante and Spencer are cousins. 

I see that Esme's switch has been flipped.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

So, I'm wondering if I missed something. Someone on FB suggested that Drew would make Maxie editor (clearly not going to happen as he pretty firm on ensconcing Nina in that role).  I said Maxie would never do that to Nina.  The person than said that Maxie and Carly were great friends and that Maxie is close to Carly because she has her sister's heart.  Carly and BJ never even met, so that just seems ridiculous, but I can't remember Maxie and Carly ever being close.  However, I do gaps in my watch history. Is this a thing? Is Maxie closer to Carly than she is to Nina? 

• Like 3

BJ was not Bobbie’s daughter. She was Tony and his wife’s who died daughter. So Carly and bj are not sisters. 

But on this freakin show everyone adores Carly and hates Nina. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 2
2 minutes ago, jacourt said:

BJ was not Bobbie’s daughter. She was Tony and his wife’s who died daughter. So Carly and bj are not sisters. 

Bobbie adopted BJ, so yes, she was her daughter.  However, for anyone to say Carly and BJ are sisters to prove a point of some connection between Maxie and Carly, because of BJ's heart, is laughable.

9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Is Maxie closer to Carly than she is to Nina? 

LOL, no.  I mean, maybe in Carly's mind, but in reality?  No.

• Like 14

BJ was Bobbie's adopted daughter, and the one she got to raise.  Carly was her biological daughter, who arrived to Port Charles fully malformed.  

I never knew Maxie and Carly had any kind of relationship until we were recently told they did.  But maybe it happened during one of my extended absences.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
21 minutes ago, JMO said:

I never knew Maxie and Carly had any kind of relationship until we were recently told they did.  But maybe it happened during one of my extended absences.  

Well Carly was Maxie's surrogate mother in her dumb brain.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7
20 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Well Carly was Maxie's surrogate mother in her dumb brain.

That sent me back to Georgie's funeral, and Maxie's skewering of Felicia.  Of course, Carly didn't attend.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I can't believe Esmé is afraid of Spencer's ultra lame attempt to blackmail her. Her calling him Spence is hardly the smoking gun he thinks it is. But really, she's still out for vengeance? Zzzzz.

I understand her thinking. She does remember now so she may slip up again. Everyone tells her how awful she was and that she MUST. BE. PUNISHED. for it In New York, the maximum is one year in jail so I would risk it but this show doesn't follow actual laws.

Also Laura convinced Esme to admit to breaking into Ava's house by saying that she wouldn't have consequences and that proved to be false so Esme has no reason to trust Laura now either.

If it were me, I would go to the police and draw on being kidnapped and held by Nik and get him removed as a parent who has custody. But really, the show wants her out for vengeance because that's the only thing they know what to do with her.

57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So, I'm wondering if I missed something. Someone on FB suggested that Drew would make Maxie editor (clearly not going to happen as he pretty firm on ensconcing Nina in that role). 

I read on Twitter that Carly had no experience in hotel management and she made the Metro Court a success. (She also made Bobbie's a roaring success by adding flowers to the tables) so she will be a brilliant editor at Crimson. (Why did I bother paying for an education when I could just step into a senior management role like Carly does?)

Maxie would be a better editor than Carly because she has at least some experience but Drew's brain has been extracted and he thinks that Carly is the be-all and end-all.

I'm hoping for Nina to take the high road and start a media company that buries Aurora.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

If it were me, I would go to the police and draw on being kidnapped and held by Nik and get him removed as a parent who has custody. But really, the show wants her out for vengeance because that's the only thing they know what to do with her.

Esmé really needs to talk to a lawyer before she goes off half-cocked, but of course she won't.

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Maxie would be a better editor than Carly because she has at least some experience but Drew's brain has been extracted and he thinks that Carly is the be-all and end-all.

I'm legit a bit surprised Drew seriously considered Carly as editor. I can see him asking her to pretend should would just to stick it to Nina—he clearly wanted to hurt her as deeply as possible, and that would certainly do it—but to expect that Carly would actually want to run Crimson? It's another example of him arranging someone else's life to his desires, the way he blithely decided to put Scout into private school without talking to her (or Sam) first.

I'm also annoyed the show had Carly agree to give it a try, just because her dolt boyfriend flattered her into thinking she could do it. Putting aside the point that Carly always has to win, it's gross that the show can't have her saying no to something she wasn't really interested in doing in the first place. Women don't need a man's permission or approval or encouragement to do something, Show. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 4

Esme should have gone to her boss, who at least has a background in law.  Alexis might have told her that a good lawyer could have gotten her charges dismissed, and then gone after Nicholas for her abduction, and to settle custody of Ace.  Honestly, I think most of us could easily make the necessary arguments.

They're playing this as though Esme has a split personality, that she's either one thing or the other, but all she really had was memory loss.  Now she remembers what came before, but she also remembers what's happened since, and the new relationships and newfound respect she's garnered.  They should be writing her accordingly, but they are not.  And they are definitely not writing Spencer as understanding this.  Laura seems on the fence.  Hopefully psychiatrist Kevin will come to the rescue.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

'm also annoyed the show had Carly agree to give it a try, just because her dolt boyfriend flattered her into thinking she could do it.

Carly has very little self-awareness, and every time she does demonstrate a little, the show tells her that she's wrong to limit herself like that. If this were real life, it would be abuse.

• Like 4
  • Applause 9
15 minutes ago, JMO said:

Esme should have gone to her boss, who at least has a background in law.  Alexis might have told her that a good lawyer could have gotten her charges dismissed, and then gone after Nicholas for her abduction, and to settle custody of Ace.  Honestly, I think most of us could easily make the necessary arguments.

The problem with going to Laura or Alexis is that they are super close to Nik.  Cyrus was right when he told her to talk to Martin.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The problem with going to Laura or Alexis is that they are super close to Nik.  Cyrus was right when he told her to talk to Martin.

Martin betrayed Nina like a spineless coward, I wouldn’t trust him at all and neither should Esmé.

Scotty? Slim pickings, really.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Daisy said:

it's so great that the death of her mother made Carly reflect about the important things in life.

🤣The one thing about Carly that will never change is her elevated sense of self importance and narcissistic attitude. Oh and her obsession with Jason 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
51 minutes ago, ljr said:

Drew is slimy

He was never slimy in the past

Has any male character survived being Carly's lover? Especially LW's Carly.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

The problem with going to Laura or Alexis is that they are super close to Nik. 

Laura has her head on straight enough to be aware that it's not good for Ace to be in Nik's possession. Alexis not so much, she told Esme that she didn't trust her at all so I doubt she would want to help her.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

So, I'm wondering if I missed something. Someone on FB suggested that Drew would make Maxie editor (clearly not going to happen as he pretty firm on ensconcing Nina in that role).  I said Maxie would never do that to Nina.  The person than said that Maxie and Carly were great friends and that Maxie is close to Carly because she has her sister's heart.  Carly and BJ never even met, so that just seems ridiculous, but I can't remember Maxie and Carly ever being close.  However, I do gaps in my watch history. Is this a thing? Is Maxie closer to Carly than she is to Nina? 

Maxie has never been great friends with Carly and they never had any sort of significant relationship. Not even in the God awful spixie years. Maxie being the town wedding planner(planning Cujo weddings)an'it it like some suggest. So no she isn't closer to Carly than Nina I don't know why they would suggest that outside of there feeble delusions. Outside of her family she has only been consistently close to Sam & Lulu. I would add Brooklyn but GH is inconsistent on that front. It's been more than a couple months since Nina/Maxie shared scenes. The only person Carly was close to outside of her circle was Pre Lante/Dominic is Dante Lulu.

Maxie in character wouldn't betray Nina for Crew. Plus she left crimson for a reason I don't see why she would go back and dump deception.

• Like 9
(edited)

Dante should have arrested smug, rude Spencer.  He let him get off too easy. 

I hope the magazine tanks but with these writers never Carly can not come out as Queen on top. 

Nina walking out if the office with the sunglasses on was awesome. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, JMO said:

That sent me back to Georgie's funeral, and Maxie's skewering of Felicia.  Of course, Carly didn't attend.

Nope and the only time Carly had any relevant thing to say on the subject of Felicia/Maxie, was when ShrewLu went whining to her after the funeral about Maxie dragging Felicia. The same raggedy ass ShrewLu that spent 2 years ragging and dragging her rapist deadbeat alcoholic daddy while being a homewrecker to get his attention. Anyway Carly was surprisingly good she didn't judge Maxie and was empathic towards her & the situation. I don't remember her saying much about Felicia or even said her name 🤔 When Carly shows more sympathy and compassion than you something is wrong. I don't even know why ShrewLu was even at the funeral her and Georgie were not friends.

I don't know why Carly is worried.  It's like celebrities hiring ghostwriters to write their memoirs.  She comes in, puts Carly Spencer, editor in chief, at the top of the page, and runs off to do whatever she wants.  Her attendance and participation is not required. 

And if she's really going to try it, it's not much different than Nina running Crimson and the Metro Court at the same time. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I forgot that Dante and Spencer are cousins. 

How is that? Is it because of Spencer's mom that passed? I can't remember her name. I think she was already dead when I started watching the show.

2 minutes ago, Laina said:

How is that? Is it because of Spencer's mom that passed? I can't remember her name. I think she was already dead when I started watching the show.

Spencer’s mom was Sonny’s sister, making Spencer one of the five mutual relatives Dante and Sam share. Though Spencer is also related to Lulu and when he was a kid, referred to Dante as Uncle Dante as a result. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Laina said:

Courtney.  and yes

12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, god, that dumb Scott/Lucy/Tracy story is still going on? I really wish the show would drop it with no explanation and move on to something else.

I would much rather watch Tracy/Scott any day of the week than having to watch the two vile criminal characters portrayed by MB or LW. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

You missed that the show has completely retconned Carly's history and now she is; Friend To All Women.  Sure, you never saw it onscreen.  Sure, it never happened.  But now it did.  Viola! 

• LOL 13

The Drew/Carly Show cannot end soon enough.  "Let's work together and be together and run this magazine in a way we want!"...what could possibly go wrong?  Also, massive eyeroll at them acting like Nina had been running Crimson like a shit show that needs a major overhaul.  

Oh, and gotta love Carly ADMITTING she committed a crime by asking Nina how she knew and then chastising her for ~eavesdropping.  Self-important hypocrite.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, sunnyface said:

I would much rather watch Tracy/Scott any day of the week than having to watch the two vile criminal characters portrayed by MB or LW. 

I think that’s a common opinion but that doesn’t make their SL any more interesting and I think the show relies too heavily on the audience begrudgingly watching a dumb, ill thought out SL because characters we like are in it. 

31 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The Drew/Carly Show cannot end soon enough.  "Let's work together and be together and run this magazine in a way we want!"...what could possibly go wrong?  Also, massive eyeroll at them acting like Nina had been running Crimson like a shit show that needs a major overhaul.  

Oh, and gotta love Carly ADMITTING she committed a crime by asking Nina how she knew and then chastising her for ~eavesdropping.  Self-important hypocrite.

Am I misremembering? I thought Nina and Ava figured it out because they were wondering why Drew and Carly were (very poorly) trying to hide the fact that they’re dating when no one would give a damn that they were together. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Am I misremembering? I thought Nina and Ava figured it out because they were wondering why Drew and Carly were (very poorly) trying to hide the fact that they’re dating when no one would give a damn that they were together. 

That's what I remember, too, but Nina said she overheard Olivia talking about it?  

46 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

That's what I remember, too, but Nina said she overheard Olivia talking about it?  

That seems like a retcon to me to justify Carly accusing Nina of eavesdropping.

• Like 3
  • Love 2